Recruiting 2023-2025 | Page 31 | Syracusefan.com

Recruiting 2023-2025

One concern I would note about this class that I think Powellfan astutely pointed out is you wonder if SU has overlooked some of the 4 stars you see committing elsewhere in order to go after the cream of the crop 5 and highest 4s. Now I assume SU has been involved with some and they just chose to go elsewhere but it is curious that SU hasn't landed more 4 starts while schools like OSU, Hop, PSU and others seem to be really pursuing them with gusto. This was going to be a smaller class to begin with after the last few but the lack of attackmen and some of the NY 4 stars we have missed or didn't pursue is a bit concerning.

Last edited:
Interesting concept. There’s not really a ton of cost there. I wonder what they do for players without licenses? Who’s covering the insurance?
Funded by collective donations, the trucks will be leased to each player as part of individual six-month contracts that are expected to roll over contingent on a player’s eligibility and enrollment at the university. Leases end when a player’s eligibility expires or they choose to transfer. The collective will also cover the insurance for each truck.

Recruits, please note…​

IMG_8724.jpeg

Are these kids at ND paying their own way? How can you possibly divide 12.6 'ships between all these players?

Also, this must have been expected and I assume that's it for Notre Dame this cycle.
Corrigan freed up some $$ over the weekend.

As of this moment, there are just 10 uncommitted four star recruits in the IL database (I'm not counting Merrill). Right now Syracuse has just six commits for the 2025 class. I have to say I am a bit mystified as to what exactly is going on this recruiting cycle for the Orange. I can't remember the last time SU had under 10 commits. Perhaps this class will just be a bit unconventional. Last year at this time they had 8 commits (one was a reclass from the '23 group in Kolby White). They picked up Owen O'Farrell in late October, Jack Schell in December and finally Ryan Pells the following May.

Is SU waiting for late bloomers to emerge? Are they holding back resources for a big push in the '26 class (first year they will need to replace the Spallina sophomores)? Given Spallina and co, baring injury will be seniors by the time this class shows up to campus, are the coaches thinking they will fill out the roster with more proven transfers? I guess the big question is: is this smaller class part of some over-reaching plan, or is it because they missed out on players and they weren't able to pivot?

Right now the breakdown of the next two classes ('24 and '25) looks like this -

Attack: Anderson, O'Farrell
Midfield: McIntee, White, Schell, Hahn, Pike
SSDM: Pels, Kittelberger
F/O: Angelo
LSM: Bologino
Defense: Ryan, Stephens, Filardi, D'Agostino
Goalie: Ferguson, Bartlow

Midfield seems in good shape with three four stars and a five star in Hahn, but all other positions look a bit light, outside of goalie and maybe defense (though I worry about Filardi getting football offers). Just seems like SU is on shaky ground right now with respects to the future. I had high hopes for this class given their success with transfers this summer. Perhaps the coaches have a plan and the handwringing will be for not. I hope so.

As of this moment, there are just 10 uncommitted four star recruits in the IL database (I'm not counting Merrill). Right now Syracuse has just six commits for the 2025 class. I have to say I am a bit mystified as to what exactly is going on this recruiting cycle for the Orange. I can't remember the last time SU had under 10 commits. Perhaps this class will just be a bit unconventional. Last year at this time they had 8 commits (one was a reclass from the '23 group in Kolby White). They picked up Owen O'Farrell in late October, Jack Schell in December and finally Ryan Pells the following May.

Is SU waiting for late bloomers to emerge? Are they holding back resources for a big push in the '26 class (first year they will need to replace the Spallina sophomores)? Given Spallina and co, baring injury will be seniors by the time this class shows up to campus, are the coaches thinking they will fill out the roster with more proven transfers? I guess the big question is: is this smaller class part of some over-reaching plan, or is it because they missed out on players and they weren't able to pivot?

Right now the breakdown of the next two classes ('24 and '25) looks like this -

Attack: Anderson, O'Farrell
Midfield: McIntee, White, Schell, Hahn, Pike
SSDM: Pels, Kittelberger
F/O: Angelo
LSM: Bologino
Defense: Ryan, Stephens, Filardi, D'Agostino
Goalie: Ferguson, Bartlow

Midfield seems in good shape with three four stars and a five star in Hahn, but all other positions look a bit light, outside of goalie and maybe defense (though I worry about Filardi getting football offers). Just seems like SU is on shaky ground right now with respects to the future. I had high hopes for this class given their success with transfers this summer. Perhaps the coaches have a plan and the handwringing will be for not. I hope so.
No idea what is happening with this class but they do have a lot of players currently on the roster. The players feel they have too many.

No idea what is happening with this class but they do have a lot of players currently on the roster. The players feel they have too many.
Which is odd, since Gait said when he took over that he thought the roster was bloated and he was going to try to whittle it down.

Yup its a large roster. Some of that will flush out after this year with so many grad transfers and I suspect there will be a higher number of transfers out as younger players who want PT get a better handle on their status.

Which is odd, since Gait said when he took over that he thought the roster was bloated and he was going to try to whittle it down.
Yea. Think they have 60 or so right now.

Yea. Think they have 60 or so right now.

61, up from 53 last year. Gait had brought the roster down from 58 in 2021 (Desko's last year) to 54 in 2022. A bit surprising they would boost the roster so much after, like Jeremy said, Gait wanted to keep a smaller lineup. Perhaps cuts are coming post fall ball but I think that would be a little unconventional.

Kind of foolhardy to try and guess roster numbers a year out, but I think SU is due to lose 13 players next year, and bring in 11 freshmen. So still a pretty big roster, and I think some of the 5th years could come back for an additional year if they want to. The rising junior class is quite big, around 21 if I am counting correctly, so perhaps that is where Gait sees the roster coming back into a more manageable number?

That's worrisome that the players think the roster is too big. Hopefully the coaches are managing things properly. I wrote a bunch of posts back in the day concerned the roster was too big, and how could the staff properly evaluate what they had. The roster has only grown since then.

These guys are in their last year of eligibility:
Christian Mule
Michael Page
Max Rosa
Jake Stevens
Sam English
Nick Fraterrigo
Brett Tenaglia
Landon Clary
Steven Schmitt
Saam Olexo
Matt Wright
Jake Titus
Will Mark
Zack Puckhaber
Mason Kohn

These guys are on pace to graduate, but redshirted a year:
Jackson Birtwistle
Tommy Drago
Nick Caccamo
Jack Witherspoon
Cadel Kol
Patrick Duffy
Owen Hiltz
Blake Erlbeck

Christian Mule
Michael Page
Max Rosa
Jake Stevens
Sam English
Nick Fraterrigo
Brett Tenaglia
Landon Clary
Steven Schmitt
Saam Olexo
Matt Wright
Jake Titus
Will Mark
Zack Puckhaber
Mason Kohn

Jackson Birtwistle
Tommy Drago
Nick Caccamo
Jack Witherspoon
Cadel Kol
Patrick Duffy
Owen Hiltz
Blake Erlbeck

English has 2 years of eligibility.
Kohn may have another year as well but I am unsure.

English has 2 years of eligibility.
Kohn may have another year as well but I am unsure.

English:
2020 Princeton (Played only 5 games)
2021 Covid (No Ivy LAX)
2022 Princeton
2023 Princeton (Played 9 games before his injury)
2024 Syracuse

If he can take 2020 as a redshirt, he's good for 2025.

Kohn:
2019-20 Tufts Hockey (DNP, knee injury)
2020-21 Covid
2021-22 Tufts Hockey and LAX
2022-23 Tufts Hockey and LAX
2024: Syracuse (just LAX). Slacker.

He can be good for 2025 too.

Christian Mule
Michael Page
Max Rosa
Jake Stevens
Sam English
Nick Fraterrigo
Brett Tenaglia
Landon Clary
Steven Schmitt
Saam Olexo
Matt Wright
Jake Titus
Will Mark
Zack Puckhaber
Mason Kohn

Jackson Birtwistle
Tommy Drago
Nick Caccamo
Jack Witherspoon
Cadel Kol
Patrick Duffy
Owen Hiltz
Blake Erlbeck
Need Birt to play two more full seasons and still not record an assist. Just need it to happen

English:
2020 Princeton (Played only 5 games)
2021 Covid (No Ivy LAX)
2022 Princeton
2023 Princeton (Played 9 games before his injury)
2024 Syracuse

If he can take 2020 as a redshirt, he's good for 2025.

Kohn:
2019-20 Tufts Hockey (DNP, knee injury)
2020-21 Covid
2021-22 Tufts Hockey and LAX
2022-23 Tufts Hockey and LAX
2024: Syracuse (just LAX). Slacker.

He can be good for 2025 too.

I think he was able to take RS in 2021 even though Princeton doesn't recognize it.