Class of 2016 - RB Robert Washington (NC) to UNC Charlotte | Page 174 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2016 RB Robert Washington (NC) to UNC Charlotte

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some of us know more than others but there is so much that none of us know for sure that perhaps we just need to move on from the Washington saga. At this point I am more interested in seeing if the staff can flip Bryant or what new prospect is offered. And people there is FOOTBALL this Friday.

Some of us know more than others but there is so much that none of us know for sure that perhaps we just need to move on from the Washington saga. At this point I am more interested in seeing if the staff can flip Bryant or what new prospect is offered. And people there is FOOTBALL this Friday.

So true, CAN'T WAIT FOR FRIDAY!!!!

Interesting how it's gone from biggest commit in recent history to meh.

I hate myself for following every page of this thread.

TGIF can't come soon enough.

I get the rare opprotunity in this matter to see a lot more than most people. I speak to the father I speak to the coaches and I speak to Robert. As a matter of faCt I was dming rw a few minutes before this story came out. I will tell you this much this is a very unfortunate situation all around and not one person involved is happy. Every sides story Is understandable and this was almost unavoidable. You can stop reading into what happened and who's fault it was. This kid will be a great running back I promise you that. I honestly hope the circus hasn't hurt him in ending up at a good school to showcase his skill. I would have loved for him to be at Syracuse and would still give him the 44. He is a well spoken good kid who is stuck in a bad situation. I have sworn off the internet especially Twitter for a few days because i Can't stand the crap coming out of it. While everyone wants to say oh told you so or see this is why you can't bring back 44 the real story here is a family has been torn apart. Maybe letting this go is the right thing for rw the family fans and Syracuse.

I get the rare opprotunity in this matter to see a lot more than most people. I speak to the father I speak to the coaches and I speak to Robert. As a matter of faCt I was dming rw a few minutes before this story came out. I will tell you this much this is a very unfortunate situation all around and not one person involved is happy. Every sides story Is understandable and this was almost unavoidable. You can stop reading into what happened and who's fault it was. This kid will be a great running back I promise you that. I honestly hope the circus hasn't hurt him in ending up at a good school to showcase his skill. I would have loved for him to be at Syracuse and would still give him the 44. He is a well spoken good kid who is stuck in a bad situation. I have sworn off the internet especially Twitter for a few days because i Can't stand the crap coming out of it. While everyone wants to say oh told you so or see this is why you can't bring back 44 the real story here is a family has been torn apart. Maybe letting this go is the right thing for rw the family fans and Syracuse.

Bam I agree with you except for one thing. Whatever happened happened i can respect that. Him Blasting one of our coaches who is unable to reply, i do not. Whatever the reason, let it go both parties move on. Unfortunately he seems like he is trying to find someone to blame to make himself look better.

Bambrewer said:

Well said, Bam.

Bam I agree with you except for one thing. Whatever happened happened i can respect that. Him Blasting one of our coaches who is unable to reply, i do not. Whatever the reason, let it go both parties move on. Unfortunately he seems like he is trying to find someone to blame to make himself look better.
I agree it's a bad look. But again I get to hear everyone's side. The kid feels betrayed the coach feels he had no choice but to talk to the dad. It's a bad story all around. The coach did what he thought was right. The father is scrambling to fix His relationship with his kid. The kid is a 18 year old who has been in the spotlight for years now and the pressure was building. He feels everyone is just grabbing at him for a payday. He is looking for a way to escape the people he thinks are taking advantage and the place he thought he could do it was iN his eyes befriending the enemy. Can you blame a coach for taking a players fathers calls? Every 18 year old feels his parents are out to get him. Try being a kid from a broken home who feels his parents are pulling him in a hundred directions to get a payday from him. can you blame him for feeling betrayed after he asked his coach to not talk to his dad? Again can you blame a coach for not talking to that parent? Try being a father of a kid that every coach in football is clambering to get after a little while of them promising you the world you dont think that maybe that goes to ones head? Maybe dad pushed a little hard... maybe this is a hard process to go through and not everyone handles it as well as others. Maybe dad thought he was doing whats best for the kid. Can you blame dad for trying to get the most for his son? I can tell you this we cant tell what kids have commit able offers to a school who we follow every minute of everyday... you are telling me we know this kids offers were not commitable at other schools. I talked to him and his dad before he went on a little tour of some schools and after I promise you those big schools wanted him they would have taken him. and after that tour things changed. Im not sure what they said to him or why things changed but they did. This kid feels like he has no one right now. He feels he has really hurt his chance to go to any school he had at the top of his list. He told his story because he wants to get into a school and hopes the next school wont talk to his father. Like I said there maybe blame all around but there is also understandable things from every side. Again the bottom line isnt the football part of this. This is a kid and family

Young Robert obviously needs to get far away from his dad. Beyond the selfish hope that all is ok for him as the great RB recruit, we can hope most of all that he is safe and can find a happy place

Not sure about this though.

At the end of the day, this kid is in a rough spot. He clearly has issues with his father, which is sad, and may not have the right people leading him at this moment. Whether or not he is going to recommit to Syracuse seems cloudy at best at this point, but let's not get after this kid like he is an enemy. My goodness, last week he was the savior. Many on here are parents of other players/recruits, so just because they aren't posting, doesn't mean they aren't reading. Let's be better than the crackheads who comment on Syracuse.com.

I wish this kid well and I hope more than anything, that he can repair his relationship with his father. Over the long run, that is way more important than any of this football stuff.

At the end of the day, this kid is in a rough spot. He clearly has issues with his father, which is sad, and may not have the right people leading him at this moment. Whether or not he is going to recommit to Syracuse seems cloudy at best at this point, but let's not get after this kid like he is an enemy. My goodness, last week he was the savior. Many on here are parents of other players/recruits, so just because they aren't posting, doesn't mean they aren't reading. Let's be better than the crackheads who comment on Syracuse.com.

I wish this kid well and I hope more than anything, that he can repair his relationship with his father. Over the long run, that is way more important than any of this football stuff.

Well said.

savior? really ?

last week I was thinking Fredericks might be a savior. (at that position)

There are better ways to handle this then how it went down. That is my issue, him trying to defend the situation made it worse for himself IMO. Hopefully it's a lessoned learned for him and he figures things out. I wish nothing but the best for him.

Last edited:
savior? really ?

last week I was thinking Fredericks might be a savior. (at that position)

Settle down. When that kid committed, people thought they saw the light.

"Savior" was slightly tongue in cheek, but people thought we finally landed that program-changing type of kid.

Settle down. When that kid committed, people thought they saw the light.

"Savior" was slightly tongue in cheek, but people thought we finally landed that program-changing type of kid.

RBs dont change programs but I know what you're saying.

What's crazy to me is maybe only 2 or 3 people have expressed any concern over the fact that this kid doesn't seem like he's enrolled in HS and playing football right now. If those aren't major red flags I don't know what is. Is he going to even be qualified let alone enroll in January ?

Is he so good he doesn't have to play football this year and can just show up on the doorstep and play ? (and demand a Universities' most famous number?

I know this is a thread about Aapri, but again as the other one is locked, a certain person is now on the East Gaston roster and expected to play in his first game.

Oh well. What could have been. Moving on, but just figured people would want to know who hadn't seen that yet (there was an article in the Gaston Gazette).

I have moved this post here...CL

Last edited by a moderator:
This story out of Charlotte explains why DeAndre Smith was calling Washington's father. Hopefully Robert can get his life I order and be a success on and off the football field.

GASTON COUNTY, N.C. —

Robert Washington Jr., a Big 22 player to watch and one of the state’s top running backs, stepped onto the field for a football game for the first time in 315 days.

“It wasn't the school or the football it was the home life it was the issues at home really what took a toll on me,” Washington said.

Washington left North Carolina in February for Connecticut to live with his mother but that situation did not work out and he became homeless, depressed and desperate for help.

“I'm just thinking ‘this is a bad situation how am I going to make it out? Who is going to help me get out of this?’” Washington said.

He reached out to members of his Gaston County church and before long he was on a Greyhound bus back to North Carolina.

“When I'm coming back, I'm just thinking ‘wow, I have been through a lot what am I going to do at this point.

He moved in with his Pastor and enrolled at East Gaston High School and now it was a matter of getting back on the football field.

Promotional pictures surfaced of Washington in a Mountain Island Charter jersey and they were being used to make it appear he had been practicing with the Raptors, a team he never practiced with.

That would’ve made him ineligible to play for East Gaston high.

The adults who were handling the situation they said you shouldn't have to deal with something like that you should worry about your grades.

Former Rep. John Torbett to the Governor’s Office, a team pleaded Robert’s case to Gaston County.

Washington was cleared two weeks ago and returned to the field Friday night.

“(I’m) just really focused on being a high schooler instead of all the stuff outside that was trying to stop me from being what I wanted to be that's how I got through it,” Washington said.

Statement from Washington:

“I want to thank God for all the people that he placed in my life at a most difficult and disturbing time. People that know the facts about the entire situation and cared about me as a person, not a football player.

Gaston County District Attorney Locke Bell, Honorable Judges Hoyle, Gingles, Lands, Jackson and my attorney Mr. Jim Funderburk. I especially would like to thank Mr. and Mrs. Rep. John A. Torbett (R), of N.C. House District 108, for overseeing this whole process. They spoke with me regularly and gave me their personal numbers. Even though Rep. Torbett had numerous meetings concerning the North Carolina budget, he still made time to speak with me. Rep. Torbett informed Gov. Pat McCrory's Office which also took interest in this matter. There are no words to express the gratitude that I have for the Gaston County judicial system, The North Carolina Governor’s Office, Mr. Jim Funderburk and especially Mr. and Mrs. Representative John A. Torbett.”

Edited to include link to story

http://m.wsoctv.com/news/news/local/former-big-22-player-overcomes-obstacles-returns-f/nntTF/

Last edited by a moderator:
BVille44 said:
This story out of Charlotte explains why DeAndre Smith was calling Washington's father. Hopefully Robert can get his life I order and be a success on and off the football field. GASTON COUNTY, N.C. — Robert Washington Jr., a Big 22 player to watch and one of the state’s top running backs, stepped onto the field for a football game for the first time in 315 days. “It wasn't the school or the football it was the home life it was the issues at home really what took a toll on me,” Washington said. Washington left North Carolina in February for Connecticut to live with his mother but that situation did not work out and he became homeless, depressed and desperate for help. “I'm just thinking ‘this is a bad situation how am I going to make it out? Who is going to help me get out of this?’” Washington said. He reached out to members of his Gaston County church and before long he was on a Greyhound bus back to North Carolina. “When I'm coming back, I'm just thinking ‘wow, I have been through a lot what am I going to do at this point. He moved in with his Pastor and enrolled at East Gaston High School and now it was a matter of getting back on the football field. Promotional pictures surfaced of Washington in a Mountain Island Charter jersey and they were being used to make it appear he had been practicing with the Raptors, a team he never practiced with. That would’ve made him ineligible to play for East Gaston high. The adults who were handling the situation they said you shouldn't have to deal with something like that you should worry about your grades. Former Rep. John Torbett to the Governor’s Office, a team pleaded Robert’s case to Gaston County. Washington was cleared two weeks ago and returned to the field Friday night. “(I’m) just really focused on being a high schooler instead of all the stuff outside that was trying to stop me from being what I wanted to be that's how I got through it,” Washington said. Statement from Washington: “I want to thank God for all the people that he placed in my life at a most difficult and disturbing time. People that know the facts about the entire situation and cared about me as a person, not a football player. Gaston County District Attorney Locke Bell, Honorable Judges Hoyle, Gingles, Lands, Jackson and my attorney Mr. Jim Funderburk. I especially would like to thank Mr. and Mrs. Rep. John A. Torbett (R), of N.C. House District 108, for overseeing this whole process. They spoke with me regularly and gave me their personal numbers. Even though Rep. Torbett had numerous meetings concerning the North Carolina budget, he still made time to speak with me. Rep. Torbett informed Gov. Pat McCrory's Office which also took interest in this matter. There are no words to express the gratitude that I have for the Gaston County judicial system, The North Carolina Governor’s Office, Mr. Jim Funderburk and especially Mr. and Mrs. Representative John A. Torbett.”

Yep. Glad the kids doing well.

Given his circumstances, I don't blame coach Smith at all. In time, Robert might come to the same conclusion.

Thank goodness for his church family.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors