Recruiting Hawaii | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Recruiting Hawaii

finishing second for a kid isn't a killer but I think it would be if you flew all the way to Hawaii for him.
Not all these kids stay in Hawaii. They are like the Canadian kids and move to the states to compete.

Well then, I would consider them mainland kids.
But you're saying we're wasting time offering hawaiian sophomores that might become mainland kids so I don't get your point?

Overall, they average the same amount of D1 players per year, as NY. However, Hawaii has a population of only 1.3 million. NY has a population of 19.7 million. So while they don't put out a ton of talent, they may be, per capita, the most talented state when it comes to producing D1 talent. It would also indicate that with such a concentration of D1 athletes in such a small area, that the level of competition is pretty impressive. Similarly, the Island of Samoa which has a population of 190,000, has 30 players in the NFL, and 200 playing division 1 football. A Samoan male, is 50 times more likely to be drafted into the NFL, than an non Samoan American. So imagine a city, not much bigger than Syracuse having 30 players in the NFL, and 200 playing D1 football. That would be some pretty insanely fertile recruiting territory.

Where do college football players come from? - Football Study Hall

How Can Tiny Samoa Dominate The NFL?
Always keep on the good side of a Samoan dude.

When I first posted, I did not know that some (many?) Hawaiian kids move to the mainland for at least one year of school. But here is what I was thinking.

Did DFB recruit Hawaiian kids at BGSU? I assume not. Maybe he didn't think kids from Hawaii would take a BGSU offer seriously. Maybe he thought he had no chance, given what he was selling. Maybe he thinks he can offer anyone now, and close the deal, given what he is selling.

I assume that his contacts in Hawaiian coaching are pretty good. Getting kids to come all the way to Syracuse, NY, from Hawaii is kind of a big deal. IMO. I wonder if DFB would be trying to get those kids here if he already knew he was planning on leaving at the first opportunity.

Shortly after these offers were reported, I saw some more offers to kids out west. Bingo. Establish interest, set up recruiting trips to visit all the kids out there on one swing.

If DFB says let's recruit Hawaii, I say SHAKA BABY. Money be damned. We spend somewhere on the order of 4 million dollars a year on the scholarships. The cost of a plane trip to Hawaii is peanuts. And I have no concerns about time management - these guys get it, and not a moment would be wasted.

Have we ever had a kid from Hawaii on the team? The novelty alone would be worth it to me.

I just saw this. So if UVA can recruit Hawaii why not SU?
All I see is green dolla dolla bills flying out of bungholes at an incredible rate...

Have we ever had a kid from Hawaii on the team? The novelty alone would be worth it to me.

Tony Fiammetta was born in Hawaii.

I just saw this. So if UVA can recruit Hawaii why not SU?
His dad is a stunt double for The Rock. Very cool

Cavvf8qUsAAKceq.jpg:large

I just saw this. So if UVA can recruit Hawaii why not SU?[/QUOTE
The Head Coach was the HC of BYU which has a campus in Hawaii. He has numerous contacts in Hawaii.

It might have something to do with the fact that UVA coach Mendenhall is LDS, and a lot of Hawaiians are as well. BYU usually does pretty well with Hawaiian recruits, for example.

I'm sure he's kept up with his contacts there and inquires about kids that are looking to leave the island to play ball. That way he can target the right kids without wasting his time.

I don't care where we recruit as long as they are states where the staff has good contacts so they can be targeted and efficient about it.

Ratcliffe: Virginia football program building a Polynesian pipeline under Mendenhall (godanriver.com; Ratcliffe)

For decades, college football’s Polynesian Pipeline existed between Hawaii, the Samoan Islands and BYU.

Now, Virginia coach Bronco Mendenhall and Polynesian heritage members of his staff are extending that pipeline 2,000 miles eastward. Not purposely, mind you, but by bonds that go back to their era in Provo.

Two of UVa’s latest additions to its 22-man recruiting class are Hawaiians: defensive lineman Aaron Faumui of Kapolei, and offensive lineman Micah Mariteragi of Hauula. Both are ranked among the state’s top 10 prospects, as is previous signee Samson Reed, a defensive lineman from Laie.
It’s a connection that Mendenhall and three of his Polynesian assistant coaches assumed was over when they left BYU two years ago and headed east to Virginia. That hasn’t been the case, which can be a good thing for the rebuilding Cavaliers program

Thanks sutomcat

Maiava has a couple of ties to the DMV area, including his mother’s niece, who is set to attend George Mason University. Maiava is also related to the new Cadets quarterback coach, Drew Aumavue. The two met at the Polynesian Bowl three years ago and discovered that they were distant cousins, and Aumavue started working with Maiava every time he went to Hawaii.

Now set to be coached under Casamento, this will be Maiava’s third head coach and fourth offensive coordinator in three years. After Kahuku had a head coaching change in November, Maiava wasn’t interested in transferring. When he was contacted by Aumavue in December, he still was hesitant but decided to go ahead and visit St. John’s in February with his father to check it out. He was quickly sold but made a second visit during his spring break two weeks ago so that his mother, Rosemary Peters, could see the school as well. Peters was hesitant at first but soon was convinced by her son. Maiava was accepted into St. John’s during the visit.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom