Class of 2016 - RB Robert Washington (NC) to UNC Charlotte | Page 24 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2016 RB Robert Washington (NC) to UNC Charlotte

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not true at all.

Actually It's quite plausible that landing a recruit of Washington's football and personal accumen the March prior to his signing day would change the recruiting landscape for Syracuse moving forward. Its not just that he would be committing but when. He picks early, some other big talents follow early, and it could snowball quickly. We finally have the facilities and conference affiliation to compete for well known kids if we can garner serious interest from them. Kids would wonder what's going on at Syracuse, research it, and want to be a part of it.

So who in your lifetime has SU grabbed that has the offer list he has and the prospect of bringing with him other 4 star players? I'll wait ...

First of all, there's no guarantee of anyone coming with him. Each individual prospective student-athlete is just that. An individual.

Second, Johnnie Morant had offers from everyone in the country. He was the #24 rated recruit overall, #3 WR. That was only 14 years ago.

Is he a once in a long time type of recruit? Maybe, but who's to say with the IPF there won't be more? We're in the ACC for crying out loud, one of the premier conferences in America. A lifetime to me is 50+ years. That's a ridiculous assumption.

Actually It's quite plausible that landing a recruit of Washington's football and personal accumen the March prior to his signing day would change the recruiting landscape for Syracuse moving forward. Its not just that he would be committing but when. He picks early, some other big talents follow early, and it could snowball quickly. We finally have the facilities and conference affiliation to compete for well known kids if we can garner serious interest from them. Kids would wonder what's going on at Syracuse, research it, and want to be a part of it.

There's an awful lot of assumption in this post.

First of all, there's no guarantee of anyone coming with him. Each individual prospective student-athlete is just that. An individual.

Second, Johnnie Morant had offers from everyone in the country. He was the #24 rated recruit overall, #3 WR. That was only 14 years ago.

Is he a once in a long time type of recruit? Maybe, but who's to say with the IPF there won't be more? We're in the ACC for crying out loud, one of the premier conferences in America. A lifetime to me is 50+ years. That's a ridiculous assumption.

Are you really going on a rant because of a figure of speech was used?

Okay maybe not "one in a lifetime" but "one of the recruits of a lifetime" - that better? Can we just agree that he is really, really good and that it would be great if he verbals to us?!!?

I can tell you for a fact that in my 30+ years of following SU football there has not been a more highly touted recruit than RW. During the exhibition game that fact we were even mentioned as a finalist was awesome. If we were lucky enough to land him it would change the entire perception of the program, and we would probably be looking at a top 25 class given the guys who want to play with him. So yes he would be a once in a life time recruit.

There really arent any assumptions. Just musings about a recruit we may or may not land and the impact it could have. None of it is written as a definite nor is any of it that far of a jump if he does land here. If he comes to Cuse he won't be the only one.

Would Jim Brown be SU's OG?

20140129193059-Original_Gangstas.jpg

I think someone posted this earlier in the thread, but with the current discussion these last few pages, and bam's urging of others to write to Dr. Gross, could someone please post his email again?

http://cuse.com/staff.aspx

Gross' e-mail is at the very top. I personally CC'd Kim O'Connor (Administrative Assistant for Head Coach and Football Operations) in mine as well just to make sure it got to somebody, but Dr. Gross apparently read it and replied to me within like 30 minutes when I sent mine.

The only mention of Washington that I made at all was that I mentioned "I know there's at least one potential Orange recruit that would love to carry on the tradition, but that would be up to the coach's discretion as to who actually gets that honor", or something along those lines, but the overall point of my e-mail was that I think bringing back #44 would be kinda symbolic of where the program once was and where we hope to get back to.

Are you really going on a rant because of a figure of speech was used?

Okay maybe not "one in a lifetime" but "one of the recruits of a lifetime" - that better? Can we just agree that he is really, really good and that it would be great if he verbals to us?!!?

Not the first time he has used it. Hence my original post.

http://cuse.com/staff.aspx

Gross' e-mail is at the very top. I personally CC'd Kim O'Connor (Administrative Assistant for Head Coach and Football Operations) in mine as well just to make sure it got to somebody, but Dr. Gross apparently read it and replied to me within like 30 minutes when I sent mine.

The only mention of Washington that I made at all was that I mentioned "I know there's at least one potential Orange recruit that would love to carry on the tradition, but that would be up to the coach's discretion as to who actually gets that honor", or something along those lines, but the overall point of my e-mail was that I think bringing back #44 would be kinda symbolic of where the program once was and where we hope to get back to.

In his response did he seem perceptive or was it, thank you for the email.

In his response did he seem perceptive or was it, thank you for the email.

The gist that I got is that he's personally more interested in bringing it back for special occasion kinda things, like how MLB has Jackie Robinson day, but he at least seems open to the idea of bringing it back in some capacity, so maybe with the proper pushes from guys like Floyd and fans, he might approve of bringing it back full-time to keep the legacy alive like jekelish (I think) mentioned.

I posted the response back on page 14, but here it is again just so you don't have to flip back to it:

Thanks Matt—I have been working with Floyd Little who works on my staff in regards to 44—as you know we currently treat 44 the way MLB does 42 for Jackie Robinson. There may be some rare occasions when we bring 44 out and Floyd is working on those dynamics. Love your note as it makes a lot of sense.

Regards

Daryl

Washington is a potentially great recruit - I am not diminishing that at all. But the hyperbole in calling him a "once in a lifetime" type of recruit is a bit much.

Syracuse University has had a Heisman Trophy winner in certain people's lifetime, it has has the best running back in the history of football, one of the top 10 WR's in the history of the NFL and a host of others.

I'm glad that Washington is considering us and I'm happy that it has began discussions about bringing 44 back - which is something that absolutely should happen. I'm also happy it has sparked some interest in fans about recruiting. But some people need to be given a history lesson on Syracuse University football recruiting.

As long as it doesn't also catch fire, I'm fine with it. :rolleyes:

I'm feeling a little left out... Im like the only one who didn't get a reply.

No him committing isn't written in stone and no his bringing a bunch of kids isn't guaranteed. But where is the down side? This kid coming and having some of the really good players that want to play with him would be huge for years to come.

I think if we can keep the emails flowing and show the AD the fans want this and it won't be seen as a bad choice after retiring it, the response may change from special occasion to what we really want. The fact that little is heading this is huge. He has said he wants it back for his grandson to wear in a few years. When I talked to the coaches they said Brown is ok with it so it seems it may be just the AD thinking it will look bad at this point.

Keep writing!

Washington is a potentially great recruit - I am not diminishing that at all. But the hyperbole in calling him a "once in a lifetime" type of recruit is a bit much.

Syracuse University has had a Heisman Trophy winner in certain people's lifetime, it has has the best running back in the history of football, one of the top 10 WR's in the history of the NFL and a host of others.

I'm glad that Washington is considering us and I'm happy that it has began discussions about bringing 44 back - which is something that absolutely should happen. I'm also happy it has sparked some interest in fans about recruiting. But some people need to be given a history lesson on Syracuse University football recruiting.
IN. TODAY'S. COLLEGE. LANDSCAPE.

Donovan McNabb and Dwight Freeney were 15 years ago.

I'm feeling a little left out... Im like the only one who didn't get a reply.

No him committing isn't written in stone and no his bringing a bunch of kids isn't guaranteed. But where is the down side? This kid coming and having some of the really good players that want to play with him would be huge for years to come.

I think if we can keep the emails flowing and show the AD the fans want this and it won't be seen as a bad choice after retiring it, the response may change from special occasion to what we really want. The fact that little is heading this is huge. He has said he wants it back for his grandson to wear in a few years. When I talked to the coaches they said Brown is ok with it so it seems it may be just the AD thinking it will look bad at this point.

Keep writing!

I didn't receive a reply either, but I wasn't expecting one. Especially if a decent amount of people are emailing him on the topic.

IN. TODAY'S. COLLEGE. LANDSCAPE.

Donovan McNabb and Dwight Freeney were 15 years ago.

And they're in my lifetime. Heck, some people have been alive for Jim Brown, Donovan McNabb and Dwight Freeney. Not to mention numerous other recruits that you have probably never heard of (Damien Mallory, Scott Freeney, etc.) that were just as big but were duds.

Yes, the landscape has changed. But Syracuse football is not Appalachian State. Not even close. And how can you predict tomorrow let alone 30 years from now? You'll still be alive, god willing, right?

And they're in my lifetime. Heck, some people have been alive for Jim Brown, Donovan McNabb and Dwight Freeney. Not to mention numerous other recruits that you have probably never heard of (Damien Mallory, Scott Freeney, etc.) that were just as big but were duds.

Yes, the landscape has changed. But Syracuse football is not Appalachian State. Not even close. And how can you predict tomorrow let alone 30 years from now? You'll still be alive, god willing, right?
Are we really getting bogged down in semantics?

Once in a generation.

Better?

Good.

Are we really getting bogged down in semantics?

Once in a generation.

Better?

Good.

Not really. He's really good but why put a tag on it? It's pointless and is just the type of sensationalism that is bringing journalism to all time lows.

SUFan44, I think you're missing the whole point of this. This is a POTENTIALLY game changing recruit. Forget the verbage you want to throw along with that. We need to get this kid. He may not pan out the way we all hope and dream, but still pulling him in, if it brings even 1 other 4* player, is worth it. This team is lacking sizzle, and he brings the sizzle to the griddle.

SUFan44 said:
Washington is a potentially great recruit - I am not diminishing that at all. But the hyperbole in calling him a "once in a lifetime" type of recruit is a bit much. Syracuse University has had a Heisman Trophy winner in certain people's lifetime, it has has the best running back in the history of football, one of the top 10 WR's in the history of the NFL and a host of others. I'm glad that Washington is considering us and I'm happy that it has began discussions about bringing 44 back - which is something that absolutely should happen. I'm also happy it has sparked some interest in fans about recruiting. But some people need to be given a history lesson on Syracuse University football recruiting.

Let it go, let it go...

Hyperbole is okay on a message board

SUFan44, I think you're missing the whole point of this. This is a POTENTIALLY game changing recruit. Forget the verbage you want to throw along with that. We need to get this kid. He may not pan out the way we all hope and dream, but still pulling him in, if it brings even 1 other 4* player, is worth it. This team is lacking sizzle, and he brings the sizzle to the griddle.

I agree with all of what you said. He's an important recruit, could be game changing, etc.

I'm not the one throwing the verbage around about "once in a generation" or "once in a lifetime". That's my whole point.

As I said a few posts back, I'm not diminishing the kid - I think he could be a great player for us and could make an impact at the RB position that we haven't had probably since James Mungro - maybe earlier. But I just don't like the definitiveness of certain posters calling this kid the best ever when we have a great history and could have a potentially great future.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom