Re: new RB coach / candidate#1? | Syracusefan.com

Re: new RB coach / candidate#1?

B

BillSU

Per Stephen Bailey 3/14/17

“It's worth noting that SU co-offensive coordinator Mike Lynch coached exclusively RBs under Dino Babers at Eastern Illinois (2012-13) and Bowling Green (2014) before taking on co-OC and offensive line duties at BGSU in 2014.”

Seems very obvious that this is where Dino is going to get his RB coach for spring practice and beyond. If he doesn’t produce do we get someone outside SU after this fall’s season concludes? There are a lot of RB coaches out there - we just have to get a good one with SU ties and a proven track record.

Lynch’s resume under Babers is admirable. See below. Also, one of the running backs signed as a free agent by the Redskins and coached by Lynch is Travis Greene. In three seasons at Eastern Illinois and BG his numbers read 3,838 yds., 38 td’s, rushing, 567 yds. rec. Seems the man knows what he’s doing. We’ll see if he sticks and if this is a logical internal choice by Babers or just an option/idea from Bailey. At least someone mentioned the issue again.

Mike Lynch
Co-Offensive Coordinator/Offensive Line

A versatile coach who has mentored every offensive position group during his career, Mike Lynch is in his first year as Syracuse's co-offensive coordinator and offensive line coach. Lynch assumed the post in January 2016 after helping run one of the most explosive offenses in college football in 2015 under head coach Dino Babers at Bowling Green.

As the co-offensive coordinator, as well as the offensive line and running backs coach for the Falcons who won the 2015 Mid-American Conference title played in the GoDaddy Bowl against Georgia Southern. Lynch helped direct an offense that ranked in the top 10 nationally in first downs (1st – 389), total offense (4th – 546.8 ypg), passing offense (5th – 366.8 ypg), third-down conversion percentage (5th –.502) and scoring offense (6th – 42.2 ppg).

Lynch’s tutelage helped produce seven 2015 All-MAC selections on offense, including linemen Alex Huettel (second team), Jacob Bennett (second team), and running back Travis Greene (first team). Huettel earned All-America honors from Phil Steele and was selected to participate in the 2016 East-West Shrine Game.

Before adding co-offensive coordinator and offensive line coach to his list of duties, Lynch served as Bowling Green's running backs coach in 2014. That season, he mentored the trio of Greene, Fred Coppet and Andrew Givens who combined for 2,192 yards and 26 touchdowns to help the Falcons capture the MAC East Division crown and win the inaugural Raycom Media Camellia Bowl.

Prior to his stint at Bowling Green, Lynch served as assistant coach from 2005-13 at Eastern Illinois, including the final two as the running backs coach under Babers. In his two seasons leading the Panthers backfield, Lynch coached two 1,000-yard rushers, including All-Ohio Valley Conference honoree Jake Walker.

Most of Lynch's first six years at EIU were spent coaching the wide receivers. While in that role, he mentored 2006 All-American Micah Rucker and led several productive units, including the Panthers 2011 receiving corps which accounted for 20 of the team’s 33 touchdowns, and a 2010 group that combined to catch 193 passes for 2,279 yards and 18 touchdowns.

Lynch first made his mark in coaching at Utah State from 2000-04. While with the Aggies, he helped coach three tight ends who signed with NFL teams. Chris Cooley, a two-time Pro Bowler, was a third-round selection of the Washington Redskins in the 2003 NFL Draft, while J.R. Suguturaga and Casey Poppinga both signed free-agent contracts.

A Roseville, Calif. native, Lynch played two seasons at Sierra Junior College in California before finishing his collegiate career at the University of Montana in 1997 and 1998. With Lynch at center, the 1997 and 1998 Grizzlies combined to win 16 games and reached the Divsion I-AA (now FCS) playoffs both seasons. The following year, Lynch got his first taste of coaching as a restricted earnings coach working with the tight ends on the 1999 Montana staff.

Lynch holds a bachelor’s degree from Montana and a master’s degree in secondary education from Utah State. He married the former Emily Schilling in June 2011. The couple has two children – Madison and Will.

THE LYNCH FILE
Experience: 18th season/1st at Syracuse
Hometown: Roseville, Calif.
Alma Mater: Montana '00
Family: wife, Emily; daughter, Madison; son, Will

PLAYING EXPERIENCE
College: Sierra Junior College (1994-95), Montana (1997-98)

COACHING LEDGER

Tight Ends

Montana

2000-01

Graduate Assistant

Utah State

2002-04

Tight Ends

Utah State

Tight Ends

Eastern Illinois

2006-11

Wide Receivers

Eastern Illinois

2012-13

Running Backs

Eastern Illinois

Running Backs

Bowling Green

Co-Offensive Coordinator/Offensive Line/Running Backs

Bowling Green

2016-present

Co-Offensive Coordinator/Offensive Line

Syracuse

POSTSEASON COACHING EXPERIENCE
1999 NCAA Division I-AA Playoffs (First Round)
2005 NCAA Division I-AA Playoffs (First Round)
2006 FCS Playoffs (First Round)
2007 FCS Playoffs (First Round)
2009 FCS Playoffs (First Round)
2012 FCS Playoffs (First Round)
2013 FCS Playoffs (Quarterfinals)
2014 Camellia Bowl
2015 GoDaddy Bowl

PROMINENT PLAYERS COACHED
Montana
Dallas Neil (Atlanta Falcons, New York Jets)

Utah State
J.R. Suguturaga (Miami Dolphins)
Casey Poppinga (Pittsburgh Steelers)
Chris Cooley (Washington Redskins)

Eastern Illinois
Micah Rucker (Pittsburgh Steelers, Kansas City Chiefs, New York Giants)

Bowling Green
Travis Greene (Washington Redskins)
Alex Huettel (2015 All-American)

No offense to Lynch, but guys like him are a dime a dozen. We should have higher aspirations. The next RB coach needs to have some serious recruiting chops.
Even if Lynch moved to RB coach, the search for a new OLine coach would commence. It's probably easier to hire a RB coach than it is an OLine coach.

Lynch is super legit and we can't knock on him recruiting wise. Fact is, the rb coach as a job is pretty easy, 3-4 players under your wing. Its all about the recruiting. Lynch can handle it from a coaching perspective, but we need another body to hit the recruiting end:)

I think they will give it to Lynch and then bring in another WR coach so they split it to inside and outside like Dino as done is his last stops.

I think they will give it to Lynch and then bring in another WR coach so they split it to inside and outside like Dino as done is his last stops.
Lynch is currently the Co-offensive coordinator and Oline coach not the WR coach. Unless Dino has someone in mind for the Oline, I don't see him switching Lynch to RB coach.

Lynch is currently the Co-offensive coordinator and Oline coach not the WR coach. Unless Dino has someone in mind for the Oline, I don't see him switching Lynch to RB coach.
Where did I say he was WR coach? I'm very familiar with which roles each of our coaches currently have. Lynch was a RB coach before and this system seems to favor 2 WR coaches. You could move Reno over to TE/OL or TE/RB if you leave Lynch as OC/OL.

No offense to Lynch, but guys like him are a dime a dozen. We should have higher aspirations. The next RB coach needs to have some serious recruiting chops.
So basically, you're saying that there's no way at least one of our two coaching hires won't disappoint you.

Where did I say he was WR coach? I'm very familiar with which roles each of our coaches currently have. Lynch was a RB coach before and this system seems to favor 2 WR coaches. You could move Reno over to TE/OL or TE/RB if you leave Lynch as OC/OL.
It's clearly implied in your post...intended or otherwise. I simply offered a clarification based on your post and certainly wasn't questioning your knowledge of the staff roles.

It's clearly implied in your post...intended or otherwise. I simply offered a clarification based on your post and certainly wasn't questioning your knowledge of the staff roles.
I was implying they where going to add another WR coach, not that he was the WR coach.

McCloud coaches the WRs.
Yes I know. My whole point that some how got 100% mixed up was I think they will bring in a second WR coach. One WR coach will coach outside and one WR coach will coach inside. Dino has done this at his other stops.

Yes I know. My whole point that some how got 100% mixed up was I think they will bring in a second WR coach. One WR coach will coach outside and one WR coach will coach inside. Dino has done this at his other stops.

Maybe Coach Marshall for the other WR coach.

While I understand that Syracuse is in a unique position in that we play all of our home games inside while most, if not all, of our away games are outside. I don't think it is necessary to have a coach for both conditions.

While I understand that Syracuse is in a unique position in that we play all of our home games inside while most, if not all, of our away games are outside. I don't think it is necessary to have a coach for both conditions.
Inside = slot WR
Outside = the WR outside of the slot
Has nothing to do with conditions.

Inside = slot WR
Outside = the WR outside of the slot
Has nothing to do with conditions.
Honestly, I didn't even read what I assume is a retort, but I stand firmly that I believe it is a waste of resources. I believe a single person could coach for both inside and outside, hell even a married person could do it. I am just messing around, btw. I know what it meant.

Honestly, I didn't even read what I assume is a retort, but I stand firmly that I believe it is a waste of resources. I believe a single person could coach for both inside and outside, hell even a married person could do it. I am just messing around, btw. I know what it meant.
Lol I figure you where, but this thread as taken some odd turns for me.

I think that I recall a hotshot recruiter who became our OC a few years ago and wasn't successful as a coach here. :confused:

I think where people are getting caught up, myself included, is that if you reassign Lynch to Co-OC/RB coach and bring in an inside WR coach you then do not have a dedicated OL coach. Of course there will be GAs and Quality Control guys who can fill in, but no specific coach for the linemen. So they would either have to move Ferri to OL coach or have none and then have 3 coaches for TE, inside WR and outside WR.

I think where people are getting caught up, myself included, is that if you reassign Lynch to Co-OC/RB coach and bring in an inside WR coach you then do not have a dedicated OL coach. Of course there will be GAs and Quality Control guys who can fill in, but no specific coach for the linemen. So they would either have to move Ferri to OL coach or have none and then have 3 coaches for TE, inside WR and outside WR.
Yep doesn't matter now as my whole plan revolved around not hire a LB, so now we need a RB coach from outside the team.
My original message was not 100% clear for sure.