Reasons for optimism | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Reasons for optimism

Biggest problem is that the margin for error, or losses, is becoming razor thin. It will be exceptionally hard to make the ncaa tournament if we lose any more out of confrence games. We need to win out, which means we will likely need to beat #16 Illinois. The ACC is incredibly weak this year. Games againts FSU, BC, Louisville & Pitt (6 in total) will not help us at all even if we sweep as all of those teams are god awful and will not help our SOS at all. We will likely have to beat a few ranked teams to sneak in. Given all of these factors id put our odds at making the NCAAs slim at best

In many ways, this will be an easy season to watch. Even an NIT bid and likely .500+ season aren't realistically within reach so there are no expectations.

Biggest problem is that the margin for error, or losses, is becoming razor thin. It will be exceptionally hard to make the ncaa tournament if we lose any more out of confrence games.
NIT tournament, MAYBE. After going 3-2 and getting crushed by Colgate I don't know how anyone can believe that SU has realistic tournament aspirations.

NIT tournament, MAYBE. After going 3-2 and getting crushed by Colgate I don't know how anyone can believe that SU has realistic tournament aspirations.
High ceiling/room for a growth and basically a brand new team learning together gaining confidence. The improvement is evident and will continue to improve. I think it's unfair pessimism to think the guys don't have a chance to be a lot better than last year.

Last edited:
High ceiling/room for a growth and basically a brand new team learning together and gain confidence. The improvement is evident and will continue to improve. I think it's unfair pessimism to think the guys don't have a chance to be a lot better than last year.
I’m excited about the new guys. I sincerely hope they stay together as a unit. I’m not confident though in JB being able to accomplish this.

High ceiling/room for a growth and basically a brand new team learning together gaining confidence. The improvement is evident and will continue to improve. I think it's unfair pessimism to think the guys don't have a chance to be a lot better than last year.
We should be 5-0 or 4-1 at this point. There is now a good chance that we go into the "easy" Oakland/Georgetown/Monmouth stretch at 4-4 and we have proven that Georgetown isn't a gimme. I see the improvement but we keep digging ourselves into a hole at the beginning of the season.

I'm cautiously optimistic about this team as well.

The Colgate game was an abomination, but I think that's mostly due to one of JB's worst coaching jobs of his career as opposed to our players.

The general script for a Syracuse basketball season is as follows: go undefeated (or maybe 1 loss) before the New Year, go on a February swoon where we lose like 5 of 7, and then things come back together in March. It's relatively rare in JB's history for a team to start poor, but then improve as the season progresses. I think this has the potential to be that type of season.

I think the biggest key to success is Judah being more a facilitator as opposed to thinking he has to do everything himself. He's very talented but a bit of a ballhog at times. If he can consistently master blowing by his man, drawing a double team, and then dishing to a big to an easy bucket, we can be successful.

I know tendency on this board after a loss is for the sky is falling crowd to dominate, but I fully expected this team to take a few tough L's to start the season as they come together and learn to play as a team.

There were a lot of positives to take away from last night's game. Among them:

-Backup Center position appears to be an upgrade from last year. Hima has the ability to block shots and be an intimidating force in the middle. Loved how well he rebounded yesterday too. As Jesse will always find himself in some level of foul trouble at points this year, it's nice knowing this kid can ball. Reminds me a little of Keita but with better hands. He will net us a win or two that would have been losses last year over the course of the year.

-Rebounding from the front court showed incredible improvement over the Richmond game. The athleticism and effort there was leaps and bounds better, JB calling them out had it's desired effect, that kept in the game.

-We had a chance to win this game in regulation, and some unexpected missed FTs and bunnies in regulation were the difference. I have confidence as the team gets more experience that those shots are more likely to fall than not.

-Benny's shooting is vastly improving. His mid range jumper is money, and if he can provide that kind of energy/rebounding and an occasional three ball, we'll be better than last year.

-Jesse is slowly getting his sea legs back and the team is looking for him more. Benny's pass to him over traffic last night was a thing of beauty.

-Judah is a star...hands down the most talented guard we've had in years, he has swagger and is improving every game. If we manage to make the tourney, he will carry us. Can't wait to see him evolve.

Overall, I think we will finish Top 5 in the ACC this year as it comes together. We have to lick our wounds and continue to improve, but this team will be dangerous once we figure it out. And I believe we will.
I like the team, and I think there’s plenty of room for growth. We have some nice pieces. That being said, I’ve become jaded by the roster management and overall coaching from JB. I fear we’ll spend the majority of the season yelling at clouds and wondering why (fill-in-the-blank) isn't getting minutes, while
(insert-usual-suspect) is getting all the PT.
The lack of adjustments, stubbornness, and unwillingness to change is not encouraging. But…I’m hoping. JMHO

I must be watching a different team. I see a defense which is ripe for picking by any decent ACC squad. Contrary to JB’s opinion I don’t think Colgate will be the best zone offense we will play this year with UVA and Notre Dame and Miami on the schedule… all those teams know how to pick apart the zone.

I see an offense which will struggle to score. St John’s just created the template for taking JG3 out of the game. At some point teams will sag on Mintz and dare him to drive into a congested paint. He’s good enough to get some points that way, but it will be very inefficient and he will be so deep that the other team will get easy run outs in misses and turn overs.

If the team to have a shot at .500 they need to protect their board on D, create turn overs and run on anything. If they get into half court sets the offense needs to run through Jesse. Unfortunately their team “leader” is not suited for this type of game so I see a lot of rock fights in our future. I’m surprised at Torrence pounding the ball vs passing and going up tempo.

This team has potential but requires JB to reimagine how they play… they should play more like St John’s plays, but I don’t see that happening.
Yin to OP's Yang -reality probably somewhere in the middle.
I did like the fight shown in the first half last night-
I can get behind and enjoy a feisty team that plays hard, even when W's aren't there (yet).

Yin to OP's Yang -reality probably somewhere in the middle.
I did like the fight shown in the first half last night-
I can get behind and enjoy a feisty team that plays hard, even when W's aren't there (yet).
No doubt this has the potential to be a really fun team. But if JB goes to a 5.5 man rotation, tries to scratch out every win and starts going after players in public…. as has happened basically every year since we were ranked #1, this will turn into a grind that no one wants to watch.

We are definitely in a hole, but it's not insurmountable. In 2018-19 we had a miserable start to the year dropping two at MSG, losing to Old Dominion I think and a couple other bad losses. But we caught our stride and made the tourney. I just think the jury is still out on this team.

We are definitely in a hole, but it's not insurmountable. In 2018-19 we had a miserable start to the year dropping two at MSG, losing to Old Dominion I think and a couple other bad losses. But we caught our stride and made the tourney. I just think the jury is still out on this team.

Is it? Does anyone think this is more than a bubble team at best?

We're right where I thought we'd be, honestly.

Playing zone? Yep. JGIII trying to do too much with too high of usage? Yep. Limited rotation again? Yep.

Is it? Does anyone think this is more than a bubble team at best?

We're right where I thought we'd be, honestly.

Playing zone? Yep. JGIII trying to do too much with too high of usage? Yep. Limited rotation again? Yep.
That team wasn’t very good, but Battle legit took the ball and forced wins out of games we shouldn’t have won. Joe is no Battle.

Howard was pretty good that year, Brissett and Marek were freshman, not sure if any of our non Mintz freshman or Benny are as good as them.

That team wasn’t very good, but Battle legit took the ball and forced wins out of games we shouldn’t have won. Joe is no Battle.

Howard was pretty good that year, Brissett and Marek were freshman, not sure if any of our non Mintz freshman or Benny are as good as them.
Wrong season. You’re thinking 17-18. We actually did pretty well in the OOC that year. It was conference play that killed us.

Wrong season. You’re thinking 17-18. We actually did pretty well in the OOC that year. It was conference play that killed us.
Even worse then. Meaning, those guys we knew could play and capable of turning it around.

Reasons for optimism​

father-time.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom