Realistically, who's coming our way? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Realistically, who's coming our way?

Personally, I'm not expecting any huge additions. I think Malachi will be back in 2016, but JAB is out chatting up 2017 targets right now. Louisville hasn't even been hit with any actual penalties and they've already landed a transfer. The longer this drags out the less I expect in new players. Two lucky walkons will end up with schollies. I'm trying to be optimistic, but right now there isn't much chatter.
Lastly, the Final 4 run will pay dividends down the road, not immediately.
I hope so, because some of those classes after the Natty didn't exactly light the world on fire.

Personally, I'm not expecting any huge additions. I think Malachi will be back in 2016, but JAB is out chatting up 2017 targets right now. Louisville hasn't even been hit with any actual penalties and they've already landed a transfer. The longer this drags out the less I expect in new players. Two lucky walkons will end up with schollies. I'm trying to be optimistic, but right now there isn't much chatter.
I hope so, because some of those classes after the Natty didn't exactly light the world on fire.

On paper the 2004 DNich, TRob, Watkins class was great. There was some serious juice coming off of the title, but those players just took longer to develop or didn't quite pan out as anticipated.

Nah.

I'm expecting us to fill all three with quality players. Just because there isn't chatter on the board doesn't mean that recruiting isn't happening behind the scenes--possibly with prospects the board isn't keyed in on. It just means that the board recruitniks--who normally have very solid data--aren't privy to what's happening. There is zero chance that we get shut out. I expect all three spots to be filled.

On paper the 2004 DNich, TRob, Watkins class was great. There was some serious juice coming off of the title, but those players just took longer to develop or didn't quite pan out as anticipated.
Correct. And, if memory serves, Watkins was the highest rated player from that class (#35) and he signed late in the game.

Nah.

I'm expecting us to fill all three with quality players. Just because there isn't chatter on the board doesn't mean that recruiting isn't happening behind the scenes--possibly with prospects the board isn't keyed in on. It just means that the board recruitniks--who normally have very solid data--aren't privy to what's happening. There is zero chance that we get shut out. I expect all three spots to be filled.

That's my thinking. I think all the 2016 spots will be filled. If Malachi returns we will be that much better! I kind of think MR returns but I do not think it's a 100% done deal either.

Kid Mamba will get a lot of playing time. My hope is Moyer will be just as good as Malachi was as a freshmen. Lydon replaces G as the primary scoring threat. Mamba drives to the basket. Paschal and Coleman anchor the zone. Howard up top. Tigger getting rebounds. That's all we need.

View attachment 60622
Lydon being expected to be the primary scoring threat concerns me. He's a great shooter and finished well inside but showed little ability to create for himself, and that's not one of those things we can just expect to develop during the off season. Right now he seems much more comfortable in a sidekick role.

Lydon being expected to be the primary scoring threat concerns me. He's a great shooter and finished well inside but showed little ability to create for himself, and that's not one of those things we can just expect to develop during the off season. Right now he seems much more comfortable in a sidekick role.

That's why it is so important for Richardson to come back. A scoring nucleus of Richardson, Lydon, and Battle with complimentary support from Roberson and others is a nice base to build around.

I'd be more nervous if we have to COUNT on Howard, Roberseon, Coleman et al for scoring next year.

If you're a big time recruit, would you commit to Syracuse for next year?

Are you playing over Battle.. No
Are you playing over Mali (if he stays).. No
Are you playing over Lydon.. No
Are you playing over Roberson.. No
Are you playing over Chukwu.. Probably not

Then you have to fight it out with Howard, Moyer and Coleman for playing time off the bench.

If Mali comes back, that team is stacked.

Now, what I do think hurts us, is JB's short bench. If we went deeper than 7.5-8 (that's what she said) then maybe we would get a higher ranked recruit who wants to play some in his freshman year. As of right now, a guy like Taurean Thompson, isn't seeing court time until his Soph/Junior year, if he doesn't get recruited over.

I understand the excitement for possible new blood and the concern about 8 scholarship players, but I think people are getting a little too anxious about things. The attitudes about recruiting are all over the map. I think a lot of it stems from Francis who gets a little frustrated with JB at times, but realistically in the past few years, he has gotten high level recruits. Lydon, Richardson, Howard (and Diagne) is an absolute beast of a class. Next year with Battle and Moyer is also huge - adding Dembele or a 5th year would be icing on the cake.

Between last year's roster and next year's alone we have player of year winners from NY, NJ (x3), DE, CT, and that doesn't include Mike G. Yet people are acting like JB has completely given up on recruiting.

Then you have to fight it out with Howard, Moyer and Coleman for playing time off the bench.

Now, what I do think hurts us, is JB's short bench. If we went deeper than 7.5-8 (that's what she said) then maybe we would get a higher ranked recruit who wants to play some in his freshman year. As of right now, a guy like Taurean Thompson, isn't seeing court time until his Soph/Junior year, if he doesn't get recruited over.
You don't Thompson would have a chance to play over Roberson or Chukwu? We still need interior offense and Roberson will probably never be a skilled scorer while we have no idea what Chukwu can do. If Thompson has legit post skills, I can see him getting a lot of time.

The elites don't have a problem with bringing in blue chips to compete with their blue chips.

I understand the excitement for possible new blood and the concern about 8 scholarship players, but I think people are getting a little too anxious about things. The attitudes about recruiting are all over the map. I think a lot of it stems from Francis who gets a little frustrated with JB at times, but realistically in the past few years, he has gotten high level recruits. Lydon, Richardson, Howard (and Diagne) is an absolute beast of a class. Next year with Battle and Moyer is also huge - adding Dembele or a 5th year would be icing on the cake.

Between last year's roster and next year's alone we have player of year winners from NY, NJ (x3), DE, CT, and that doesn't include Mike G. Yet people are acting like JB has completely given up on recruiting.
I do think it's realistic to wonder why we can't seem to get a Top 10 guy. There's only 4 teams in the entire country who we have a legit recruiting disadvantage to and that's UK, KU, UNC and Duke. Just speaking on a national scale and no other factors involved, that's it, those are the only schools that we would be at a disadvantage recruiting against yet we can't seal the deal on those guys. I know we recruit to a system and recruit very, very well but it could be better and maybe should be a little better.. The fact we only play 7-8 at most hurts us here too with guys in the 25-75 range who may be on the fence.

That being said, I really, REALLY, like the trajectory of our recruiting and hope it continues under Hop because like you pointed out, last years class, in hindsight, was a monster. Battle, Moyer, Chukwu (transfer) is looking to be another monster class as well. These are NBA caliber guys who fit our system. Can't ask for much more than that.

You don't Thompson would have a chance to play over Roberson or Chukwu? We still need interior offense and Roberson will probably never be a skilled scorer while we have no idea what Chukwu can do. If Thompson has legit post skills, I can see him getting a lot of time.

The elites don't have a problem with bringing in blue chips to compete with their blue chips.

No, I don't think Thompson would play over Roberson or Chukwu next year.

The following year, he'd play a much bigger role, but next year? The incumbents would play over him.

Thompson isn't a blue chip. I've heard nothing but great reviews coming out of Cuse about Chukwu. I fully expect Roberson to beast next year. Thompson isn't starting over either and will have to compete with Moyer and/or Lydon playing multiple positions. Moyer is a better player than Thompson even though one should be a 3 and the other 4, but we play pretty interchangeable there so Moyer would be his competition for playing time.

We need shooting. We don't have enough shooting to win a NC.
Richardson/Lydon are the only known shooters on the roster right now.
Howard/Battle are unknowns.
Roberson/Chukwu/Coleman/Moyer aren't shooters.

JB needs to bring in 2 shooting threats and then Dembele kid would be great.

I don't see how this isn't obvious. We lost 1 shooting threat in Gbinije and another kid who shot a lot in Cooney.

We need shooting. Mullins and a wing shooting threat are what we need.

Thompson would not play over Roberson or Chukwu.

I do think it's realistic to wonder why we can't seem to get a Top 10 guy. There's only 4 teams in the entire country who we have a legit recruiting disadvantage to and that's UK, KU, UNC and Duke. Just speaking on a national scale and no other factors involved, that's it, those are the only schools that we would be at a disadvantage recruiting against yet we can't seal the deal on those guys. I know we recruit to a system and recruit very, very well but it could be better and maybe should be a little better.. The fact we only play 7-8 at most hurts us here too with guys in the 25-75 range who may be on the fence.

That being said, I really, REALLY, like the trajectory of our recruiting and hope it continues under Hop because like you pointed out, last years class, in hindsight, was a monster. Battle, Moyer, Chukwu (transfer) is looking to be another monster class as well. These are NBA caliber guys who fit our system. Can't ask for much more than that.
Scratch NC off your list. They have not recruited one 5 star player for next year.

Coleman starts, day 1.

We need shooting. We don't have enough shooting to win a NC.
Richardson/Lydon are the only known shooters on the roster right now.
Howard/Battle are unknowns.
Roberson/Chukwu/Coleman/Moyer aren't shooters.

JB needs to bring in 2 shooting threats and then Dembele kid would be great.

I don't see how this isn't obvious. We lost 1 shooting threat in Gbinije and another kid who shot a lot in Cooney.

We need shooting. Mullins and a wing shooting threat are what we need.

Not really disagreeing that we need a shooter but it is kinda funny that we're talking about that after Carolina nearly grabs a national championship with basically terrible outside shooting (on the year) and we have a final four from 13 with a team that was as bad a shooting team as I've seen in a long time.

Anyway, I agree, could really use a shooter, but it'll be interesting to see how it plays out.

Scratch NC off your list. They have not recruited one 5 star player for next year.
Tony Bradley committed to UNC (5 Star out of Florida) and they have offers out to Bolden and Ferguson (both 5 star).

If you look at 2017, they already have a verbal from one 5 Star recruit (Felton) and offers out to four others.

I think most of the fanbase is generally happy with how the staff has recruited in recent years. They're great in finding lightly recruited gems that don't stand out in rankings (Lydon, Fair, Grant) and we continue to find success within the Northeast Corridor. But I'd love to see a return to the days where we don't care where a recruit lives (Detroit, Cali, Texas, etc.). Syracuse is a "Name". We have a HOF coach, a strong staff, rabid fan base, great facilities, huge alumni support (from within and outside the program), and are a perennial top-15 team that has had more than its fair share of tournament success. I don't think it's too much to capitalize of this most recent Final 4 run by going after consensus 5 star players, wherever they may live.

In terms of next year, that window is just about closed. Taurean's ship has sailed, so now it's likely Dembele and a grad transfer, if anything, to round out next years roster. The big class we should be looking at is 2017. Lots of possibilities there.

NECuse said:
I think the issue and "complaint" (to the extent you can call it that) is that the best high major programs don't limit themselves to an isolated geographic footprint. All you need to do is look at the incoming recruiting classes for Duke, UK, Kansas, etc. and if you look at Arizona, Miller is going after players all over the country Duke - Commits from N.C., Utah, Missouri, VA (and they've gotten big recruits from Illinois in recent years) UK - Commits from N.C., Texas, Arkansas, New Hampshire Kansas - Arizona, Michigan and in the mix for three players from Texas Arizona - New York, Georgia, in the mix for several players from Texas One recurring theme from Francis is that, while the staff throws looks to players outside of the Northeast, securing a Top 10-20 recruit really requires some facetime with JB ... and he is not going out of his way to see players that don't play in Philly, NY/NJ or New England (Porter in the class of 2017 being the most notable example). Don't get me wrong, I love the Neuman-Gorretti, NEPSAC and Jersey Catholic pipelines, and they've given us some great players in recent year, but it would be nice if we went out of that comfort zone for a player or two each year to try and score a true difference maker.

Good post.

Here's where I think the criticism starts to not make sense. All of the schools you mentioned are largely outside of a natural recruiting ground (Duke is probably the slight exception) that's as good as our is.

Why are we fighting with these schools for NE kids? Because their is more than enough championship caliber talent in our own geographic area. Kansas is a national recruiter because it has to be. Midwest talent wouldn't take them to where they want to be.

We understand this in football. It's why the road to a championship (yes I said championship) is much, much harder in football than it is basketball. There's a reason Villanova, UCONN, and a host of other small NE schools can get enough talent to compete with the blue bloods for championships. And it's not all the west talent.

It's not a cut and dry case because talent can always be better, recruiting nets wider - but I think there's enough "locally" that it's not worth the complaining.

longislandcuse said:
If you're a big time recruit, would you commit to Syracuse for next year? Are you playing over Battle.. No Are you playing over Mali (if he stays).. No Are you playing over Lydon.. No Are you playing over Roberson.. No Are you playing over Chukwu.. Probably not Then you have to fight it out with Howard, Moyer and Coleman for playing time off the bench. If Mali comes back, that team is stacked. Now, what I do think hurts us, is JB's short bench. If we went deeper than 7.5-8 (that's what she said) then maybe we would get a higher ranked recruit who wants to play some in his freshman year. As of right now, a guy like Taurean Thompson, isn't seeing court time until his Soph/Junior year, if he doesn't get recruited over.

If you're a big time recruit you probably think you can.

I'm honestly surprised we do as well as we do. TV exposure, now ACC, HOF coach, Dome, (though I firmly believe it is a morgue more often than not, fans too far from court, etc.) helps but who the hell would want to come here and play zone 24/7?! Especially to prepare them for the next level? Maybe that's why we seem to have so many players who lack fundamentals and basketball IQ, generally. (Insert rim shot). :cool:

we got 3 open for next year beyond is the great unknown

the next signing time is neigh

so I ask those of you much more schooled in such matters than I, your best guess(es) who is coming Orange way?

orange+creamsicle+popcorn+5.jpg

Good post.

Here's where I think the criticism starts to not make sense. All of the schools you mentioned are largely outside of a natural recruiting ground (Duke is probably the slight exception) that's as good as our is.

Why are we fighting with these schools for NE kids? Because their is more than enough championship caliber talent in our own geographic area. Kansas is a national recruiter because it has to be. Midwest talent wouldn't take them to where they want to be.

We understand this in football. It's why the road to a championship (yes I said championship) is much, much harder in football than it is basketball. There's a reason Villanova, UCONN, and a host of other small NE schools can get enough talent to compete with the blue bloods for championships. And it's not all the west talent.

It's not a cut and dry case because talent can always be better, recruiting nets wider - but I think there's enough "locally" that it's not worth the complaining.
I think this is generally true, but only to a point. We absolutely get enough talent in the NE to compete with the blue bloods. We show that year in and year out. But, I think, the issue is a bit narrower. When is the last time we secured a major recruit, beloved by all talent evaluators as one of the best players in their class? Melo?

I do agree that it's not worth complaining over, but man would I love to grab a top-5 generational player one of these years. Give me one year of a Wiggins, Anthony Davis, etc. to complement our already strong NE recruiting. The fanbase and this board would be out of their minds.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom