Recruiting 2020-2022 | Page 9 | Syracusefan.com

Recruiting 2020-2022

Looks like the Sweetlax account liked this tweet, FWIW. Might be a hint?

Tough to tell by that going forward. Volunteer assistant for Cuse was the Chief Logistics and Communications Officer for Sweetlax up until last year when they added him.

Rogers has posted several of these tweets recently and we’ve picked up some nice D end pieces ..wondering if this is related to McCool or if there is a big big BOOM coming - this was 8:30 last night ..

Attachments

• 23DBFD87-0473-4EF7-9BF4-BA299FDF501E.jpeg
    23DBFD87-0473-4EF7-9BF4-BA299FDF501E.jpeg
    512.9 KB · Views: 147
Rogers has posted several of these tweets recently and we’ve picked up some nice D end pieces ..wondering if this is related to McCool or if there is a big big BOOM coming - this was 8:30 last night ..

good catch...looks like the notification came around 930PM so probably was referring to this commit. However he also said it was "gonna be a great week."

Maybe more to come...

I'm a little surprised Utah is able to land top recruits. That program is in real financial trouble. Not to mention a bunch of their players transferred out this offseason. Just seems like a strange place to go at this point unless your dream is to play in the mountains and go skiing on off days. Which, to be fair, sounds lovely.

BTW—Cuse landed an IL three-star: Luke Rhoa from St. John's DC

Hearing it's likely down to UNC, Maryland, and Syracuse for Spallina.

SBU is clearly not a realistic option. He just threw that in there to make pops happy.

I don't think it's going to be Loyola. When's the last time they landed a top 5 recruit? Keep in mind no other top programs offered Pat Spencer. If they had, he probably would have wound up elsewhere. Scanlan was top 10, but of course he ended up elsewhere anyway.

Keep in mind I said weeks ago it wasn't going to be Duke. So with that said I would now be very surprised if it's Virginia after they got Sunderland and Terenzi, in addition to top FOGO and goalie. I don't see how they can have much money left for Spallina to make a competitive offer with those other three.

SBU is clearly not a realistic option. He just threw that in there to make pops happy.

I don't think it's going to be Loyola. When's the last time they landed a top 5 recruit? Keep in mind no other top programs offered Pat Spencer. If they had, he probably would have wound up elsewhere. Scanlan was top 10, but of course he ended up elsewhere anyway.

Keep in mind I said weeks ago it wasn't going to be Duke. So with that said I would now be very surprised if it's Virginia after they got Sunderland and Terenzi, in addition to top FOGO and goalie. I don't see how they can have much money left for Spallina to make a competitive offer with those other three.

Agree on UVA but crazier things can happen and perhaps finances aren't a huge burden. Also agree on SB and Loyola, I would be shocked if it was either of them. UNC and Maryland are to me the biggest concerns, I am not a fan of Tillman (ever since that stall ball B S ) and I get the feeling they are a major player as he continues to be a thorn in SU's side. UNC just continues to bring in these massive hauls which is a bit mystifying when you look at the results or really the lack there of under Breschi (save for one year of course) but the guy can freaking recruit clearly. No doubt this is a very difficult recruitment, you've got all the heavy hitters involved and coaches that will promise the world in Tiffany and Tillman.

the good news is UNC already landed a 5 Start Attackman so maybe that narrows the choices to Cuse and Marlyand for Spallina???

From what I can see, IL has listed 22 "5-Stars" in the 2022 class. At this point, half of them have committed.

Will Cuse land a 5-Star? Of the 11 remaining, there are 3 A, 2 M, 1 FO, 2 LSM, 3 D.

Whoops-- meant to post that on powellfan's post. Really was hoping March would go after Terenzi. Kid is an absolute animal.

Agreed very good player, UVA has always done a pretty good job in downstate NY and the western part of the state. Only really in Central NY have they struggled to bring in many recruits. I would also supect their not doing a ton of recruiting either in SU's backyard.

Last edited:
the good news is UNC already landed a 5 Start Attackman so maybe that narrows the choices to Cuse and Marlyand for Spallina???

I wouldn't read to much into that either way. I do think UVA getting their attack guy already does help.

At least ND has cooled down a bit.
With 10 commits already, they are only 1 commit away from the 11 that they've had in both the 2020 and 2021 classes. It could be that ND is nearly done already and will look to protect what they have and find 1-2 more along the way.

Absolutely no sense of a plan or a coherent recruiting strategy from ND/Corrigan apart from "just land as many 'big names' as possible, as quickly as possible." He's hardly seen any of these guys play in person and they haven't been able to officially visit or meet the staff but they're already about to pass 10 guys?? I wonder if they're taking this approach now because the "wait on recruits and try poaching everyone else's guys" strategy of the last few recruiting cycles hasn't worked out as well as they'd have hoped. When I look at ND I just get the sense that they don't really have a plan. Not that classes need to have a "theme" or anything like that but the group they have is such a hodgepodge of styles and personalities...only thing they have in common is Inside Lacrosse rated them all highly.

Absolutely no sense of a plan or a coherent recruiting strategy from ND/Corrigan apart from "just land as many 'big names' as possible, as quickly as possible." He's hardly seen any of these guys play in person and they haven't been able to officially visit or meet the staff but they're already about to pass 10 guys?? I wonder if they're taking this approach now because the "wait on recruits and try poaching everyone else's guys" strategy of the last few recruiting cycles hasn't worked out as well as they'd have hoped. When I look at ND I just get the sense that they don't really have a plan. Not that classes need to have a "theme" or anything like that but the group they have is such a hodgepodge of styles and personalities...only thing they have in common is Inside Lacrosse rated them all highly.
I understand what you are saying, and just 2 weeks into September it does seem odd to have so many recruits without being able to watch them in person or host them on campus. With that being said, all the D1 staffs have been watching tons of film and contacting club and HS coaches often. It may not be as good as usual, but they still have a solid understanding of this class. Unless you have some inside info on all these kids or the roster at Notre Dame, I'm not sure why the "hodgepodge of styles and personalities" wouldn't work well together.

When you look at their class, their FO guy is a reclassed '21, which means they've been in contact with him for awhile and may even have hosted him on campus before he reclassed. Their G may be the #2 at Culver, but he is highly respected and played very well at the NHSLS event this summer. On D, they have a 6'6 kid from MN who looks like he is still growing into his body and will only get better. A defenseman from CT that is 6'0 200+ with a good motor and moves well for a bigger guy. Physical and good off-ball. Their LSM is not a big name (only guy with no stars), but a solid athlete with a good stick. Out of the 5 offensive commits they have, 3 were heavily looked at by Cuse and highly regarded by IL (Behrman is a top 10 kid, Hopsicker and Busenkell were 2 of the top "4-star" guys). Another is a 6'3 midfielder who has been a top player for West Coast Starz. Their midfielder from FL is fast but probably needs to get thicker to play ACC lacrosse. Outside of Behrman (who is super talented), they are getting some big, athletic lacrosse players to compete in conference. I think Hopsicker and Behrman will work very well together, with Brock creating and Jeremy working off ball. I like their '22 class so far and think it will be better than both the '20 and '21 classes.

good catch...looks like the notification came around 930PM so probably was referring to this commit. However he also said it was "gonna be a great week."

Maybe more to come...

Don’t hold me to it , but it is being “suggested”
Something massive is about to drop for
The program...which says Dom or Spallina To me ..Or both ? I think a lot of these guys want a shot to be Duke killers with all the ONeill hype and the loaded Duke roster and we may just Spoil the party with one or Both - Hiltz, Scanlan and Spallina - deadly !!
511C2472-9CA1-412A-9DD8-2D6685A4D5F2.jpeg

Don’t hold me to it , but it is being “suggested”
Something massive is about to drop for
The program...which says Dom or Spallina To me ..Or both ? I think a lot of these guys want a shot to be Duke killers with all the ONeill hype and the loaded Duke roster and we may just Spoil the party with one or Both - Hiltz, Scanlan and Spallina - deadly !!View attachment 187907

Agreed, it really seems something massive is about to drop and to be honest the current class right now has been outstanding. At least 3 4 starts and the goalie looks like a clear 5 star by the time he is a Sr. I don't want to get to far ahead because obviously we haven't landed either yet and we all know about verbal commits and minds changing but really impressed so far with the class we are putting together.

It's probably not Dom, whom I've heard is looking hard at Penn State and Loyola. Ultimately I'd be surprised if he and Spallina end up on the same team.
It might, however, be Spallina.

Might also be Caponiti or Kempney, both could be plausible 5-star targets.

What a time to be alive.