RB | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

RB

Finwad32 said:
Fair point about Baber's backs. My point is you shouldn't have to worry about converting in a "pinch". It's not a knock, it's a concern on depth. Whether or not anybody thinks we'll be fine doesn't matter, the point is to be prepared if you're not fine. 4 is a low number, that's my only point, and you shouldn't have to sacrifice other position groups in the event of uncertainty. I don't understand why this turned into a debate on whether or not we'll be fine. We very well could or couldn't. I just raise my eyebrows at the depth there. Nothing more nothing less. BG had 6 with an additional 2 FB's in 20015, 4/1 in 2014. E. Ill. Had 8/1 in 2013.

Yeah, it's a fair concern for sure. It's just not solvable.

Yeah, it's a fair concern for sure. It's just not solvable.
I don't know if it's unsolvable, that depends on how the staff feels about their current personnel and what they can do if there are still takes on the market.

Finwad32 said:
Fair point about Baber's backs. My point is you shouldn't have to worry about converting in a "pinch". It's not a knock, it's a concern on depth. Whether or not anybody thinks we'll be fine doesn't matter, the point is to be prepared if you're not fine. 4 is a low number, that's my only point, and you shouldn't have to sacrifice other position groups in the event of uncertainty. I don't understand why this turned into a debate on whether or not we'll be fine. We very well could or couldn't. I just raise my eyebrows at the depth there. Nothing more nothing less. BG had 6 with an additional 2 FB's in 20015, 4/1 in 2014. E. Ill. Had 8/1 in 2013. *EDIT - I'm not trying to say this is a poor job by the staff. In a shortened cycle they recruited the best players they could at their priority positions. You're going to turn to 1/2 guys to be your bell cow with the other guys getting spot duty, if you lose one, you're close to making changes. Who knows, after the Shaw news they may move Perkins or someone else.

Perkins makes the most sense.

Finwad32 said:
I don't know if it's unsolvable, that depends on how the staff feels about their current personnel and what they can do if there are still takes on the market.

Problem is the grad transfers will want a shot to start (if they are good) and our top 2 are not guys I'd want to displace. Adding quality depth is going to be tricky.

Problem is the grad transfers will want a shot to start (if they are good) and our top 2 are not guys I'd want to displace. Adding quality depth is going to be tricky.
Agreed, maybe if there's a WR out there that you're ok with you take them and convert someone. Not sure. Who knows what the staff's thinking right now.

After signing day we expected to have 6. Then DMC decided to leave and Shaw went JUCO. Stuff happens. Heck, there was even a walk on FB that left. Assuming there isn't any additional attrition at the position, the staff has time to move pieces if they feel it necessary.

How do you feel about Strickland?
IMO Strickland is the best back and potentially could be the most productive player on offense. Im expecting a breakout year. I like Ishmael and Cordy on both sides of the ball but I have a feeling that Strickland and Zaire are gonna step up on offense/defense.

Over the past 4 seasons, we've averaged 5.25 scholarship RB's getting at least 1 carry per season, 5.5 if you factor in Jacob Hill last year.

We only have 4 on the roster.

Yes it is true that almost always, 2 RB's carry the majority of the load for a season. That's my point. You're playing with fire. Especially for a team that will most likely see around 550 carries. The most carries someone has had for Syracuse since the Greg Robinson era in any season, is 240. Which was Bailey.

I'm not worried about production. Nor should I be, that's why Dino was brought here. I am worried about having 4 scholarship RB's over a 13/14 game slate. I've seen multiple rosters working with their 3rd, 4th and 5th RB's by seasons' end.
Jacob Hill can be the 5th. Perkins the 6th

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom