Reading the Oronde Tea Leaves… | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Reading the Oronde Tea Leaves…

Status
Not open for further replies.
It’s football and it’s also remarkable the luck this program has. No two ways about it. Injuries to those types of players kill seasons. We’ll see what the WR core can do Saturday, but it’s very possible the OG injury has derailed yet another season
Depth at wr is far better this year. Isaiah Jones, Hatcher, and Brown should be able to do well. Then Long and Gill are good depth.

Before the season I would’ve 100% bought into the argument that losing OG would “derail the season”

Now, after watching Brown, Hatcher, Jones, etc. and watching GS with his eyes down the field when he drops back, OG being gone doesn’t even come close to “derailing the season”. And that’s incredible that I can type that with a straight face.

Overall it sucks, but there will be no derailment IMO
Jones, Hatcher, Brown, and Alford will do fine, and that's not including Allen.
It's next man up for this team.

Before the season I would’ve 100% bought into the argument that losing OG would “derail the season”

Now, after watching Brown, Hatcher, Jones, etc. and watching GS with his eyes down the field when he drops back, OG being gone doesn’t even come close to “derailing the season”. And that’s incredible that I can type that with a straight face.

Same thoughts as well. Hopefully he can be back by the ACC schedule and give a boost, but the other guys look really good. Isaiah Jones has been great.

Sometimes next man up is a disaster, and sometimes next man up is an opportunity.

Feels like we're dealing with the latter.

Sounds like he will be out either the majority of the season or the entire season.
Agreed. I've never seen a kid limp off the field, go straight into the locker room and return to the sideline in a boot. I've not seen that happen before and have it be nothing serious. I'm hoping it's a 6-8 week thing but I wouldn't be surprised either if he's out for the year.

If the rumblings are true (not this post), likely won't be back until November at the earliest.

Not great. I think people are over-estimating this WR group. With OG, they are the group we should always have as a baseline of talent.

Without him, we have work to do and guys need to step up and perform over expectations.

We have talent in the room, but it needs to be consistent game to game and snap to snap. It has to be better. And it has to be done against P5 opponents now (outside of Army).

Not great. I think people are over-estimating this WR group. With OG, they are the group we should always have as a baseline of talent.

Without him, we have work to do and guys need to step up and perform over expectations.

We have talent in the room, but it needs to be consistent game to game and snap to snap. It has to be better. And it has to be done against P5 opponents now (outside of Army).

could be the scheme is better too. Hopefully. I don't think Beck will ever be "establish the run" guy

Any prognostication about time out for OG - as they say in the estimation business - are WAG’s.

Having said that, I do think the team may be better able to cope than we might have thought before we saw some of the younger fellas development.

Very true and i feel the same way. This is not a derailment currently and i thought it would be at the beginning of the year. But i do fear any more injuries occurring at the position. Depth wise this hurts. We don't have an unlimited supply and we play a lot of WR's and it appears they will be used a lot this season. But I guess we do have Adams who hasn't played much yet and Long who has looked decent but I'm not sure yet that i want him playing too many snaps. Its just a shallow depth chart bodies wise and still a lot of games left.

I didn't pay attention much to how we adjusted to OG's injury positionally. who did we stick in OG's spot?

I believe from his posting history the OP has information from time to time. I may be mistaken.
I thought that was the other "Dad."
Agreed. I've never seen a kid limp off the field, go straight into the locker room and return to the sideline in a boot. I've not seen that happen before and have it be nothing serious. I'm hoping it's a 6-8 week thing but I wouldn't be surprised either if he's out for the year.
He went to the tent first. I'm encouraged by the fact that, unlike Dave W., he could walk off the field without assistance.

I thought that was the other "Dad."

He went to the tent first. I'm encouraged by the fact that, unlike Dave W., he could walk off the field without assistance.

I know he went to the tent first and I was encouraged that he walked off until he came out with a boot. That's not normal unless it's a really bad sprain. But guys have more trouble walking with really bad sprains. Aaron Rodgers walked off to. I'll breath a sigh of relief when we know it's not his achilles.

It’s football and guys get hurt
X gets the square.

It's a sport premised on huge, fast guys violently colliding with each other. It's remarkable that anybody survives a season without suffering a catastrophic injury.

Guys get hurt because that's the whole point of the sport.

We want the S&C program to do what exactly? Strengthen his high ankle?

Do we even know - has it been disclosed - what the actual injury is?

I mean - Rodgers calf/Achilles buckled, but they disclosed it pretty quickly. X-rays negative, they feared the worst, MRI confirmed it.

With OG, I don't have a clue what it was.

Do we even know - has it been disclosed - what the actual injury is?

I mean - Rodgers calf/Achilles buckled, but they disclosed it pretty quickly. X-rays negative, they feared the worst, MRI confirmed it.

With OG, I don't have a clue what it was.
No official word, and there will never be one.

It'll leak out here soon enough I'm sure.

I don’t expect OG back this week, but it wouldn’t shock me if he played. I’ve tweaked my ankles plenty of times playing sports. Broken both. The fact he was slightly jogging and putting pressure on it tells me it’s not that serious. The boot and crutches was probably just extreme caution. Ellis has been in a boot and there’s talks he’s back this week.

I don’t expect OG back this week, but it wouldn’t shock me if he played. I’ve tweaked my ankles plenty of times playing sports. Broken both. The fact he was slightly jogging and putting pressure on it tells me it’s not that serious. The boot and crutches was probably just extreme caution. Ellis has been in a boot and there’s talks he’s back this week.

He’s not playing.

Go and read about other schools, everyone deals with top talent injuries. Starting QBs, Running backs, wide outs, DBs, etc. everyone deals with it. You just don't hear about it because you're not on their boards every day
Yeah but we’re not like most other schools. Most P5 schools produce far more NFL talent than Syracuse does. Injury’s to our top end players typically derail seasons. We’ll see if this year we have the depth…

Go and read about other schools, everyone deals with top talent injuries. Starting QBs, Running backs, wide outs, DBs, etc. everyone deals with it. You just don't hear about it because you're not on their boards every day

Exactly.

Many times in the past, some have blamed entire seasonal records on the loss of a guy or two, all the while overlooking that it is part of the game. Everybody has those issues but there is a factor that separates the men from the boys, so to speak.

Dino himself stated a few years back that a main difference between a good MAC team and a P5 team was quality depth. The good MAC team had some solid starters but very little behind them. Sounds like us in some seasons past.

On the surface, we seem to have some good depth in many areas this year. Not everywhere, but in more areas than in the past. We were always/are going to have some guys go down, and it will be how we compensate for that with their backups that counts. On the surface, our receiving corps looks improved. We will find out just how true that is on Saturday.

Make no mistake; few teams can fully compensate for an injury to a pre-season All American and I don't expect us to either. Still, we hopefully have enough quality depth to minimize the impact and certainly enough so that the loss of OG doesn't "derail the season."

Injuries differ person to person. We all saw Kobe tear his achilles, hit 2 free throws, and walk off with no assistance. And we’ve also all seen players tear their achilles, not be able to put an ounce of pressure on it, and have to get carted off. How significant OGs injury is remains to be seen, but I can promise you he will not play Saturday.

Status
Not open for further replies.