Recruiting Excitement Quiz..... | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Recruiting Excitement Quiz.....

I love this quiz, because it mirrors what I do every year. I like to rank each recruit SU gets on a scale from 1 -10. I've done it with every recruit since '02. Its fun to see how things turn out relative to my expectations.

Here is the scale I go by. 1 & 2's are bad back ups who I think will be an off the court disaster for some reason. 3 &4's are bad back ups. 5's are good back ups or bad starters. 6's are guys who will eventually become good starters. 7's are good starters. 8's are perfect fits for SU's system. 9's are special recruits capable of taking us to a different level. 10's are once in a generation type recruits.

For this class I have:

Roberson - 8 - He is the kind of long athletic forward that makes the SU system work.

Gbinije - 7 - Boeheim doesn't take many chances on transfers. Odds are he will be good for us.

McCullough - 7 - He's more of a 6.5 in my mind but if I have to put him in a group, I have to go with a 7. If I thought he'd be here two years I'd have him as a 9 but for a one and done, 7 sounds right.

Ennis - 6 - I have not been overly impressed with what I've seen of him (dont think he's athletic enough) but I have not seen him play yet this year and he seems to be tearing it up, plus the staff is high on him and that's enough for me. I still worry about his ability to contribute from day 1 though.

Patterson - 6 - With his length and his ability to shoot the ball I think he will be great at the top of our zone, but it might take him a few years to round into form.

Obokoh - 5 - Not sure I see him as a long term starter, but I think he might be an exceptional back up center (which is a vital role on any team) in the mold of a rich man's Keita.

For perspective, last year I had Coleman as a 9 - I still think he's going to be a monster for us, and Grant as an 8 (although if I was ranking I would place Grant ahead of Roberson). The year before I had Carter-Williams as a 9 (If I was ranking he would be ahead of Coleman), Christmas as a 7, and Cooney as a 6.

BJ Johnson?

I love this quiz, because it mirrors what I do every year. I like to rank each recruit SU gets on a scale from 1 -10. I've done it with every recruit since '02. Its fun to see how things turn out relative to my expectations.

Here is the scale I go by. 1 & 2's are bad back ups who I think will be an off the court disaster for some reason. 3 &4's are bad back ups. 5's are good back ups or bad starters. 6's are guys who will eventually become good starters. 7's are good starters. 8's are perfect fits for SU's system. 9's are special recruits capable of taking us to a different level. 10's are once in a generation type recruits.

For this class I have:

Roberson - 8 - He is the kind of long athletic forward that makes the SU system work.

Gbinije - 7 - Boeheim doesn't take many chances on transfers. Odds are he will be good for us.

McCullough - 7 - He's more of a 6.5 in my mind but if I have to put him in a group, I have to go with a 7. If I thought he'd be here two years I'd have him as a 9 but for a one and done, 7 sounds right.

Ennis - 6 - I have not been overly impressed with what I've seen of him (dont think he's athletic enough) but I have not seen him play yet this year and he seems to be tearing it up, plus the staff is high on him and that's enough for me. I still worry about his ability to contribute from day 1 though.

Patterson - 6 - With his length and his ability to shoot the ball I think he will be great at the top of our zone, but it might take him a few years to round into form.

Obokoh - 5 - Not sure I see him as a long term starter, but I think he might be an exceptional back up center (which is a vital role on any team) in the mold of a rich man's Keita.

For perspective, last year I had Coleman as a 9 - I still think he's going to be a monster for us, and Grant as an 8 (although if I was ranking I would place Grant ahead of Roberson). The year before I had Carter-Williams as a 9 (If I was ranking he would be ahead of Coleman), Christmas as a 7, and Cooney as a 6.

BJ Johnson? Your homework is incomplete.

1. BJ - By far it is BJ for me for two reasons (1) because I live very close to Lower Merion SD and (2) because I have really appreciated all of the information that his Dad has posted and having the opportunity to see the back and forth with him on here.
2. Mike G --
3. Ennis --
4. McCullough
5. Patterson
6. Roberson
7. Chino

BJ Johnson? Your homework is incomplete.

How could I forget? BJ is the kind of forward I love, the tall rangy forward who can also shoot it. He fits Syracuse's system perfectly the way Grant and Roberson do, but because his game is more perimeter oriented than theirs he can play with them defensively and Syracuse can still space the court the way they want to offensively. Past experience with these kind of players (Nichols, Southerland, Shumpert, even Wes Johnson at Iowa St.) shows that it usually takes them a year or two to find their shot, but once they do they become invaluable. Its really tough for college D's to stop a 6'7 or 6'8 player when he's feeling it from deep.

Ive got BJ as a 7. He is going to have to wait his turn as a freshman because Syracuse will be stacked with veteran wing talent (Fair, Grant, Gbinije) but by his Jr. year my guess is he becomes one of the most important players on the team. One of the reasons I have him as a 7 and not a 6 is because his handle is better than any of the shooters I mentioned above. That will help ease the transition in my opinion.

My ranking would go like this:

Roberson
Gbinije
McCullough
Johnson
Ennis
Patterson
Obokoh

How could I forget? BJ is the kind of forward I love, the tall rangy forward who can also shoot it. He fits Syracuse's system perfectly the way Grant and Roberson do, but because his game is more perimeter oriented than theirs he can play with them defensively and Syracuse can still space the court the way they want to offensively. Past experience with these kind of players (Nichols, Southerland, Shumpert, even Wes Johnson at Iowa St.) shows that it usually takes them a year or two to find their shot, but once they do they become invaluable. Its really tough for college D's to stop a 6'7 or 6'8 player when he's feeling it from deep.

Ive got BJ as a 7. He is going to have to wait his turn as a freshman because Syracuse will be stacked with veteran wing talent (Fair, Grant, Gbinije) but by his Jr. year my guess is he becomes one of the most important players on the team. One of the reasons I have him as a 7 and not a 6 is because his handle is better than any of the shooters I mentioned above. That will help ease the transition in my opinion.

My ranking would go like this:

Roberson
Gbinije
McCullough
Johnson
Ennis
Patterson
Obokoh

If Ennis does turn out to be a "good starter at some point in the future" type of recruit, Syracuse could be in for a rough season in 2013-2014.

We're loaded (unless we see a lot of defections or injuries) in the front court, but probably only returning Cooney and Gbinije to play guard. If Ennis or one of those two isn't able to capably direct the offense right off the bat, challenging for the ACC title will be difficult. That'd be an unfortunate waste of a very talented group of forwards and bigs.

I just watched McCullough live. He is great.
1. McCullough
2. Ennis
3. Roberson
4. Gbinije
5. Johnson
6. Obokoh
7. Patterson..saw him too. Not impressed

I just watched McCullough live. He is great.
1. McCullough
2. Ennis
3. Roberson
4. Gbinije
5. Johnson
6. Obokoh
7. Patterson..saw him too. Not impressed
in person?

in person?
its clear we need a dependable center for the team. Thus far DC2 isn't showing anything. Just how much time does he get to show his potential out there? He sure isn't showing anything in rebounding. His points are far and few between and sometimes just damn lucky they fall in the cylinder.:rolleyes:

If Ennis does turn out to be a "good starter at some point in the future" type of recruit, Syracuse could be in for a rough season in 2013-2014.

We're loaded (unless we see a lot of defections or injuries) in the front court, but probably only returning Cooney and Gbinije to play guard. If Ennis or one of those two isn't able to capably direct the offense right off the bat, challenging for the ACC title will be difficult. That'd be an unfortunate waste of a very talented group of forwards and bigs.
I am unsure why people are so high on MJ. He couldn't get off the bench at Duke. Why will he be better here? Anyone have anything other than "hunches" or "feelings" at this point? I don't mean to "dis" the kid. I'd just like to know.

I am unsure why people are so high on MJ. He couldn't get off the bench at Duke. Why will he be better here? Anyone have anything other than "hunches" or "feelings" at this point? I don't mean to "dis" the kid. I'd just like to know.
Talked to people that are at practice everyday. Say he is as good as BT

its clear we need a dependable center for the team. Thus far DC2 isn't showing anything. Just how much time does he get to show his potential out there? He sure isn't showing anything in rebounding. His points are far and few between and sometimes just damn lucky they fall in the cylinder.:rolleyes:
I don't know why i bother but frosh big guys take time. DC wioll be very good here.

yes. In spfd., mass Walked by Huggy and said hey Bob. Was tempted to say Millhouse says hi.
you didn't bother to offer him a drink? What was Mccullough able to do? perimeter shots?

you didn't bother to offer him a drink? What was Mccullough able to do? perimeter shots?
edowd. He is great. Handles the ball like a guard. Sweet stroke. runs the floor. Only thing he didn'
t do was hit a 3. Did take a couple and looked okay. Guy behind me says, he hits those, he is unguardable. We have a gem. Saw nothing from Patterson. Doubt he ever plays much here.

edowd. He is great. Handles the ball like a guard. Sweet stroke. runs the floor. Only thing he didn'
t do was hit a 3. Did take a couple and looked okay. Guy behind me says, he hits those, he is unguardable. We have a gem. Saw nothing from Patterson. Doubt he ever plays much here.
I'm stoked about McCullough. I saw a game where Patterson was playing well on the interwebz (live feed).

Thanks for the info. Psyched for McCullough too, but please don't give up on Patterson yet, especially if he plays hard defense and learns from the guys playing in front of him.

Speaking of defense, around 1:01 mark and on.

Thanks for the info. Psyched for McCullough too, but please don't give up on Patterson yet, especially if he plays hard defense and learns from the guys playing in front of him.

Speaking of defense, around 1:01 mark and on.
I think the defense is what got him a ship.

He's definitally showing us something different the last couple games in limited minutes. He is getting it in defense and being slightly more agressive in offense. I'd bet per minute this season he is our best rebounder.

Coleman is a role player this season, similar to Rak last year and many other freshmen who have played for Boeheim. I expect/hope we see some improvement as the season goes on but doubt it will be major strides. I like that he is being given some opportunities to develop his game and isn't just buried at the end of the bench. I think his decision to stay in upstate NY and play for his local high school, as opposed to an Oak Hill or NE prep school probably delayed his development.

I love this quiz, because it mirrors what I do every year. I like to rank each recruit SU gets on a scale from 1 -10. I've done it with every recruit since '02. Its fun to see how things turn out relative to my expectations. ...

This is an interesting idea. My only quibble with the system is that it can tend to underrate kids who are 5's and 6's in a day and age where a 9 or 10 is almost certainly gone after a year, maybe two. And you could lose a fair number of 8s as well. Meanwhile, kids who have a fair amount of talent and stick around can be invaluable.

For example, CJ Fair, as a 3-star, probably wouldn't have warranted more than maybe a 6? in the system. Yet, he's going to be close to 1,000 points and probably north of 500 rebounds with a full year left. He's obvioulsy brought immeasurable value despite being a lesser player -- generally -- than Waiters, Fab as a soph or MCW.

And it's not like Fair is alone in this distinction -- Keita has really nice value as a solid backup frontcourt player, BT a solid four-year guy, Rautins was excellent ...

And, conversely, some of those 8s/9s can do some damage -- a guy like Fab being way out of shape in year 1, then deciding to bag class in year 2. Waiters being a bit out of shape in year 1, telling the coach to f off and then nearly transferring or leaving before we saw his brilliant soph season. Donte Greene was a nice player but we really never saw him with a hint of polish to his game ...

So, I'm not really trashing the system -- and I think it's actually fun and far more worthwhile than stars. But it's tough to rate hoops players b/c you can't win with a roster of 5s and while you're talented, it's still tough to manage a roster of 9s/10s.

This is an interesting idea. My only quibble with the system is that it can tend to underrate kids who are 5's and 6's in a day and age where a 9 or 10 is almost certainly gone after a year, maybe two. And you could lose a fair number of 8s as well. Meanwhile, kids who have a fair amount of talent and stick around can be invaluable.

For example, CJ Fair, as a 3-star, probably wouldn't have warranted more than maybe a 6? in the system. Yet, he's going to be close to 1,000 points and probably north of 500 rebounds with a full year left. He's obvioulsy brought immeasurable value despite being a lesser player -- generally -- than Waiters, Fab as a soph or MCW.

And it's not like Fair is alone in this distinction -- Keita has really nice value as a solid backup frontcourt player, BT a solid four-year guy, Rautins was excellent ...

And, conversely, some of those 8s/9s can do some damage -- a guy like Fab being way out of shape in year 1, then deciding to bag class in year 2. Waiters being a bit out of shape in year 1, telling the coach to f off and then nearly transferring or leaving before we saw his brilliant soph season. Donte Greene was a nice player but we really never saw him with a hint of polish to his game ...

So, I'm not really trashing the system -- and I think it's actually fun and far more worthwhile than stars. But it's tough to rate hoops players b/c you can't win with a roster of 5s and while you're talented, it's still tough to manage a roster of 9s/10s.

Everything you are saying is true. But my rankings dont follow the star system at all. I take into account when I think they will go pro and how good I think they will be before they leave.

McCullough for example is only a 7, even though his star ranking should make him a 9. That is because I think he's only going to be around a year, and though I think it will be a good year I dont think it will be an elite year.

Here are some rankings of some of the other people you mentioned (remember this is my evaluation of them as high school prospects and has nothing to do with how they actually performed at SU, some I hit the nail on the head on, and others I was way off).

I had Fair as an 8. He didn't have a lot of stars but I was a huge fan of his game in high school. I thought then (and still think now) he could have been a McDonalds All American if he hadn't hurt his knee.

I had both Waiters and Melo as 8's as well. I thought they fit SU's system perfectly and I turned out to be right about that. Obviously I did not foresee Melo's off the court problems.

MCW I had at a 9. Absolutely loved his game coming out of school and I thought he would be a huge difference maker here. I didn't expect him to play as a freshman, but if I'm being honest I thought he would be better than he is now as a sophomore. The year is still young though.

Keita I had as a 5. I expected him to be a good solid back up, but never a starter.

Triche I had as a 6. I had him at an 8 before his knee injury, but I thought he took a major step backwards when that happened. He did start his freshman year, but did not play starters minutes, eventually becoming a very good starter for us. I think he lived up to that ranking.

Rautins I had as an 8. He, like Fair, was a low ranked guy I was very high on. Same with Onuaku. That was my favorite recruiting class. I had both Rautins and Onuaku as 8's and Devendorf as a 9.

Donte Greene I had as a 9. Quite frankly, I thought he was going to say two years. If he did I think he would have earned the ranking. As a one year player, he didn't.

I have every SU recruit since '02 ranked this way. Its fun to see which ones pan out and which dont.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom