Recruiting 2019-2021 | Page 10 | Syracusefan.com

Recruiting 2019-2021

Kid's dad is a football coach at Salisbury. Assuming he meets certain prerequisites, that means he can attend Maryland at half-tuition cost (therefore only needing a .5 schollie to get what amounts to a full-ride).
If the kid qualifies for merit or any other scholarship, Maryland wouldn't have to use any of its 12.6 and the kid could still get a full ride.

If the kid qualifies for merit or any other scholarship, Maryland wouldn't have to use any of its 12.6 and the kid could still get a full ride.
Not necessarily. merit aid counts towards the 12.6 unless you have a 3.5 or 1280 SAT. That's one reason why grades matter in the recruiting process.

Duke, UNC, UVA with usual hauls

Not necessarily. merit aid counts towards the 12.6 unless you have a 3.5 or 1280 SAT. That's one reason why grades matter in the recruiting process.

Are you sure about that? Can you provide a source? Legitimately asking out of curiousity.

For example, Siena College's total cost is approx $58k. Let's say the program there is fully-funded so they can offer the full 12.6 schollies. The School offers merit aid to any incoming freshman with a grade average of 87 or higher (roughly translates to a 3.3) and an SAT of 1140 or higher. I would assume most incoming freshman who are accepted there, including lacrosse players, get some merit aid, since the average incoming SAT is an 1170, and the majority also have GPA's above 3.3.

The good old days...

V04i07lg.jpeg

V9i07_Recruitinglg.jpeg

Recruiting definitely has to pick back up again or we at least need to hold on to the guys who initially commit here.

Great recruiting class in 2018 (Dordevic, Curry, Fernandez, Phaup, Buttermore, Lipka, Murphy). The two upcoming ones look way less impressive, but the Scanlan transfer greatly reduces the pressure for this year, at least on the offensive/attack side of things. A good year this year, along with a new recruiter looking to prove himself, and I have some faith in a good 2021 class.

Are you sure about that? Can you provide a source? Legitimately asking out of curiousity.

For example, Siena College's total cost is approx $58k. Let's say the program there is fully-funded so they can offer the full 12.6 schollies. The School offers merit aid to any incoming freshman with a grade average of 87 or higher (roughly translates to a 3.3) and an SAT of 1140 or higher. I would assume most incoming freshman who are accepted there, including lacrosse players, get some merit aid, since the average incoming SAT is an 1170, and the majority also have GPA's above 3.3.
As I understand it, Per NCAA rules for D1 the merit aid given to any lax player will count against the 12.6 money of the coach, unless the lax player has a goal of 3.5 or SAT of 1280 and is in the top 10 percent of his class (schools can have higher requirements). This prevents school from disgusting athletic money as academic money. The D2 rules are 3.5, Top 20 percent and 1140 SAT I think.

Great recruiting class in 2018 (Dordevic, Curry, Fernandez, Phaup, Buttermore, Lipka, Murphy). The two upcoming ones look way less impressive, but the Scanlan transfer greatly reduces the pressure for this year, at least on the offensive/attack side of things. A good year this year, along with a new recruiter looking to prove himself, and I have some faith in a good 2021 class.

You mean 2017 but yes that was a good class. Still missing the elite of the elite players but Dordevic has that potential and Buttermore has been really good and needs more PT to be honest. Had we kept our original commits the 2020 class would have been a top 3 class with all that talent. Staff tried backfilling as best they could and guys like Erstwhistle and Erlbeck are great replacements but there is no denying the class took a massive hit offensively at least. All the D recruits have remained committed and that bodes well for the future I hope.

As I understand it, Per NCAA rules for D1 the merit aid given to any lax player will count against the 12.6 money of the coach, unless the lax player has a goal of 3.5 or SAT of 1280 and is in the top 10 percent of his class (schools can have higher requirements). This prevents school from disgusting athletic money as academic money. The D2 rules are 3.5, Top 20 percent and 1140 SAT I think.
This rule can put coaches and players in a difficult spot when it comes to merit aid, as the players merit aid counts against coaches schollie money for other players. Also, puts students in difficult spot when it comes to honors or AP classes.

As I was typing it, my thought was how do you prevent schools from setting an artificially low number in order to goose up the amount of applicants who qualify for "academic" aid?

Answer maybe: Schools really can't afford to as it could create either financial issues for the school, and could easily lead to claims of discrimination. But if enough "discretion" is built-in, this can be avoided. The automatic merit grants would be the problem.

The whole thing really needs a lot of thought in review. There are schools now that can offer need-based to practically everyone. There are public schools that have really low in-state tuition (I won't include the academies given the admission criteria and post-graduate service reqs). Unfortunately, Syracuse doesn't benefit from either of these things. They can probably admit, just about anyone they want, but given the sport is still mostly populated by suburban middle class (and up) kids who have to have decent grades to stay eligible for a spring sport, this is likely not a big advantage these days.

Interesting. This wasn't my understanding but I will have to do some due diligence. I know a player committed to a private NEC school. He got 40% and admissions offered another 40% in merit because his numbers were higher than the schools average very I don't think they were quite what you mention. I can't imagine the coach is giving the kid a .8 scholie but you never know.

Interesting. This wasn't my understanding but I will have to do some due diligence. I know a player committed to a private NEC school. He got 40% and admissions offered another 40% in merit because his numbers were higher than the schools average very I don't think they were quite what you mention. I can't imagine the coach is giving the kid a .8 scholie but you never know.
The coach isn't giving a .8 but it counts as such unless he meets the NCAA criteria.

The coach isn't giving a .8 but it counts as such unless he meets the NCAA criteria.
You take the cost of the school and multiply it by 12.6 which equals the coaches scholarship pot. Subtract from that pot the athletic scholarship and the merit aid for any student that doesn't meet NCAA requirements.

You take the cost of the school and multiply it by 12.6 which equals the coaches scholarship pot. Subtract from that pot the athletic scholarship and the merit aid for any student that doesn't meet NCAA requirements.

Excellent info to have.

Thank you for this information. I knew that it was possible to piggy-back merit and athletic scholarships, but I did not know the criteria needed for it to happen. Thanks again for the clarification.

I always wondered why the D3 programs were so much better teed up to provide academic aid than the D1 schools. This explains it. One of my sons played D3 lax and got more academic aid than any of his friends/fellow players in the region who went D1 received in athletic aid.

1569268679510.png

Looks like we offered one of the better attackmen in the 2021 class but he chose Army. Good to know we're out there making the effort.

View attachment 170398

Looks like we offered one of the better attackmen in the 2021 class but he chose Army. Good to know we're out there making the effort.

Don't be shocked if he eventually ends up somewhere else. Army/Navy lose a good amount of guys once they realize whats required for academy service and they start to hear the siren song of the elite D1 lax schools.