Realistically, who's coming our way? | Syracusefan.com

Realistically, who's coming our way?

Shark58

BANNED
we got 3 open for next year beyond is the great unknown

the next signing time is neigh

so I ask those of you much more schooled in such matters than I, your best guess(es) who is coming Orange way?

orange+creamsicle+popcorn+5.jpg

We are after 3 players

C- Dembele (Great chance to land him)
Thompson (Not looking good)
G- Mullins (grad transfer, many schools are after him)

My guess: Mustapha Diagne gets off double secret JUCO probation early and commits

That would be interesting, I would take Diagne over Thompson everyday of the week

We just got scholarships back this year. We didn't know we would have them for this years crop of recruits. Also, we're pretty stacked if everyone comes back so not much playing time available for a blue chip recruit. Lastly, the Final 4 run will pay dividends down the road, not immediately.

We could always be Duke and just have Dembele listed as a 5* McDonalds AA just because he commits here.

longislandcuse said:
We just got scholarships back this year. We didn't know we would have them for this years crop of recruits. Also, we're pretty stacked if everyone comes back so not much playing time available for a blue chip recruit. Lastly, the Final 4 run will pay dividends down the road, not immediately. We could always be Duke and just have Dembele listed as a 5* McDonalds AA just because he commits here.

We got one scholarship back. One. And we've known about it for months.

None of the kids we're looking at are blue chip recruits.

I would think a program like Syracuse could fill out its roster with some serviceable players who help next year and contribute in a bigger way in two years.

We'll see how things shake out, but it baffles me how a program, especially one of our stature, could go into a season with only eight players.

Injuries do happen and it helps to have at least 10 quality players for practice purposes.

But then again, what do I know.

I would think a program like Syracuse could fill out its roster with some serviceable players who help next year and contribute in a bigger way in two years.

We'll see how things shake out, but it baffles me how a program, especially one of our stature, could go into a season with only eight players.

Injuries do happen and it helps to have at least 10 quality players for practice purposes.

The vibe I'm getting from Francis is that JB is mailing it in, especially since he won't be around to coach any of these guys. Sucks.

The vibe I'm getting from Francis is that JB is mailing it in, especially since he won't be around to coach any of these guys. Sucks.
I find that hard to believe. You'd think that he'd let Hop add one or two players beyond what JAB would normally recruit. A smooth transition that leads to continued success would look good for JAB and his alma mater.

that is one of our historic deficiencies, lack of serviceable bench guys. we seem to be a stars and scrubs program.

Even with the ship back we still cannot really use ships on guys that can't contribute until we get back to 13. The 8 we will have look very good I am disappointed that we didn't seem to work really hard to land one of these 5th year grad students who only ties up a ship for a season. We may still get one but it doesn't seem overly likely now.

Kid Mamba will get a lot of playing time. My hope is Moyer will be just as good as Malachi was as a freshmen. Lydon replaces G as the primary scoring threat. Mamba drives to the basket. Paschal and Coleman anchor the zone. Howard up top. Tigger getting rebounds. That's all we need.

tigger.png

cuseguy said:
We got one scholarship back. One. And we've known about it for months. None of the kids we're looking at are blue chip recruits. I would think a program like Syracuse could fill out its roster with some serviceable players who help next year and contribute in a bigger way in two years. We'll see how things shake out, but it baffles me how a program, especially one of our stature, could go into a season with only eight players. Injuries do happen and it helps to have at least 10 quality players for practice purposes. But then again, what do I know.

Didn't know the season started. That was quick.

TheCusian said:
Didn't know the season started. That was quick.

Guess you missed the part where I said we'll see how things shake out.

br801 said:
That's not the vibe I'm getting from his podcasts and posts. Interesting interpretation, but almost certainly very wrong.

Correct.

JB is still actively recruiting, but it's now strictly in what he considers his wheelhouse.

Correct.

JB is still actively recruiting, but it's now strictly in what he considers his wheelhouse.
I think he has seen far too many difficult recruiting battles and he can spot them from a mile away. With Duval, I think we were in on him, but as soon as he succumbed to the vultures, JB backed off. There are a few guys that we've gotten neck deep with and went toe to toe until the end, but usually we move on before wasting time and resources. Luckily, there are plenty of good prospects without all the strings and our staff is pretty good at identifying them.

cuseguy said:
Guess you missed the part where I said we'll see how things shake out.

My fault. Just seemed like that cart was way, way out in front of the horse. I don't think anyone thinks JB is going into the season with 8 scholarship players.

Well maybe Franco. Getting to 9 or 10 players would mean JB getting out of his hammock apparently.

cuseguy said:
Correct. JB is still actively recruiting, but it's now strictly in what he considers his wheelhouse.

Reasonable minds can disagree with this approach. But if he believes he can get the talent he needs to compete in his wheelhouse - why go deeper?

It's like FSU fans dinging Jimbo Fisher for not going after a top ten kid in New Jersey, when he can get slightly less talented players from an hour drive away in Florida.

Reasonable minds can disagree with this approach. But if he believes he can get the talent he needs to compete in his wheelhouse - why go deeper?

It's like FSU fans dinging Jimbo Fisher for not going after a top ten kid in New Jersey, when he can get slightly less talented players from an hour drive away in Florida.
I think the issue and "complaint" (to the extent you can call it that) is that the best high major programs don't limit themselves to an isolated geographic footprint. All you need to do is look at the incoming recruiting classes for Duke, UK, Kansas, etc. and if you look at Arizona, Miller is going after players all over the country

Duke - Commits from N.C., Utah, Missouri, VA (and they've gotten big recruits from Illinois in recent years)
UK - Commits from N.C., Texas, Arkansas, New Hampshire
Kansas - Arizona, Michigan and in the mix for three players from Texas
Arizona - New York, Georgia, in the mix for several players from Texas

One recurring theme from Francis is that, while the staff throws looks to players outside of the Northeast, securing a Top 10-20 recruit really requires some facetime with JB ... and he is not going out of his way to see players that don't play in Philly, NY/NJ or New England (Porter in the class of 2017 being the most notable example). Don't get me wrong, I love the Neuman-Gorretti, NEPSAC and Jersey Catholic pipelines, and they've given us some great players in recent year, but it would be nice if we went out of that comfort zone for a player or two each year to try and score a true difference maker.

I think the issue and "complaint" (to the extent you can call it that) is that the best high major programs don't limit themselves to an isolated geographic footprint. All you need to do is look at the incoming recruiting classes for Duke, UK, Kansas, etc. and if you look at Arizona, Miller is going after players all over the country

Duke - Commits from N.C., Utah, Missouri, VA (and they've gotten big recruits from Illinois in recent years)
UK - Commits from N.C., Texas, Arkansas, New Hampshire
Kansas - Arizona, Michigan and in the mix for three players from Texas
Arizona - New York, Georgia, in the mix for several players from Texas

One recurring theme from Francis is that, while the staff throws looks to players outside of the Northeast, securing a Top 10-20 recruit really requires some facetime with JB ... and he is not going out of his way to see players that don't play in Philly, NY/NJ or New England (Porter in the class of 2017 being the most notable example). Don't get me wrong, I love the Neuman-Gorretti, NEPSAC and Jersey Catholic pipelines, and they've given us some great players in recent year, but it would be nice if we went out of that comfort zone for a player or two each year to try and score a true difference maker.

We need some players from Baltimore again.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom