Recruiting Picture for 2013 | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Recruiting Picture for 2013

That excuse is way over played here. We are not that much different than our peers. And we will always be behind. If Marrone cannot over come that, then he is the wrong guy. Lets be honest here a HC who is a recruiter would be doing a lot better at getting talent give the current situation. Hell you can make an argument that GRob was a better recruiter.

Yes, we are. Get out and look around. Doug isn't a world beater as a recruiter but the program with or without Doug needs better facilities. It's not overplayed, it's a reality. I see it everyday... Why has the Syracuse basketball recruiting taken off the past few years? Take a guess, the Melo Center makes a huge difference, talk to any of the coaches they will tell you. Their words not mine.

DOME is limited as well, those locker rooms are a joke, complete joke. Like I said people need to get out and look at facilities at other Universities and it's quite obvious. Syracuse missed out on an entire cycle of upgrades and is now way behind. The limitataions are the limitations but kids don't really care about that. Doug could be doing a better job recruiting no doubt the facilities are piss poor regardless of their effect on recruiting, they certainly don't help

Ok so where are we lacking? Just saying it does not make it so. Give examples. Several of our peers have ZERO indoor facilities. Some have a bubble. Some only have plans or are currently building a facility. Currently we have Manley. That is not ideal but it is better than nothing. Are kids really going elsewhere because our field is 80 yards vs SOME other schools having 100?

Our biggest issue IMO is the locker rooms and lounges. Those IMO can be fixed pretty quickly. Focusing on the indoor facility and allowing those to stay as is, IMO is not a smart idea. You can fix those NOW and at the same time fund raise for an new facility. If you do that, then we will be in line with most of our peers and people will have to stop making excuses for Marrone's failures as a recruiter.
supposedly that what we are doing, and not a moment to soon--don't disagree with that--we need a complete retrofit--soup to nuts

Yes, we are. Get out and look around. Doug isn't a world beater as a recruiter but the program with or without Doug needs better facilities. It's not overplayed, it's a reality. I see it everyday... Why has the Syracuse basketball recruiting taken off the past few years? Take a guess, the Melo Center makes a huge difference, talk to any of the coaches they will tell you. Their words not mine

Again stop with the BS vague stuff. Take a look around and you will see that it wouldn't take much to get us to par with our peers. The Melo Center is a top of the food chain BBall facility. It would be great to have on for FB, but NONE OF OUR PEERS HAVE ONE EITHER. We will NEVER be top of the food chain in FB facilities. If we NEED that to be successful than we might as well close shop now.

Comparing our BBall to FB is silly.

Again stop with the BS vague stuff. Take a look around and you will see that it wouldn't take much to get us to par with our peers. The Melo Center is a top of the food chain BBall facility. It would be great to have on for FB, but NONE OF OUR PEERS HAVE ONE EITHER. We will NEVER be top of the food chain in FB facilities. If we NEED that to be successful than we might as well close shop now.

I am just telling you the impact it has had on recruiting according to people who would know. Down playing the impact good facilities would have on our program is silly. It may be vague for you, but when you see it everyday and I do, it bceomes painfully evident how poor our facilities are. Go look at the new Athletic Center at Ithaca College, far superior to anything at Syracuse for any program other than basketball. What you refer to as top of the food chain looks pretty standard to me at even d3 universities. So, you are wrong here, your barking up the wrong tree.

I am just telling you the impact it has had on recruiting according to people who would know. Down playing the impact good facilities would have on our program is silly. It may be vague for you, but when you see it everyday and I do, it bceomes painfully evident how poor our facilities are. Go look at the new Athletic Center at Ithaca College, far superior to anything at Syracuse for any program other than basketball. What you refer to as top of the food chain looks pretty standard to me at even d3 universities. So, you are wrong here, your barking up the wrong tree.

Just like with most of your posts you are full of .

didn't a previous post have pictures of facilities at wva,pitt,rutgers hale center,uconn--if our peers are wake,vandy,bc, etc then you are right in relation to indoor practice facilities---but we are talking more basic than that and we are still lacking--didn't a recruit point out that uconn had better?who are you defining our peers to be? also we have had to sell a conference that was ready to implode as well as a program with no adequate treatment,training etc etc facilities

didn't a previous post have pictures of facilities at wva,pitt,rutgers hale center,uconn--if our peers are wake,vandy,bc, etc then you are right in relation to indoor practice facilities---but we are talking more basic than that and we are still lacking--didn't a recruit point out that uconn had better?who are you defining our peers to be? also we have had to sell a conference that was ready to implode as well as a program with no adequate treatment,training etc etc facilities

Our peers IMO are the teams we play against and recruit against. A few of those we will never be able to compete against when it comes to facilities (PSU, FSU, Clemson, etc). The rest we need to be close enough that it isn't a significant disadvantage. The fact of the matter is that SU will never be a the top of our peer group in terms of facilities. We will always be near the bottom. If we HAVE to be near the top to get recruits then we might as well give up, because that will never happen.

Also looking at that peer group there are some that are worse then SU. Some that are better. And many that have advantages in some areas but disadvantages in others. As long as our disadvantages are not significant, then we should be fine. IMO the only area that is of concern right now is the locker rooms and lounges. Those IMO are not hard fixes.

Facilities are not just an indoor practice facility. It includes where you eat, sleep, train, recover, learn, relax, and play.

Just like with most of your posts you are full of ****.

Full of how? The fact that I was told by one of the basketball coaches that the Melo Center has had a HUGE impact on recruiting and made things a lot easier for the staff to bring in top level talent or the fact that many d3 schools have better facilities than Syracuse right now? Take your pick, but they are both true, it's just that my FACTS don't support your opinion so you choose to carry on and call me FOS. SO be it. I am 38 and have spent 23 years in the construction business in some capacity, I believe I am qualified to comment on facilities at many area colleges because you know what? I have built a lot of them in some capacity, imagine that. If I wasn't awarded the project I have toured countless athletic facilities through the the prebid process. Who the F are you to question what I know about my business.

That excuse is way over played here. We are not that much different than our peers. And we will always be behind. If Marrone cannot over come that, then he is the wrong guy. Lets be honest here a HC who is a recruiter would be doing a lot better at getting talent give the current situation. Hell you can make an argument that GRob was a better recruiter.

No, you can't.

Full of how? The fact that I was told by one of the basketball coaches that the Melo Center has had a HUGE impact on recruiting and made things a lot easier for the staff to bring in top level talent or the fact that many d3 schools have better facilities than Syracuse right now? Take your pick, but they are both true, it's just that my FACTS don't support your opinion so you choose to carry on and call me FOS. SO be it. I am 38 and have spent 23 years in the construction business in some capacity, I believe I am qualified to comment on facilities at many area colleges because you know what? I have built a lot of them in some capacity, imagine that. If I wasn't awarded the project I have toured countless athletic facilities through the the prebid process. Who the F are you to question what I know about my business.

Don't worry about it, you might ride an emotional roller coaster, but he's a clown.

If you don't think our facilities are horrid, you must be think the US is operating at a surplus. It's about that extreme.

No, you can't.

Yes you certainly can. GRob IMO was better a selling SU to impact players than Marrone has been. Marrone is a lot better at identifying, evaluating, and bringing in under the radar kids. That is very very important to building a team and at that GRob sucked ass. That is why we are a lot deeper with Marrone. That is part of the recruiting process. That is the hard part of building a program. Anyone can identify the impact players. It is harder and takes more skill to get the depth guys. Marrone IMO is good at this.

However IMO being a good recruiter means being a good seller and bringing in some of those impact guys. We have yet to see that under Marrone.

king otto ---please feel free to get a copy of my recently released book entitled"Syracuse University Football:Shroud of Secrecy". it details the roster -2 deep,specific injury updates,offensive and defensive schemes, and most importantly,facility upgrades. in fact it is so secret that it was written in invisible ink, and cannot be located in a bookstore---of course it is personally autographed, but you have to take my word for it, cause you can't see it;)

Yes you certainly can. GRob IMO was better a selling SU to impact players than Marrone has been. Marrone is a lot better at identifying, evaluating, and bringing in under the radar kids. That is very very important to building a team and at that GRob sucked ass. That is why we are a lot deeper with Marrone. That is part of the recruiting process. That is the hard part of building a program. Anyone can identify the impact players. It is harder and takes more skill to get the depth guys. Marrone IMO is good at this.

However IMO being a good recruiter means being a good seller and bringing in some of those impact guys. We have yet to see that under Marrone.

Sales is also building relationships and that is what Marrone is doing. That takes time and I just don't see Marrone being the type of guy that talks out of the corners of his mouth and just says what the recruit wants to hear, he tells what it is and hopes that they are mature enough to make an adult big boy decision and not be lured by shiny objects. I do realize that shiny things do catch the fish but this is where the alum, fans and Dr. Gross come in to help. Hell, we're still using a zebco 202.

Sales is also building relationships and that is what Marrone is doing. That takes time and I just don't see Marrone being the type of guy that talks out of the corners of his mouth and just says what the recruit wants to hear, he tells what it is and hopes that they are mature enough to make an adult big boy decision and not be lured by shiny objects. I do realize that shiny things do catch the fish but this is where the alum, fans and Dr. Gross come in to help. Hell, we're still using a zebco 202.
Awesome fishing metaphor. I keep a few Zebcos around for my nieces and nephews to use to pull large-mouth out of my pond.

I might say that Robby did get higher star rated players but Marrone has done a way better job depth/speed wise.

Classes are stronger top to bottom, per player bigger, faster, stronger coming in, more kids are able to contribute earlier, he's been able to turn over the roster much faster than Robinson did. There are only nine Robinson recruits left on the entire roster (and that includes Lemon, Pugh, and Phillips).

Classes are stronger top to bottom, per player bigger, faster, stronger coming in, more kids are able to contribute earlier, he's been able to turn over the roster much faster than Robinson did. There are only nine Robinson recruits left on the entire roster (and that includes Lemon, Pugh, and Phillips).

Yup. Squats and deadlifts.

This last class had more kids with competing BCS offers than any in the class 10 or so.

Is that the one with the button on the reel that would break after 20 casts?

I think my first fishing rod / reel was a zebco 202.

Guys, help me out here, but I am not getting a warm and fuzzy picture that we are improving in this area, especially with it being DM's 4th recruiting year now. They just released ESPN ratings (Such as they are) and I don't see alot of talent looking our way, or options either. I know it is early, and maybe after the Spring Game things will pick up in this area, but I feel we are degressing here, where optimistcally we should be seeing a boost with this class one should think with it being the first class in the ACC for the CUSE.

Any word on who is coming to the Spring Game as far as recruits? Hope their is some secret weapon DM is going to unleash with all this secreatcy...

Maybe I'm being a bit pollyanna, but it seems that overall we have brought in better athletes under Marrone than under Robinson or under Coach P during his last two years.

Time will tell, but I am confident that Marrone's program, the academics that SU offers, the improved infrastructure and the move to the ACC all bode well for future classes.

We are not there yet, but we are moving in the right direction.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom