Recruiting 2019-2021 | Page 12 | Syracusefan.com

Recruiting 2019-2021

I don't know if there is an exact science to recruiting. After all the decommits last year, the coaching staff might feel a bit gun shy about running out to secure commitments as fast as they can. I know its a different environment now with the rule changes (for the better I might add), but SU might be holding back to see how things play out. I don't really know if SU can compete against schools like the rest of the ACC and the Ivy's, but there are still a lot of really good players out there. And there are still a number of kids on the IL list from schools SU has a history with - a couple from Culver, one from IMG.

I found it interesting that Duke has only 2 commits so far, so I don't think its the worst thing in the world that they don't have a full class yet. Hopkins, UNC and Maryland always seem to rush out and sign up kids right away and their success has been mixed these last few years. Again, the new rules have changed things so your not talking about high school freshmen, but the mentality is the still the same. It's how you finish.

Last edited:
Geez, must we fans provide any bulletin board material. Just leave it up to the fickled JHU fanbase to bash their own. they beech about anything at every turn so take it with a grain of salt. Lets not forget jhu clobbering us 18-7 two seasons ago and being up four in 1st period this past year before we pulled away in fourth. Played the the toughest schedule then beat a good Maryland twice in a short span when odds were stacked against them making ncaas. Does Petro get any credit for rallying his troops? Epstein will be in running for Tewarrton and Williams output was higher than any mid on our team and his passing off doubles helped their late season resurgence. Their immediate area certainly isn't a draw but their strong academics, lax legacy and some nearby hotbeds are plusses though they compete for talent with Ivies who bend, other strong locals and every other good institution in the ACC and B10 . Its going to be a tough road game against them

Geez, must we fans provide any bulletin board material. Just leave it up to the fickled JHU fanbase to bash their own. they beech about anything at every turn so take it with a grain of salt. Lets not forget jhu clobbering us 18-7 two seasons ago and being up four in 1st period this past year before we pulled away in fourth. Played the the toughest schedule then beat a good Maryland twice in a short span when odds were stacked against them making ncaas. Does Petro get any credit for rallying his troops? Epstein will be in running for Tewarrton and Williams output was higher than any mid on our team and his passing off doubles helped their late season resurgence. Their immediate area certainly isn't a draw but their strong academics, lax legacy and some nearby hotbeds are plusses though they compete for talent with Ivies who bend, other strong locals and every other good institution in the ACC and B10 . Its going to be a tough road game against them

Hopkins has underachieved significantly, they have been to one final four since 2008 and have been embarrassed in the 1st round in multiple NCAA tournament games including last years and a few years they made the tournament because of the name on the jersey versus their record. I am normally in agreement with you but your off on this one big time. Also Williams played attack not midfield, their midfield production was horrific last year and unless Zinn is suddenly Dox Aiken is likely to be a major issue again.

Hopkins has underachieved significantly, they have been to one final four since 2008 and have been embarrassed in the 1st round in multiple NCAA tournament games including last years and a few years they made the tournament because of the name on the jersey versus their record. I am normally in agreement with you but your off on this one big time. Also Williams played attack not midfield, their midfield production was horrific last year and unless Zinn is suddenly Dox Aiken is likely to be a major issue again.
Always respect your takes, Good pt on ff absences. Do believe that Williams started to initiate from midfield and that opened up their offense down stretch. Perhaps a JHU fan can confirm that or not.

Not saying they totally suck and not even saying we have faired much better. Just saying that their continued success in early recruiting is surprising when the list of teams that are clearly outperforming them in recent years continues to grow. Petro deserves some credit for the MD wins but that was after 6 regular season losses. Yes their schedule is tough but not too different in toughness compared to our own. For Hopkins that has been closer to the norm for them in recent years. We have one bad year and it seems to lead to all these recruiting setbacks. Meanwhile Hopkins has 3 years recently that were as bad or even worse that ours and the top kids just keep coming as if Hopkins has continued to prove itself. Just frustrating to see as a Cuse fan. Reminds me of the feeling I get thinking of Louisville basketball bouncing back so quickly after their ncaa punishment

Hopkins get these “top” kids and the team struggles. So who cares if they go there then? That just means fewer top recruits are available for Duke, UVA and UNC.

Johns Hopkins will always be able to get top recruits regardless of how the team performs. The decision student athletes have is not based solely on the lacrosse program but also on education and economics. Hopkins is one of the top private universities in the country. It's not always about lacrosse.

Hopkins get these “top” kids and the team struggles. So who cares if they go there then? That just means fewer top recruits are available for Duke, UVA and UNC.

That is a good glass-half-full way of looking at things. It just would be nice if a few went our way instead, given our more successful track record of player development.

That is a good glass-half-full way of looking at things. It just would be nice if a few went our way instead, given our more successful track record of player development.
Good Doctah, I share in your frustration with recruiting and wonder why all the time. I think I just have a slightly better coping mechanism.

IMG_7603.jpg

Wonder what led to this, awfully late in the game to switch commitments. Seems strange that SU doesn't recruit Victor better. Trimboli is the only Victor recruit in recent memory I believe. Not saying that this recent flip is a big deal for SU (the attack position looks to be in good shape for the next few years), but I've long wondered why the Orange weren't more successful in the Rochester area. A lot of these kids are of course choosing to go local, so we can't blame the "wanting to get away excuse".

Wonder what led to this, awfully late in the game to switch commitments. Seems strange that SU doesn't recruit Victor better. Trimboli is the only Victor recruit in recent memory I believe. Not saying that this recent flip is a big deal for SU (the attack position looks to be in good shape for the next few years), but I've long wondered why the Orange weren't more successful in the Rochester area. A lot of these kids are of course choosing to go local, so we can't blame the "wanting to get away excuse".
Could be simple economics. If you piggy-back Albany's in-state tuition with a lacrosse partial scholarship you get a very attractive price point. Literally tens of thousands below Syracuse's. It is one of the biggest hurdles that SU lacrosse is facing.

but I've long wondered why the Orange weren't more successful in the Rochester area.

It has always seemed a little surprising to me that Syracuse doesn't have there thumb on Section V a little better. Basically, Section V seems like a wide open recruiting area. The Terps have gotten a number of good players from the area.
From afar, I sometimes wonder if perhaps, Syracuse treated the area with a little too much disdain as it was developing lacrosse-wise.

It has always seemed a little surprising to me that Syracuse doesn't have there thumb on Section V a little better. Basically, Section V seems like a wide open recruiting area. The Terps have gotten a number of good players from the area.
From afar, I sometimes wonder if perhaps, Syracuse treated the area with a little too much disdain as it was developing lacrosse-wise.

Disdain seems a little harsh but I understand your point. I'm not an expert and haven't done a lot of research but the Rochester area seems like it has been boom or bust over the years. Victor being a successful program is still a relatively new thing. A lot of good players have still come out of the area, but they hardly ever go to SU. Is it because other schools have a better relationship with kids and coaches up there? I still remember when Orange fans had a mini meltdown after Joe Walters scored six goals against Syracuse in a scrimmage his freshman year. Yet since then it doesn't seem like the coaches have recruiting that area heavily.

I just find the ebbs and flows recruiting really interesting - the SU teams of the early 2000s were almost entirely from New York. Now they have starters from Texas, Maryland and Oregon of all places. I think a lot of this has to do with SU's typical recruiting areas not producing as many top notch players as before, but even still they seem to draw kids from all over the state, but never so many as to create what we think of as a "pipeline". I guess the closest, surprisingly enough might be that they draw more than one from the Albany area. Anyways, just interesting to try and understand the strategy of where they try and focus on. Looking at the roster, it doesn't really seem like they consider hometown at all these days.

Tanner Burns '21, A, Jamesville-Dewitt (N.Y.) / Orange Crush
One college coach felt that Burns —who could feed, dodge and finish with poise and consistency— was the best player at the event, and that isn't a stretch. He looked comfortable creating offense from a variety of spots and could score in variety of ways, never forcing anything and always raising the play of his teammates. Frequently outsmarting his opponent and finding a way to get by them, Burns turned the corner hard but could also set up cutters with pinpoint feeds. While a lot of highly ranked attackmen have been gobbled up, the Section 3 product is undoubtedly one of the top options on the board and will make any program happy.

One college coach felt that Burns —who could feed, dodge and finish with poise and consistency— was the best player at the event, and that isn't a stretch. He looked comfortable creating offense from a variety of spots and could score in variety of ways, never forcing anything and always raising the play of his teammates. Frequently outsmarting his opponent and finding a way to get by them, Burns turned the corner hard but could also set up cutters with pinpoint feeds. While a lot of highly ranked attackmen have been gobbled up, the Section 3 product is undoubtedly one of the top options on the board and will make any program happy.

I am familiar with Burns but don't have any info on if SU is pursuing him or not.

Desko (and presumably staff) were at this event. FYI.