Class of 2016 - RB Robert Washington (NC) to UNC Charlotte | Page 19 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2016 RB Robert Washington (NC) to UNC Charlotte

Status
Not open for further replies.
Out of curiosity, where did that idea come from for the Tykes?

Someone on twitter made on for him and then everybody was asking for one and he learned how to do it :)

I watched the game on ESPN3. It was difficult to really see what was going on, but Robert was the primary ball carrier at the beginning of the game. Unfortunately, the game was determined up front at both ends of the field and there was nothing going on up front with the US. The Canadians were bigger, faster, and stronger. I think they are all a year older and entering college and are an all-star team from Canada. The US kids are all juniors in high school and I thought they also looked poorly prepared by their coaches. All in all, Robert scored the only TD for the US from up close on several attempts to push it in. I think he could be a real weapon with a competent offensive line in front of him. Also, they never threw the ball to him. In his tape he is a weapon receiving also.

B8pC-IWCYAIKc9i.png:large

5:26 PM - 30 Jan 2015
USA Football‏@usafootball 11h11 hours ago
Players to watch. #IB2015 pic.twitter.com/KAZm68vYLq

Okay, I haven't stayed up to date on football recruiting, what's the situation with this guy because I haven't seen us go after a recruit like him in a long time. Do we have a legitimate chance of getting him?

Okay, I haven't stayed up to date on football recruiting, what's the situation with this guy because I haven't seen us go after a recruit like him in a long time. Do we have a legitimate chance of getting him?
Short answer: yes
Longer answer from his own mouth: http://.com/gridiron-recruiting-qa-with-robert-washington/

He's very interested in Syracuse. Loves the legacy of 44, hopes they will consider bringing it out of retirement because if he comes to SU, he wants to wear it.

Short answer: yes
Longer answer from his own mouth: http://.com/gridiron-recruiting-qa-with-robert-washington/

He's very interested in Syracuse. Loves the legacy of 44, hopes they will consider bringing it out of retirement because if he comes to SU, he wants to wear it.

Well hot damn. That would be awesome, and I am in full support of bringing #44 back. I'm really amazed we haven't already done it.

Well hot damn. That would be awesome, and I am in full support of bringing #44 back. I'm really amazed we haven't already done it.
Now would be a good time to write the ad an email with fans telling them they want 44 restored. there is a meeting coming up on the subject. Just make it about returning it for the sake of all recruiting not just about washington

Now would be a good time to write the ad an email with fans telling them they want 44 restored. there is a meeting coming up on the subject. Just make it about returning it for the sake of all recruiting not just about washington

Do you have the e-mail handy to message to me or something? I'm willing to do whatever I can to help.

I'd have to imagine it's more effective to e-mail Gross, than the coaches. The coaches know what time it is with regard to 44. It's not the coaches who need convincing.

Well that was fast... Dr. Gross already responded to my e-mail:

Thanks Matt—I have been working with Floyd Little who works on my staff in regards to 44—as you know we currently treat 44 the way MLB does 42 for Jackie Robinson. There may be some rare occasions when we bring 44 out and Floyd is working on those dynamics. Love your note as it makes a lot of sense.

Regards

Daryl

I'd be very curious to see your e-mail.

I wrote this about it, but I doubt Doc would ever read it - http://.com/the-case-to-restore-44/

Well that was fast... Dr. Gross already responded to my e-mail:

Thanks Matt—I have been working with Floyd Little who works on my staff in regards to 44—as you know we currently treat 44 the way MLB does 42 for Jackie Robinson. There may be some rare occasions when we bring 44 out and Floyd is working on those dynamics. Love your note as it makes a lot of sense.

Regards

Daryl
I don't get the Jackie Robinson reference? MLB retire #42 forever and grandfathered the number by allowing players to continue to wear it until they retired. Mariano Rivera was and will be the last one to ever wear it. I never heard of talk of unretiring it under special circumstances.

I don't get the Jackie Robinson reference? MLB retire #42 forever and grandfathered the number by allowing players to continue to wear it until they retired. Mariano Rivera was and will be the last one to ever wear it. I never heard of talk of unretiring it under special circumstances.

I believe they've have Jackie Robinson nights where players can wear 42 if I recall correctly.

I believe they've have Jackie Robinson nights where players can wear 42 if I recall correctly.
You're right. On those nights, I think every player will wear #42 for the game. I don't think it will ever be unretired for an individual player.

One angle I have yet to see be discussed in regards to reinstating 44 is the effect it might have on the locker room.

It's one thing to give 44 to a junior or senior RB who has already established himself at the college level and earned the respect of his teammates. It's entirely another thing to promise 44 to a recruit who has yet to get to campus, regardless of how highly touted he is.

When I played in university, freshman had to earn their keep and were seen as second class citizens, regardless of skill level.

How would promising 44 to an incoming recruit sit with the players currently on the roster? How would Strickland, Fredericks, and Perkins take it? What if one of them blowup their freshman year and feel slighted by having a kid who hasn't done anything yet be given the highest SU honour possible?

I'm not against reinstating 44 or giving it to a recruit of Washington's caliber, I am just asking the question.

One angle I have yet to see be discussed in regards to reinstating 44 is the effect it might have on the locker room.

It's one thing to give 44 to a junior or senior RB who has already established himself at the college level and earned the respect of his teammates. It's entirely another thing to promise 44 to a recruit who has yet to get to campus, regardless of how highly touted he is.

When I played in university, freshman had to earn their keep and were seen as second class citizens, regardless of skill level.

How would promising 44 to an incoming recruit sit with the players currently on the roster? How would Strickland, Fredericks, and Perkins take it? What if one of them blowup their freshman year and feel slighted by having a kid who hasn't done anything yet be given the highest SU honour possible?

I'm not against reinstating 44 or giving it to a recruit of Washington's caliber, I am just asking the question.
If I'm not mistaken, 44 has always been given to an incoming recruit. So what's the big change here?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whodatnatn

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom