recruiting is getting much more interesting. | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

recruiting is getting much more interesting.

The 5 star guys can wait as long as they want. The 3 stars could be left without a seat if they press their luck
Yepp. With a very limited # of 4 and 5 stars, it benefits the majority of recruits to sign in Dec.

Moving it up is a good thing. The big boys can't string the majority of the recruits along, "be patient an offer is going to come, we have to figure some things out". Now that 3 star kid back burners schools like SU waiting on that FSU offer. Now with the early signing period, the big boys have to or get off the pot. The wont be able to blow the smoke and mirror machine becuase the kids will be able to see who actually signed.

Finally, it will ease the recruiting budget, as the coaches wont have to spend "time and money" visiting kids and babysitting them becuase other schools start poking around.

Perhaps. And perhaps the Big Boys get good at slotting 75% of their kids in the early signing period, and then select from the others in February. We hope that some of those fours and threes drop down to us. But we just don't know yet if that's how this will all play out.

Perhaps. And perhaps the Big Boys get good at slotting 75% of their kids in the early signing period, and then select from the others in February. We hope that some of those fours and threes drop down to us. But we just don't know yet if that's how this will all play out.

Thats fine too, because under your scenario SU wont spend time and money trying to woo a kid that already has his mind made up.

If memory serves, some of the big boys are against it. Non bowl teams can donate 100% of their efforts to recruiting. They also won't have as much time, for what may have been the easier flips. I like it. Will be interesting to see what happens.

Last edited:
signing the LOI makes it real. A kid could "verbal" in the past and feel like his spot is saved (besides those gray shirt issues that the big boys try to pull). Now with early signing, kids signing LOI's makes it real, the dominos will fall and kids wont want to be left out. This is good for SU.

it helps SU as long as the big boys and the 4-5 star kids still play the long game. Once they start signing early it doesnt really change much from the way it is now. This year it will be interesting to see how many of the top 300 sign early , in the past many still flipped over the next 2 months, the more that want to waver the more it helps schools like SU. We want the big time kids to play it out so the power programs have to hold spots and more the next tier down kids will see they are second options when now they are told different.

For our bigger recruits, there is less time for them to be flipped. Assuming they sign early. That's what I'm expecting.

I think the point everyone is missing is this,. Rivalz ranks our class 71 but the other two major players have us top 30.

If that doesn't show that subscribers drive their rankings, then I don't know what to tell you.

How can there be such a massive gap

I think the point everyone is missing is this,. Rivalz ranks our class 71 but the other two major players have us top 30.

If that doesn't show that subscribers drive their rankings, then I don't know what to tell you.

How can there be such a massive gap
*top 40

The early signing period is a huge benefit for SU. Game changing benefit.

Just an fyi. The Dead period, no face to face contact on or off campus, starts on Monday 12/18/17. This will be that last weekend for Official Visits until Friday 1/12/18.

Football (Early Period for Division I) December 20, 2017 December 22, 2017
Football (Midyear JC Transfer) December 20, 2017 January 15, 2018

it helps SU as long as the big boys and the 4-5 star kids still play the long game. Once they start signing early it doesnt really change much from the way it is now. This year it will be interesting to see how many of the top 300 sign early , in the past many still flipped over the next 2 months, the more that want to waver the more it helps schools like SU. We want the big time kids to play it out so the power programs have to hold spots and more the next tier down kids will see they are second options when now they are told different.

Maybe not this year, but I wonder if this early signing period will encourage more 'big schools' to over recruit. Fill the class in December and push for as many uncommitted guys as possible in Feb. Yes, the early (3 star?) guys will still have a spot ...for one year. Dunno. Like you say, see how it plays out...

I can't see a downside to the early singing period for us. If the factories keep spots open, it tells their backup options that they are just that, allowing them to sign somewhere, maybe us, they know they're wanted, so they don't lose a chair. If they fill the entire class early and leave some blue chips out there for february, maybe we grab some every now and then.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom