Recruiting 2021-2023 | Page 21 | Syracusefan.com

Recruiting 2021-2023

Only two cuse guys, but hey at least nobody chose Hopkins! I think this will be a good class to compliment the fire power in the class above. Often in the past we have had a great recruiting class followed by one the year after that is pretty mediocre. Not the case this year. Our biggest need for this one is a guy with the potential to be stud cover guy, and I think we have that in Donny Scott without question.

Five-Stars
1. McCabe Millon, A, McDonogh (Md.) | Team 91 MD - DUKE
2. Benn Johnston, M, Avon Old Farms (Conn.) | True IL - DUKE
3. Leo Hoffman, M, Brunswick (Conn.) | Team 91 LI Bandits - PENN
4. Mac Christmas, LSM, Georgetown Prep (Md.) | Madlax DC Dogs - DUKE
5. Owen Duffy, A, St. Anthony’s (N.Y.) | Team 91 LI Bandits - NORTH CAROLINA
6. Tomas Delgado, M, Brunswick (Conn.) | Prime Time - DUKE
7. Ty Banks, LSM/D, Western Reserve (Ohio) | West Coast Starz - GEORGETOWN
8. Kyle Lehman, A/M, Wissahickon (Pa.) | Freedom - PENN STATE
9. Nate Kabiri, A, Georgetown Prep (Md.) | Madlax DC Dogs - GEORGETOWN
10. Anderson Moore, G, Briarwood Christian (Ala.) | Thunder - GEORGETOWN
11. Tucker Wade, M, Bullis (Md.) | DC Express — PRINCETON
12. Ben Beacham, M, La Costa Canyon (Calif.) | Mad Dog, West Coast Starz - PENN
13. AJ Marsh, D, McDonogh (Md.) | Crabs - NAVY
14. Caleb Fyock, G, St. John’s (D.C.) | Annapolis Hawks, Crabs - OHIO STATE
15. AJ Nikolic, M, Malvern Prep (Pa.) | Mesa - CORNELL
16. Colin Burns, A, Georgetown Prep (Md.) | Madlax DC Dogs - PRINCETON

Four-Stars
17. Hunter Chauvette, A, Lawrenceville (N.J.) | SweetLax - YALE
18. Jackie Weller, FO, St. John's (D.C.) | Madlax DC Dogs - MICHIGAN
19. Alec Gregorek, A/M, Shoreham-Wading River (N.Y.) | Hawks, Legacy — NAVY
20. Aiden Bodonyi, LSM/D, Western Reserve (Ohio) | Resolute — OHIO STATE
21. Donny Scott, D, Hill Academy (Ont.) | Thunder - SYRACUSE

22. Wills Burt, M, Haverford (Pa.) | Mesa - VIRGINIA
23. Hunter Spiess, D, Brunswick (Conn.) | 2-Way - PRINCETON
24. Roman Buono, D, Malvern Prep (Pa.) | Mesa - YALE
25. Brett Koopman, LSM/D, Santa Fe Christian (Calif.) | Mad Dog, Nation United - NORTH CAROLINA
26. Robert Simone, FO, Lawrenceville (N.J.) | NJ Riot - ARMY
27. Brady Wambach, FO, Salisbury (Conn.) | SweetLax FL - NORTH CAROLINA
28. Elijah Stobaugh, M, IMG Academy (Fla.) | SweetLax FL - MARYLAND
29. Carson Krammer, M, Torrey Pines (Calif.) | West Coast Starz - PRINCETON
30. Goose Wilson, G, Cannon School (N.C.) | Team 91 Charlotte - NORTH CAROLINA
31. Davis Provost, A, Calvert Hall (Md.) | Mad Dog - PENN
32. Peter Moynihan, A, Taft (Conn.) | 2-Way - YALE
33. Jordan Faison, M, Pine Crest (Fla.) | Team 91 LI Bandits - NOTRE DAME
34. Hill Plunkett, A, Roswell (Ga.) | Thunder — ARMY
35. Larry Horning, M, Georgetown Prep (Md.) | Madlax DC Dogs - GEORGETOWN
36. CJ Reilly, M, Cold Spring Harbor (N.Y.) | LI Express - MICHIGAN
37. Niko Karetsos, A, Pace Academy (Ga.) | Thunder - NORTH CAROLINA
38. Michael Smyth, A/M, St. Paul's (Md.) | FCA Maryland - HARVARD
39. Andrew Greenspan, FO, Brunswick (Conn.) | Prime Time - NOTRE DAME
40. Alex Lobel, A, Roswell (Ga.) | Thunder - MICHIGAN
41. Jack Speidell, A, St. Anthony's (N.Y.) | Team 91 LI Bandits - HARVARD
42. Pasha Hakimi, LSM, St. Albans (D.C.) | Next Level - PENN
43. Trey Deere, A, Salisbury (Conn.) | SweetLax Upstate - SYRACUSE

44. Shuey Kelly, A, Calvert Hall (Md.) | FCA Maryland - GEORGETOWN
45. Matthew Tully, G, Noble & Greenough (Mass.) | Piatellin - CORNELL
46. Jack Schubert, A, Lake Braddock (Va.) | VLC - GEORGETOWN
47. Connor Foley, G, Thayer Academy (Mass.) | Laxachusetts - BROWN
48. Thomas Gravino, M, Victor (N.Y.) | SweetLax Upstate - MARYLAND
49. Jacob Pacheco, M, Boys' Latin (Md.) | Crabs - PENN
50. Julian Targete, M, IMG Academy (Fla.) | Laxachusettsu - OHIO STATE

Duke and UNC are popular destinations because they are great schools offering many positives but their players must enjoy road trips where they get to play in front of fans. See more fans at local high school games than those two draw at home.

Our biggest need for this one is a guy with the potential to be stud cover guy, and I think we have that in Donny Scott without question.

Agree with this. One would think Billy Dwan could be this player as he's a five star recruit. But I have read that he's an exceptional #2 guy, very smart and knows when to slide (music to my ears after years of bad slides), and he's got exceptional size. I would be surprised if he's not starting as a freshman, but I think you are right, they still probably need a shut down alpha. I think Riley Figueiras has been the number one cover guy for the Annapolis Hawks, the club team Dwan is on. I was really impressed with Chuck Kuczynski's highlight tape, he seems like a very aggressive defender.

The defense should be very interesting in '23. They could have to replace three of the top four spots (including LSM) if Murphy, Kennedy and DiPietro are presumed starters. They obviously bring in a lot of freshman that year but would also have guys who have gotten minutes already like Hapney and Horan, and younger players like Nick Caccamo, Caden Kol, Tommy Drago, Landon Clary, Michael Page etc. It's a bit scary to think multiple freshmen could be starting on defense, but spots will be open. Scott and Kilrain would then come in the next year.

Lastly, I'm not sure if they plan on switching one of the close defenders to LSM, but I am a bit surprised that Dylan Sageder is the only LSM they've brought in between the two classes.

Agree with this. One would think Billy Dwan could be this player as he's a five star recruit. But I have read that he's an exceptional #2 guy, very smart and knows when to slide (music to my ears after years of bad slides), and he's got exceptional size. I would be surprised if he's not starting as a freshman, but I think you are right, they still probably need a shut down alpha. I think Riley Figueiras has been the number one cover guy for the Annapolis Hawks, the club team Dwan is on. I was really impressed with Chuck Kuczynski's highlight tape, he seems like a very aggressive defender.

The defense should be very interesting in '23. They could have to replace three of the top four spots (including LSM) if Murphy, Kennedy and DiPietro are presumed starters. They obviously bring in a lot of freshman that year but would also have guys who have gotten minutes already like Hapney and Horan, and younger players like Nick Caccamo, Caden Kol, Tommy Drago, Landon Clary, Michael Page etc. It's a bit scary to think multiple freshmen could be starting on defense, but spots will be open. Scott and Kilrain would then come in the next year.

Lastly, I'm not sure if they plan on switching one of the close defenders to LSM, but I am a bit surprised that Dylan Sageder is the only LSM they've brought in between the two classes.

I believe Clary and Drago are both going to be strictly playing LSM and both have 3 years of eligibility remaining and SU brought in two LSM's in the class currently on campus including the kid from Salisbury that I believe the staff is really high on.

I suspect Caccamo will have the chance to start from Day 1 especially if they decide to keep Kennedy at LSM, although I do expect they will bump Kennedy down (makes way to much sense). I believe Dwan could be another guy who comes right in and starts with Murphy and Dipetro gone and obviously Kennedy at LSM. That gives you a starting D of Caccamo, unknown (Figueiras?) and Dwan with Clary and Drago at LSM. Kennedy the younger has the skill but has to stay healthy which he hasn't been able to do so far. I think Hapney and Horan are simply depth guys at this point.

Only two cuse guys, but hey at least nobody chose Hopkins! I think this will be a good class to compliment the fire power in the class above. Often in the past we have had a great recruiting class followed by one the year after that is pretty mediocre. Not the case this year. Our biggest need for this one is a guy with the potential to be stud cover guy, and I think we have that in Donny Scott without question.

With the O firepower in the Spallina class I think it was unlikely SU was going to bring it another 5 star heavy class. Flipping Thompson late for 22 is essentially getting another 4 star in this class. I think it would have been preferable to bring in one 5 star or at least another 1-2 top 50 guys for 23 but overall I like the class, a lot of guys who are just on the cusp of top 50 status who are likely to blow up this year and next. So much O talent in the 2022 class, it was going to be nearly impossible to replicate that again in 23 especially with Spallina almost assuredly getting a full scholarship or close to it.

With the O firepower in the Spallina class I think it was unlikely SU was going to bring it another 5 star heavy class. Flipping Thompson late for 22 is essentially getting another 4 star in this class. I think it would have been preferable to bring in one 5 star or at least another 1-2 top 50 guys for 23 but overall I like the class, a lot of guys who are just on the cusp of top 50 status who are likely to blow up this year and next. So much O talent in the 2022 class, it was going to be nearly impossible to replicate that again in 23 especially with Spallina almost assuredly getting a full scholarship or close to it.

Yes, I think the Thomson flip was a big deal. He looks like a special player, not especially physical from what I have seen so far, but a really smart and cerebral guy who can pass and finish really well. I think he will fit in really well with Spallina and Hiltz. Curious to see where he plays - in the Brogden Cup game I watched it looked like he played midfield for the first half and attack for the second.

As with the defense, if the offense is as senior heavy as I think it will be there will be a lot of spots open on attack and midfield. It should be all but guaranteed at this point that Spallina will start but if Dordevic is moved to attack, five of the top six attack/midfield spots could be open in '23. If they are moving Dordevic, that to me also kind of signals they don't have much faith in the guys already on the team, and should give the freshmen a leg up on competition.

I find it hard to beleive that Syracuse is going to roll out a team of all first years, but I think we could see a good amount getting serious playing time.

Yes, I think the Thomson flip was a big deal. He looks like a special player, not especially physical from what I have seen so far, but a really smart and cerebral guy who can pass and finish really well. I think he will fit in really well with Spallina and Hiltz. Curious to see where he plays - in the Brogden Cup game I watched it looked like he played midfield for the first half and attack for the second.

As with the defense, if the offense is as senior heavy as I think it will be there will be a lot of spots open on attack and midfield. It should be all but guaranteed at this point that Spallina will start but if Dordevic is moved to attack, five of the top six attack/midfield spots could be open in '23. If they are moving Dordevic, that to me also kind of signals they don't have much faith in the guys already on the team, and should give the freshmen a leg up on competition.

I find it hard to beleive that Syracuse is going to roll out a team of all first years, but I think we could see a good amount getting serious playing time.

Gonna be a lot of young guys getting PT in 2023 on both sides of the ball, hard to see how there isn't. Thompson seems like a middie to me but I could be wrong. Dordevic has another year of eligibility but I have heard its highly unlikely he's back next year and I can't really blame him as at some point you want to move on from College. Hiltz will obviously be there barring some sort of crazy development but beyond that its a whole bunch of question marks with Curry, Seebold, Quinn all gone.

I am unclear what the plan is for Dordevic, moving him to attack make some sense but then your robbing Peter to pay Paul by weakening a 1st midline that already has its own issues. I think there's some hope that some of the guys who were injured last year Birtwistle and Tenaglia etc can make an impact especially at midfield but that's not exactly a lock. I thought the intersquad scrimmage where most of the goals were from 3-4 guys was disappointing in that no one new stepped up and it was pretty much the knowns. You have to think that Magnan and Fiorini are on their last chance to make an impression this fall and early pre-season camp before you can officially label them a lost cause. If they can't get on the field this season there never getting on. I had high hopes for Magnan but for whatever reason he hasn't been able to get on the field with any sort of consistency.

I think there is a chance one of the young middies make a play for at least the 2nd line as the PT will be there. I think the ship has sailed for Cook unless Gait can unlock him but that seems highly unlikely and he sure as hell can't play midfield. Ferris showed some skill but can he show enough to be that third attackmen? Could Borges or Rice or Kelly make a play for PT at middie? Could Rosa force the staff to play him 2 ways or move full time back to mid? Lots of questions about the offensive guys beyond the known 5 of Curry, Dordevic Hiltz, Seebold and Quinn.

Gonna be a lot of young guys getting PT in 2023 on both sides of the ball, hard to see how there isn't. Thompson seems like a middie to me but I could be wrong. Dordevic has another year of eligibility but I have heard its highly unlikely he's back next year and I can't really blame him as at some point you want to move on from College. Hiltz will obviously be there barring some sort of crazy development but beyond that its a whole bunch of question marks with Curry, Seebold, Quinn all gone.

I am unclear what the plan is for Dordevic, moving him to attack make some sense but then your robbing Peter to pay Paul by weakening a 1st midline that already has its own issues. I think there's some hope that some of the guys who were injured last year Birtwistle and Tenaglia etc can make an impact especially at midfield but that's not exactly a lock. I thought the intersquad scrimmage where most of the goals were from 3-4 guys was disappointing in that no one new stepped up and it was pretty much the knowns. You have to think that Magnan and Fiorini are on their last chance to make an impression this fall and early pre-season camp before you can officially label them a lost cause. If they can't get on the field this season there never getting on. I had high hopes for Magnan but for whatever reason he hasn't been able to get on the field with any sort of consistency.

I think there is a chance one of the young middies make a play for at least the 2nd line as the PT will be there. I think the ship has sailed for Cook unless Gait can unlock him but that seems highly unlikely and he sure as hell can't play midfield. Ferris showed some skill but can he show enough to be that third attackmen? Could Borges or Rice or Kelly make a play for PT at middie? Could Rosa force the staff to play him 2 ways or move full time back to mid? Lots of questions about the offensive guys beyond the known 5 of Curry, Dordevic Hiltz, Seebold and Quinn.

I had the same thought about the intersquad scrimmage. It's great to see your top players produce and show they are "back", but you're also looking for someone unexpected to breakout. It doesn't look like that really happened. It's only one scrimmage, but you'd think that would be the best place for an unexpected player to stand out.

It's really important for someone from the group of say, Birtwistle, Tenaglia, Magnan, Fiorini, Borges, Papa, Lewis, McGuire etc to make an impact this season, not just for the '22 season but it's really important that the '23 offense isn't made up of Hiltz and a bunch of guys who haven't produced on a college field yet. Hopefully the coaching staff doesn't abandon a second midfield this year like they did at the end of last. You have to hope that players who do well on the second line this year can be elevated to the first line the next year.

Figueiras and Dwan will complement each other on the field. They already know each other’s abilities and have built the trust you need on the field. From what I’ve seen Dwan has the IQ/ cover skills and stick skills and Figueiras has the IQ and leads/controls the defense. Extremely vocal.
Both will earn their respect from day 1.

Inside Lacrosse's uncommitted 4 stars:
Gavin Creo 2023 Uncommitted A, Chaminade
Evan Curry 2023 Uncommitted M, Mater Dei (CA)
Caulley Deringer 2023 Uncommitted A, Episcopal (VA)
xCharlie Hazard 2023 Uncommitted D, Belmont (MA) Hopkins
Jack Kiefer 2023 Uncommitted D, Cherry Creek (CO)
Lucas Lawas 2023 Uncommitted G, Hill Acad (ON)
Jack Leland 2023 Uncommitted M, Gonzaga
Spencer Liston 2023 Uncommitted FO, Wilton (CT)
Chris Matia 2023 Uncommitted A, Lawrenceville (NJ)
Andrew Miller 2023 Uncommitted LSM, Northport (NY)
Sam Ralston 2023 Uncommitted D, Hartland (MI)
Matthew Torrey 2023 Uncommitted G, Belmont (MA)

Last edited:
Inside Lacrosse's uncommitted 4 stars:
Gavin Creo 2023 Uncommitted A, Chaminade
Evan Curry 2023 Uncommitted M, Mater Dei (CA)
Caulley Deringer 2023 Uncommitted A, Episcopal (VA)
Charlie Hazard 2023 Uncommitted D, Belmont (MA)
Jack Kiefer 2023 Uncommitted D, Cherry Creek (CO)
Lucas Lawas 2023 Uncommitted G, Hill Acad (ON)
Jack Leland 2023 Uncommitted M, Gonzaga
Spencer Liston 2023 Uncommitted FO, Wilton (CT)
Chris Matia 2023 Uncommitted A, Lawrenceville (NJ)
Andrew Miller 2023 Uncommitted LSM, Northport (NY)
Sam Ralston 2023 Uncommitted D, Hartland (MI)
Matthew Torrey 2023 Uncommitted G, Belmont (MA)

Hazard committed to Hopkins yesterday.

Deringer is a PLAYER. A tad undersized but he is a fun kid to watch. Scores in bunches no matter the setting.

Like Kellogg, Matia was listed as a 5-star last year and called one of if not the best attackman in the class... not really sure why he fell.

NLF is slanted to NLF affiliated teams and their players.
I think this year was different in that it was the first time that NLF opened it up to all teams, not just its members and affiliates.

Over on the Virginia thread on fanlax they seem to be reviewing the 2012 IL top 100 recruiting class.
Some moron has ended up doing a classification of boom, hit or bust for the class. The idiot has 3 booms, 2 hits and 11 busts for the 16 Maryland recruits.
Just looking at the recruits from the state of Maryland, there are 5 players I would call booms
#10 Deemer Class - 3x AA at Duke
#26 Robbie Haus - 2x 3rd team AA at OSU
#30 Ryan Brown - 2nd team AA in 2016 at JHU
#55 Kylor Bellistri - 92 pts as a senior, 3rd team AA at Brown
#89 Matt Dunn - 3rd and 2nd team AA at Maryland

Very few of the players were really busts, #6 Pat Kelly and #7 Spencer Parks did not live up to their recruit rankings, but Kelly scored 38pts as a senior at UNC (HM AA at midfield in 2016), and Parks after transferring to Towson scored 43 points his senior year. Busts? #46 Jake Matthai UNC - 2nd team AA ssdm as a senior - bust? #47 Charlie Schnider after transferring to Fairfield had 43 points as a senior is that a bust? #79 TJ Neubauer Fairfield had 109 goals in his career at midfield and was named HM AA as a senior, is that a bust?

So in the end 8 of the 16 top 100 recruits from Maryland ended up making the All-American team. Several others were regular players and nice contributors. Parks and Schnider were major contributors on their teams.

Last edited:
Wahoo add another 4 star to their 2023 class
UVa has apparently also gotten a commitment from Luke Pisani, who recommitted from 2022 (and decommitted from Army).
This gives UVA 6 2023 recruits with 5 4-stars.

Last edited:
Duke, Georgetown, UNC, Penn and Princeton deemed the five best 2023 recruiting classes by Ty Xanders and IL. Syracuse, Navy and Ohio State should probably also be in the discussion. It is by far not the only metric, but according to their very own database, OSU and Navy have 33 "stars" and Syracuse has 32. UNC has 29. Obviously more weight is given to players further up the Top 50, but I thought it was interesting to compare. Penn has the most stars at 42, Georgetown has 39, Princeton has 34 and Duke has 32.

Duke, Georgetown, UNC, Penn and Princeton deemed the five best 2023 recruiting classes by Ty Xanders and IL. Syracuse, Navy and Ohio State should probably also be in the discussion. It is by far not the only metric, but according to their very own database, OSU and Navy have 33 "stars" and Syracuse has 32. UNC has 29. Obviously more weight is given to players further up the Top 50, but I thought it was interesting to compare. Penn has the most stars at 42, Georgetown has 39, Princeton has 34 and Duke has 32.

I'd put Syracuse somewhere in the 6-10 range, probably not top 5 based on the lack of 5 stars but right up there. Lots of potential 4 star guys who can become 5 stars in that SU class.