Recruiting: A fool’s errand | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Recruiting: A fool’s errand

It won’t stay at the level it was, this will lead to a free for all and the haves will have more while the rest will not. We will see 10 schools dominate and the rest will flounder. Does anyone really want to follow a team with zero chance
Weird take on a day a small school got a flip from a traditional power

Aside from Ewers and the Jackson St kid, how many others are being given 1m deals? Those are true blue chip kids that 999/1000 sure, we’d never have a shot at anyways.
I mean I never thought I’d see Tom Brady court side for a SU basketball game

As portal purgatory becomes a well known, I think it starts evening out.

Coaching style, and relationships with players , from 1 - pwo, will become more important than ever. (A good thing, imo) I have to think that teams with the healthiest environments lose the least.

I can see the old school yeller/insulter coach going bye bye. We old guys were used to that, and knew the insult was about our play(we would already be more insulted by our own mistakes), and it was not about our person. Kiddies aren't as used to that style.

Coaches can still be a hard arse on the field, but they are going to need to maintain the best possible relationships, right down to the last guy on the depth chart. This should be a given, anyways. Its harder to leave a team when coaches are loved from #1 - #10.

Instead of complaining? I think that's something that coaches can actually have some control over. It might even keep some kids from the portal.

With the emergence of NIL and the portal , schools like Syracuse don’t have a chance. A lot of resources are spent (time, money, effort) in recruiting kids. Syracuse has always ranked last, or close to it , in recruiting ratings since joining the ACC. Now that the best OL players can make 50k a year playing for Texas, or 1.5M playing for Deion Sanders, why wouldn’t they? And, if they do choose us, they can enter the portal without even playing a down. It’s a very sad state of affairs for CFB.

Go ahead and flame away
I love that the 1.5 Mil number came from a fake Adam "Schater" account that looked like Schefter's page so everyone assumed it was accurate.

It's a sad state of affairs that the players finally have a little control?

Mike McAllister tweeted a Dino quote, I dont have full context but the quote that was tweeted was
"we've got something extremely special. The education here is no joke."

That quote tells me we are bringing a knife to a gun fight today. Sure the academics are good but its not Ivy League or Stanford and its not 2010 anymore. Times are changing.

Aside from Ewers and the Jackson St kid, how many others are being given 1m deals? Those are true blue chip kids that 999/1000 sure, we’d never have a shot at anyways.

There’s been several. There was a link here a few weeks ago and that’s just the beginning. And the $50k for every OL is nuts and just the beginning.

Mike McAllister tweeted a Dino quote, I dont have full context but the quote that was tweeted was
"we've got something extremely special. The education here is no joke."

That quote tells me we are bringing a knife to a gun fight today. Sure the academics are good but its not Ivy League or Stanford and its not 2010 anymore. Times are changing.

I have no problem mentioning the education. It just might be important to some players or their parents.

Majority of guys you are talking about aren't realistic for us anyway. Bigger problem is that we are still getting out-recruited by teams like Indiana, Iowa State, Boston College, Purdue, Oregon State and others that are in the same tier as us without any major advantages. We aren't getting the number 1 kid or beating Texas for any O-lineman so all of that is basically irrelevant. We are getting smoked by peer programs for the 3rd tier kids and that's the actual problem.
We just flipped a transfer from Oregon State I think.

Weird take on a day a small school got a flip from a traditional power
You mean bought a flip from a traditional power that was handicapped by a nil law

If they can make 1.5 mil at Jackson state there is no reason with the right coach they can’t make that in Syracuse

This is where Syracuse needs to reach out to Adam Weitsman and have him touch base with his contacts about getting kids dollars and offering them bags to come to Cuse.

It’s just up to Cuse if they want to get into this game or not
That’s absurd

That’s absurd

What’s absurd?

The fact that going to Jackson State gave him millions

Or the fact that Syracuse could do similar?

I don’t think it’s absurd to think that one of our donors or advertising agencies steps up and pays a kid to do it?

I dont have a problem either, im just showing that were not in the same league or be able to keep up

I agree. Use any advantage or sales pitch you have in your arsenal.

Also,

Is there anything from stopping say, syracusefan.com or any other Cuse site from pooling money and doing the something similar to attract a recruit?

seems like the begining of the end to me. not sure how it will be sustainable. If college sports are just professional feeders then it would seem that leagues that cut out the academics or the pretense of academics would eventually win out in the end. I know it is the affiliation that makes fans fervent but part of the affiliation is that "I was a student there, they are students there." That will pretty much go away. Also, no one is talking about non-revenue sports (most sports) and how they will be affected. I don't have the answers but just don't have a good feeling about all the new money. As a former college athlete, I was ecstatic to get an athletic grant.

I'm not an expert in NIL, but this doesn't sound accurate.

Barstool did it to break the system. I am sure that contract is driven by contingencies.

I'm not an expert in NIL, but this doesn't sound accurate.

They only gave him the contract if he went to Jackson St. because of Barstools connections with Deion Sanders

Fools errand? Nah...more like one of the most important duties of a college football coach. Other than his own knowledge and that of his coaches and their ability to transfer that knowledge, it is his most important duty. Underdogs do not win as often as favorites do. Recruiting services are like gambling sites. They are just giving an informed(?) opinion on the odds of success for each player. Dino has not done anything to improve SU's recruiting. His job on the QB position alone is grounds for termination in my opinion.
But even with SU's struggles in recruiting I believe Dino and his staff have done a good job on the transfer of knowledge part of their job. Dino's biggest problem is not recruiting or teaching/coaching the players. His biggest problem is he consistently is out coached on game day. The talent and performance of the players this season should have resulted in a bowl game. Dino is the primary reason they are not in one. Just my opinion of course, I could be wrong. LGO!

With the emergence of NIL and the portal , schools like Syracuse don’t have a chance. A lot of resources are spent (time, money, effort) in recruiting kids. Syracuse has always ranked last, or close to it , in recruiting ratings since joining the ACC. Now that the best OL players can make 50k a year playing for Texas, or 1.5M playing for Deion Sanders, why wouldn’t they? And, if they do choose us, they can enter the portal without even playing a down. It’s a very sad state of affairs for CFB.

Go ahead and flame away
My sense is that the big NIL money tends to be directed at high-profile, 5 Star recruits, for whom Syracuse has never been a major destination.

They only gave him the contract if he went to Jackson St. because of Barstools connections with Deion Sanders

Ok. I guess it was just your wording that threw me off.

Win games

Cincy’s about to pull in a top 35 class.

There’s zero reason why our staff shouldn’t be able to recruit on par with peer p5’s.

Win games.

We cannot use the “oh well we’re a private Northeastern school going up against the big dogs” as a crutch.

Winning products, good education and a solid staff bring in recruits.

We’ll likely never compete with Bama, Georgia, Clemson etc.., but you can probably count on two hands those that can.

No reason we can’t compete in the next level of teams, at least from time to time.

Just depends on how the university and our donors want to approach this.

Miami found a couple rich dudes and woke up last week with enough money to buy out Diaz and pay Cristobal.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom