Re all the 'corner turned' talk... | Syracusefan.com

Re all the 'corner turned' talk...

BostonOrange

2nd String
I want to jump on board I really do...but I have two questions. 1. Can any of our young qbs play? And...2. How will recruiting go between now and signing day? Clearly our talent level is up. But to keep it going we need our next qb to be a player and we need to recruit. Otherwise 7-5 is a peak

They are taking 16-17 this class, already have 1/2 that.

I expect 3 or 4 commits in the next two weeks now that the staff has some time to focus on top prospects and high school playoffs are winding down.

In fact, we may see a commit in the next few days

They are taking 16-17 this class, already have 1/2 that.

I expect 3 or 4 commits in the next two weeks now that the staff has some time to focus on top prospects and high school playoffs are winding down.

In fact, we may see a commit in the next few days

Gotta hope they can land some good kids to finish the class. They're only about half done. After the roll we've had through the 2nd half of the season, maybe this has been a blessing in disguise that we didn't get more commits early. I'll have to check that board to see who's left out there who we could really use.

Ok... Thanks I was worried. I will wait for you to evaluate the last 7-8 recruits to determine if the program has turned a corner. 3 year starters at qb aren't always the easiest to replace but it looks like we have some options. Who knows but that will be another corner not the same one

I want to jump on board I really do...but I have two questions. 1. Can any of our young qbs play? And...2. How will recruiting go between now and signing day? Clearly our talent level is up. But to keep it going we need our next qb to be a player and we need to recruit. Otherwise 7-5 is a peak
A corner has been turned. What we saw this year is a team that is much better right now than they were in September. We shouldn't expect quarterback play next year to be as good as this year, but that's normal at any school replacing a senior that was a three year starter. There's always an ebb and flow to a team from year to year so we should expect other areas to lift up the team where quarterback play may drop a little. We have freshman and transfers redshirting, sitting out, or on the way that should help the team next year, and I'm sure DM will have an easier time selling to the kids we're still in on with the way we finished.

Somebody said the number is going to be less that 16/17. If thats the number then it may be because kids decide to leave.

Keep in my mind regarding next years team we redshirted 14 kids this season. Most of whom are expected to contribute with some impact type talent in the group.

If people can't see that this PROGRAM is night and day from where it started 4 years ago, I just don't know what to say. This PROGRAM has turned the corner. Forget about a position here and a position there. SU football is back.

Amongst Loeb, Hunt and the incoming players, there is enough QB raw material on hand. So, I'm not too concerned although the early games next year may see some shaky play as the new QB gets used to real game conditions. But, SU has been stuck on 8 commits for months. I am a bit concerned about that.

If people can't see that this PROGRAM is night and day from where it started 4 years ago, I just don't know what to say. This PROGRAM has turned the corner. Forget about a position here and a position there. SU football is back.

Even the blind can see this. Compare GROB's last three years with DM's last three years. See anything in common besides Nassib's name on the roster?

Amongst Loeb, Hunt and the incoming players, there is enough QB raw material on hand. So, I'm not too concerned although the early games next year may see some shaky play as the new QB gets used to real game conditions. But, SU has been stuck on 8 commits for months. I am a bit concerned about that.

In retrospect, maybe it was a good thing that the majority of the recruits will be committing after a season that lead to bowl eligibility, with on Offense that is setting records, and to a coach that will have an extension.

I can also tell you, based on first hand information, that the staff was quietly very confident about the state of recruiting before the season started. The way the season played out can only help.

Corner turned...

In retrospect, maybe it was a good thing that the majority of the recruits will be committing after a season that lead to bowl eligibility, with on Offense that is setting records, and to a coach that will have an extension.

I can also tell you, based on first hand information, that the staff was quietly very confident about the state of recruiting before the season started. The way the season played out can only help.

Corner turned...
I believe "corner turned" for the program (two bowls in four years; big finish to this season; Hackett proving his worth).
I also believe the seniors on the offensive side had a lot to do with the success of the passing attack and will be difficult to replace. The ACC is a step up, and new QBs can get eaten up (case in point -- Maryland).

And, people are sugar-coating the status of recruiting. We had modest success in the summer; have no "high interest" among OL, WR, DB and DE prospects; and have being putting out offers to several JUCOs in what seems like Plan B. We are scrambling. Maybe it works out, and going bowling should help this year, and for the current juniors. But I had expected us to be in better shape, particularly given the coaching turn-over among rivals, the PSU issues, the pipelines we have rebuilt etc.

Night and day from where it was 11 years ago.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

We're definitely better than during the GRob years. However, I can only say for sure that we've turned the corner from abject stinkitude to mediocrity.

2 bowl games in four years is better than what we did under GRob, but it is a minimal standard of success with so many bowls.

And, yes, our finish this year was great. But, EVERY game counts on the W-L, not just those in the second half of the year.

Don't get me wrong. I support extending DM, I think the program has improved, and I'm not someone who demands NC contention as a standard of excellence.

However, we haven't come close to putting an entire season together under Marrone, and that's something I want to see. We should not be overmatched in any way in the ACC, and I expect to see us flourish there.

So, call me cautiously optimistic.

But not 'all-in'.

First it was Hacket and his playcalling, then it was Marrone's game management, then it was Marrone's undisciplined players creating penalties and turnovers, then inability to score in the redzone, now it's Marrone hasn't put together a full season.

Too many people are short-sighted, only looking at areas that are less than perfect without regard to overall program improvement. I'm glad these people were not the decision makers 6 weeks ago. It was so obvious then that we would be seeing results like this given time and a little correction. Obvious to me anyway.

You never just look at a score on a board to lay judgment. Never. If you don't think this team will begin to put together a "full season" next year after navigating the hiccups of a new QB then I don't know what indication you are looking for to convince you otherwise.

SU went coroner to corner. Now the next step is to see this team move on without the current senior leaders and if next year they win, to me this is officially going from the corner to the salad days.

You want to jump on board? Huh?

I don't understand some people. We've won 5 of 6 and are going to a bowl game. Enjoy it for Pete's sake.

Iv never waivered, but I think Marrones big year will be in 2 years. Next year will be a new QB and I expect hiccups. The year after though the QB will be instilled in the offense and Marrones recruits will start to make big impacts.

Jesus Chr!st. Can't ANYBODY enjoy what this f***ing season has turned into? We have a bowl game coming up folks. Who thought that was possible at 2-4? Sheesh - take just a little time to smell the roses and all that stuff before wringing your hands about next season. Oh Lord

I'm enjoying what the team has done and just posting stuff on the interwebs about the school and sport I love most in sports.

Corner smorner - the program is back period.
  1. We had a successful season against a tough schedule and with Lemon and Pugh out for the first few games and with a very impressive finish.
  2. Solid O Line.
  3. A new 1,000 yard rusher emerged and he is back next year.
  4. We have lots of players with experience coming back, many of them sophs or RSF.
  5. We have what - 14 redshirts?
  6. We have Sugar Bear, Raymon and Funderburk next year.
  7. We have a plethora of RB.
  8. We have many QB candidates all of whom can run.
  9. We can play with anybody in the ACC.
  10. Our staff is maturing and has gained value experience.
Just what else would anybody need to satisfy themselves that the little engine days are long past and this program is on its way. We will be a top 25 program again by 2014.

Remember this offense is read option, Ryan's strong suit was throwing the ball. As Texas A&M and others have shown a dual purpose QB can do just as well. We might not throw quite as much , but we will be just as effective as long as our QB is a decent passer.

Somebody said the number is going to be less that 16/17. If thats the number then it may be because kids decide to leave.

Keep in my mind regarding next years team we redshirted 14 kids this season. Most of whom are expected to contribute with some impact type talent in the group.

The number of redshirts this year says a lot doesn't it?

The number of redshirts this year says a lot doesn't it?

Really a very important stat. Plus the thinking is, some of those RS players might be real players too.

You want to jump on board? Huh?

I don't understand some people. We've won 5 of 6 and are going to a bowl game. Enjoy it for Pete's sake.[/quote

I don't understand some people either. Like people who think that one can't 'enjoy it' and also still voice doubts about whether a 7-5 season with 1 win over a D-1 opponent with a winning record means that we are now destined to be a consistent winner. We are far better than we were 5 years ago no one would dispute that, but have we turned the corner from winning 1-4 games a season to winning 5-7 games a season, or is this a starting point where we are going to make the leap to being a 7-9 win a year (with some variation of course) type program. Going to need a good qb and recruiting for that.

Ps. 70 teams go to bowl games. Glad we are one of them but not sure it means we have arrived as a program. Uconn went to a BCS bowl 2 years ago.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom