Recruiting 2021-2023 | Page 13 | Syracusefan.com

Recruiting 2021-2023

Not a bad theory. Rutgers doesn't have a single '23 recruit yet and I don't see them being major contenders for many of the remaining 4 or 5 stars. Perhaps they land the other Kurdyla brother since they already have one. But none of the other top NJ talent seem all that interested in them despite the elite eight appearance in 2021.
Perfect example. Being number 1 in transfer portal pickups isn’t so great for the players already on your team trying to earn playing time.

Cant' recall the IVY collectively doing this well, definitely some different factors in play.

Because all the Seniors transferred last year and there's plenty of playing time available for all?

Not a bad theory. Rutgers doesn't have a single '23 recruit yet and I don't see them being major contenders for many of the remaining 4 or 5 stars. Perhaps they land the other Kurdyla brother since they already have one. But none of the other top NJ talent seem all that interested in them despite the elite eight appearance in 2021.

I think its a multiple set of factors/issues coming into play with the transfer portal certainly playing a role.

The IVY pretty much across the board has lost players who transferred, decommitted previously or decided to go in a different direction. I think this has helped open up additional roster spots and $$$ for aid that probably wouldn't have been there in a normal year. The IVY has always recruited decently but I can't recall a year like this where seemingly the entire league is recruiting at or near the upper echelon. Some of that has already slowed ie Brown and others but still its clear to me at least that there's definitely some additional juice/sense of urgency that hasn't been there previously.

I think players and there parents also realize there is backlog of talent at some of these schools and that they don't' necessarily believe some of these recruiting pitches when all American starters are only Sophomores and there is a 5 star coming in this fall at the same position. Duke and UVA and to a slightly lesser extent UNC fit this mold to a T. You can only bring in so many highly rated guys every year until someone actually reads a roster and says maybe I will go play and start at Princeton versus sitting for 3 years or moving to midfield at Duke or UVA.

You wonder if the NIL and the chance for exposure is helping those within the p5 ranks or at least those with a long history of lax play. SU has obviously had massive success so far this recruiting season while a team like Rutgers and a few others have struggled at least to date to land major players. Is that because certain teams have dabbled heavily in the portal, tough to say. Marylands off to a bit of a slow start for them but they usually hit the portal pretty hard and it hasn't been an issue, so I am not sure that argument holds at least for them. Could also be that were only 3 Weeks + in and some teams are taking a much more conservative approach and want a smaller class. Still fascinating to see the IVY and others start out hot while others coming off great season like Rutty and Loyola are struggling.

Last edited:
I think its a multiple set of factors/issues coming into play with the transfer portal certainly playing a role.

The IVY pretty much across the board has lost players who transferred, decommitted previously or decided to go in a different direction. I think this has helped open up additional roster spots and $$$ for aid that probably wouldn't have been there in a normal year. The IVY has always recruited decently but I can't recall a year like this where seemingly the entire league is recruiting at or near the upper echelon. Some of that has already slowed ie Brown and others but still its clear to me at least that there's definitely some additional juice/sense of urgency that hasn't been there previously.

I think players and there parents also realize there is backlog of talent at some of these schools and that they don't' necessarily believe some of these recruiting pitches when all American starters are only Sophomores and there is a 5 star coming in this fall at the same position. Duke and UVA and to a slightly lesser extent UNC fit this mold to a T. You can only bring in so many highly rated guys every year until someone actually reads a roster and says maybe I will go play and start at Princeton versus sitting for 3 years or moving to midfield at Duke or UVA.

You wonder if the NIL and the chance for exposure is helping those within the p5 ranks or at least those with a long history of lax play. SU has obviously had massive success so far this recruiting season while a team like Rutgers and a few others have struggled at least to date to land major players. Is that because certain teams have dabbled heavily in the portal, tough to say. Marylands off to a bit of a slow start for them but they usually hit the portal pretty hard and it hasn't been an issue, so I am not sure that argument holds at least for them. Could also be that were only 3 Weeks + in and some teams are taking a much more conservative approach and want a smaller class. Still fascinating to see the IVY and others start out hot while others coming off great season like Rutty and Loyola are struggling.

Good post Jeremy. I would just point out that there is still a lot of talent out there that could negate a lot of the conclusions we have right now. UVa could still land a few top 10 guys (I’d think they are in the mix for players like Millon, Christmas and Kabiri) and we are back to saying same old same old. If Syracuse doesn’t land a five star player, it would be nice to see them be spread around rather than all go to Usual suspects.

I wish we had more insight into this stuff. What do teams that are waiting on players like Millon do when he decides on somewhere else? Do their fall back plans want to go there if they know they aren’t the first choice? I have been wondering if Syracuse have targeted that next level down (the high end four stars) and that’s why they got so many early commits.

Good post Jeremy. I would just point out that there is still a lot of talent out there that could negate a lot of the conclusions we have right now. UVa could still land a few top 10 guys (I’d think they are in the mix for players like Millon, Christmas and Kabiri) and we are back to saying same old same old. If Syracuse doesn’t land a five star player, it would be nice to see them be spread around rather than all go to Usual suspects.

I wish we had more insight into this stuff. What do teams that are waiting on players like Millon do when he decides on somewhere else? Do their fall back plans want to go there if they know they aren’t the first choice? I have been wondering if Syracuse have targeted that next level down (the high end four stars) and that’s why they got so many early commits.
+1

Mr. and Mrs. Kelly...have you ever considered just watching TV or reading a book before going to bed? You have done more than enough baby making!
Maybe they do and should change what they are reading/watching.

Ya figured Duke was going to make a splash

Yeah, they had a “quiet” (for them at least) recruiting year last year and “only” brought in one five star I believe. They’ll have quiet the stable of middies in Delgado, Johnson, Jackson Gray and McAdory.