Reason #1 I am now happy to leave the Big East: ECU's application | Syracusefan.com

Reason #1 I am now happy to leave the Big East: ECU's application

SaltineWarrior

Scout Team
Don't get me wrong, I think they are a fine program. But they don't belong in the Big East (or at least my idea of what the Big East should be). Neither do Memphis, UCF, Kansas, Kansas State, Baylor and yes even TCU.

On the flip side, it sounds like the dopes in Providence are actually considering Navy, Army and even Temple (although Air Force has been mentioned a lot too, something else that does not make sense). I thought the only hybrid that would work was to take just the football schools and add one pair of teams for NYC (St. Johns and Army), one pair in Philly (Nova and Temple) and one in the DC area (GU and Navy). The three additions play football only (lax also for Army and navy) while the regulars play all the other sports in the league. Sorry but PC, SHU, Marquette and DePaul just don't fit.

If the Big East actually had a plan to try and get the core eastern football teams together (SU, Pitt, WVU, RU, Army, Navy, UConn and at least make a run at teams like BC and PSU), I'm sure SU would have been working on a solution within the league. But ECU? Come on guys. At least in the ACC, SU can once again play Maryland and VT too, teams who we used to play on a regular basis in addition to BC and Pitt. Perhaps WVU/UConn/RU will join that mix? PSU would be a dream and won't happen unless they believe some crazy numbers from the ACC offices.

Like Boeheim, I will miss the Big East for what it was. But it is pretty clear the people in charge really don't know what they are doing.

I dont see why schools are applying, i have no idea how the BE will keep its AQ status

I dont see why schools are applying, i have no idea how the BE will keep its AQ status

I don't think Pitt and Syracuse leaving will cost the Big East it's BCS bid - between the two schools we've won a whopping one Big East Championship since 2003. The Big East will keep it's auto-bid until/unless it loses a few more teams.

I also think that at some point the expansion of the conferences is going to stop being driven by TV markets and start being driven by concerns that leaving historically prominent programs out will be an invitation for Congress to get involved. I can't see any way that West Virginia and Kansas (as the two that seem to be caught in limbo at the moment) won't find a seat when the music stops. One of the conferences is going to get stuck with schools that are a poor fit out of political necessity.

I don't think Pitt and Syracuse leaving will cost the Big East it's BCS bid - between the two schools we've won a whopping one Big East Championship since 2003. The Big East will keep it's auto-bid until/unless it loses a few more teams.

I also think that at some point the expansion of the conferences is going to stop being driven by TV markets and start being driven by concerns that leaving historically prominent programs out will be an invitation for Congress to get involved. I can't see any way that West Virginia and Kansas (as the two that seem to be caught in limbo at the moment) won't find a seat when the music stops. One of the conferences is going to get stuck with schools that are a poor fit out of political necessity.

It'll cost them their bid if they only have 7 teams

Don't get me wrong, I think they are a fine program. But they don't belong in the Big East (or at least my idea of what the Big East should be). Neither do Memphis, UCF, Kansas, Kansas State, Baylor and yes even TCU.

On the flip side, it sounds like the dopes in Providence are actually considering Navy, Army and even Temple (although Air Force has been mentioned a lot too, something that does not make sense). I though the only hybrid that would work was to take just the football schools and add one pair of teams for NYC (St. Johns and Army), one pain in Philly (Nova and Temple) and one in the DC area (GU and Navy). The three additions play football only (lax also for Army and navy) while the regulars play all the other sports in the league. Sorry but PC, SHU, Marquette and DePaul just don't fit.

If the Big East actually had a plan to try and get the core eastern football teams together (SU, Pitt, WVU, RU, Army, Navy, UConn and at least make a run at teams like BC and PSU), I'm sure SU would have been working on a solution within the league. But ECU? Come on guys. At least in the ACC, SU can once again play Maryland and VT too, teams who we used to play on a regular basis in addition to BC and Pitt. Perhaps WVU/UConn/RU will join that mix? PSU would be a dream and won't happen unless they believe some crazy numbers from the ACC offices.

Like Boeheim, I will miss the Big East for what it was. But it is pretty clear the people in charge really don't know what they are doing.

According to that guy on the Pitt board, the invitation to Villanova for football membership opened the rift between Pitt and The Mafia, and then, based on JB's comments, ND drove the wedge in permanently by voting down the TV package. The BE has no one to blame but the BE and the tag-a-long ND chumps.

Thank Heavens we are leaving this mess. I wish the BBall only schools would say "F this" and break away. Put an end to the fiasco that is BE football.

They are just dogged in their pursuit of BE spot. The fan support is awesome, why not for BE?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom