Recruiting 2022-2024 | Page 14 | Syracusefan.com

Recruiting 2022-2024

Really hard to predict future years but UVA will bring back both Shellenberger and Schutz (predicted to start at attack this year). Shellenberger has this year and next year. They will also have five star Sunderland as a freshman this year. Not to mention Dunkel comes in the following year as the number one recruit expecting playing time.

For lefties they have Ryan Colsey this year and Caulley Derringer next year. And I think Peyton Cormier has two more years left. That’s a lot of highly ranked attackmen for only three spots. I’m also going out on a limb and guessing that Millon won’t be up for sitting on the bench.

Really hard to predict future years but UVA will bring back both Shellenberger and Schutz (predicted to start at attack this year). Shellenberger has this year and next year. They will also have five star Sunderland as a freshman this year. Not to mention Dunkel comes in the following year as the number one recruit expecting playing time.

For lefties they have Ryan Colsey this year and Caulley Derringer next year. And I think Peyton Cormier has two more years left. That’s a lot of highly ranked attackmen for only three spots. I’m also going out on a limb and guessing that Millon won’t be up for sitting on the bench.
Great points.. Million (or his dad) would not to be happy with him sitting.

UNC picked up Brevin Wilson 2024 #48 on IL plays righty attack.

With the Dunks committ and Million switch things should be interesting the next couple weeks, no?
I imagine Uva has room for maximum 1 more attackman now, but Duke just cleared but lots of money

what happened to anthony panetti? NLF had him as a 5-star and was considered one of the top players in the class last year, and now he's outside their top 100. that is too sharp of a fall to be due solely to injury

I imagine Uva has room for maximum 1 more attackman now, but Duke just cleared but lots of money
They are stacked add in Sunderland and Colsey in 22 and 23 now with million and deringer and Band now with dunk in 24 room at the Inn has to be getting smaller and smaller. And yes Dukes moves now will be interesting to watch as well. Gotta imagine they will nab someone here in 23 or more than likely a 5* in 24

Gonna be mutliple transfer outs I think for UVA, just not going to be the PT available for some of these guys. Not saying there going to lose 5 star guys but if your Colsey and a few others, hard to see how you get on the field.

Duke almost never loses kids to decommits especially their big guns. Kind of shocking to be honest. Durham having some issues they have rarely gone through under Danowski.

what happened to anthony panetti? NLF had him as a 5-star and was considered one of the top players in the class last year, and now he's outside their top 100. that is too sharp of a fall to be due solely to injury
It's hard to know. There were a lot of large jumps in the in the NLF rankings between May and September. Of course, it is 2 years before these guys get to college, which should remind us not to buy Into these rankings too much.
Watching Panetti's highlights, he looks like a nice invert midfielder.

Gonna be mutliple transfer outs I think for UVA, just not going to be the PT available for some of these guys. Not saying there going to lose 5 star guys but if your Colsey and a few others, hard to see how you get on the field.

Duke almost never loses kids to decommits especially their big guns. Kind of shocking to be honest. Durham having some issues they have rarely gone through under Danowski.

has already happened and will continue to happen. kumar and maher though unproven, were two talented young middies that lars didn't want to lose. cormier and dickson both seriously flirted with the portal before ultimately deciding to return but clearly something made them consider leaving. no shame if you can't crack that top 6. it's about to be absolutely loaded for years to come.

Still time for Pietramala to come to his senses !!!
If Roy wasn't happy that Desko didnt recruit Ryan harder, he has to be even less happy that Lars is now bringing in the two top attackmen in the '23 and '24 classes on top of an already stacked unit. The problem for Cuse though is that attack represents our deepest set of positions if Ryan decides to look for PT elsewhere. There are more opportunities though if he could transition to middie.

it's because there is even less parity in the women's game. it's the same teams in the final four every year. (UNC, BC, Cuse, MD, Northwestern) meaning most top recruits only have a handful of options, really. in the men's game you've now got 4/5 ACCs, several B1Gs, several Ivies + Georgetown who can credibly call themselves "top programs." more options, more time needed for decisions.

If Roy wasn't happy that Desko didnt recruit Ryan harder, he has to be even less happy that Lars is now bringing in the two top attackmen in the '23 and '24 classes on top of an already stacked unit. The problem for Cuse though is that attack represents our deepest set of positions if Ryan decides to look for PT elsewhere. There are more opportunities though if he could transition to middie.

I beleive both Ryan and Kyle are lefties, so they must be used to playing with other lefties. Not sure how their games are different but I bet there is a poster on the board who can shed some light how the two are similar, and how they are different. Ryan is a good deal bigger at 6-3 200, compared to 5-9 155 for Kyle.

It does not look like Ryan will play right away for the Hoos as they have Cormier as the lefty attackman (and of course seem pretty set at that position regardless of which hand is dominant). Perhaps he is wiling to play midfield, though he probably won't start at that spot either as they have a leftie in McConvey and other returners. As mentioned previously the attack will probably be the same the following year (with increased competition from #1 recruit Millon).

Perhaps he is willing to wait it out and compete for a midfield spot as a sophomore/redshirt freshman. I thought I had read that Ryan has been a lifelong Virginia fan and he had his heart set there for a while. I don't know if the same holds true for his younger brother.

As for Kyle, Cormier should be gone by the time he shows up as a freshman. He and his brother should have an upper hand for his spot given that they are natural lefties, but they would be competing for that spot with Millon, and Dunkel. Its not impossible for three righties to play on attack, I beleive Danny Gladding, Garrett Billings and Steele Stanwick were all righties and played on the same line for UVA years ago. Perhaps they move Schutz back to midfield, but it would still be a tough spot to break into.

UVA has become the purveyors of "position-less" lacrosse, so perhaps they are both happy to play midfield. For as much hype as the UVA attack is getting, outside of Terenzi there aren't many high end midfielders coming in the next few years.

If Kyle were to consider Syracuse, Hiltz would be a senior his freshman year on the Hill. As lefties, Michael Leo would be a junior and Trey Deere would be a sophomore. Again, predicting future lineups can be completely futile since you never know with injuries or transfers or other sorts of mitigating circumstances. Seems SU would be a better situation for him but its not a given either.

Ryan and Kyle have pretty dissimilar playing styles. Ryan is much bigger with a long wing span. He has extremely good hands and stick skills due to an extensive box background which lends a Canadian sensibility to his game. He's quick enough to beat his man from X, but is at his best as a physical dodger who uses body leverage to get to good shooting positions. Definitely has the range to hit outside shots but primarily he operates at close to mid-range.

Kyle is much more of a burner. He's significantly smaller, but extremely quick and shifty. He's more likely to just blow by his man rather than trying to back him down or duck underneath. He also has a great underhand shooting stroke...he scores a lot of goals from distance both off the catch and off the dodge.

Last edited: