Class of 2016 - RB Robert Washington (NC) to UNC Charlotte | Page 26 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2016 RB Robert Washington (NC) to UNC Charlotte

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's not that simple. Demographics have shifted and people are leaving the northeast and migrating south and west. Football is way more popular with way more attention and way more money involved and pushed up timeline on recruiting. It is harder to survive and thrive on under the radar talent. Technology and interest has permanently changed the recruiting game.

Syracuse will always be a private school and will always be in a cold weather city in an area where football is decidedly not king.

The 80's and 90's are gone, and things aren't going to just get better because these things are cyclical. There are very real demographic trends working against Syracuse, through no fault of Syracuse. That doesn't change the fact that they are real.

Syracuse's hope in staying consistently relevant relies on coaching innovation, having a specific vision that leverages the advantages of teh dome, and recruiting/developing players unique to that specific innovative vision.

I think the cold weather thing is way overblown. OSU is doing just fine, thank you. As long as every team is limited in scholarships, the demographic effects are more and more mitigated by national recruiting. Yes, some schools have more walkons, but that is mostly a public-private schools issue.

SU sat on its laurels and got caught flat footed. We allowed the facilities to deteriorate and we took Rutgers and UCONN far too lightly on the recruiting trail. Getting screwed out of the ACC was another major blow.

The biggest factor in the future IMO will be the P5 money. We are already seeing the effect of money on coaching staffs with head coaches going to P5 schools as coordinators for far more money. The talent will also want to play in the P5 and nowhere else. When the P5 decides to only play each other they will create a major and minor league and TV contracts will reflect that reality. A la carte pricing will exaggerate this dichotomy.

The CFB world is in the midst of big time change and the old rules do not apply. The balance of power will slowly shift to the areas with the greatest population/viewers. This puts the ACC is a great position and how much we prosper is up to us. With the IPC and Dome renovation, we appear to be doing as much as can reasonably be expected in today's environment. I am very long-term positive.

I forget who said this already, but Shafer just offer this kid 44. There is no way Gross is going to tell him no if Washington commits. Gross couldn't tell Luke Jensen No, so Shafer just needs to say F It and go ahead. His ass is on the line and Gross isn't going to throw him any lifelines if push comes to shove.

No offense to Floyd, but if he has an issue with it, he can take his six-figure salary and leave with Gross. SU has done right by him the last few years, so I wouldn't let either of these two get in the way of helping the football program.

From 1970-86, Syracuse football was not even close to a national power. 0 seasons of > 7 wins, 2 bowls.

We are on the same level nationally as we were during those times, I would argue. And our program improved to a national level thanks to a charismatic coach who did a great job recruiting kids and selling Syracuse University.

Landscape always changes with the times. That's the nature of anything. What matters is we are in a big-time conference competing against the best teams in the country.

As long as that is true, and our facilities and all of that stuff aren't ridiculously deficient (which now it's not) we will be able to sell kids a quality education and an opportunity to fulfill their dreams. And we will be able to fight for, and sign, recruits just as good as Washington in the future.

TigerNet.com ‏@ClemsonTigerNet 2h2 hours ago
New football facility shows #Clemson is serious about winning the arms race (@clemsondrad): http://bit.ly/1zi2F62

I forget who said this already, but Shafer just offer this kid 44. There is no way Gross is going to tell him no if Washington commits. Gross couldn't tell Luke Jensen No, so Shafer just needs to say F It and go ahead. His ass is on the line and Gross isn't going to throw him any lifelines if push comes to shove.

No offense to Floyd, but if he has an issue with it, he can take his six-figure salary and leave with Gross. SU has done right by him the last few years, so I wouldn't let either of these two get in the way of helping the football program.
Little wants it back

Floyd has been in favor of it. He is a class guy.

I agree with all of what you said. He's an important recruit, could be game changing, etc.

I'm not the one throwing the verbage around about "once in a generation" or "once in a lifetime". That's my whole point.

As I said a few posts back, I'm not diminishing the kid - I think he could be a great player for us and could make an impact at the RB position that we haven't had probably since James Mungro - maybe earlier. But I just don't like the definitiveness of certain posters calling this kid the best ever when we have a great history and could have a potentially great future.
Just let it drop, you're wasting space on a message board, about something meaningless. And yes I've been around long enough to see Jim, and many more great players.

Where did I ever say we had the best facilities? Our facilities are adequate and not ridiculously deficient as they were 15 years ago when this tailspin started.
A refurbished dome will also be a game changer for us.

Just let it drop, you're wasting space on a message board, about something meaningless. And yes I've been around long enough to see Jim, and many more great players.

With all due respect, that's what message boards are for. Stating opinions, disagreeing, agreeing, etc. If you don't want to read my posts, don't read them. If you don't agree with me, don't agree. But don't tell me I'm wasting space. There are many, many other posts by other posters that are far more meaningless than mine.

Interesting, Ohio St just hired Notre Dame's rb coach for the same position. He played for Colorado St when Meyer was there.

Here's my thoughts on #44. First if all it needs to be on the field. It's ridiculous to have it retired. What school on the planet mothballs one of its most important traditions?

It was a stupid idea and no amount if discussion will ever change my mind.

The problem is that the school needs to make sure someone is wearing it every season!!!!

We waited too long to hand it out in the 80s & 90s. Accept the fact that maybe some years no one will want to wear it, and accept that sometimes, the wearer may not live up to the hype.

But keep it alive. Dangle that carrot every chance you can. But revitalize the tradition. It won't take long.

Give it to someone to start, let them wear it for four years, then after they leave reward the most deserving Sr on the team who can legally wear it on the field.

Make it part of a ceremonial passing of the number 44 every spring game where the current player hands it to next year"a wearer.

This isn't rocket science. It just kills me that it's been so mismanaged for so long.

Where did I ever say we had the best facilities? Our facilities are adequate and not ridiculously deficient as they were 15 years ago when this tailspin started.

What I am saying is as great as the IPF is for us almost everyone else in our conference either already has an IPF or is in the process of building one or expanding their facilities in other ways. Syracuse needs other things that they can use for selling points to recruits. Bringing back 44 is one. Renovating the Dome is another.

Jake said:
Here's my thoughts on #44. First if all it needs to be on the field. It's ridiculous to have it retired. What school on the planet mothballs one of its most important traditions? It was a stupid idea and no amount if discussion will ever change my mind. The problem is that the school needs to make sure someone is wearing it every season!!!! We waited too long to hand it out in the 80s & 90s. Accept the fact that maybe some years no one will want to wear it, and accept that sometimes, the wearer may not live up to the hype. But keep it alive. Dangle that carrot every chance you can. But revitalize the tradition. It won't take long. Give it to someone to start, let them wear it for four years, then after they leave reward the most deserving Sr on the team who can legally wear it on the field. Make it part of a ceremonial passing of the number 44 every spring game where the current player hands it to next year"a wearer. This isn't rocket science. It just kills me that it's been so mismanaged for so long.

I'm completely on board with getting it out of mothballs and onto the field. Was stupid to ever retire it. But, I want it used for what it was originally for, an incoming freshman RB. Some years it may not be worn and I'm ok with that. I want to see it used as a recruiting tool.

Last edited:
rrlbees said:
I'm completely on board with getting it out of mothballs and onto the field. Was stupid to ever retire it. But, I want it used for what it was originally for, an incoming freshman RB. Some years it may not be worn and I'm ok with that. I want to see it used as a recruiting tool.

I agree with with the point that it should be used for an incoming RB recruit. It would seem like a no brainer, but I have a feeling it won't be that easy.

Why not form a #44 committee with Jim Brown and Floyd Little and let this group determine who is deserving to wear the number. We should utilize these great Syracuse Running backs in the recruiting of the next guy. Year in ..and year out, Syracuse should have a really good running back. Let's bring the legend of 44 down from the rafters and on to the field. Let's offer it to this Washington kid from North carolina….Go Cuse….

TigerNet.com ‏@ClemsonTigerNet 2h2 hours ago
New football facility shows #Clemson is serious about winning the arms race (@clemsondrad): http://bit.ly/1zi2F62

A lot of folks seem to think that Clemson is a peer school...well, not for long considering these plans.

Sounds a lot different than at SU where our BOT is talking publicly and worrying about being revenue neutral or who is paying for what instead of both academia and the athletic department working hand in hand to both be great.

Would be great...but my guess is that they replace the roof as it is.
I believe once the new arena was shot down by Minor, SU started to look at possible changes and upgrades with a big reno on the north end. I am not sure where it is or if it is anything but discussion.

I believe once the new arena was shot down by Minor, SU started to look at possible changes and upgrades with a big reno on the north end. I am not sure where it is or if it is anything but discussion.

There is no way the "academic leadership" at SU allows this to happen...especially considering that they didn't want to shoulder any of the 7.5 mil penalty to leave the big east.

You think they will be OK with spending $100-150 mil to renovate a Dome that they wish didn't exist in the first place. Sure they will.

They would cut off their nose to spite their face.

SUFan44, I think you're missing the whole point of this. This is a POTENTIALLY game changing recruit. Forget the verbage you want to throw along with that. We need to get this kid. He may not pan out the way we all hope and dream, but still pulling him in, if it brings even 1 other 4* player, is worth it. This team is lacking sizzle, and he brings the sizzle to the griddle.
i love the sizzle

There is no way the "academic leadership" at SU allows this to happen...especially considering that they didn't want to shoulder any of the 7.5 mil penalty to leave the big east.

You think they will be OK with spending $100-150 mil to renovate a Dome that they wish didn't exist in the first place. Sure they will.

They would cut off their nose to spite their face.

I wouldn't be so sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors