Reality check...U-Con has put in place a better system | Syracusefan.com

Reality check...U-Con has put in place a better system

retro44

Living Legend
to peak in March/April than has Syracuse which seems to peak in November.

Plus I have never been impressed with the S&C team here as we seem to have the same types of injuries way too often.

By running a very short bench year after years wears these kids down more than ever now as other teams looked to be better conditioned and most other coaching staffs run a deeper bench.

The homer fans here need to take off their oranges glasses and look at the whole season and not just what happens early on.

Last edited:
Great players can lead you to great places. We are lucky to get 1 let alone 2-3 like 2003 on one team.

Lets start carmelo anthony, lebron james, chris paul, kevin durant, dwight howard and play them 34 minutes a game, then we can complain about a deep bench.

CorduroyG said:
Hate to say it but I'm ready for JB to retire. We're known for the zone and being "long and athletic". I'd rather be known for final 4s and national championships.

I wouldn't want jab to go, I just want him to make adjustments on the offensive end.

I wouldn't want jab to go, I just want him to make adjustments on the offensive end.

Got to admit that would be more fun, but its wishfull thinking in college basketball for all your starters to be ready, let alone all your second team. Especially when you have 2 guys graduating and 2 guys jumping to the nba every year on top of that.

Plus I have never been impressed with the S&C team here as we seem to have the types of injuries way too often.

By running a very short bench year after years wears these kids down more than ever now as other teams looked to be better conditioned and most other coaching staffs run a deeper bench.

The homer fans here need to take off their oranges glasses and look at the whole season and not just what happens early on.
This dead-horse has been beaten.

But we also know it isn't changing as long as JB is coach.

Next year may be his most challenging as a coach in his 38+ years. He has no choice but to develop his bench and play inexperienced players. I hope he stays upbeat because his stubborn ways won't work well with such a young team.

I would take an aggressive man to man in your face defense over the type of zone Boeheim plays which is like watching these kids run marathons. He got them running all over the place in his zone.

Other high level coaching staffs have figured this out that the zone does wear on the kids which makes offensive shooting percentages suffer in the end when he plays a very short bench. That is why so many teams with the help of Syracuse has slowed the games tempos to the point of almost being in dead last for the country.

But most teams will have shot the first open 3 pointer in most games as Syracuse was close to last in defending the 3 point shot in the ACC

The probability of Boeheim changing is lower than Calhoun being the next head coach at SU.

(I would rather see Calhoun as the coach than JB's adjustments.)

This dead-horse has been beaten.

But we also know it isn't changing as long as JB is coach.

Next year may be his most challenging as a coach in his 38+ years. He has no choice but to develop his bench and play inexperienced players. I hope he stays upbeat because his stubborn ways won't work well with such a young team.

One thing I have to say about Boeheim, he's done some of his best coaching when he's had inexperienced or not exceptionally talented teams.

And, just to give myself a two-fer, yes the Wisconsin offense is looking pretty good.
It usually does.

Plus I have never been impressed with the S&C team here as we seem to have the types of injuries way too often.

If only you could apply this logic to your politics. I know that will never happen.

I get where you are coming from, but when I bet on the ponies I look at the trends.
Fair enough. I will say though, part of my optimism for next season is because I think we'll see the return of a fast paced offense coupled with the zone. I don't think the slow offense/zone combo is a good one.

Fair enough. I will say though, part of my optimism for next season is because I think we'll see the return of a fast paced offense coupled with the zone. I don't think the slow offense/zone combo is a good one.

It's an awful one. Couldn't be worse. Neutralizes your athleticism. As I've said, ask any overmatched team (athletically) what they'd rather play against- man to man, or zone? Zone everytime. Now, if your zone is very active and forcing turnovers leading to high tempo offense, that tune may be different. But we saw the negatives very often the last month and it was cringeworthy.

I am with you all the way on this!

and for Tyler's sake I hope he can adjust to the NBA 24 second shot clock.

The zone wasn't spectacularly great this year, but it was pretty good.

The offense was the problem, and as mentioned before, the ability to make the ball go into the basket was well below average.

I think the offense would have worked well if we had guys who could make open shots at a better average percentage. We got many open shots, and we missed many open shots. Not saying we never took a poor shot, but more often than not we worked for an open shot and missed it, or had a decent drive to the hoop that misfired.

I really don't think Ennis was incapable of running a more aggressive offense. I think for some reason JB chose to rein him in. I'm sure he had reasonable reason for it, I just can't figure out what or why.

the mighty huskies of house Storrs.
upload_2014-4-5_22-46-55.jpeg

Crappy conference or not, they are king until proven otherwise and continue to be the premier program of the NE of the past 20 years even as we ventured into the "best basketball conference of all time the universe has ever seen."

I don't know what else SU and Dr. Gross can do - they have the best arena, largest national fanbase, second-to-none practice facility, decent football program in a power football conference.

There must be something ...

It helps to have someone that can shoot a jumpshot off the dribble it really helps to have 2.
When fair was off it he was really off. ennis some nights he would take a few some he wouldn't. Against dayton neither made even 1. No jumpshot off the dribble = your going to lose.

Oh look, another one of those threads.

Boeheim
Hop
Ennis
Grant
Fair
Cooney
Keita

Did I miss anyone?