Real Talk...Expectations for tomorrow | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Real Talk...Expectations for tomorrow

I think we will have a hard time running the ball consistently even against your reserves who have been pressed into service. I think our best hope is short/screen passes to Tucker that get chunk yards.

As for your O - I think you hit a big play or 2 on our secondary, and that may be the difference.

Cuse covers the +17, Clemson wins

We win if:

- We can get something consistent in the run game on our end. Doesn't need to be record-setting, but we need to move the ball, even if it's not on scoring drives.
- We'll need to hit one deep ball. I know it's not Shrader's bread and butter, but we have to hit one of these once they start creeping up.
- We need to make all FGs inside of 45 yards.
- Defense has to limit big plays and probably get at least one TO.

I think we can recover from one bonehead play or one big play on Clemson's end. Anything more, I think we're toast.

I would LOVE one unforced error from Clemson (snap over the QBs head) or one surprising play from our end (Pena returning a punt).

We don't need to play perfectly to win, but we need to play very, very well. And, I think this goes without saying, Dino and the coaches need to have a good game from the sidelines.

I think that we have wasted a lot of chances to win some very winnable games against teams that came out flat.

I think Clemson, with extra time to prepare, comes out firing and plays their best game of the season. I think they win something like 31-17, but a Clemson blowout that covers is not out of the realm IMO.

I think we are forced to move the ball through the air and lose by 3 scores.

I have never been this pessimistic and there is no reason for it the way we have been playing (outside of coaching). But for some reason I just dont have a great feeling about this game.

Clemson comes out early after a bye week and shows a few things we have not seen yet and gets some points. SU claws back to make it a game. The team that turns the ball over (or is unable to punt efficiently) loses. Low scoring. Loud Dome. People in Orange go home happy. People in Orange go home sad.
I find zero argument in this. Well done.

Vegas isn't dumb, unfortunately I think Clemson wins by double digits. The bye week, no Taj, and coming off two heartbreaking losses will take its toll. Cuse is going to be in a battle for 6-6 and how they are heath wise going in and out of the bye will make or break their chances. At the end of the season we will look back and once again say what if (a la 2017).

Welcome to our world, GBO. Ain't it a hoot? Lol.

Everything you say, I can easily see in reverse. IF all 5 of our oline are healthy? I can see it being a somewhat competitive game. For how long? I dunno. I think Venables has a very good chance of containing both Tucker and Shrader.

IF Bleich is out? I dont like our chances. IF Servais is out? Forget about it. IF Bergeron is out? Pffffttt... Blood bath. (all 3 banged up, last week)

For me? It comes down to the Health of our oline vs. Venables. I have to give the edge to Venables. Contain those 2? Thats the game. Even if our defense is respectable.

Like you say...
OLINE is dinged up. Can we run against Clemson who is suppose to have
a pretty stout D?
I think the CUSE secondary is going to give up some big plays. DUCE will "bite" on the first move.
and how does Greenwood play against 6'3" + WRs?
Clemson/Venables has had an extra week to prepare.
I just don't like what I'm feeling...sorry.

Clemson off a bye while we have a short week. We’re coming off an emotional game in which we played really well. Going up against a tough run defense. Both sides dinged up a bit.

I think we’re going to come out fired up and play a great first half. If we can take a 7-10 lead into halftime I think it’s possible that we hold on given how bad their offense has been. If we don’t take a lead into half and the dome loses a little juice in the second I’d be a little surprised if we cover 14.

Really tough spot for us but the team has played their asses off every game so I’m never going to assume a loss.

Welcome to our world, GBO. Ain't it a hoot? Lol.

Everything you say, I can easily see in reverse. IF all 5 of our oline are healthy? I can see it being a somewhat competitive game. For how long? I dunno. I think Venables has a very good chance of containing both Tucker and Shrader.

IF Bleich is out? I dont like our chances. IF Servais is out? Forget about it. IF Bergeron is out? Pffffttt... Blood bath. (all 3 banged up, last week)

For me? It comes down to the Health of our oline vs. Venables. I have to give the edge to Venables. Contain those 2? Thats the game. Even if our defense is respectable.
And we have a winner. OL is in really bad shape

Like you say...
OLINE is dinged up. Can we run against Clemson who is suppose to have
a pretty stout D?
I think the CUSE secondary is going to give up some big plays. DUCE will "bite" on the first move.
and how does Greenwood play against 6'3" + WRs?
Clemson/Venables has had an extra week to prepare.
I just don't like what I'm feeling...sorry.
Same. Am I going? ABSOLUTELY. Its not impossible that the home team has a pretty good night.

And we have a winner. OL is in really bad shape
Maybe not? (My hope) Serv went back out for a series, last week. Berg played through it. Let's put some duct tape on those guys and see what happens.

GBO buys us all breakfast on Saturday morning...the most meaningful result of tomorrow’s game. Either he feels giddy that Clemson whupped us or feels bad that we whupped them. Either way, we win!!

I'm going to disagree with you here...there is no way we score over 14 points.

Funny you say that because I was just about to post that if we score more than 21, we win. Anything less, Clemson gets the W.

If we can complete a pass of over 10 yards (in the air) we have a puncher's chance. Venables has a plan to shut down Tucker and the ground game

My wife and I are going to be at Disneyland while this game is played. I fully expect that I'll forget and will accidentally see the score.

GBO, I hate saying this, but when your program is down, we need to beat the Hell out of you.

What are everyone's expectations for tomorrow? Are you guys expecting a close game, home team blowout, a game so boring that no one watches the second half, etc.

I fully expect Clemson to continue to look like the bad news bears with:
1. Multiple three and outs
2. An offense that runs the same 6 plays
3. Tony Elliott to look absolutely clueless when the camera pans to him in the box
4. The defense to be on the field for 40+ minutes
5. Dabo saying at halftime we need to make adjustments and then not make any adjustments

Just a few off the top of my head...

Swap out "Tony Elliott" and "Dabo" for their respective (real) Orange counterparts, and we all probably think the exact same things. ;)

• Haha
Reactions: gbo