Reasons why 17-18 season a success (already) | Syracusefan.com

Reasons why 17-18 season a success (already)

Henny & Coke

2nd String
IMO, this year's Orange is already a success & a job well done by JB and staff.

* Seasons results so far seem like team has overachieved, considering:

- SU was returning all of 17.1 PPG from last year (Battle 10.9, Howard 4.5, Chukwu 1.7);

- Recruiting class coming in wasn't exactly a Kentucky-like haul (filled with "plug & play" Freshmen);

- No Senior transfers to rely on.

All of above basically means JB was basically breaking in 4-5 new players (to lineup) - getting them acclimated to zone, inserting 2-3 new players right into starting lineup, etc.

* So, facing such a situation with 2017-18 team & seeing the quality of recruits coming in next year, I say real goal for this season was to lay foundation for 2018-19.

And results in that area seem encouraging, considering:

- Frank Howard looks vastly improved over his Soph year. Looks ready to become that steady hand at PG that can also be a big time scorer.

- Oshae Brissett has outperformed anyone's highest expectations. Easily. Guy is a baller, capable of taking over a game at any time with drives to hoop (and getting fouled).

When was last time we returned a guy averaging stats like 14.5 PPG and 8.8 RPG?

- Getting rest of team some valuable experience.

- Chukwu has been better than anticipated, and should continue to improve.

- Sidibe has been a revelation when on the court...who has shown glimpses of already being capable of being a difference maker (like 18 Pts, 16 Rebs at Pitt). If he can get healthy for next year, he's a valuable player.

- Dolezaj plays a game that I just love. Need guys who do things on court that he does. And the experience this year will help him be even better next year.

- And then there's the previously unimaginable...that there is a chance Tyus returns next season. Although a legit possibility, I will not allow myself to seriously entertain the idea. (But just imagine...drool...haha.)

* Add all this with fact that Elijah Hughes is sitting out & practicing entire year...waiting for his shot. Kid played decent ball his Freshman year when healthy (and not in that late season slump) - just check out his game log. No reason to think he won't step right in to create offense next year.

* And then add that recruiting class. The "star" player (Baz), another 4 star recruit who is a threat on offense (Carey), and the "shooter" (Buddy).

Just think how good our defense has been this year - and then if we only lose 1 guy, there should be no dropoff.

After TT left so late & unexpectedly, I knew that this year would be a struggle. Just no way around it - we lost a lot from prior year & didn't exactly have a ton of difference makers coming in. It would be a larger class of newbies, and a lot of teaching/learning/gaining experience. All leading up to a (hopefully magical) 2018-19.

Everything from here is gravy.

Totally agree with the OP. That said, I continue to worry about our national brand, as we see articles like this:

Bubble Watch: Syracuse can't quit life on the edge of the cut line

If this year weren't on the heels of several other non-tourney years, probation, and a aging 72 year old coach, I would totally argue it was a success given the many unpredicted factors. Hopefully, Bazley rejuvenates us like Carmelo did in '03, in terms of having a top flight player that draws attention and wins. I will be concerned that we are trending down though until we prove otherwise, and/or win an ACC Tourney game, finish top 4 in ACC, be safely in the tourney. Being the defacto made fun of bubble team, stinks. We have served our time.

All things considered, this year could have been an absolute trainwreck. This season could've been a sub-.500 record if one or two more events went the other way. We could also be ranked #10 in the country if 1 or 2 events went the other way. Hoping for the best this off-season, but there is a scenario where Battle/Brissett/Dolezaj/Chukwu all leave, and Sidibe is sidelined for at least 6 months.

I'm just hoping that all of these things are what they appear and aren't just that we have 3 guys putting up big numbers and developing bad habits because there are no other options.

Tyus ended up in an impossible situation this year. I have been hard on him in certain threads but I also understand that its just not possible to be an efficient scorer in the situation he is in. He has to be a volume guy because there just isn't anyone else that is going to be able to consistently carry the load. The only thing that bothered me for the majority of the year was that he was averaging about 2 boards and a single assist despite playing 40 mins and having the ball in his hands a ton. Seems that in the last 5 games or so that there has been a noticeable uptick. Whether he stays or goes seems like it should still be up in the air as he's going to be a borderline 1st rd guy at the very best, but if his mind is made up already then I guess that part doesn't matter. If he stays though, he's certainly going to have to adjust his game to accommodate more talented teammates. I would hope that this season as being the absolute alpha wouldn't compromise his ability to play with another alpha (Bazley) next year if he were to return. I can only dream of these guys all coming together next year and having an offense that I can enjoy without being hammered.

Frank and steady probably shouldn't ever be put in the same sentence but he was our only consistent shooter from deep for the majority of the season and has seemed to have gotten his A/TO ratio to a semi-respectable level. Not sure he'll ever be able to be a 2/1 type but compared to where he was last year and our expectations for this year, he has certainly exceeded my best case scenario for this year. Hopefully he has matured and will be able to be a leader despite a more talented guard coming in that might take the ball out of his hands more than he would like.

Oshae's rebounding has really been what I've loved from him. I wish he was a bit more steady of a shooter as he seems to be REALLY streaky but I love watching how hard he attacks the boards. I'm sure he would be and will be more efficient with more options around him and playing 30 mins a game instead of 38. He had to carry a much heavier load than could have possibly been expected of him.

Chukwu, Marek, Moyer, Sidibe should all be able to make solid contributions next year based off of the experience they gained during this mess of a season. Each of them has had several moments where they have succeeded when thrown into the fire and they will be better off for it in the long run. I really, really just hope that Sidibe can get healthy and this doesn't turn into a 4 year thing where we never get to see him unleashed. He certainly has the potential to be our best pure 5 since maybe Etan.

All in all, being on the bubble has to be about where everyone that wasn't living in another world was expecting. It was certainly a bumpy ride with some miserable moments and everyone disgruntled with another up and down year and some ugly basketball, but this year was always about next year and it still is.

I think a large part of why some fans are disappointed with this season, is that this team has been soooooooo clooooooossssse to being pretty damn good.
In spite of all its flaws.

Anybody with half a brain could see that coming into this season, we had a ridiculous amount of unknowns, and would likely struggle.

Then add in the TT and Geno defections - and it got a little more dicey.
Then add in injuries to pretty much EVERY player (I think maybe OSB is the only guy who hasn't been dinged up this year?), and our typical 7.5 guy short rotation became 5.5 guys there for a while, with Tyus, Frank, OSB, & <insert currently semi-healthy player here> playing 40 a game.

None of that is a recipe for success.

And yet... we've been in pretty much every game this year, sans Duke.
We coulda/woulda/shoulda beaten FSU, Wake, GaTech, ND, etc.

We still have a puncher's chance at an NCAA bid - that's more than a LOT of other teams can say right now.
(o hai Pitt, Uconn, GTown, etc. :p)
Which, given how this year has played out, is pretty miraculous.

With who we have coming in next year, and who is likely coming back, this run of bubbliciousness is likely to end, for good, and Cuse will be back in the Top 25 and vying for a protected seed in next year's NCAA tourney.

I know Buddy is a great shooter but he is so much more than that. He is a kid who really understands how to play, he seems like a great teammate and his game has expanded to putting the ball on th floor and getting to the rim. I’m excited to see the boy play here.

This is definitely my favorite team of our four year run of crummy teams. At least they play really hard and never give up.

With the exception of the end of the ND game where two of our players did give up at the absolute worst possible time, and that could literally be the difference between us making and not making the tournament.

(But overall I agree with your point)

If brissett returns i fully expect to be a top 15 team all year

Yep, he's the key. Expecting Tyus to jump, hoping OB doesn't do anything drastic. I love the thought of Chewy in the middle, a healthy Sid as the 4 and OB as the slashing 3. Awesome front line right there, with the guard spots rich in options too. If they can squeak into the tourney this year and win a game or 2 there, pass the gravy!

Anybody with half a brain could see that coming into this season, we had a ridiculous amount of unknowns, and would likely struggle.

Then add in the TT and Geno defections - and it got a little more dicey.
Big pre-season question marks followed by player losses and injuries leaving the Orange with close to a skeleton crew.
With all that they have a shot at the tourney.
That counts towards success.

But despite everything there are two landmarks that made this a successful season no matter how it concludes:

SYRACUSE 86 G-town 79

SYRACUSE 72 UConn 63.

I LOOOOOOAAAAAATHE G-town!

GO Orange!

This is definitely my favorite team of our four year run of crummy teams. At least they play really hard and never give up.

I actually liked last year's team. Thought they could have made some noise in the tourney with multiple guys who could get hot. Believe we got robbed of some tourney fun by the perplexing personnel management early.

It sounds like this season's success or failure hinges on next season's results.

I personally can't wait to start next season. Holding hands and proclaiming how not bad we are is something garbage schools do.
Bad schools dont consider 18-20 something win seasons bad seasons

Bad schools dont consider 18-20 something win seasons bad seasons

We played probably the weakest ACC schedule and played many games against short handed opponents.

We literally do not have one win that is impressive and still have yet to beat a ranked team.

Count your wins up though and pretend it's a success.

A lot of power schools sitting right in the same range, many worse than us without near the issues.

Great Season, no. Better than probably should have been expected, YUP. unless orange colored glasses cant see that just being 18-20 every year is not a god given right no matter who you are.

UL - 19
FSU - 19
SU - 18
ND - 17

Ok - 17
OKST - 17
Texas - 17

Ind - 16
Mary - 19
Wisc - 14

Stan - 16
UCLA - 19
UTAH - 18
Oregon - 19
Ariz st - 19
Wash - 19

Flo - 19
ala - 17
Tex AM- 18
Georgie - 16
LSU - 16
South Car - 15
Kent - 20

I personally can't wait to start next season. Holding hands and proclaiming how not bad we are is something garbage schools do.
True, the future looks bright, but I'd like to see this play out.

And as for the OP, for some the flip side is here, the season is already part of a Black Hole period. Just too many losses. And because of the Exclusionary Principle any run in the ACC or NCAAT cannot save it.

I'm just hoping that all of these things are what they appear and aren't just that we have 3 guys putting up big numbers and developing bad habits because there are no other options.

Tyus ended up in an impossible situation this year. I have been hard on him in certain threads but I also understand that its just not possible to be an efficient scorer in the situation he is in. He has to be a volume guy because there just isn't anyone else that is going to be able to consistently carry the load. The only thing that bothered me for the majority of the year was that he was averaging about 2 boards and a single assist despite playing 40 mins and having the ball in his hands a ton. Seems that in the last 5 games or so that there has been a noticeable uptick. Whether he stays or goes seems like it should still be up in the air as he's going to be a borderline 1st rd guy at the very best, but if his mind is made up already then I guess that part doesn't matter. If he stays though, he's certainly going to have to adjust his game to accommodate more talented teammates. I would hope that this season as being the absolute alpha wouldn't compromise his ability to play with another alpha (Bazley) next year if he were to return. I can only dream of these guys all coming together next year and having an offense that I can enjoy without being hammered.

Frank and steady probably shouldn't ever be put in the same sentence but he was our only consistent shooter from deep for the majority of the season and has seemed to have gotten his A/TO ratio to a semi-respectable level. Not sure he'll ever be able to be a 2/1 type but compared to where he was last year and our expectations for this year, he has certainly exceeded my best case scenario for this year. Hopefully he has matured and will be able to be a leader despite a more talented guard coming in that might take the ball out of his hands more than he would like.

Oshae's rebounding has really been what I've loved from him. I wish he was a bit more steady of a shooter as he seems to be REALLY streaky but I love watching how hard he attacks the boards. I'm sure he would be and will be more efficient with more options around him and playing 30 mins a game instead of 38. He had to carry a much heavier load than could have possibly been expected of him.

Chukwu, Marek, Moyer, Sidibe should all be able to make solid contributions next year based off of the experience they gained during this mess of a season. Each of them has had several moments where they have succeeded when thrown into the fire and they will be better off for it in the long run. I really, really just hope that Sidibe can get healthy and this doesn't turn into a 4 year thing where we never get to see him unleashed. He certainly has the potential to be our best pure 5 since maybe Etan.

All in all, being on the bubble has to be about where everyone that wasn't living in another world was expecting. It was certainly a bumpy ride with some miserable moments and everyone disgruntled with another up and down year and some ugly basketball, but this year was always about next year and it still is.

Well said.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom