Reality check...U-Con has put in place a better system | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Reality check...U-Con has put in place a better system

Briancuse said:
It is because their guys stay longer, you can't have a great team if guys keep bolting out the door after a year or two

Hasn't worked for Kentucky.

Briancuse said:
Because they are focused on college and realize that the nba will always be there for them.

Incorrect. Their players have no draft stock after 1-2 years.

Incorrect. Their players have no draft stock after 1-2 years.

On the broadcast tonight Nantz said Napiers mom told him he is going to graduate. I wouldn't say that they have no draft stock.

On the broadcast tonight Nantz said Napiers mom told him he is going to graduate. I wouldn't say that they have no draft stock.

Ennis is a freshman. It's obvious the cns thinks highly of him. Napier had zero NBA interest as a frosh or as a soph or even a junior. Boatright ha never had interest. Not like Ennis not like Grant. That's why they stayed, they had no choice. Our guys do.

Ennis is a freshman. It's obvious the cns thinks highly of him. Napier had zero NBA interest as a frosh or as a soph or even a junior. Boatright ha never had interest. Not like Ennis not like Grant. That's why they stayed, they had no choice. Our guys do.

What is the cns? I am sure if Napier came out after his soph year he would have been a first round pick. Its not like Ennis and Grant are lock top ten picks.

Briancuse said:
What is the cns? I am sure if Napier came out after his soph year he would have been a first round pick. Its not like Ennis and Grant are lock top ten picks.

Cns is my dumb phone correcting nba. And no, the NBA had no interest in Napier. He's a senior now and Ennis will still probably get picked before him. He didn't have options but to stay in school. Not had to understand.

Cns is my dumb phone correcting nba. And no, the NBA had no interest in Napier. He's a senior now and Ennis will still probably get picked before him. He didn't have options but to stay in school. Not had to understand.

They might get picked before napier, but we aren't talking about Ennis as a lock lottery pick, his hof coach thinks he would be best served to come back to school for another year. Ennis has other options as well, the nba isn't going to fold next year.

retro44 said:
to peak in March/April than has Syracuse which seems to peak in November.

Plus I have never been impressed with the S&C team here as we seem to have the types of injuries way too often.

By running a very short bench year after years wears these kids down more than ever now as other teams looked to be better conditioned and most other coaching staffs run a deeper bench.

The homer fans here need to take off their oranges glasses and look at the whole season and not just what happens early on.

You do recall us making the Final 4 just last year don't you?!

They might get picked before napier, but we aren't talking about Ennis as a lock lottery pick, his hof coach thinks he would be best served to come back to school for another year. Ennis has other options as well, the nba isn't going to fold next year.

You know, my initial response was about why our guys are leaving and the UConn guys stayed in school. You're now talking about everything else.

Quazzum69 said:
the mighty huskies of house Storrs.

Crappy conference or not, they are king until proven otherwise and continue to be the premier program of the NE of the past 20 years even as we ventured into the "best basketball conference of all time the universe has ever seen."

I don't know what else SU and Dr. Gross can do - they have the best arena, largest national fanbase, second-to-none practice facility, decent football program in a power football conference.

There must be something ...

Quaz - you're living in an orange tinged fantasy land. You continue to post like we are THE ELITE program in the nation and no one else has the fan base or facilities we do. We are not. We are a near elite program, in the top 10 nationwide but not at the level of Kentucky, Duke, North Carolina and Kansas. And we're battling with the other programs such as Louisville among the near elites and they have great facilities and a great fan base. We just made a Final 4 last year. We made a great run and now UConn has made a great run. Kudos to them. But just because they have done well this year is no reason to continue to denigrate our program. But I'm sure that won't stop you.

when you say Ennis will "probably" get picked before Napier, are you hedging on that? Do you think Tyler could fall out of the top 20 in the draft?

Things are getting a bit testy around here.

It's frustrating that an old rival we thought we'd left behind in the land of irrelevancy is having the success we've hoped for but you've got to give them credit for the way they've played. They make shots and have played better defense than we did this year. They've certainly earned their success. Maybe we can earn it next year.

Maybe a calming musical interlude is what we need.

Yes this is the spring of our discontent. Made worse by the suddenness of our flameout and it's completeness: Ennis, Grant and the reality that Cooney is our go to guy for next year. And the worst of all possible finals. Long angry summer ahead, thinking about how thin we are, the unfinished skill sets of the players, the fact that we are simply not built for this event. We don't have guys who can put the ball in the basket. Or take over games. Or enough guys. My kingdom for Whitehead rental. Maybe Joseph is the new Flynn and in a year later Mali is lights out and Lydon can develop into one of these Wiscy type guys who stretches defenses? Lot to hope for and long time to be patient. We are not good with patience. We r fans.

It is because their guys stay longer, you can't have a great team if guys keep bolting out the door after a year or two

I've seen a lot of posters claim this and I'm not sure I understand it. UConn has had more players leave early for the NBA in the past 10-15 years than we have.

Bayside, They're bringing in a nice class next year.

There's a reason why we joined the ACC; to separate ourselves from UConn.
Not Sure if serious.jpg

retro44 said:
to peak in March/April than has Syracuse which seems to peak in November. Plus I have never been impressed with the S&C team here as we seem to have the types of injuries way too often. By running a very short bench year after years wears these kids down more than ever now as other teams looked to be better conditioned and most other coaching staffs run a deeper bench. The homer fans here need to take off their oranges glasses and look at the whole season and not just what happens early on.

The evidence is in...and it is not in favor of 7 man rotations, full-game zone defenses, and punitive subbing for mistakes early in seasons at the expense of confidence and player development. It's just not.

I'd add punitive subbing for "mistakes" within the zone defense that are the fault of the defensive scheme (guess what, other coaches are smart too and can overload the zone and make it impossible for your guy to cover two)...this has had a severe, negative effect on player development if you've watched closely lately. Almost as if the players are like "I'd have been there if he was my guy"

Finally, this is not the NBA...player development means getting players to buy in and play with confidence, even if they're not a first round draft pick...knocking guys in post-game interviews doesn't seem like the way to do is...

The zone is now counter-productive...other teams now have 3-5 guys out there that can shoot, and gets is into rotations where we lack shooters but are "long-enough" to play zone, and also gives false comfort that the same guys can play 40 mins for an entire season...

This is considering multiple seasons, including the last two successful ones...

Quazzum69 said:
Brad Stevens left for the NBA! Had he stayed, Butler would still be a power. If Marshall stays at WSU, they will be good. UMass and Memphis would be awesome if Calipari was still there. Xavier would be great if Sean Miller stayed. Army would be great if Coach K stayed. UConn is unique in that it is sort of a destination job, especially for Ollie, not a stepping stone like Xavier or Umass. He will have a title/final four and unparalleled success to lure players. Being likable doesn't hurt, either. What if they upgrade facilities or get into a power conference? What if things realign in 15 years and Syracuse is left out?

UConn is in the process of building a basketball practice facility that's larger than SU's facility.

UConn is in the process of building a basketball practice facility that's larger than SU's facility.
Well, they will need it to compete. Over time, Ollie will find it more and more difficult to draw top talent. Impossible? No. Just much more difficult. And as for football...

orange79 said:
Well, they will need it to compete. Over time, Ollie will find it more and more difficult to draw top talent. Impossible? No. Just much more difficult. And as for football...

Agree. They'll have to work harder. But I have the feeling they land in a major conference before long.

Agree. They'll have to work harder. But I have the feeling they land in a major conference before long.

big 10 or big 12 because acc isn't adding them anytime soon

I hate that UConn made a run but it happens especially when you don't lose anyone early to nba

Chris02M said:
big 10 or big 12 because acc isn't adding them anytime soon

If it's the B1G, they win the battle for the Northeast with UConn, Rutgers, Penn State and Maryland. But that's another issue.