Realistically, who's coming our way? | Page 8 | Syracusefan.com

Realistically, who's coming our way?

It happens, every program has misses in recruiting, or players who just don't fit in the program. Recruiting isn't an exact science.

Silent G was a miss for K at Duke.

It happens, every program has misses in recruiting, or players who just don't fit in the program. Recruiting isn't an exact science.
That was my point. The original statement implied JB had either 'mastered' it 'as a science' or was infallible in that respect. My position is that he hasn't and isn't. "He's just a man," man.

That was my point. The original statement implied JB had either 'mastered' it 'as a science' or was infallible in that respect. My position is that he hasn't and isn't. "He's just a man," man.

The original comment implied that JB knows more about these recruits than we do, which he does.

But, he 'wanted' Joseph, Buss, BJ, Obokoh, et al... Until he didn't...

Not to dig up a old post but just a thought on these that hasn't been said.

Buss is going to be a hell of a defender for someone problem is he doesn't really fit in as pg or sg, and hadn't developed into a s jumpshooter in anyway. Still would have made a sweet third guard for us and had a hell of a second gear, especially to take the ball to the hole and for pressing. He would have played just like Howard for us this year come march imo.

And last I checked BJ really came on at hitting threes late in the season as well as the potential to pullup in the lane, heck I wouldn't mind him jumping back on board with us if things work out for him a few years down the line.
--With these two we had no more scholorships open after penalty. It was either them or Joseph who regressed.

Joseph wasn't ready for the physicality and speed of play after two years. Thats all there is to it. Couldn't score in the lane, pullup or jumpshoot pg's need to do that. I sum-up the three things that did him in were being stripped at mid court at Miami, getting double block smothered in the lane 1st or 2nd game of the season, and going 0-5 on jumpshooting a game or two midseason. However, this wasn't a longshot he was a top 40 player. Like Brian said not a exact science, and he had as much upside as buss and bj after his freshmen year. but bj and buss gained more this year sitting out.

As for Obokoh first understand hes a center. That is the hardest position to accomadate for in college basketball. 6'9-6'10 is not always good enough physically these days for the superior athletes at center. Its the position you can get pushed around at and unlike a PF who is out there to only rebound at times the 7'1-7'3 kids don't always pan out at anything. Look at Deshaunte Riley and Sean Williams. In the longrun Obokoh isn't going to evolve into a pf for us and gets a extra year elgibility and a chance to play somewhere instead of graduating. To bad he couldn't have evolved into a 4-5 minutes for us this year at PF imo.

I do get the cognitive feeling the last 4-5 years though that JB trusts his staffs picks with little intel at times.

Last edited:
I think he will. He's a natural scorer with size and an extra year under his belt. I think he'll do really well for them.
BJ can rebound really well too... Wish he could have stuck around, could have had a Kris Joseph/DNic type career...

In theory yes, but I think he is in a better place for his future. I don't think he would have gotten the minutes here to showcase his talents, especially with Lydon and Moyer ahead of him.
As of right now its a big assumption to say Moyer would be ahead of him.

As of right now its a big assumption to say Moyer would be ahead of him.

I think a lot of guys would have been ahead of BJ. Moyer is going to have interesting career at SU. Assume Malachi and Lydon do not go NBA, then Moyer will get limited minutes. Sometimes a 4-star sophomore or junior is better than a 5-star freshmen. He seems like a really good not-one-and-done player.

I think Battle is going to be Dion++ right out of the gate. If Battle gets lots of PT we will see Malachi more at the 3. I like both players driving to the basket. I think until Paschal is proven at center we may be still weak at center. And I think we are still weak at PG even though Howard was play pretty good 2015-16 season. Let's hope we get Grant Mullins but landing him is a crap shoot. If we only have Howard maybe we will see Lydon moving the ball up the court or some of the other wings.

Next year's team is has a long way to go before taking shape.

I think a lot of guys would have been ahead of BJ. Moyer is going to have interesting career at SU. Assume Malachi and Lydon do not go NBA, then Moyer will get limited minutes. Sometimes a 4-star sophomore or junior is better than a 5-star freshmen. He seems like a really good not-one-and-done player.

I think Battle is going to be Dion++ right out of the gate. If Battle gets lots of PT we will see Malachi more at the 3. I like both players driving to the basket. I think until Paschal is proven at center we may be still weak at center. And I think we are still weak at PG even though Howard was play pretty good 2015-16 season. Let's hope we get Grant Mullins but landing him is a crap shoot. If we only have Howard maybe we will see Lydon moving the ball up the court or some of the other wings.

Next year's team is has a long way to go before taking shape.
I see things differently.

I see center as being a strength next year. We return what we had and add 7'2". While last year we were defensively challenged at center, we improved as the year went on and we add 7'2". Lydon improved and will get the potential sophomore bump. Huge defensive improvement. We'll have 15 fouls to give and JB will have several different looks and matchups to use. Instead of being a major concern like last year, this coming year other teams will be worried about how they are going to deal with what we have.

Grant Mullins seems like a nice role player type to add - not critical.

And we won't only have Howard to bring the ball up. First, he projects to be the backup to Battle. And after those two come Mal to bring it up. I doubt Lydon's role will be to bring the ball up.

I see things differently.

I see center as being a strength next year. We return what we had and add 7'2". While last year we were defensively challenged at center, we improved as the year went on and we add 7'2". Lydon improved and will get the potential sophomore bump. Huge defensive improvement. We'll have 15 fouls to give and JB will have several different looks and matchups to use. Instead of being a major concern like last year, this coming year other teams will be worried about how they are going to deal with what we have.

Grant Mullins seems like a nice role player type to add - not critical.

And we won't only have Howard to bring the ball up. First, he projects to be the backup to Battle. And after those two come Mal to bring it up. I doubt Lydon's role will be to bring the ball up.

I was thinking Lydon would last resort to break any press. He's tall and a pretty good ball handler. But you are right in the order you suggested. I'm just not so sure Battle will play PG. And I'm not sure Malachi will play PG also. Battle seems like a solid 2. And Malachi seems like 2 or 3. But I don't really disagree with your assessment either. The 2016-17 team will have to do what they have to do to replace TC and G.

And in terms of center, some posters here have question Paschal as being the primary center. He may need some work during next season before he becomes a plug-n-play component of the team.

If Mal were a 4 year player it would be fun to try him at the point; a point with a near 7' wing span.
I am not excited by a point guard without an outside shot. we need offense.

Last edited:
If Mal were a 4 year player it would be fun to try him at the point; a point with a near 7' wing span.
I am not excited by a point guard without an outside shot. we need offense.

Every time I see your avatar I want to go fishing in Alaska.

I was thinking Lydon would last resort to break any press. He's tall and a pretty good ball handler. But you are right in the order you suggested. I'm just not so sure Battle will play PG. And I'm not sure Malachi will play PG also. Battle seems like a solid 2. And Malachi seems like 2 or 3. But I don't really disagree with your assessment either. The 2016-17 team will have to do what they have to do to replace TC and G.

And in terms of center, some posters here have question Paschal as being the primary center. He may need some work during next season before he becomes a plug-n-play component of the team.
I think Battle gets first crack at being the pg. I think it was a lure to get him here. And JB would be salivating over the length of Battle, Mal, Lydon, TRob, 7'2". If Battle does well with his opportunity I think he will see a lot of time there.

And I think what many posters are saying is DC2 will start. That is not necessarily a knock on PC as it is recognizing (as JB probably will) a 5th yr McD senior who has put in his dues. The 5th yr dues paying senior starts over the sophomore transfer. Who finishes is a different story and will depend on game situations. But I think most people expect a significant defensive contribution out of PC.

I think Battle gets first crack at being the pg. I think it was a lure to get him here. And JB would be salivating over the length of Battle, Mal, Lydon, TRob, 7'2". If Battle does well with his opportunity I think he will see a lot of time there.

And I think what many posters are saying is DC2 will start. That is not necessarily a knock on PC as it is recognizing (as JB probably will) a 5th yr McD senior who has put in his dues. The 5th yr dues paying senior starts over the sophomore transfer. Who finishes is a different story and will depend on game situations. But I think most people expect a significant defensive contribution out of PC.

Nice quote from At their request, this network is being blocked from this site. on Kid Mamba:

"It's pretty easy to figure out why we have Tyus Battle ranked as a 5-star player: he knows how to play the game. Blessed with a high basketball IQ and a sweet jumper that extends well past the 3-point line, Battle can also blow by you or just finish over the top."

Nice quote from At their request, this network is being blocked from this site. on Kid Mamba:

"It's pretty easy to figure out why we have Tyus Battle ranked as a 5-star player: he knows how to play the game. Blessed with a high basketball IQ and a sweet jumper that extends well past the 3-point line, Battle can also blow by you or just finish over the top."

Battle and Richardson could give us two Gbinje's in the back court at the same time.

The original comment implied that JB knows more about these recruits than we do, which he does.

"As always my basic rule is: if JB wants a kid, I want him to get him."

That statement has no 'implications' about what 'we know.' It does imply, however, that you 'wanted' Buss, BJ, KJ, Obokoh, et al. If that's true, fine. Own that. Nothing at all wrong with it. None of us knew how those signings were going to pan out.

And my reply does imply that, even if he does know more than we know, he still makes choices that can be considered to have been 'mistakes.'

I did not expect G to be declared the PG for the 2016-17 season. Who knows what's going to happen!
I didn't either, because it was a bad sign for the team (KJ not producing, FH not ready). But I have to give G credit .. he really played well at the top of the zone, both shooting and defending. Obviously, once Howard was ready to contribute and play at least marginal D, G could drop down to SF where he was much more of a matchup headache for opposing teams. But that didn't happen until the post season.

You may have some points here, Sgt. Once the Battletank arrives and practice and OOC games start, I expect that the staff's going to take a hard look at our guard rotation. If we get Mullins, I think it's less likely that Battle plays PG .. since we'll have one experienced PG and another kid (Howard) who's ready to contribute. Either way, JB's got options:

Lineup 1 (backups): Battle and Mali at the 1 and 2 (Mullins/Howard to rotate in); Lydon at the 3 (Mali); Roberson at the 4 (Moyer) and DC/PC at the 5;

Lineup 2: Mullins (Howard); Battle at SG (Mali); Mali at SF (Lydon); Roberson at PF (Moyer or Lydon) and DC/PC sharing center;

"As always my basic rule is: if JB wants a kid, I want him to get him."

That statement has no 'implications' about what 'we know.' It does imply, however, that you 'wanted' Buss, BJ, KJ, Obokoh, et al. If that's true, fine. Own that. Nothing at all wrong with it. None of us knew how those signings were going to pan out.

And my reply does imply that, even if he does know more than we know, he still makes choices that can be considered to have been 'mistakes.'

The implication is that he knows more about the recruits than we do, so I'm not going to say that he shouldn't want that kid but instead he should want some other kid, or hope the kid turns him down so her'll go after someone I know to be better.

Nowhere did I say that all his judgments are accurate, just that they are better informed than ours so I will bow to his judgement. When I hear that JB went to see Dembele play and "immediately offered him a scholarship", as was reported in the news, then I hope Dembele decides to accept the offer. I haven't seen him play and even if I had, my opinion as to Dembele's value would obviously not be as important as JB's. I wouldn't say "Oh, JB's making another one of his mistakes."

Thus my statement is all about what we know at this point in times vs.what JB knows. If Dembele has a Chino-like career, I might then conclude that JB had made another one of his mistakes, but I have no basis for concluding that now..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom