Re: new RB coach / candidate#1? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Re: new RB coach / candidate#1?

Ol is the most important teaching position. They will have a dedicated ol coach. I believe they will hire a RB coach

Dino says Hart got an "enormous raise" to coach somewhere else. Did Hart deserve an "enormous raise??"

I don't think so. But Indiana paid it. Let's see if they get their money's worth.

Did Indiana get their money's worth? We're all going to find out whether Hart was worth the raise.
In the meantime, Dino stated on 3/21 that he's taking his time with the running back hire - that a lot of people out there are interested in the position but he wants to make the right hire for his program and SU so the position will not be filled until he feels he has the best person possible for his system. How long? We'll see.

It's concerning to find out we can't compete salary-wise with "powerhouses" like Indiana for assistant coaches. Maybe he is getting overpaid but it doesn't sound like Dino wanted to see him go. As the program continues to improve I hope this doesn't become a recurring issue.
B10 state school

Probably got $250k / yr offer

B10 state school

Probably got $250k / yr offer

"Enormous" raise makes me think closer to 500-750K. 250K these days is what the lowest paid guys on P5 staffs get.

"Enormous" raise makes me think closer to 500-750K. 250K these days is what the lowest paid guys on P5 staffs get.
Right, but he was probably making what, $150k - $180k here?

Well, if he doubled his salary, I would consider that "enormous."
$250K > $125K

If Hart was making say $150k here
Indiana comes in with say $300k offer
Just maybe Dino has an idea how much each of his assistants is "worth" and Indiana's offer didn't fit what Dino valued Hart at. Hart didn't deserve a raise after the RB production last year. I'm happy he found a spot that is willing to give him a bigger check and I hope he enjoys his time in Indiana.
No reasons for us to think we could not afford him, IF we wanted to.

Right, but he was probably making what, $150k - $180k here?

I don't know but I did some research. The top schools are paying close to $6 million a year for assistants, if not more now. Many P5 head coaches now want the total amount for assistant salaries to match their own plus a bit extra. The rumor at the time Babers signed was 6 years and a little under 2.5 million. So let's say we have a budget of 2.75 million for the assistants. USA Today publishes a list of assistant salaries for public schools. Clemson gave out nearly 5.5 million last year to football assistant coaches, UVA 3 million, VT 3.5 million, GT a little over 2.5 million. So I think 2.75 million for us is probably not a bad guess. Let's say half is for coordinators. That leaves 1.375 million to split between 6, which averages out to about 230K/year. I think your 180K guess sounds about right. I would say at least double that to get to "enormous." Would they let him go for $70K more? Would he go for $70K more?

Regardless of who HCDB hires, I like the last clause in this line:

"I think if you take your time, you'll find a natural fit, and these coaches are going to be here a long time."

Go ORANGE!
That's one of the phrases that caught my attention. The other was when describing his BS, MS and PhD scenario for the players that he/staff have never been to that level (3rd year) yet and was looking forward to it.

I don't know but I did some research. The top schools are paying close to $6 million a year for assistants, if not more now. Many P5 head coaches now want the total amount for assistant salaries to match their own plus a bit extra. The rumor at the time Babers signed was 6 years and a little under 2.5 million. So let's say we have a budget of 2.75 million for the assistants. USA Today publishes a list of assistant salaries for public schools. Clemson gave out nearly 5.5 million last year to football assistant coaches, UVA 3 million, VT 3.5 million, GT a little over 2.5 million. So I think 2.75 million for us is probably not a bad guess. Let's say half is for coordinators. That leaves 1.375 million to split between 6, which averages out to about 230K/year. I think your 180K guess sounds about right. I would say at least double that to get to "enormous." Would they let him go for $70K more? Would he go for $70K more?

Great breakdown and TY. Hart has flaked on the Cuse twice for the midwest. First to play for UM, and now for the same gig at IU. Bye, dont let the door hit ya in the bum. Never liked him as a recruiter anyways.

Regardless of who HCDB hires, I like the last clause in this line:

"I think if you take your time, you'll find a natural fit, and these coaches are going to be here a long time."

Go ORANGE!
Here's another phrase that we can all remember after the season ends.

If Hart was making say $150k here
Indiana comes in with say $300k offer
Just maybe Dino has an idea how much each of his assistants is "worth" and Indiana's offer didn't fit what Dino valued Hart at. Hart didn't deserve a raise after the RB production last year. I'm happy he found a spot that is willing to give him a bigger check and I hope he enjoys his time in Indiana.
No reasons for us to think we could not afford him, IF we wanted to.
It wasn't all about money

I told u
You were right. Indiana paying big bucks for an RB coach, completely out of line with what they are paying their HC,

I guess they decided they weren't going to lose their next RB coach for more money, no matter what.

Hart goes from the hottest scheme in college football to a dead end one he is already familiar with. If he has aspirations to be an OC or HC someday, this was a horrible move for him.

You can tell how unimportant Hart was by how slowly we are replacing him. Ho-hum.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom