Recruiting 2022-2024 | Page 27 | Syracusefan.com

Recruiting 2022-2024

FBCC6CBA-79ED-4612-80B2-DAF2918E9174.jpeg

Not how I wanted to start the day.

Dang! LaForge had Maryland on his list.

Jewel Walker is impressive physically. Perhaps he will just end up being an ssdm, but does have some offensive potential. I'm a little surprised he is not a 4-star recruit.

Maybe we really are gonna play the transfer market and the NIL stuff here. Everyone’s else classes are very nice.
Seems risky to chances that big time players are leaving so this will play out interesting.

Maybe we really are gonna play the transfer market and the NIL stuff here. Everyone’s else classes are very nice.
Seems risky to chances that big time players are leaving so this will play out interesting.
We have a very nice class too??

Our class is nice.
Some ls are very nice.
And a couple mag be very very nice.
We will definitely grab a couple more offensive guys. I see no reason whatsoever to panic. Especially with all the strong names in the two classes before this one. These are guys that are about to start their jr year seasons. The speed that the kids in this class committed feels much faster than last year, which may mean more will flip their commitments when the dust settles. Between flipping, plenty of talent still available, and the portal I have no worries at all.

Classs could definitely use 1 or 2 more Offensive pieces but we knew going into it that it was going to be a smaller class. I assume we will get another 2-3 players and I also wouldn't be shocked if we flipped someone late again.

We will definitely grab a couple more offensive guys. I see no reason whatsoever to panic. Especially with all the strong names in the two classes before this one. These are guys that are about to start their jr year seasons. The speed that the kids in this class committed feels much faster than last year, which may mean more will flip their commitments when the dust settles. Between flipping, plenty of talent still available, and the portal I have no worries at all.
No panicking here, I know there’s a couple years before everything is settled. With the pieces we have and with transfers, and flips, I’m good.
Just bummed seeing everyone else smash this top 50.

Maybe they are keeping it smaller for a reason..I don’t know but maybe they have their eyes on some kids and pull a Jamison move.. some of those kids on Haudenosaunee that are going to onondaga are pretty good

It does feel like certain schools are getting commits in bunches. Cornell grabbed 4 recruits (three of them four stars) over a five day period to start things off. They slowed that tempo down considerably. Virginia got a top 50 player one day, and then the next, two five stars (Colsey and Browne) on the same day. There are peaks and valleys for sure. Duke has three five stars but only four total recruits. From 9/24 to 9/28 UNC picked up four 4 star recruits and one five star. Hopefully Syracuse can pick up a few more kids over the next couple of days, still a lot of good players out there.

FWIW the teams leading the "stars" department are as follows - Navy (36), Notre Dame (34), UNC (33), Virginia (31), Princeton (29), and Maryland (27). The next highest class after UMD is Harvard at 22. Syracuse has 21 (tied with Brown who people have been hyping, one more than Penn State and Michigan) so they are definitely in that next bracket.

What really stands out for SU is that they have only two attackmen, combined, for the '23 and '24 classes, and both of them are lefties (Deere and Anderson). Both look like great players and future starters, but I have to imagine they need more than they have committed right now. Spallina and Thomson will both be juniors when the '24 class shows up so that might be scaring some kids away, and Hiltz should have a year of eligibility left. That said schools like Duke and UNC and UVA have oodles of five star attackmen committed right now, so I don't think that's all of it. No Canadians committed for the class also feels strange.

Classs could definitely use 1 or 2 more Offensive pieces but we knew going into it that it was going to be a smaller class. I assume we will get another 2-3 players and I also wouldn't be shocked if we flipped someone late again.

And not all those Ivy commits and Service Academy commits are going to gain acceptance or stick.

Last edited:
You also have to think that they probably spent a lot of scholarship dollars in last two classes and transfer market this summer. Might not have much money to give this year, hence a smaller class.
Syracuse, traditionally, is a place that recruits a ton of private school kids who’s parents are ok paying full freight.

It does feel like certain schools are getting commits in bunches. Cornell grabbed 4 recruits (three of them four stars) over a five day period to start things off. They slowed that tempo down considerably. Virginia got a top 50 player one day, and then the next, two five stars (Colsey and Browne) on the same day. There are peaks and valleys for sure. Duke has three five stars but only four total recruits. From 9/24 to 9/28 UNC picked up four 4 star recruits and one five star. Hopefully Syracuse can pick up a few more kids over the next couple of days, still a lot of good players out there.

FWIW the teams leading the "stars" department are as follows - Navy (36), Notre Dame (34), UNC (33), Virginia (31), Princeton (29), and Maryland (27). The next highest class after UMD is Harvard at 22. Syracuse has 21 (tied with Brown who people have been hyping, one more than Penn State and Michigan) so they are definitely in that next bracket.

What really stands out for SU is that they have only two attackmen, combined, for the '23 and '24 classes, and both of them are lefties (Deere and Anderson). Both look like great players and future starters, but I have to imagine they need more than they have committed right now. Spallina and Thomson will both be juniors when the '24 class shows up so that might be scaring some kids away, and Hiltz should have a year of eligibility left. That said schools like Duke and UNC and UVA have oodles of five star attackmen committed right now, so I don't think that's all of it. No Canadians committed for the class also feels strange.
When the dust settles Cam Ryan will be a 4* as well.

Something else to consider.. Sorry if it was previously mentioned. Some of the academy recruits may get "cold feet" or maybe an Ivy recruit does not make it through the admissions process - a player or 2 may fall into 'Case's lap.

A nice pick up for Towson to get a 4-star goalie.

That appears to get us to 46 4-stars left on Inside Lacrosse

Last edited:
Here’s who’s left on IL 50

20 Ben Firlie M McDonogh
25 Austin Hicks A St. Margaret’s
32 Reid Gills FO Severn
45 Mathew McIntee M East Islip
46 Luke Warrington M Culver

Hope we could get one

Over on the NLF, those left in the top 50 appear to be:
18 Austin Hicks, A, St.Margaret's CA
20 Dante Vardaro, D, St.Anthony's NY
26 Ben Firlie, M, McDonogh MD
32 Reid Gills, FO, Severn MD
35 Kevin Miller, A, Landon MD
45 Aiden Olazabal, G, Exeter NH

Over on the NLF, those left in the top 50 appear to be:
18 Austin Hicks, A, St.Margaret's CA
20 Dante Vardaro, D, St.Anthony's NY
26 Ben Firlie, M, McDonogh MD
32 Reid Gills, FO, Severn MD
35 Kevin Miller, A, Landon MD
45 Aiden Olazabal, G, Exeter NH
So basically there’s eight players between the two lists that everyone’s watching.. lol

This is a neat little video that proves you don’t need the number one overall player