Class of 2016 - RB Robert Washington (NC) to UNC Charlotte | Page 25 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2016 RB Robert Washington (NC) to UNC Charlotte

Status
Not open for further replies.
Who said he was the best ever? You are wildly misinterpreting the points people are making. His IMPACT is the once in a generation opportunity. I think what he could bring off the field by committing is as important as anything he might do on the field.

That's why he's a once in a generation opportunity for this current staff to land. We haven't had a chance at a guy who could cause a domino effect in recruiting in...well, I'm not sure ever.

Who said he was the best ever? You are wildly misinterpreting the points people are making. His IMPACT is the once in a generation opportunity. I think what he could bring off the field by committing is as important as anything he might do on the field.

That's why he's a once in a generation opportunity for this current staff to land. We haven't had a chance at a guy who could cause a domino effect in recruiting in...well, I'm not sure ever.

Let's let the chips fall where they may.

I think we can all agree that he's an important recruit for 2016. And he would look great in Orange.

Whether or not he's a once in a generation type of guy is very much up for debate.

I'm feeling a little left out... Im like the only one who didn't get a reply.

No him committing isn't written in stone and no his bringing a bunch of kids isn't guaranteed. But where is the down side? This kid coming and having some of the really good players that want to play with him would be huge for years to come.

I think if we can keep the emails flowing and show the AD the fans want this and it won't be seen as a bad choice after retiring it, the response may change from special occasion to what we really want. The fact that little is heading this is huge. He has said he wants it back for his grandson to wear in a few years. When I talked to the coaches they said Brown is ok with it so it seems it may be just the AD thinking it will look bad at this point.

Keep writing!
My effort:

Dr. Gross,

I grew up in Syracuse and have been a lifelong fan of the University's sports teams. My parents still live in Syracuse and have had season tickets in basketball since the Dome opened. I am more of a football fan, and am writing to add my voice to a burgeoning effort to "un-retire" the jersey #44 in football.

As a private school, we face a competitive disadvantage compared to larger, state-government-sponsored schools. We are, in essence, a small-market team. Any angle we can pursue that gives us an advantage must be used to its fullest. #44 is one such advantage, and I believe its relevance has been boosted by the recent film, "The Express." Several of our recent recruits have spoken about how the film affected them - a new generation has been introduced to Ernie's legacy, and that of his famed jersey number.

Not every RB wants the honor - and the burden - of wearing that jersey. But those who do, and are afforded the opportunity, are likely to be special talents. Pursuing those players is crucial to our goals and our return to high-end success.

"The Express" gave new life to the story of Ernie Davis and #44. We should let the number help give new life to the program in which it resides.

Regards,
Jeffrey D. Wilson, Ph.D.

OSU's RB coach left for the Bears (Stan Drayton). Wonder if that plays a role in this...

No him committing isn't written in stone and no his bringing a bunch of kids isn't guaranteed. But where is the down side? This kid coming and having some of the really good players that want to play with him would be huge for years to come.

I think if we can keep the emails flowing and show the AD the fans want this and it won't be seen as a bad choice after retiring it, the response may change from special occasion to what we really want. The fact that little is heading this is huge. He has said he wants it back for his grandson to wear in a few years. When I talked to the coaches they said Brown is ok with it so it seems it may be just the AD thinking it will look bad at this point.

Keep writing!

It's the AD thinking HE will look bad.

Does Washington have a set commitment date? I thought I remembered seeing March, but not an exact date.

Does Washington have a set commitment date? I thought I remembered seeing March, but not an exact date.
I don't remember a date, just March. Not that I'm that in the know compared to some of you guys

Apologize if this has already been mentioned, but do we know if his academics are in order?

Apologize if this has already been mentioned, but do we know if his academics are in order?

I feel like I remember it being mentioned he made honor roll or something earlier this year. Which of course in and of itself means nothing, but given his offer list, I imagine his grades are just fine.

Not everyone here is 25 years old. Football actually existed before 1998.
But Syracuse was a national power then. We're now a national afterthought. That's my point. I'm looking at the landscape as it's currently constituted.

From 1970-86, Syracuse football was not even close to a national power. 0 seasons of > 7 wins, 2 bowls.

We are on the same level nationally as we were during those times, I would argue. And our program improved to a national level thanks to a charismatic coach who did a great job recruiting kids and selling Syracuse University.

Landscape always changes with the times. That's the nature of anything. What matters is we are in a big-time conference competing against the best teams in the country.

As long as that is true, and our facilities and all of that stuff aren't ridiculously deficient (which now it's not) we will be able to sell kids a quality education and an opportunity to fulfill their dreams. And we will be able to fight for, and sign, recruits just as good as Washington in the future.

Apologize if this has already been mentioned, but do we know if his academics are in order.

He's on the National BETA for academics and character in his school. One of the reasons he was offered by Stanford in 10th grade.

Keep writing!

Yo Bam. Just wanted to say that if I didn't follow your son's recruiting and didn't know you were a parent of a recruit I would have assumed/guessed that you were a hardcore, lifetime, bleeding Orange Syracuse fan. Good to have ya on board.

From 1970-86, Syracuse football was not even close to a national power. 0 seasons of > 7 wins, 2 bowls.

We are on the same level nationally as we were during those times, I would argue. And our program improved to a national level thanks to a charismatic coach who did a great job recruiting kids and selling Syracuse University.

Landscape always changes with the times. That's the nature of anything. What matters is we are in a big-time conference competing against the best teams in the country.

As long as that is true, and our facilities and all of that stuff aren't ridiculously deficient (which now it's not) we will be able to sell kids a quality education and an opportunity to fulfill their dreams. And we will be able to fight for, and sign, recruits just as good as Washington in the future.
It's not that simple. Demographics have shifted and people are leaving the northeast and migrating south and west. Football is way more popular with way more attention and way more money involved and pushed up timeline on recruiting. It is harder to survive and thrive on under the radar talent. Technology and interest has permanently changed the recruiting game.

Syracuse will always be a private school and will always be in a cold weather city in an area where football is decidedly not king.

The 80's and 90's are gone, and things aren't going to just get better because these things are cyclical. There are very real demographic trends working against Syracuse, through no fault of Syracuse. That doesn't change the fact that they are real.

Syracuse's hope in staying consistently relevant relies on coaching innovation, having a specific vision that leverages the advantages of teh dome, and recruiting/developing players unique to that specific innovative vision.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom