RE: Southerland— what can we assume and what can we rule out? | Syracusefan.com

RE: Southerland— what can we assume and what can we rule out?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pearl31

in cahoots
He was on the bench with the team during the game - does that mean anything necessarily?

The University statement didn't specifically mention academics - does that mean anything?

Eligibility is not exclusively tied to academics...

He was on the bench with the team during the game - does that mean anything necessarily?

The University statement didn't specifically mention academics - does that mean anything?

Here is my question, my understanding has always been that if you are GPA is below the required average after the end of a semester, you can't play for the entire next semester until your GPA is brought back up to meet the requirements. This happens in basketball because it spans over the fall and spring semesters. In the case of Fab Melo, how was it that he was ruled academically ineligible in March? If his grades were not up to par, should he not have been suspended for the entire spring semester? In the case of Southerland, if his GPA does not meet eligibility requirements then how can this suspension be any less than till the end of the spring semester?

I thought, in Fab's case, he was re-eligibilized as his coursework was being re-reviewed, and then the review didn't change the original sanction. It was an appeal thing, wasn't it? But, my memory is sketchy...

I dont think being on the bench or the statement mean anything; the statement was I'm sure meant to be as vague as possible.

The thing that makes the most sense is he didn;t hand a paper or something in at the end of last semester.

You know what? Who cares. We've put ourselves through the ringer over and over and over again with this program for the past two years. I don't have the energy to try to derive some theory or sort through the countless rumors, anecdotes, and overheard tidbits that are sure to flood forth in the coming week. Whatever has caused him to be out, he's out. Until he's back. When he comes back, he's back. Until he is gone again. So be it.

You know what? Who cares. We've put ourselves through the ringer over and over and over again with this program for the past two years. I don't have the energy to try to derive some theory or sort through the countless rumors, anecdotes, and overheard tidbits that are sure to flood forth in the coming week. Whatever has caused him to be out, he's out. Until he's back. When he comes back, he's back. Until he is gone again. So be it.
I would love to see Grant move forward & not look back until he's drafted. Obviously, Southerland will be missed, but he's not so critical to the team's defense as Fab. How does someone go this far & now in his last year, this BS?

I dont think being on the bench or the statement mean anything; the statement was I'm sure meant to be as vague as possible.

The thing that makes the most sense is he didn;t hand a paper or something in at the end of last semester.

The thing that makes the most sense is that he somehow garnered an INC in one of his classes.

My hunch is James and the basketball team/advisors will appeal the grade. AS a student he can appeal. The appeal takes a couple weeks, think to fab last year

The thing that makes the most sense is that he somehow garnered an INC in one of his classes.

yeah that's what i was getting at; probably didn't phrase it the best way

Wouldn't he have had the past 3 weeks or so since 1st semester classes ended to make up an incomplete?

Maybe they found metal in his pockets when he got wanded on his way into dome

How about we try something unique versus trying to triangulate in what occured?

Let's wait and see what happens.

yeah, god forbid should we use a fan forum like this to discuss a significant situation facing the team of which we are fans

It's not that I'm against discussing it. It just seems so.. futile. We absolutely abused ourselves over Fab Melo, and it really never got us any closer to knowing what went on or why. I'm out of energy for this one. And it sort of starts gnawing at the whole sandcastle when you look at this golden age the program is in, and it most certainly is, but it still gets a flat tire every single year because of lapses of basic discipline, management, oversight, responsibility, or whatever is causing these problems. When you realize you are on a treadmill and will never reach the end, you start wondering what's the point?

I for one won't lose any sleep over this, the way I did with Fab. The silver lining here is amazingly bright. DC and Grant both earn more time while Southy is out. Grants talent is through the roof and seeing Coleman go all Hulk Smash mode for the first time since the SDSU game was great. Don't get me wrong, I want JS back. But his absence makes our team that much stronger in the long run, provided his eligibility is reinstated of course.

Love the Hulk Smash line... And I've been waiting for DC2 to show that fire since SDSU as well.
I was starting to wonder if he only got fired up when at sea.

Several people here know what the story is. However, out of respect for James' privacy... and out of respect for the university's policy regarding a student's privacy, and for the federal law protecting a student's privacy, they are not going to say anything until this matter is played out through appropriate channels. And that is the way it should be. We should stop flagellating ourselves about something over which we have no control.

Several people here know what the story is. However, out of respect for James' privacy... and out of respect for the university's policy regarding a student's privacy, and for the federal law protecting a student's privacy, they are not going to say anything until this matter is played out through appropriate channels. And that is the way it should be. We should stop flagellating ourselves about something over which we have no control.

Agreed... After I googled "flagellating"

Several people here know what the story is.
see... why even say something like this? obviously there are some well-connected individuals in our little online community here, but that often seems to be flaunted in a "I'll bet you wish you knew what I know" sort of way.

I agree; I just hope there is hope.

see... why even say something like this? obviously there are some well-connected individuals in our little online community here, but that often seems to be flaunted in a "I'll bet you wish you knew what I know" sort of way.
I am sorry you misinterpreted my post in that fashion. It is 180 degrees from what I meant to convey. I was just trying to explain WHY people are not going into the details. Just as they didn't with the Roger Springfield situation. As I have said before, maybe I should just never say anything, because I (and others) sometimes have to walk a fine line here.

Status
Not open for further replies.