Class of 2016 - RB Robert Washington (NC) to UNC Charlotte | Page 20 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2016 RB Robert Washington (NC) to UNC Charlotte

Status
Not open for further replies.
If I'm not mistaken, 44 has always been given to an incoming recruit. So what's the big change here?
That's a good point. However, I would think there is a difference between carrying on an active tradition, and being the kid 44 is reinstated for.

Again, not saying I am against it, just wondering if it would cause any conflict in the locker room. We are entering uncharted waters with the possibility of bringing it back.

That's a good point. However, I would think there is a difference between carrying on an active tradition, and being the kid 44 is reinstated for.

Again, not saying I am against it, just wondering if it would cause any conflict in the locker room. We are entering uncharted waters with the possibility of bringing it back.

Well, it's got to be reinstated at some point to use it to as a recruiting too (as was the original tradition). Hopefully it gets reinstated before he commits (if he does) so it becomes a moot point.

Well, it's got to be reinstated at some point to use it to as a recruiting too (as was the original tradition). Hopefully it gets reinstated before he commits (if he does) so it becomes a moot point.
So you get a guy based on him being offered #44. Then you can't offer it again for 4 more years. Not sure that's such a great recruiting tool.

xc84 said:
So you get a guy based on him being offered #44. Then you can't offer it again for 4 more years. Not sure that's such a great recruiting tool.

Unless the guy blows up. Then he's there 3 years, you begin recruiting the next kid after a year (a HS soph).

These are all good problems to have. Rather that then mothballs.

Sarcasm, right?

I'm not sure you realize how much of a domino effect Robert Washington could have. From his own mouth, he's got big time players who want to play with him in college, and according to him, they're waiting to see where he winds up.
His little brother alone following him is enough reason to bring him in at all costs

If you can get Robert Washington, get him. Besides, whomever comes in behind him can change to 44 when Washington leaves.

How many players on a roster will you have wearing #44?
How many do you need? If you have one program changing offensive guy playing every year, for four years, then I'll take that over not having that player. Success begets success, both individually at the position and for the program.

If I'm not mistaken, 44 has always been given to an incoming recruit. So what's the big change here?
I believe in the beginnings it was assigned to whoever the starting HB was. I think it turned into a recruiting tool later.

If you can get Robert Washington, get him. Besides, whomever comes in behind him can change to 44 when Washington leaves.
Could be...but the guy behind him is already on the team when that happens and it also means the number wasn't used as a recruiting incentive for that next guy. I know I am in the minority on this and sometimes on these boards minority = idiot. So be it. I just don't think the number matters much when it comes to recruiting.

Could be...but the guy behind him is already on the team when that happens and it also means the number wasn't used as a recruiting incentive for that next guy. I know I am in the minority on this and sometimes on these boards minority = idiot. So be it. I just don't think the number matters much when it comes to recruiting.
We've had one of the best RB's in the country say that the number is important. So how can you possibly say it doesn't matter much when it comes to recruiting? 44 could literally be what makes or breaks our recruitment with Washington. It could not possibly matter more right now with this recruitment.

xc84 said:

The point is that it's not getting us any recruits currently. 1 stud RB every 3-4 years is better than none.

I will be honest, I don't know that we used 44 as an incentive before Mandel Robinson. He's the first I recall where it was dangled in front of him. Richard Panczysyn (1967-1969) was before my time. Here are those who wore 44 since Richard Panczyszyn

Mandel Robinson RB 1977

Glenn Moore RB 1981-82

Michael Owens RB 1987-89

Terry Richardson RB 1990-93

Rob Konrad FB 1995-98

Last edited:
I'm not sure you realize how much of a domino effect Robert Washington could have. From his own mouth, he's got big time players who want to play with him in college, and according to him, they're waiting to see where he winds up.

Just in case you haven't seen it yet, check your inbox (at least I'm pretty sure I sent it to you lol)

The big change is you're dealing with the entitled kids in this generation, not the 1990's.

The big change is you're dealing with the entitled kids in this generation, not the 1990's.
You're not really trying to suggest kids in the 1990's weren't entitled, are you? I grew up in the 1990's. Kids then were every bit as entitled, they just didn't have such public platforms from which they let people know.

Also, that still doesn't change the fact that the custom was always to give it to an incoming recruit. You'd just be doing the same thing if you re-started the tradition. That's why there's no change to how it used to play out. Kids just have the ability to more publicly lobby for it on social media now.

We've had one of the best RB's in the country say that the number is important. So how can you possibly say it doesn't matter much when it comes to recruiting? 44 could literally be what makes or breaks our recruitment with Washington. It could not possibly matter more right now with this recruitment.
If that is the defining reason a kid would pick Syracuse, then that raises a red flag.
Also, the kid (may, if reports are true) is asking for special treatment, before stepping on the field. He is also asking the sthletic department to undo a set policy, to go against its own rules.
RED FLAGS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors