Class of 2025 - RB Malachi Coleman (VA) COMMITTED TO SYRACUSE (4/3/24) | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2025 RB Malachi Coleman (VA) COMMITTED TO SYRACUSE (4/3/24)

The hard part is the money. We just dont have the coinfor all top kids. We need our studs but all these cats are either hugeor fast as hell so i am hoping we save the last 12 or so for the big dogs. In this context, i think we are always gonna be a15-20 ranked team in recruiting instead of 5-10 ya know.

Not unless I win the Power Ball this week. 1.2 billy. S**** will get weird around here real fast, boys.

IMG_5638.jpeg

I was really expecting SPASH Recruits especially after the last cycle.. I am starting to get the old feeling from recruits past with little to no big offers.. maybe I am being unreasonable but I hope to be proven wrong!
There is a big difference. These recruits once evaluate are being rated as 86, 87, 88 and 89. Not 81,82 or 83 in the past classes.
Fran and his coaches can clearly evaluate. These are not diamonds in the rough. These are top players that had not been evaluated. We have more 87, 88 and 89 then any past classes under other coaches. I remember when our highest recruit was an 87 and everyone else was lower. Most peer schools would love to have a class with multiple 87, 88 and 89 players.

I reached out to the recruiting staff about this kid. Out of curiosity about the current state of the team, I just happened to google my old HS football team in Virginia (William Fleming) and stumbled across some highlights of this very talented Junior RB named Malachi Coleman.

I live in NY now so I don't know the kid or have any connections to the school. But I linked Malachi's HUDL highlights in an email and sent to them to the staff. They never replied so I obviously can't say whether they even read the email. But regardless, I'm sure glad they offered the kid. He can flat out fly - there are literally clips on his reel where he's moving so fast, he looks like a blur. Hope we can reel the young man in - D1 size, great grades, super fast; seems like a fit to me.
Very nice. Just stole a kid right out of Virginia Tech's backyard.

Very nice. Just stole a kid right out of Virginia Tech's backyard.
Yup.

Again, that 6.24 55m time is significant. Pretty sure we have never signed a player with that kind of speed. Maybe Jermaine Stafford back in the 1980s.

Emily pointed out in her article today that the 6.24 is 3rd in the US for HS athletes for this track season.

I think there might be a method to Fran's 'madness'.

Many years of following recruiting have taught me a few lessons.

One is, if your team takes a player with no big offers really late in the recruiting cycle, be afraid.

If your team takes a player with no big offers really early in the recruiting cycle, and he is the fastest HS football player in the country, (don't think the two in front of him play football), don't be afraid. Be happy.

Yup.

Again, that 6.24 55m time is significant. Pretty sure we have never signed a player with that kind of speed. Maybe Jermaine Stafford back in the 1980s.

Emily pointed out in her article today that the 6.24 is 3rd in the US for HS athletes for this track season.

I think there might be a method to Fran's 'madness'.

Many years of following recruiting have taught me a few lessons.

One is, if your team takes a player with no big offers really late in the recruiting cycle, be afraid.

If your team takes a player with no big offers really early in the recruiting cycle, and he is the fastest HS football player in the country, (don't think the two in front of him play football), don't be afraid. Be happy.
I’d have to think there’s going to be some roster turnover after this season as well specific to the secondary and skill postions. We can’t have 10 RB’s and 20 DB’s on the roster. So seems like the staff is loading up on kids with measurables they like that can grow with the program.

I’d have to think there’s going to be some roster turnover after this season as well specific to the secondary and skill postions. We can’t have 10 RB’s and 20 DB’s on the roster. So seems like the staff is loading up on kids with measurables they like that can grow with the program.
They plan to play a nickel as their base defense. I imagine they'll have six DBs out there sometimes... 20 doesn't seem insane in those circumstances.

The RB room might be a little too full. ;)

I love having six or eight guys on the team that might not play right away, but that could be nationally ranked as a 100m relay team before ever hitting campus.

They plan to play a nickel as their base defense. I imagine they'll have six DBs out there sometimes... 20 doesn't seem insane in those circumstances.

The RB room might be a little too full. ;)

I love having six or eight guys on the team that might not play right away, but that could be nationally ranked as a 100m relay team before ever hitting campus.
Well when you start looking at WR’s and then look at blue chipper national recruits were still involved with - just a lot of prospects for those positions. And we just keep taking them lol.

The hard part is the money. We just dont have the coinfor all top kids. We need our studs but all these cats are either hugeor fast as hell so i am hoping we save the last 12 or so for the big dogs. In this context, i think we are always gonna be a15-20 ranked team in recruiting instead of 5-10 ya know.
100% agree with you here, I think the financial component is the biggest piece of it all, build your class as Fran has, see what $ is left to try and chase some kids late either through portal or maybe a few kids who are HS seniors.

you have to be able to recruit and draw interest which this staff obviously can but you have to have the money as well And I think HCFB is using it wisely for now but its a real factor for sure and I’m sure can be frustrating at times. Winning 8 games this year would certainly help the coffers one would think

Remember when it was a big deal to get one Brisly Estime or Erv Phillips on our roster? Just to have one of those fast, quick twitch guys that can run smooth, fast and for days.

Well we now have like 5-6 of those guys lol

There will be 3 rb’s eligible to return next year, and LQA could declare.

DB - 14 right now for this season. Clark and Barron are seniors. With a 5 man group 15 -18 is probably where you want to be.

I was really expecting SPASH Recruits especially after the last cycle.. I am starting to get the old feeling from recruits past with little to no big offers.. maybe I am being unreasonable but I hope to be proven wrong!
In a way I have gotten similar feelings at times with some of these signings. Not that these kids don't look like good recruits but It does seem like some of these kids could be taken later and Fran can be more particular in who he takes as we all think he can pull in some higher profile guys instead. But I think the main reason we feel that way is because these recruits are being taken in March and the first couple days of April they don't really have a lot of the offers yet that they eventually would have when we normally sign kids. And because they don't have the offers they are also unranked as the sights like to wait to see what kind of offers they get before giving them a ranking. They heavily weight offers when doing those rankings. I wouldn't be surprised if these kids actually would have gotten bigger offers and better ratings if they wouldn't have signed with us this early as they wouldn't have gotten ranked until they had those "bigger" offers.

Well when you start looking at WR’s and then look at blue chipper national recruits were still involved with - just a lot of prospects for those positions. And we just keep taking them lol.
If you think of all these ~6' speedsters, we could have 4-5 of them on offense and 5-6 of them on defense at any given time.

The physical attributes of defensive backs, receivers and running backs all overlap. But what they need more than just about anything else to excel is speed.

I am going way back, but Miami won a lot of games having giant defensive linemen and a bunch of guys who were little for their position, but just had game breaking speed.

It's hard to block 5 guys who run like the wind at the same time.

It's hard to cover them when they're 4 wide and a running back.

I would say the one difference is this is pretty early in the cycle and all of these kids that are skill position have blazing speed. I don’t think we necessarily saw that in past cycles.

I would say the one difference is this is pretty early in the cycle and all of these kids that are skill position have blazing speed. I don’t think we necessarily saw that in past cycles.
Also, we didn't have the talent evaluators that we have now. These guys were/are ace recruiters for a reason- the best of the best.
Seems to follow they're not just throwing flyers out here, but have actively researched and concluded that these offers are good.
Until further notice, it's AFIF (All Faith In Fran)!!

Thanks Bill for your continuing efforts to keep up with the analysis of these fine recruits. Well done. Always look forward to your insights.
Your welcome. I enjoy every recruit, especially with this Fran Brown team both offers and commits.

And, THANK YOU for all the likes. It is very much appreciated!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cuse702

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom