Real talk - Mullen wouldn't be doing what Brown is right now | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Real talk - Mullen wouldn't be doing what Brown is right now

If you thought SU needed Xs and Os, and better clock management, you would have gone in a different direction.

If you thought we needed more ACC level talent, you would want Fran Brown. An aggressive young recruiter with established connections in our 6 hr radius. Get better talent, first priority.

People who don’t get results, make excuses. Fran Brown is making no excuses. We can recruit to Syracuse in the modern age. This, we now know.
Agree completely. Wonderful to not be talking about how we need to get our facilities up to par and our NIL increased. Just win baby

Tuesday Real Talk GIF by GCash

The people who run Syracuse football have been setting the table for a while now, Fran is taking the opportunity and running with it with everything he's got. And the results are excellent, couldn't hope for more. I think any good coach would would give his all and the direction or style might be different, but they would be making a dramatic impact. Syracuse football is something, it might not be Notre Dame or USC or Ohio State, but it is something. That's why Fran took the job, he sees it.

People who don’t get results, make excuses. Fran Brown is making no excuses. We can recruit to Syracuse in the modern age. This, we now know.
Here’s the immediate concern, he and his A-Team of recruiters can get guys here. Which I am NOT complaining about.

Making it sustainable is a huge task. He and his team are cashing in on all the recruits current and prior that were at least partly based on where they were working. You can’t stay there until you get there , which it looks like they have done. They need to turn this place into one that in part sells itself.

Here’s the immediate concern, he and his A-Team of recruiters can get guys here. Which I am NOT complaining about.

Making it sustainable is a huge task. He and his team are cashing in on all the recruits current and prior that were at least partly based on where they were working. You can’t stay there until you get there , which it looks like they have done. They need to turn this place into one that in part sells itself.
and the first time he calls a bad timeout or punts on 4th down from the 50 everyone will want him fired.

He will be the 6th HC in a row that can't "manage a game" KCSU calling for CEO status after game 2

Brown appears to be immune to our challenges so far.

Perhaps we're not as challenged as we have believed.
I have been saying this for years. we have proven it can be done here. We just didnt have the guys who were determined enough or believed. Why would it take 7 years before Dino really started pushing in Jersey. Its like he was gonna wing it. kills me

Actually winning will make a big difference (obvious). He has to keep his connection to recruiting then hire younger guys who do. Continual focus on building recruiting. We won’t ever be a selector.

...I just realised that every time i heard "Dan Mullen" I was actually picturing Mark Richt in my head.

The people who run Syracuse football have been setting the table for a while now, Fran is taking the opportunity and running with it with everything he's got. And the results are excellent, couldn't hope for more. I think any good coach would would give his all and the direction or style might be different, but they would be making a dramatic impact. Syracuse football is something, it might not be Notre Dame or USC or Ohio State, but it is something. That's why Fran took the job, he sees it.
It's the speed, though. In our wildest dreams we couldn't have imagined this immediate impact.
And most importantly, HCFB has us believing again. That our memories of SU football are not just fleeting, nostalgic, or sparse.
Been on this forum over a decade or more, & this is the most fun I've ever had. Good times!

We won. It feels good to win. (let’s hope he can coach)
So here is the thing about coaching/managing. the key is to select/hire the right people (recruits & other coaches) train those folks to the best of your ability and then let your players play. Coaching is more about motivating people than anything else. As long as FB has others around who have talent, knowledge and can be successful then so will he.

Xs and Os will come by committe me thinks. I'm pretty convinced that FB will now be successful.

and the first time he calls a bad timeout or punts on 4th down from the 50 everyone will want him fired.

He will be the 6th HC in a row that can't "manage a game" KCSU calling for CEO status after game 2
NFK

It's the speed, though. In our wildest dreams we couldn't have imagined this immediate impact.
And most importantly, HCFB has us believing again. That our memories of SU football are not just fleeting, nostalgic, or sparse.
Been on this forum over a decade or more, & this is the most fun I've ever had. Good times!

Reminds me of when Boeheim got the job and his impact guys.

Thanksgiving was fun, Christmas is exponentially more so.

No slight to Mullen, because I think he would have been able to execute the resurgence, albeit in a much different way. That said, I didn't know that what's happening now was possible at that time. With the benefit of Fran delivering in the way he has, I feel like JW rolled the dice and caught lightning in a bottle.

There’s not another staff in the country that would be doing this here. JW put all his chips on talent acquisition. Brown is getting results in what he is acknowledged to be elite at.

So far, the plan is coming together. It’s a great start.
Agreed and not really a blue print that can be duplicated imo as there are maybe only a couple guys like Fran out there and they don’t have those NE ties that I now believe is essential for a foundation. The stars also aligned with Jimbo getting fired and making it easier to pry ERob away after many have been unsuccessful for years.

Also agree with your next post about needing to be successful and keep this energy over the next couple of years in order to sustain. Some of these relationships with guys A&M and Georgia were recruiting will dry up a little so we need to stay hot to get in the doors with those kids/schools in the future.

He is doing great things. I think the Syracuse program was begging for somebody to come in and promote it, it has a huge dormant power and history, it has a lot to work with. It's a great match.

That is fair. The one thing I will say is that these guys do have a track record of being excellent recruiters.

Honestly, there might not be 10 head coaches who could come in and have immediate equivalent recruiting victories that Fran Brown has amassed at this point.

I was super pro-Mullen but this is insane!

I’m not sure it’s 10, considering the staff he was able to bring in too for recruiting. We’re in a unicorn world right now at least for a little bit.

If you thought SU needed Xs and Os, and better clock management, you would have gone in a different direction.

If you thought we needed more ACC level talent, you would want Fran Brown. An aggressive young recruiter with established connections in our 6 hr radius. Get better talent, first priority.

Here’s the thing. You need guys who can coach. But coaching with lower level talent is tough for numerous reasons. Even if the staff is amazing at X’s and 0’s, those players still make mistakes or aren’t as talented, even with the best coaching. Game plan has to work almost perfectly to win tough games. But with talent, you’re almost always in every game because the super star players can still
make great plays even if hindered by a poor staff or poor play calling.

I use to hate watching Jordan as a Knicks fan. You might contain him for 3 quarters but at some point, even if you’re up 17, his talent comes out and finds a way to win. BB game against Oregon very similar. We ended up “dominating” in a way even with turning the ball over like we were playing a pick up game. With so many of their starters out, it was just a matter of time before our more talented team took over.

We won. It feels good to win. (let’s hope he can coach)
Honestly man, its hard to get used to. Its been sooo long.

I mean, Chesney would be plucking recruits from Holy Cross and Allen would be in the SEC.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom