Recruiting Excitement Quiz..... | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Recruiting Excitement Quiz.....

MCW I had at a 9. Absolutely loved his game coming out of school and I thought he would be a huge difference maker here. I didn't expect him to play as a freshman, but if I'm being honest I thought he would be better than he is now as a sophomore. The year is still young though.

Keita I had as a 5. I expected him to be a good solid back up, but never a starter.

Triche I had as a 6. I had him at an 8 before his knee injury, but I thought he took a major step backwards when that happened. He did start his freshman year, but did not play starters minutes, eventually becoming a very good starter for us. I think he lived up to that ranking.

Rautins I had as an 8. He, like Fair, was a low ranked guy I was very high on. Same with Onuaku. That was my favorite recruiting class. I had both Rautins and Onuaku as 8's and Devendorf as a 9.

Donte Greene I had as a 9. Quite frankly, I thought he was going to say two years. If he did I think he would have earned the ranking. As a one year player, he didn't.

I have every SU recruit since '02 ranked this way. Its fun to see which ones pan out and which dont.

Interesting. I like it. I don't actually do it with any sort of scale but I usually like to see a mix. Like I have no idea if Patterson or Obokoh will do much here, but I do like the idea of having some hard-working kids with some upside that will -- unless they are disasters off the court -- be here for four years.

Some comments on you rankings for whatever they're worth:

-- shocked you had rautins at 8. I liked him from day 1 but was pretty surprised he got a scholly at the time. I hadn't seen him play much, obviously.

-- I'm in full agreement that Greene would have been unstoppable as a soph had he added maybe one or two moves in the post. Basically anything that got him inside of 15 feet from time to time.

-- I agree Keita's no more than a backup but I think he's a really valuable guy. That's why I have a hard time saying he's a '5' and Xmas is an '8' or something. I know Christmas is a starter and much more talented and, frankly, better. But having an unselfish, team-first hustle guy with some legit talent off the bench is such a luxury.

-- It's crazy to say this but I thought MCW would be better this year as well. That's not really a criticism b/c he's been pretty impressive, but I thought he'd be a bit better in the decision-making department.

-- Out of curiosity, where did you have paul harris?

Interesting. I like it. I don't actually do it with any sort of scale but I usually like to see a mix. Like I have no idea if Patterson or Obokoh will do much here, but I do like the idea of having some hard-working kids with some upside that will -- unless they are disasters off the court -- be here for four years.

Some comments on you rankings for whatever they're worth:

-- shocked you had rautins at 8. I liked him from day 1 but was pretty surprised he got a scholly at the time. I hadn't seen him play much, obviously.

-- I'm in full agreement that Greene would have been unstoppable as a soph had he added maybe one or two moves in the post. Basically anything that got him inside of 15 feet from time to time.

-- I agree Keita's no more than a backup but I think he's a really valuable guy. That's why I have a hard time saying he's a '5' and Xmas is an '8' or something. I know Christmas is a starter and much more talented and, frankly, better. But having an unselfish, team-first hustle guy with some legit talent off the bench is such a luxury.u

-- It's crazy to say this but I thought MCW would be better this year as well. That's not really a criticism b/c he's been pretty impressive, but I thought he'd be a bit better in the decision-making department.

-- Out of curiosity, where did you have paul harris?

I was much higher on Rautins than most. I never saw him as a forward which he played out of necessity. I thought his length would be great on the top of our zone, I knew he was a great shootee, and I knew he was a tougher player than he looked.

For the record I had Christmas as a 7, I see him as a good player who is a bit of a tweener. I had Harris as a 7 too for the same reasons. Size plays a big part in my rankings. I think SUs system needs height to operate and I take points off for being short.

I can probably explain my thought process better than I have.

A 10 I expect to be one of the best players in the country as a freshman. Since 02 when I started this, Anthony is the only guy Ive tiven a 10 to.

A 9 I expect to be one of the best players in the country as a sophomore. This is why I said McCullough would have been a 9 if I expexted him to stay a second year. The only 9s Ive given are MCW, Greene, Devendorf and Dajuan Coleman.

8s tend to be the long athletic forwards that make our system go. Fair, Joseph, Southeralnd, and Grant were all 8s. It can also go to a guard or big guy who I think will thrive in the zoe like Waiters or Fab.

7s are more often than not very talented players who I see some issue with. Flynn was a 7 because her was short. Harris and Christmas were 7s because they were tweeners in SUs system. McCulloigh is a seven because I think hes gone after one year and BJ is a 7 because I think he is a perfect fit for our zone like an 8 but I think he will have to sit for a year or two like a 6 so I split the difference. Im pretty sure those are the only 7s Ive ever given.

6s are players I think will develop into good players after a few years. There are a lot of 6s. Jackson and Jardine were both 6s. I gave McNamara a 6 which was obviously too low, and Mike Jones a 6 which is obviously too high.

5s are guys I think will be either good back ups like Keita or bad starters like Roberts who I did not like at all coming out of high school.

4s are guys that I think will be rather poor for us. Goreman and mookie jones were both 4s

I honestly cant remember if I made Sean Williams a 3 or 4. But I know Ive never ranked any SU recruit yet a 1 or 2.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom