Reading the Washington basketball threads | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Reading the Washington basketball threads

You know as well as I why Hop decided to leave. And it had nothing to do with his going 4-5. And his going 4-5 was in no way an indicator of his ability to be successful as a HC. He coached JBs team using what JB wanted him to do.

I’m on the record for saying this year should of been Mike’s first and I wish it were. Others say things will be better next year. Okay...we’ll see...
I do know why. and you may not like it but the 4-5 record and the local fans reaction to it, and a great effect on Hop.

I do know why. and you may not like it but the 4-5 record and the local fans reaction to it, and a great effect on Hop.

Sure, I get that but and the lack of support from ADJW mattered more especially when JB decided he wanted to coach Buddy.

I do

There are losses Syracuse had that Washington probably wouldn't have had and there are losses that Washington had that Syracuse wouldn't have had. The teams are similar and Washington has the talent Syracuse has of not better. No reason they wouldn't be a middle of the pack team in the ACC this year.

There are losses Syracuse had that Washington probably wouldn't have had and there are losses that Washington had that Syracuse wouldn't have had. The teams are similar and Washington has the talent Syracuse has of not better. No reason they wouldn't be a middle of the pack team in the ACC this year.
We'll agree to disagree.
1553392070937.gif

The AD is paid to have some guts. And he definitely failed in that regard.

Hop got a really good job before it reached that point. They don’t even have an NBA team in Seattle.

Too hard to tell what happens if UW didn’t call him up and ‘resolve’ the pending staredown. I guarantee the Buddy situation and him being on the roster wouldn’t have helped get JB to hand over the reins.

Hop got a really good job before it reached that point. They don’t even have an NBA team in Seattle.

Too hard to tell what happens if UW didn’t call him up and ‘resolve’ the pending staredown. I guarantee the Buddy situation and him being on the roster wouldn’t have helped get JB to hand over the reins.

Concur...But that doesn’t man Wildhack succeeded. He failed and got lucky. His best move to date has been extending Q.

If you could trade Washington's roster for our roster, would you? Going into next year, I think it's a tough decision..

Well he will have 3 upstate kids on scholarship plus 1 preferred walk on next year. Also heard from some basketball heads in Rochester that Lamb from Vermont is considering grad transferring to play with those guys and Hop. How true I have no idea but wouldn't be shocking based on how Hop connects with players..

I honestly feel like it’s the #1 factor. I don’t know Hop we’ll but have talked to him 3-4 times in person and the first time was before season 1 and I said thanks for everything you did for Syracuse Basketball and it was total crap the way some people criticized you after the 9 games. He looked at me and said coach was coming back, it’s his team. I had to do things the way he would want and all the players know he’s coming back. It’s not my team. The look in his eyes when he said this was genuine hurt and pain. It was clear he thought he had built up sweat equity and how quick the pitch forks came out shocked him. He looked really emotional when he said it. I personally think it cut him pretty deep and was the catalyst for everything else that happened.

Im happy for him. 20 plus years of loyalty being shat on at the 12th hour results in great Karma for him.
So share what the real story is—about how the school or Wildhack shat on him.

Agree but it’s on the fans as much as the university no one wanted him on here after his cameo despite that team reaching the final four. The fan base was backing off that engagement way more than the AD and consensus was he had to prove elsewhere that he deserved the job.
This is a garbage take. Every other Cuse fan I know—most of them family and friends in Syracuse—was excited about Hop. I guess it shows what a cesspool some of this board has become. You’re taking a few loudmouth outliers and extrapolating that into the entire fan base.

yeah, everyone on the board was saying that after Hop went 4-5 in a his mini tenure here. And that had a big effect on Hop and his decision to leave. Washington beat a terrible league this year. And that is all they have done.
Garbage take #2. Yea, he heard that a few loudmouth clowns on the syracusefan message board weren’t happy with his 4-5 record in JB’s absence and decided, yeah, I don’t want the Syracuse job anymore. That’s exactly what happened.

Last edited:
He was a year away from the job and left.
Specifics please. Because everything I and others have heard is that it became clear to Hop that JB didn’t want to retire (and he knew it was a forced retirement that Syverud set in motion 3 years before after sanctions were handed down) and wanted a chance to possibly coach Buddy, and he didn’t want to be the one to force out his mentor (even if it wasn’t actually his doing). So when the Washington job opened, he saw it as a great opportunity and leapt at it. The AD and Chancellor were sticking with the plan of succession that had long been set in motion.

Last edited:
Specifics please. Because everything I an dad others have heard is that it became clear to Hop that JB didn’t want to retire (and he knew it was a forced retirement that Syverud set in motion 3 years before after sanctions were handed down) and wanted a chance to possibly coach Buddy, and he didn’t want to be the one to force out his mentor (even if it wasn’t actually his doing). So when the Washington job opened, he saw it as a great opportunity and leapt at it. The AD and Chancellor were sticking with the plan of succession that had long been set in motion.

This is exactly what I heard. Being in that position it would take a very cold person to do that to JB.

Specifics please. Because everything I an dad others have heard is that it became clear to Hop that JB didn’t want to retire (and he knew it was a forced retirement that Syverud set in motion 3 years before after sanctions were handed down) and wanted a chance to possibly coach Buddy, and he didn’t want to be the one to force out his mentor (even if it wasn’t actually his doing). So when the Washington job opened, he saw it as a great opportunity and leapt at it. The AD and Chancellor were sticking with the plan of succession that had long been set in motion.
If Hop didnt land the UW job the Chancellor would have made sure JB retired. There is no doubt about that. H

Wait Lamb is considering transferring to UW? We only have room for one more if Nowell stays. Hardy might transfer but man that would be huge.

Quade, Nowell, Jaden McDaniels, Lamb/Naz/Wright, and Stewart. Woof... with 2 athletic 7 footers, Bey, and Raequan Battle coming off the bench. That team would be insanely loaded and deep.

Hop’s going to do it at Washington.

You mean they are excited about winning one tournament game? Big wow. That was us. Before Jb and 45 years ago.

Come on Dash...that’s do not what it is. They’re not a basketball school. And now they are winning. It’s genuine enthusiasm. And Hop...an Orange guy who left the West Coast to get eastern hoops...is bringing it. They have hoops now. It’s not about winning one tournament game. It’s about the potential to win more. We shouldn’t crap on that.

We should aspire to be better.

44cuse

Come on Dash...that’s do not what it is. They’re not a basketball school. And now they are winning. It’s genuine enthusiasm. And Hop...an Orange guy who left the West Coast to get eastern hoops...is bringing it. They have hoops now. It’s not about winning one tournament game. It’s about the potential to win more. We shouldn’t crap on that.

We should aspire to be better.

44cuse
UW’s a football school. Seattle’s a basketball city.

They made it to the second round and may have two top 10 kids coming in next year. I wish that's all we did this year.
May have, or do? Because we actually had a Top 10 player in Bazley last year that signed and everything.

I'm sorry, this is a moronic question. You are asking me if I would trade a 74 year old man for a 40 something year old man. Who do you think?

I rather have JB. I want the zone gone when he leaves. It breeds boring basketball.

If Hop didnt land the UW job the Chancellor would have made sure JB retired. There is no doubt about that.

So, if Romar doesn't get fired, Hop would have taken over the Syracuse job after the 2018 season ended (as planned).

Hop chose to leave a year early when the Washington job opened up.

How does that translate to Hop being shat on?

Hop was faced with two great choices: stay in Syracuse and take over a pretty decent program, or move closer to his ailing father and start a fresh legacy at UW. He couldn't go wrong either way.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SyraFreed

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom