Recruiting higher rated kids. | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Recruiting higher rated kids.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Different times
Foolish argument that star rankings have NO VALUE. People evaluate these players via games, tape and combines. Can they miss??? Absolutely. BUt to to dis" serious professional evaluations as no value nonsense is stupid.

Foolish argument that star rankings have NO VALUE. People evaluate these players via games, tape and combines. Can they miss??? Absolutely. BUt to to dis" serious professional evaluations as no value nonsense is stupid.
Im just saying star ratings are more valuable when recruiting hot beds like Florida/texas/GA/Ohio rather than diamond in the rough areas like the northeast.

Never is a long time. If we keep winning we will. This notion that we only recruit with the sisters of the poor forever is quite misleading and disheartening.
That was my point in the thread.

How many "4/5 stars" from NY have made the NFL? How many "2/3 star" kids from NY have made the NFL?

Star rankings don't mean anything, especially in the north. The competition cannot be compared across the country. Stars don't matter, offers do.

Stars matter somewhat at the high end. It's like basketball. Everybody knows who the best players are, and those 5 stars do tend to have the best college careers, and get drafted the highest.

4 star players should be productive members of your team by their second year in hoops and I would say about the same in football, depending on how high up the food chain you are. It's going to take a 4 star a longer time to make an impact at a football factory than it will at a mid-tier school, where they would be a cornerstone of a recruiting class. And with linemen, they usually need an extra year to fill out.

3 stars is where it's a crap shoot, and you have to recruit to your system. If you get the right fit, and have a plan and type that you recruit to, it gives you a much better chance of developing that 3 star talent.

Again I would say the coaches would prefer to evaluate prospects at their own camps. I don't think they hold much value in those "professional evaluations".

Again I would say the coaches would prefer to evaluate prospects at their own camps. I don't think they hold much value in those "professional evaluations".
Your 100 percent correct. They rarely go by them if ever. But it does make sense as we start looking for better kids that these kids are rated higher. Our two lb we really like just happened to be 4* guys but in my opinion the best lb we got was the Canadian kid who was only a 3*. Take kids like that all day. I do wanna fight big dogs for prospects though and not immediately lose a qb to Clemson or Ped state. As we keep chasing better and better kids our rating will improve even though coaches aren’t looking at that.

In press conferences, HCDB has said they don't even look at those evaluations. (Have to assume they deem them unreliable)

I am not sure how you guys are going this year in rescruting, but I would be shocked if higher rated kids don’t start signing with Cuse. I see the Orange as up and coming for sure...Dino has a really fun offense and the team plays hard in the Dome.

I am a Miami fan and I’ll give my honest take from someone on the outside looking in...as far as some negative perceptions. Not trying to troll you guys at all...in fact, I hope Cuse keeps beating FSU every year.

The Dome...I believe its scheduled for renovations and they are needed...looks old, and dirty on TV. To be frank, the Dome looks like a dump. Attendance, not sure what the problem is but fans should fill the stadium. Performance on the road...the team plays great at home but poorly on the road and that has to change.

Update the uniforms...current ones look dated.
Interesting comments. Don’t see the Dome looking old and dirty. I think it did 10-15 years ago when the old Astro turf was aging and was lined for 4 sports. And when the tartan surface under the turf was exposed for basketball games and looked kind of dirty.

I think the new field turf looks great and the ribbon scoreboards bring some color and life into the building that was lacking. A newer, more translucent roof (I think it will be more translucent) will help further.

Empty seats look bad and your second point about poor attendance for football is absolutely legitimate. The cosching staff sees it as the biggest problem hurting recruiting and I think they are right. It looks like substantive progress is finally being made on that front, which is great.

We made some strides playing better on the road last year but definitely need to get better here. Legit point. I think we will get better here. Just missed wins at Clemson and at Pitt last year that would have put that to bed.

Time will tell. The future looks pretty promising right now.

Interesting comments. Don’t see the Dome looking old and dirty. I think it did 10-15 years ago when the old Astro turf was aging and was lined for 4 sports. And when the tartan surface under the turf was exposed for basketball games and looked kind of dirty.

I think the new field turf looks great and the ribbon scoreboards bring some color and life into the building that was lacking. A newer, more translucent roof (I think it will be more translucent) will help further.

Empty seats look bad and your second point about poor attendance for football is absolutely legitimate. The cosching staff sees it as the biggest problem hurting recruiting and I think they are right. It looks like substantive progress is finally being made on that front, which is great.

We made some strides playing better on the road last year but definitely need to get better here. Legit point. I think we will get better here. Just missed wins at Clemson and at Pitt last year that would have put that to bed.

Time will tell. The future looks pretty promising right now.
I think that's fair. I do think the Dome looks a little dingy. Lack of attendance, with more grey never helped. Some banners look old-maybe just a lack of color. Be nice to see those walls that are always exposed, to have some color, or something, so it looks less like an unfinished basement, and more like a modern stadium .

I think that's fair. I do think the Dome looks a little dingy. Lack of attendance, with more grey never helped. Some banners look old-maybe just a lack of color. Be nice to see those walls that are always exposed, to have some color, or something, so it looks less like an unfinished basement, and more like a modern stadium .
Agree, the banners for bowl games, the retired jerseys and championship teams look like a bizarre mix. Lots of different sizes and colors, no consistency, no attention to detail. It could be done so much better and a lot of it could address the vast expances of bare concrete on interior walls. I hope this gets addressed soon. The goal should be no bare concrete walls anywhere in the Dome. Either use it for banners or paint it orange.

I do wanna fight big dogs for prospects though and not immediately lose a qb to Clemson or Ped state. As we keep chasing better and better kids our rating will improve even though coaches aren’t looking at that.
Cooper Dawson chose us over Clemson (yes, more to it).

Grabbing prospects from Clemson will be tougher. Now, have ANOTHER year (back to back) where we finish higher ranked than Ped State? Those that are recruited by both schools may take a much more serious look at Cuse. That's what I want. Stick it to Creepy Valley.

Lotta noise and bashing...Tell me how these "northern recruits" ( NJ. NY, PA OH) are being undervalued and how we are getting them on our roster!!!!
It was pointed out in an earlier post. Most players in the northeast don't play year round. In New York they play shorter seasons and don't have spring practice. Somebody on here did the math once and it came out to something like 15 fewer games over the the course of a high school career along with all of the associated practices. Because of that, there are more kids that are less of a finished product but that doesn't mean that they are less athletic than southern players. It's why Chandler Jones was a 2 star recruit that became a 1st round draft pick after his junior year and is an NFL all pro.

Nobody is saying there aren't a higher number of recruits in the south, just that it is more likely for a northern recruit to be overlooked.

It was pointed out in an earlier post. Most players in the northeast don't play year round. In New York they play shorter seasons and don't have spring practice. Somebody on here did the math once and it came out to something like 15 fewer games over the the course of a high school career along with all of the associated practices. Because of that, there are more kids that are less of a finished product but that doesn't mean that they are less athletic than southern players. It's why Chandler Jones was a 2 star recruit that became a 1st round draft pick after his junior year and is an NFL all pro.

Nobody is saying there aren't a higher number of recruits in the south, just that it is more likely for a northern recruit to be overlooked.
Great post and so very true. The coaching here compared to down there is miles apart. When we were at cs u can’t take the dline over to the bench to talk to them cause they are now on oline. My friends son played for clay in Florida last year and when they were done on o u run to the bench and rewatch everything that just happened with the oline coach and each position did same thing. Technically we vastly far behind also. I think most we ever played was 9 games. They have spring ball summer camps and it’s all mandatory. It’s a way of life. Wish we had that here.

Great post and so very true. The coaching here compared to down there is miles apart. When we were at cs u can’t take the dline over to the bench to talk to them cause they are now on oline. My friends son played for clay in Florida last year and when they were done on o u run to the bench and rewatch everything that just happened with the oline coach and each position did same thing. Technically we vastly far behind also. I think most we ever played was 9 games. They have spring ball summer camps and it’s all mandatory. It’s a way of life. Wish we had that here.
It explains why we are behind, but I'm glad we don't have it. All kinds of studies are showing that the professionalization of youth athletes, year round sports and the increased use of personal coaches, is unhealthy for kids. It's leading to increased rates of physical, mental, and emotional burnout. Dr. James Andrews wrote a book about it. He talked about the increased rate of injuries he was seeing in youth athletes and how many more surgeries he was doing on kids the last 10 or so years of his surgical career. He recommended that athletes not specialize in one sport until their senior year of high school and throwing athletes should take 3-4 months of every year and not throw anything. That's not a popular view in our culture, but, if we really cared about the health of our kids, it's one we should listen to.

Last edited:
I suspect you could make a case that stars mean more or less for certain positions. Skill players - stars translate more often than stars for OL or DL. Kids grow at such different rates. For a program like SU, you take all the stars you can get. But at the same time you’ve got to develop the big guys who are going to take a couple of years to grow into D1 players. That’s why I’m so excited about SU’s S&C program. They really seem to have a system that works and that the kids are buying into. And the results are obvious.

My nephew played hs football in Georgia, his last period of the day was PE/football. The freshman team, the j v team and the varsity all met in the weight room for lifting.

Clay High in NE florida? I know them plus schools in the area and they never stop football. Players start the summer before they even become freshman and goes year round. There is always practice even in the off-season and there are very few double side athletes as well.

My nephew played hs football in Georgia, his last period of the day was PE/football. The freshman team, the j v team and the varsity all met in the weight room for lifting.
My wife went to a small high school in North Carolina. She said PE was similar in that whatever sport season was taking place determined what the class did in PE. I am a sports fan, but I hate how sports and our distorted perspective for its importance seems to be taking over everything, especially academia.

Agree, the banners for bowl games, the retired jerseys and championship teams look like a bizarre mix. Lots of different sizes and colors, no consistency, no attention to detail. It could be done so much better and a lot of it could address the vast expances of bare concrete on interior walls. I hope this gets addressed soon. The goal should be no bare concrete walls anywhere in the Dome. Either use it for banners or paint it orange.
Let's hire an interior decorator to have a quality consistent look inside the Dome to improve the aesthetic.

Clay High in NE florida? I know them plus schools in the area and they never stop football. Players start the summer before they even become freshman and goes year round. There is always practice even in the off-season and there are very few double side athletes as well.
Yeah Mikey played center for them. Near Jacksonville I believe. P.s also the best southern bbque I have had was the back side of downtown Jacksonville in a little silver trailer. I ate there every day for a week. Great older couple but can’t remember their or it’s name.

I would love that

Yeah Mikey played center for them. Near Jacksonville I believe. P.s also the best southern bbque I have had was the back side of downtown Jacksonville in a little silver trailer. I ate there every day for a week. Great older couple but can’t remember their or it’s name.
That’s really cool! I went to High school in Clay (but not clay high) Football is religion down here, the food truck scene down here with BBQ and seafood is amazing as well

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom