Recruiting Hawaii | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Recruiting Hawaii

Yes, it was three top 100 players
Travel time is 10 hours and 8 minutes, plus any layovers you might have.
Cost I could not tell as I don't have access to what the University uses for travel services
We have ACC money now, HCDB plus 9 other coaches. Plenty of time and money to visit 3 top 100 players.

Visiting a player at FM is a waste of time if you don't think the kid wants to come, or you don't really want him on your roster.

If you are building a strong relationship with a kid anywhere in the world, and you want him on your roster bad enough, no trip is a waste of time if you think an in-home either gives you an edge or closes the deal.

When you can visit 3 big time kids you want in the same general location? Then it's not a waste of a trip.

Wait...we are worried about in-home visits? Those visits can't happen until Dec.-January of the prospects Senior year. I would think the coaches would have a pretty good idea by then if a kid was serious about Syracuse.

What's the price of a stamp?
I'm sure the school has unlimited minutes on their cell phones, when the time comes (which it hasn't) I'm sure they will make smart choices for in home visits.

Not to mention the kids can see the school with those virtual robots. With video technology the coaches don't have to do visits until they determine how serious the young man is.

Not to mention the kids can see the school with those virtual robots. With video technology the coaches don't have to do visits until they determine how serious the young man is.
Plus Isaia is already living in Nevada and Tagovailoa is moving to Alabama. For all we know the others that have been offered may have plans to attend a school on the mainland also.

Yes, it was three top 100 players
Travel time is 10 hours and 8 minutes, plus any layovers you might have.
Cost I could not tell as I don't have access to what the University uses for travel services
We have ACC money now, HCDB plus 9 other coaches. Plenty of time and money to visit 3 top 100 players.
Its called a boon doogle

You think it's a good use of time for a Syracuse coach to do an in home with a Hawaiian player? What's the travel time and cost associated with that trip?

This is shortsighted. IF a coach goes out for a home visit you act like the coach can't also see talent first in the midwest, mountain west, west coast, hawaii, and hit more spots coming home.

Not a waste of time, lets get our aces to Samoa as well.

This is shortsighted. IF a coach goes out for a home visit you act like the coach can't also see talent first in the midwest, mountain west, west coast, hawaii, and hit more spots coming home.
It's still a 10 hour round trip flight from San Fran to Hawaii! It's not like stopping in Rochester on the way home from Buffalo.

My perspective: it doesn't hurt to toss out offers. There's very little invested in tossing an offer to some top 100 guys from Hawaii. I doubt anyone on the staff is putting their eggs in the basket of counting on commitments to these kids, so I don't see it distracting/messing up their efforts elsewhere. Maybe try to sell Dino's connection to Hawaii and the unique system run by Syracuse and see what happens. There's obviously a major headwind given the distance/climate, similar to what Syracuse faces in places like Texas. Unlike Texas, however, P-5 level recruits in Hawaii basically know they have to go a great distance from home to play. Once you know you are a long flight away from home, the prospect of a 6 hour flight vs. a 10 hour flight isn't so great. That willingness to travel may make the Hawaii recruit a bit more willing to head as far east as Syracuse?

You toss out an offer and see if there is any reciprocal interest. If there is, you put in some time to develop the relationship over phone/skype/chat/etc. Only if things progress and there is serious interest do you even have to consider the logistics and cost/benefit of any kind of in home visit. If you get to the point where that is a feasibly good use of time, lots of things have gone right.

We don't have any insight into what is going through HCDB's head, but this is his job, shouldn't he have the right to decide how to use his resources? Maybe he's got a shot at one or all of these kids? Maybe there's a connection to one or all of the schools and they want to build their connections to those schools? Maybe there's other reasons? Maybe it's just me, but the guy seems to know what he's doing. He's got a reason and a plan for pretty much everything from what I've seen/read/heard. I'm good with letting him make these decisions. Besides, flying to Hawaii (including car/hotel) isn't going to really impact their overall recruiting budget.
Just my opinion, but this is a non-issue.

After growing up on an island a billion miles from mainland USA, being 4 hours from NYC probably sounds alright.

There is no harm in an offer. If you get a bite, you spend a bit of time on phone/social.

They added a bunch of recruiting staff for a reason.

My perspective: it doesn't hurt to toss out offers. There's very little invested in tossing an offer to some top 100 guys from Hawaii. I doubt anyone on the staff is putting their eggs in the basket of counting on commitments to these kids, so I don't see it distracting/messing up their efforts elsewhere. Maybe try to sell Dino's connection to Hawaii and the unique system run by Syracuse and see what happens. There's obviously a major headwind given the distance/climate, similar to what Syracuse faces in places like Texas. Unlike Texas, however, P-5 level recruits in Hawaii basically know they have to go a great distance from home to play. Once you know you are a long flight away from home, the prospect of a 6 hour flight vs. a 10 hour flight isn't so great. That willingness to travel may make the Hawaii recruit a bit more willing to head as far east as Syracuse?

You toss out an offer and see if there is any reciprocal interest. If there is, you put in some time to develop the relationship over phone/skype/chat/etc. Only if things progress and there is serious interest do you even have to consider the logistics and cost/benefit of any kind of in home visit. If you get to the point where that is a feasibly good use of time, lots of things have gone right.

Exactly how I feel but you said it much more intelligently that I would have. Doesn't hurt a thing to toss out an offer and see what develops from it.

I seem to recall that same argument about recruiting Texas and other southern states.
No comparison really. Texas has a ton of talent. Hawaii, not so much. Plus the expense of going to Hawaii is extremely high. Texas, not so much. This is a wasted effort unless there is a kid that really like ssyracuse for some reason.

No comparison really. Texas has a ton of talent. Hawaii, not so much. Plus the expense of going to Hawaii is extremely high. Texas, not so much. This is a wasted effort unless there is a kid that really like ssyracuse for some reason.
What have we wasted? A phone call to a coach, maybe a letter or two? How are we still arguing about this? We haven't done in homes one of the three kids is already on the mainland and I wouldn't be surprised if they all don't end on the mainland for their senior year. Once our coaches actually fly over to Hawaii for an in home we can second guess them.

Again...Hawaii is loaded with talent relative to the population. Same amount of D1 players as the entire state of NY, yet the entire population is 1.9 million. Then there is the island of Samoa with a population the size of Syracuse, but with 200 D1 players, and 30 players in the NFL. The talent is there in both places. If there is so much talent in such a small population, the level of competition is extremely high among the schools out there.

You offer the kids now so that when they come to the mainland their junior/senior years you've already built that connection. There's no extra effort to call/text kids from Hawaii that's any different from call/texting a kid from NY.

You offer the kids now so that when they come to the mainland their junior/senior years you've already built that connection. There's no extra effort to call/text kids from Hawaii that's any different from call/texting a kid from NY.
How about going to meet with them? Their parents?

In homes don't happen usually until after their senior season. I think everyone would know if things were serious by then.
finishing second for a kid isn't a killer but I think it would be if you flew all the way to Hawaii for him.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom