Recruiting 2021-2023 | Page 19 | Syracusefan.com

Recruiting 2021-2023

Brendan Curry was also originally committed to Penn

Moral of the story is every time I think to say something along the lines of "I can't think of", "I could be wrong but ..." I should actually look stuff up. Thanks to everyone for pointing out how silly my latest declaration was! I guess the fact that SU lost five recent recruits to the Ivy's is something I just can't shake (White -> Princeton, Blake -> Harvard, Mulligan -> Penn, Friedman -> Princeton, Wandoff -> Brown).

Sowers was top 10 as an incoming freshman; may have been published by Ty Xander's old site Recruiting Rundown. Sowers played on USA U19 as an incoming freshman. Not sure about Ament, but imagine he was ranked considering how highly regarded his Haverford teams were.
Ament was #31 in ILs top 100 freshmen. At the time, that ranking seemed a little low to me.

For the five ACC schools, here are the Top 50 recruits for the 2020, 2021 and 2023 classes and the Top 10 ones for 2022 per Inside Lacrosse:

Duke
2020: #1 Brennan O’Neil A, #26 Aidan Danenza M, #28 Cole Krauss LSM/D, #42 Charilie O’Connor M
2021: #1 Andrew McAorey M, #2Keith Boyer LSM/D, #10 Jackson Gray M, , #17 Jake Wilson D; #29 Reed Landin M
2022: #8 Charlie Johnson D
2023: #1 McCabe Millon, A, #2 Benn Johnston, M, #4 Mac Christmas, LSM, #6 Tomas Delgado, M,

Notre Dame
2020: #40 Carter Pallette M
2021: #4 Chris Kavanaugh A; #34 Jeff Ricciardelli A, #49 Will Lynch FO
2022: #9 Brock Behrman A
2023: #33 Jordan Faison M, #39 Andrew Greenspan FO

UNC
2020: #3 Cole Herbert M; #5 Xavier Arline A, # 29 Collin Krieg G, #31 Colin Reilly M
2021: #7 Chase Mullins FO, #11 Tyler Schwarz LSM, #13 Johnny Schwarz M, #14 Dewey Egan A, #19 Paul Barton D, #36 Ryan Levy A, #38 Antonio DeMarco M, #45 Ty English M
2022: #2 Dom Pietramala A,
2023: #5 Owen Duffy A, #27 Brady Wombach FO; #30 Brayson Wilson G, #37 Niko Karetsos A

Virginia
2020: #12 Jake Naso FO, #17 Connell Kumar M, #25 Ben Wayer LSM, #49 Patrick McIntosh A
2021: #3 Matthew Nunes G, #8 Griffin Schutz A, #25 Tucker Mullen A, #26 Thomas Mencke A, #40 Thomas McNeal LSM,
2022: #3 Joey Terenzi M, #4 Truit Sutherland A, #10 Mac Eldridge FO
2023: #22 Wills Burt M

Syracuse
2020: #2 Owen Hiltz A, #47 Jackson Birtwistle A
2022: #1 Joey Spallina A,
2023: #21 Donny Scott, #43 Trey Deere A
It seems a little surprising that UVa was in the final running for Millon given that they had Truit Sunderland in the 2022 class.
That is a pretty good group of attackmen for UVa over the 2021-2022 classes: Schutz, Mullen, Mencke, then Sunderland.

It seems a little surprising that UVa was in the final running for Millon given that they had Truit Sunderland in the 2022 class.
That is a pretty good group of attackmen for UVa over the 2021-2022 classes: Schutz, Mullen, Mencke, then Sunderland.

If any team has showed the ability to have "position-less" players, it's UVA. Very curious to see how they run their offense this year - will they have a more standard attack lineup with Moore, Shellenberger and Cormier, or will they try and mix things up like they did last year?

If Millon was interested in playing at your program, I don't think a school would be wise to turn him down just because they have a similar player committed. The interest could have been mostly player driven.

Seems like Hopkins has picked up their recruiting recently. They have seven commits, up from four just a few days ago. Still not much action from UVA or Maryland.

Both Sunderland and Millon are pretty versatile. IL pigeonholed them both as classic X attackmen/quarterback types, and both can certainly play that role, but both are also capable of doing more. Any offensive coordinator worth his salt would have found a way to make it work.

If any team has showed the ability to have "position-less" players, it's UVA. Very curious to see how they run their offense this year - will they have a more standard attack lineup with Moore, Shellenberger and Cormier, or will they try and mix things up like they did last year?

If Millon was interested in playing at your program, I don't think a school would be wise to turn him down just because they have a similar player committed. The interest could have been mostly player driven.

Seems like Hopkins has picked up their recruiting recently. They have seven commits, up from four just a few days ago. Still not much action from UVA or Maryland.
I was looking at it from the other perspective, i.e., if UVa already had a top x-attackman to run the offense the year before him, maybe UVa wouldn't seem like a great choice.

Hey Orange Brethren,

I had previously posted that I have coached a lot of 2023s. That's true, and I had also promised I was going to put together a list of impressive prospects that I have coached, that were on teams I coached against, or that I have seen play at tournaments in fall ball, winter leagues, box or during the summer. I have not and I apologize... frankly it feels a little weird to be writing about it when I know many of them and their families. So I won't always be saying how I know the prospects - some I know very well and some I don't know at all. I suspect some of the players I have been most waiting to see get some ink won't get any at all. Those are the ones I'm most looking forward to sharing. But above all, remember I am only reporting on who I have seen... the services we all pay attention to have seen more kids from '23 than I have and most of them more recently than I have watched them play. I'm not trying to paint myself as being a guru... I'm not - I'm just sharing observations on the board I've been participating on for decades because you all have shared so much with me.

Just off of IL Rankings articles :

From the Top 50:

Rob Simone (FO - Lawrenceville/NJ Riot) - Great player and athlete and has been dominant since I first saw him when he was in middle school. Not surprised to see him in the Top 50.

Second Wave:

Colin Kurdyla (M - Bridgewater-Raritan/2 Knights) - Haven't seen him play since middle school but it was apparent then that he is a handful and his shot from outside was insane. Absolute rifle and he gets it off quickly and unexpectedly.

Mark Marino (A/M - Don Bosco/NJ Riot) - Don't know a ton except to say that when I saw him play as a young player his fundamentals were beyond his years and it stuck out like a sore thumb. IL article says he could move to Middie? Fine but he would be wasted at D Middie... elite offensive skills.

Fourth Wave:

Jake Melchionni (LSM - Delbarton/Leading Edge) - Jake is truly a dominant and elite, highly-skilled player. He is fearless and plays WAY bigger than his size and leaves EVERYTHING on the field. I don't specifically know how big he is currently, but if I'm a college coach I take him, put pounds on him and call it a day. His highlights are all legit and what, 8 minutes long in the IL video? Jake has had a LASER shot since the day he opted to move to LSM from Midfield. Would LOVE IT if he ended up at SU. So what's the rub? Dad (Keith) was an HM All-American at Duke in '89.

--------

Not going to write much about the top ranked kids... don't have anything unique to share. As I have posted, Owen Duffy is legit and hopefully he wants to join the Spallinas here since he's played with them for so long. I saw them play together this summer and Owen (and Leo Hoffman) were as good as billed. As far as I know I have not seen Millon play.

I'll revise this as we go.

I was looking at it from the other perspective, i.e., if UVa already had a top x-attackman to run the offense the year before him, maybe UVa wouldn't seem like a great choice.

I wonder how much recruits think about the depth chart in front of them? Everyone thought Shellenberger would have/should have transferred because Moore was in front of him, but then Shellenberger goes on to win MVP of the Tournament and Moore scores a boatload of points. Turns out it really didn't matter that UVA already had their "QB".

Owen Duffy commits to UNC even though they bring in Dewey Egan (#14 in IL rankings) and Ryan Levy (#36) this year as a freshman, then follow that up with Dom Pietramala (#2) and James Mattan (five star in '22). Not just that, they also have #37 ranked Niko Karestos in his own class already committed.

If a star attackman wanted to stay away from a school that was bringing in highly recruited attackmen, it feels like Duffy should have stayed far away from UNC. So I really wonder how much they factor the depth chart? On this board, we try and pick the depth chart two, three years ahead a time and almost every time we are wildly off the mark. Even trying to predict the '22 starting lineup there will be misses. So it's probably best for kids to think about the academics, the coach, and things like that before they start worrying about playing time.

I wonder how much recruits think about the depth chart in front of them? Everyone thought Shellenberger would have/should have transferred because Moore was in front of him, but then Shellenberger goes on to win MVP of the Tournament and Moore scores a boatload of points. Turns out it really didn't matter that UVA already had their "QB".

Owen Duffy commits to UNC even though they bring in Dewey Egan (#14 in IL rankings) and Ryan Levy (#36) this year as a freshman, then follow that up with Dom Pietramala (#2) and James Mattan (five star in '22). Not just that, they also have #37 ranked Niko Karestos in his own class already committed.

If a star attackman wanted to stay away from a school that was bringing in highly recruited attackmen, it feels like Duffy should have stayed far away from UNC. So I really wonder how much they factor the depth chart? On this board, we try and pick the depth chart two, three years ahead a time and almost every time we are wildly off the mark. Even trying to predict the '22 starting lineup there will be misses. So it's probably best for kids to think about the academics, the coach, and things like that before they start worrying about playing time.
Yes... it is so hard and probably foolish to predict things based on a depth chart, yet I continuously find myself doing that. That other thing - life - gets in the way. All it takes is a kid finding the right girl and a couple of good friends to keep him firmly rooted at a school where he's not getting the PT he thought he would.

Shellenberger was 2 years behind Moore. Shellenberger did red-shirt his freshman year which would have put him 3 years behind Moore, except that Coronivirus gave Moore another year of eligibility. Moore came to UVa as a midfield recruit. Lastly, Shellenberger has a pretty big shot which allows him to succeed well at midfield.

Having other talented attackmen around that were finishers would make a school more attractive to an x-attackman.

Vern Cook ‘23 from Lafayette NY, Onondaga committed to Johns Hopkins today. Ok

Is he Haudenosaunee? I wonder about the Bucktooth kid? Got to leverage that Promise scholarship. We don’t have a Bloomberg gift.

Is he Haudenosaunee? I wonder about the Bucktooth kid? Got to leverage that Promise scholarship. We don’t have a Bloomberg gift.
He is native and would qualify. Don’t hold your breath on Jamieson committing to Cuse. His father AJ briefly played for the Orange and it was not a good experience.

He is native and would qualify. Don’t hold your breath on Jamieson committing to Cuse. His father AJ briefly played for the Orange and it was not a good experience.

What is his relation to Brett? Also there is a Brett Bucktooth JR on Lafayette, who is a soph. I assume his son? I am old.

Jamieson had 53 and 33 this year as a sophomore, Cook had 36 and 36 as a junior.

Would of course like to get all of the Native talent at Syracuse but it’s also not a bad thing that these kids are able to play other places.

I forgot Milliman is the Iroquois head coach for the Sixes team, which has Deere and Marquis. Probably makes flipping Marquis that much harder.

What is his relation to Brett? Also there is a Brett Bucktooth JR on Lafayette, who is a soph. I assume his son? I am old.

Jamieson had 53 and 33 this year as a sophomore, Cook had 36 and 36 as a junior.

Would of course like to get all of the Native talent at Syracuse but it’s also not a bad thing that these kids are able to play other places.

I forgot Milliman is the Iroquois head coach for the Sixes team, which has Deere and Marquis. Probably makes flipping Marquis that much harder.
Brett Jr and Jamieson are cousins.

1633899849658.png

Wow! Two takeaways here:

1 - Penn is absolutely killing it. Frankly, I don't really know why, but it's happening.

2 - I'm officially #concerned for Maryland. Beacham has a brother who's a freshman there and he was one one of the guys their fans have been targeting all summer/fall. If not him, then who? They really need to land either Nikolic or Stobaugh. I wonder if the word is out that Tillman is transfer happy and recruits are nervous to matriculate only for them to immediately bring in a Keegan Khan or Jonathan Donville to block their path to early playing time.

2022 Aiden Aitken, Salisbury CT, flipped from Denver to Maryland today. Maryland will be just fine.

Five-Stars
1. McCabe Millon, A, McDonogh (Md.) | Team 91 MD - DUKE
2. Benn Johnston, M, Avon Old Farms (Conn.) | True IL - DUKE
3. Leo Hoffman, M, Brunswick (Conn.) | Team 91 LI Bandits - PENN
4. Mac Christmas, LSM, Georgetown Prep (Md.) | Madlax DC Dogs - DUKE
5. Owen Duffy, A, St. Anthony’s (N.Y.) | Team 91 LI Bandits - NORTH CAROLINA
6. Tomas Delgado, M, Brunswick (Conn.) | Prime Time - DUKE
7. Ty Banks, LSM/D, Western Reserve (Ohio) | West Coast Starz
8. Kyle Lehman, A/M, Wissahickon (Pa.) | Freedom - PENN STATE
9. Nate Kabiri, A, Georgetown Prep (Md.) | Madlax DC Dogs - GEORGETOWN
10. Anderson Moore, G, Briarwood Christian (Ala.) | Thunder - GEORGETOWN
11. Tucker Wade, M, Bullis (Md.) | DC Express — PRINCETON
12. Ben Beacham, M, La Costa Canyon (Calif.) | Mad Dog, West Coast Starz - PENN
13. AJ Marsh, D, McDonogh (Md.) | Crabs - NAVY
14. Caleb Fyock, G, St. John’s (D.C.) | Annapolis Hawks, Crabs - OHIO STATE
15. AJ Nikolic, M, Malvern Prep (Pa.) | Mesa - CORNELL
16. Colin Burns, A, Georgetown Prep (Md.) | Madlax DC Dogs - PRINCETON

Four-Stars
17. Hunter Chauvette, A, Lawrenceville (N.J.) | SweetLax - YALE
18. Jackie Weller, FO, St. John's (D.C.) | Madlax DC Dogs - MICHIGAN
19. Alec Gregorek, A/M, Shoreham-Wading River (N.Y.) | Hawks, Legacy — NAVY
20. Aiden Bodonyi, LSM/D, Western Reserve (Ohio) | Resolute — OHIO STATE
21. Donny Scott, D, Hill Academy (Ont.) | Thunder - SYRACUSE
22. Wills Burt, M, Haverford (Pa.) | Mesa - VIRGINIA
23. Hunter Spiess, D, Brunswick (Conn.) | 2-Way - PRINCETON
24. Roman Buono, D, Malvern Prep (Pa.) | Mesa - YALE
25. Brett Koopman, LSM/D, Santa Fe Christian (Calif.) | Mad Dog, Nation United
26. Robert Simone, FO, Lawrenceville (N.J.) | NJ Riot - ARMY
27. Brady Wambach, FO, Salisbury (Conn.) | SweetLax FL - NORTH CAROLINA
28. Elijah Stobaugh, M, IMG Academy (Fla.) | SweetLax FL
29. Carson Krammer, M, Torrey Pines (Calif.) | West Coast Starz - PRINCETON
30. Goose Wilson, G, Cannon School (N.C.) | Team 91 Charlotte - NORTH CAROLINA
31. Davis Provost, A, Calvert Hall (Md.) | Mad Dog - PENN
32. Peter Moynihan, A, Taft (Conn.) | 2-Way - YALE
33. Jordan Faison, M, Pine Crest (Fla.) | Team 91 LI Bandits - NOTRE DAME
34. Hill Plunkett, A, Roswell (Ga.) | Thunder — ARMY
35. Larry Horning, M, Georgetown Prep (Md.) | Madlax DC Dogs - GEORGETOWN
36. CJ Reilly, M, Cold Spring Harbor (N.Y.) | LI Express - MICHIGAN
37. Niko Karetsos, A, Pace Academy (Ga.) | Thunder - NORTH CAROLINA
38. Michael Smyth, A/M, St. Paul's (Md.) | FCA Maryland - HARVARD
39. Andrew Greenspan, FO, Brunswick (Conn.) | Prime Time - NOTRE DAME
40. Alex Lobel, A, Roswell (Ga.) | Thunder - MICHIGAN
41. Jack Speidell, A, St. Anthony's (N.Y.) | Team 91 LI Bandits - HARVARD
42. Pasha Hakimi, LSM, St. Albans (D.C.) | Next Level - PENN
43. Trey Deere, A, Salisbury (Conn.) | SweetLax Upstate - SYRACUSE
44. Shuey Kelly, A, Calvert Hall (Md.) | FCA Maryland - GEORGETOWN
45. Matthew Tully, G, Noble & Greenough (Mass.) | Piatellin - CORNELL
46. Jack Schubert, A, Lake Braddock (Va.) | VLC - GEORGETOWN
47. Connor Foley, G, Thayer Academy (Mass.) | Laxachusetts - BROWN
48. Thomas Gravino, M, Victor (N.Y.) | SweetLax Upstate - MARYLAND
49. Jacob Pacheco, M, Boys' Latin (Md.) | Crabs - PENN
50. Julian Targete, M, IMG Academy (Fla.) | Laxachusettsu - OHIO STATE

Updated '23 classes by total # of IL stars:

1. Penn (42)
  2. Princeton (34)
  3. Navy (33)
  4. Georgetown (30)
  5. Ohio State (29)
  6. Duke, Syracuse (28)
  7. Notre Dame (25)
  8. Michigan, Brown (24)
  9. North Carolina (21)
  10. Johns Hopkins, Yale (20)
  11. Harvard (19)
  12. Penn State (17)
  13. Cornell (13)
  14. Army (12)
  15. Maryland, Virginia, Rutgers, Villanova (8)
  16. Denver, Marquette, Colgate, BU (4)
Some notables:
- Toomey usually does well with the recruits he gets, but still, 0 stars for the Hounds as of today
- Maryland and Virginia stick out like sore thumbs
- Rutgers doesn't appear to be doing any better than last year, perhaps a side effect of Transfermania
- Penn and Princeton having MONSTER years. Any explanation for this?
- Everything else looks like business as usual for the most part. Tierney can't be thrilled especially with them also just losing '22 Aitken to Maryland