Recruiting: A fool’s errand | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Recruiting: A fool’s errand

If the rules remain the same that guys can only transfer once (and they actually enforce it), I'm ready to basically go full portal.

You mean bought a flip from a traditional power that was handicapped by a nil law
It doesn't matter if your take was "this will only benefit like 10 schools"

FL new law prob wouldn't have helped unless FSU was willing to pony up above what was the rumored amount with Deion

If the rules remain the same that guys can only transfer once (and they actually enforce it), I'm ready to basically go full portal.
I think this is an important factor that ppl are missing.

I agree. Use any advantage or sales pitch you have in your arsenal.

Also,

Is there anything from stopping say, syracusefan.com or any other Cuse site from pooling money and doing the something similar to attract a recruit?

You want to hire a football player to advertise our tailgates?

My sense is that the big NIL money tends to be directed at high-profile, 5 Star recruits, for whom Syracuse has never been a major destination.
NIL money don't care about major destinations from pre-NIL days

little tongue in cheek - but I think if we had a kid we really wanted and we convinced major donors to play, we could grab a kid we'd normally not

Miami found a couple rich dudes and woke up last week with enough money to buy out Diaz and pay Cristobal.

They also "found" money from the U-Health system, which has made a TON of money over the past two years.

you guys keep repeating something from a parody account FYI.

do I think barstool could be involved in some way? Probably. But the 1.5 mil is literally from a fake Twitter account

What’s absurd?

The fact that going to Jackson State gave him millions

Or the fact that Syracuse could do similar?

I don’t think it’s absurd to think that one of our donors or advertising agencies steps up and pays a kid to do it?
what Similar, nature of work or compensation?

kids are already doing local radio hits. Kids are free to make licensing deals. they can charge for public appearances, autograph shows. The market value for all that might be five figures.

Well Mr Sanders stunt with barstool so pissed off Florida State, they already have proposed NIL regulations in the Florida State House.
Free Shoes University going apoplectic b/c a great recruit went to an HBCU.

Sad.

He'll almost certainly get a better education at Jackson State as well.

I’m out on that type of business. I don’t want to get my hopes up about Syracuse playing in that world.

I went to Syracuse for an education. If the school doesn’t want to run a professional athletics dept I’m ok w that. This is all crazy now

I'll go one step further: if they do want to continue down that path, that's the end of my involvement as an alum, regardless of my AD participation.

NIL money don't care about major destinations from pre-NIL days

little tongue in cheek - but I think if we had a kid we really wanted and we convinced major donors to play, we could grab a kid we'd normally not
lol so you think weitsman and co are going to buy su a team. Good luck with that. We can’t even get enough donars to change out the benches in the dome and build a sports complex… but sure let’s go around begging for them to buy a qb. If you’re thought process was even remotely close they would have bought out Dino’s contract and ponied up for a top tier coach. Keep dreaming.

You want to hire a football player to advertise our tailgates?
I'd bet someone could lock that in for $500. Shrader tossing a couple busch lights and coneys at someone.

I know someone here is going to say he'd miss the target...don't.

lol so you think weitsman and co are going to buy su a team. Good luck with that. We can’t even get enough donars to change out the benches in the dome and build a sports complex… but sure let’s go around begging for them to buy a qb. If you’re thought process was even remotely close they would have bought out Dino’s contract and ponied up for a top tier coach. Keep dreaming.
Putting words in my mouth and guessing at what I mean is a silly way to have a conversation.

Re-read the post I responded to. Come back. now read this:

What I'm saying: That we've not been players for 5* kids prior to NIL doesn't preclude our participation with 5* in the NIL era. The thing that kept us from those players prior to NIL were things we could not change easily (maybe we didn't want to cheat as much as an SEC team, maybe kids didn't want to come north to a snowy region, maybe our locker rooms weren't swaggy enough, etc). It appears that NIL allows you to swim in pools you couldn't - if - you can find a booster type who wants to play.

What I'm not saying: that it will happen. I'm saying NIL makes it *more* possible by making it legal. And money can overcome some of our other deficiencies - if - it happens.

Don't confuse what's possible with what's probable.

To be fair, Weitsman did buy the Boeheims Army team that won the TBT….

seems like the begining of the end to me. not sure how it will be sustainable. If college sports are just professional feeders then it would seem that leagues that cut out the academics or the pretense of academics would eventually win out in the end. I know it is the affiliation that makes fans fervent but part of the affiliation is that "I was a student there, they are students there." That will pretty much go away. Also, no one is talking about non-revenue sports (most sports) and how they will be affected. I don't have the answers but just don't have a good feeling about all the new money. As a former college athlete, I was ecstatic to get an athletic grant.
COLLEGE SPORTS HAVE ALWAYS BEEN PROFESSIONAL FOR EVERYONE BUT THE ATHLETES.

Syracuse is done. They won’t pay out a coaches contract with 5/6 losing seasons why does anyone expect them to get into the gun for hire business in sports. Nil and the portal will destroy small schools. Our days of p5 sports is numbered. Leaving the student athlete model is going to kill the sports we love. What needs to happen is a minor league level to come out of this and let the players who are good enough to play in it go there and let the rest go to school and play sports. I’m okay with the drop off as long as college sports go back to how it was.
If anything I think the portal will help schools like Syracuse. It will allow us to flip poor rosters pretty easily.

The problem we do have is not being able to compete with some of these NIL "salaries" being given out and how far behind we are in the arms race. Once the $150m project is finally completed, which is great, but hate to say it, we would just then be somewhat coming close to matching what other P5 schools have already had and would most likely be adding to at that point. For example take a look at South Carolina's facilities. We don't have anything that is in the same stratosphere. I believe area's like sports medicine and training room should be paid for by the school and not dependent on private donations. I'm in our training room a lot and what we have now is bottom barrel in comparison to other programs. I'm not saying the trainers and staff are bad because they are amazing, it's just simple things like that where you walk into Syracuse's small, antiquated facility, and then see these others and you can only imagine what these kids think.

If we are serious about this we need the entire university to buy in. From there we need to get the community to buy in and it's not going to happen with Babers military intelligence handling of the program and their access to the community. How bad could it be if you open things up and engage with the community. You go to games and you see a lot of middle age to older fans who are probably hold overs from when football was fun at Syracuse. We need the young kids to buy in and it's not going to happen with how things are being run right now. What's the worst that can happen if you open up spring practice and have a spring game, or give media access to some of the staff and players.

We need a complete overhaul and a vision, and it has to happen now before it's too late forever.

I agree. Use any advantage or sales pitch you have in your arsenal.

Also,

Is there anything from stopping say, syracusefan.com or any other Cuse site from pooling money and doing the something similar to attract a recruit?
CASH Fund presented by Syracusefan.com

Cuse Athletic SHare Fund

Community, donors, alumni can contribute or earmark money to individual athletes, position groups, programs, student athlete initiatives, etc.

Only once without sitting. They can still transfer a second time, just have to sit.

Could the university buy parts of the empty destiny mall wings and use that for the sports complex? Plenty of space. Save the rest of the $150M for the new staff.

They could move into Shoppingtown.

It's a pretty long walk if you're a freshman and you don't have a car.
Shoppingtown is just an abandoned warehouse. At least destiny still has some entertainment options for the players. Shrader could be mall greeter. And Dino could have a whole movie theater to himself.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom