Reasons for optimism | Syracusefan.com

Reasons for optimism

Ragman2000

Pee-Trough Advocate
I know tendency on this board after a loss is for the sky is falling crowd to dominate, but I fully expected this team to take a few tough L's to start the season as they come together and learn to play as a team.

There were a lot of positives to take away from last night's game. Among them:

-Backup Center position appears to be an upgrade from last year. Hima has the ability to block shots and be an intimidating force in the middle. Loved how well he rebounded yesterday too. As Jesse will always find himself in some level of foul trouble at points this year, it's nice knowing this kid can ball. Reminds me a little of Keita but with better hands. He will net us a win or two that would have been losses last year over the course of the year.

-Rebounding from the front court showed incredible improvement over the Richmond game. The athleticism and effort there was leaps and bounds better, JB calling them out had it's desired effect, that kept in the game.

-We had a chance to win this game in regulation, and some unexpected missed FTs and bunnies in regulation were the difference. I have confidence as the team gets more experience that those shots are more likely to fall than not.

-Benny's shooting is vastly improving. His mid range jumper is money, and if he can provide that kind of energy/rebounding and an occasional three ball, we'll be better than last year.

-Jesse is slowly getting his sea legs back and the team is looking for him more. Benny's pass to him over traffic last night was a thing of beauty.

-Judah is a star...hands down the most talented guard we've had in years, he has swagger and is improving every game. If we manage to make the tourney, he will carry us. Can't wait to see him evolve.

Overall, I think we will finish Top 5 in the ACC this year as it comes together. We have to lick our wounds and continue to improve, but this team will be dangerous once we figure it out. And I believe we will.

I know tendency on this board after a loss is for the sky is falling crowd to dominate, but I fully expected this team to take a few tough L's to start the season as they come together and learn to play as a team.

-Backup Center position appears to be an upgrade from last year. Hima has the ability to block shots and be an intimidating force in the middle. Loved how well he rebounded yesterday too. As Jesse will always find himself in some level of foul trouble at points this year, it's nice knowing this kid can ball. Reminds me a little of Keita but with better hands. He will net us a win or two that would have been losses last year over the course of the year.

-Rebounding from the front court showed incredible improvement over the Richmond game. The athleticism and effort there was leaps and bounds better, JB calling them out had it's desired effect, that kept in the game.

-We had a chance to win this game in regulation, and some unexpected missed FTs and bunnies in regulation were the difference. I have confidence as the team gets more experience that those shots are more likely to fall than not.

-Benny's shooting is vastly improving. His mid range jumper is money, and if he can provide that kind of energy/rebounding and an occasional three ball, we'll be better than last year.

-Jesse is slowly getting his sea legs back and the team is looking for him more. Benny's pass to him over traffic last night was a thing of beauty.

-Judah is a star...hands down the most talented guard we've had in years, he has swagger and is improving every game. If we manage to make the tourney, he will carry us. Can't wait to see him evolve.

Overall, I think we will finish Top 5 in the ACC this year as it comes together. We have to lick our wounds and continue to improve, but this team will be dangerous once we figure it out. And I believe we will.Chris

Bell had 0 rebounds? Some big buckets and good help D but he had no rebounds.

Bell had 0 rebounds? Some big buckets and good help D but he had no rebounds.
I'm not sure about that. I recall two that he got last night. I remember them because I thought, oh good, he just got a rebound, we don't really expect that from him.

I’m enjoying watching all of the young guys. If they all stay, we’ve got a squad to build around.

Now, about the coaching, I’m less optimistic.
I really struggle with this take, but ok. JB hasn't forgotten how to coach. Talent is improved over last year. History says that he'll have the ability to coach this team up to get the most out of them. We'll see

I really struggle with this take, but ok. JB hasn't forgotten how to coach. Talent is improved over last year. History says that he'll have the ability to coach this team up to get the most out of them. We'll see
Really? Thats fine. I’m not going to muck up the optimism thread anymore than i already have.

I'm not sure about that. I recall two that he got last night. I remember them because I thought, oh good, he just got a rebound, we don't really expect that from him.
Box score says 0. I actually was surprised by that too. Regardless, to say the front court boarding improved when one of them literally got 0 is disingenuous. Benny was great. Overall most of this game I did love the effort.

You didn't even mention the emergence of Chris Bell as a legitimate scoring threat.

Chris Bell isn't worth the time he's been getting. Have to avoid counting stats, especially just focusing on scoring.

Great point. Absolutely, and not just in the first half, he's hitting them in crunch time.
His shot making is so important and I could see the lights going on for him in the Richmond game. Now we have to get him to rebound! They need to do some serious rebounding drills with this kid. I think he’s probably still trying to figure out how to get rebounds playing in a zone where you don’t have a specific man to box out.

Overall, I think we will finish Top 5 in the ACC this year as it comes together. We have to lick our wounds and continue to improve, but this team will be dangerous once we figure it out. And I believe we will.

Judah, Jesse if he can ever stay on the court, Hima, potentially Benny if he stops shooting from a foot inside the three point line, Maliq.

That's where I'm landing.

Great post. Agree with all. Top 5 in the ACC might be the ceiling. It probably won’t be that high but could be.

With the make-up of this team? Yes, I'm not sure how you wouldn't be honestly. History says this is the kind of team JB will get the most out of. And the talent ceiling is high.
I’m looking forward to seeing these young kids play to see if they can scrape together a positive year. I’ll leave it at that.

Box score says 0. I actually was surprised by that too. Regardless, to say the front court boarding improved when one of them literally got 0 is disingenuous. Benny was great. Overall most of this game I did love the effort.
Yeah, I saw the box score. It was a head scratcher to me.

Chris Bell isn't worth the time he's been getting. Have to avoid counting stats, especially just focusing on scoring.
JB is obviously committed to him getting minutes. I'll take whatever encouraging signs we see from him.

Yeah, I saw the box score. It was a head scratcher to me.

JB is obviously committed to him getting minutes. I'll take whatever encouraging signs we see from him.

I get it. I think hes fine in moderated minutes.

He is nowhere close to being a net positive for us yet. Nowhere near it.

Had one positive BPM game vs lehigh, rest 0 or below...but hey, he makes shots.

I must be watching a different team. I see a defense which is ripe for picking by any decent ACC squad. Contrary to JB’s opinion I don’t think Colgate will be the best zone offense we will play this year with UVA and Notre Dame and Miami on the schedule… all those teams know how to pick apart the zone.

I see an offense which will struggle to score. St John’s just created the template for taking JG3 out of the game. At some point teams will sag on Mintz and dare him to drive into a congested paint. He’s good enough to get some points that way, but it will be very inefficient and he will be so deep that the other team will get easy run outs in misses and turn overs.

If the team to have a shot at .500 they need to protect their board on D, create turn overs and run on anything. If they get into half court sets the offense needs to run through Jesse. Unfortunately their team “leader” is not suited for this type of game so I see a lot of rock fights in our future. I’m surprised at Torrence pounding the ball vs passing and going up tempo.

This team has potential but requires JB to reimagine how they play… they should play more like St John’s plays, but I don’t see that happening.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom