RB situation | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

RB situation

His YPC basically say it all, IMO. He’s been under 4 every season as an RB. He’s not all that good at running the ball.

There’s value in a veteran player who never fumbles, blocks well, knows what he’s doing, can catch, has become pretty good at finding the end zone on goal line carries, runs tough and hard and seems to be in good condition as some of his most memorable runs have involved breaking tackles in the 4th quarter.

But he’s getting less carries than Neal for a reason. And it wouldn’t shock me if he lost more carries to Howard. I don’t think Strick breaks a 50 yarder like Howard did on that carry. Howard made that happen by making that first defender miss. Seems like a much more dynamic runner.

Having 3 backs that can help us is a good thing. I think Dino is using them pretty well so far.

the more carries for moe don't say a lot. they rotate by series. but im sure when strick is in we probably pass more because he's a good receiver himself and hes an excellent pass blocker. it also happened to be moes turn when we were using clock vs wmu and he ran some crazy number of carries in a row. I like all 3 as their skills complement each other.

he has been a starter (or co-starter) for 3 years and as a true freshman played in every game. he must be doing something right.
Holy crap. Did I say he does nothing right? I feel like I've been pretty objective with acknowledging his positives while critiquing his negatives. I'll repeat it for you HE HAS BEEN THE BEST AT MAKING LINE CALLS, HE HAS BEEN THE BEST IN PASS PROTECTION, I'll add a couple more, HE CATCHES THE BALL WELL OUT OF THE BACKFIELD and HE DOES NOT FUMBLE. He does a number of things well. Those are the reasons he has been a starter. He just isn't a great runner. That is the reason Dino rotates other guys and probably why he didn't start our last game.

the more carries for moe don't say a lot. they rotate by series. but im sure when strick is in we probably pass more because he's a good receiver himself and hes an excellent pass blocker. it also happened to be moes turn when we were using clock vs wmu and he ran some crazy number of carries in a row. I like all 3 as their skills complement each other.
If you haven't read today's article about Howard, you should. It gives some insight into how Dino would like to use his RBs and how we haven't been able to do that yet.

It might be by series but Moe's just shy of doubling up Stricklands carries. I doubt that's by chance.

It might be by series but Moe's just shy of doubling up Stricklands carries. I doubt that's by chance.

most of that is the wmu game where it was moes turn the last 2 series and we successfully was using clock and he ran almost every play. 18 carries I think just those 2 series. plus we pass more with strick in the game.

most of that is the wmu game where it was moes turn the last 2 series and we successfully was using clock and he ran almost every play. 18 carries I think just those 2 series. plus we pass more with strick in the game.

That might be how it played out with the last two series but Mo also gets more carries because he moves the chains more during his series'.

I'd have to see the hard numbers to know if we pass more with Strickland in the game. Babers has said the play book doesn't change for the personnel and I have a very hard time believing Babers would be predictable enough and tip his hand to a DC that we're more likely to pass with Strickland in the game.

That might be how it played out with the last two series but Mo also gets more carries because he moves the chains more during his series'.

I'd have to see the hard numbers to know if we pass more with Strickland in the game. Babers has said the play book doesn't change for the personnel and I have a very hard time believing Babers would be predictable enough and tip his hand to a DC that we're more likely to pass with Strickland in the game.

if you're a stat geek, here's a geek stat. during the strick series, we have scored 14 times. during the moe series, we have scored 7 times. I know, useless stat. someone can check my numbers if they want. again, I like all 3 because they bring different things.

Lots of mixed opinions in this thread as expected.

Long story short, we're lucky to have 3 very serviceable backs right now. Furthermore, we have Pierre and Abdul Adams on the bench. Our stable of RBs is stacked for the next few years.

if you're a stat geek, here's a geek stat. during the strick series, we have scored 14 times. during the moe series, we have scored 7 times. I know, useless stat. someone can check my numbers if they want. again, I like all 3 because they bring different things.

How many total series for each and what was the average starting field position? Strickland started two drives inside the 40 against Wagner to start the game, easier to score.

How many total series for each and what was the average starting field position? Strickland started two drives inside the 40 against Wagner to start the game, easier to score.

They’ve both played the same number of series. Equal series in the WMU game, Strick had 1 more in the Wagner game and Moe 1 more in the FSU game. You’ll have to give me more time on the starting field position since there’s math involved.

Strick - SU 49
Moe - SU 41

Strick - SU 49
Moe - SU 41

One thing those numbers say is that we do a great job with field position. Probably helped by turnovers and Hof flipping the field with his punting.

I think big take away is we do not have that back that does it all and I will be happy with the rotation they have going and "riding" the hot hand.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom