Recruiting: So far ranked last in ACC | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

Recruiting: So far ranked last in ACC

The Dome is usually hot and stuffy in September. So sometimes we suffer through two games. I'll take that compared to a September rain storm with no roof overhead.

Taking kids to the Dome is OK if that's what you want to do, but remember, they are kids and they do what kids do at games. They need to pee and they want food. That's a given.

The food at the Dome is what it is. I would never buy the nachos. The cheese on them looks like what they paint a school bus with. The hot dogs are at least Hoffmans. Still, I don't often buy them. I will tell you this though, on a hot humid day in the Dome, there is nothing better than a cookiewich. Also, beer is available!!!

If you ask me, the pee troughs are a work of art in urination. I have never had to wait very long, even at half time.

Tailgating is tailgating. Food, booze, and friends at the back of a car. It is no different no matter where you go. I see no need to pull up with a restaurant size smoker like they do down south. Besides, you have to put all that stuff away and go home. I tailgate at Manley. After a game, usually from the time I leave the Dome to the time I am on 81 north heading home is 30 minutes, give or take a minute or two.

As far as the stadiums are concerned, Notre Dame Stadium looks like the outside of a factory that was built in the 1890's. Penn State's looks like an unfinished construction site. I have to admit, the outside of the Dome is what it is and it reminds me of concrete buildings in Warsaw, Poland that were built by the communists and I have seen many of those.

All in all, I think the Dome is a pretty unique venue. It has no bad seats. Sure, it would be nice to have the roof open in September, but that comes with a price that I will mention now. Every open air stadium and I mean all of them have problems with bees drawn by spilled soda, beer or whatever. I have never ever seen a bee inside the Carrier Dome.

I'm a fan of the troughs as well. The problem with kids is that they really like going to the games so you feel guilty leaving them home.

Or just pointing to Chandler Jones as PROOF that the whole system is a farce.
He is proof that mistakes are made, it that kids can continue to improve. For the whole system to be a farce, no 5 stars would be college all Americans, and only one stars would make the NFL

If your problem is Syracuse is the #39th hottest stadium for 2 games a year, then that’s on you. Yes, #39 is an arbitrary number, but it’s been my experience that it’s not hotter than any of the SEC venues (except possibly UK and MIZZOU - I wouldn’t know), many of them CUSA venues, many of the southern ACC venues, many of the AAC venues, virtually all of the Sun Belt venues, and many of the Big XII venues. Try sitting through a game at Kyle Field when it’s between 115-120 out, with 80% humidity, and you’re in the sun (there is virtually no shade if you’re on the wrong side of the stadium), and then tell me that the Dome is “hot.” TAMU is an extreme, but it’s not like our friends in Alabama, Mississippi, Louisiana, etc. enjoy cool and refreshing early season weather. The fact that it’s 55 outside the Dome is irrelevant to how the Dome compares to other stadiums.

I also don’t get your comment about the Dome having an 80’s appearance inside. The last PSU game I went to was in October of 2011, so times may have changed, but Beaver Stadium didn’t have credit card machines in their concession stands - at least not in the upper level of the stadium. That’s 80’s. Lacking a bigger TV screen (which is what I assume you mean by 80’s appearance inside) is at best champaign problem, especially given how great the site lines are. And in what way is it ‘drab?’ Yes, there is concrete (it’s a concrete building, so it’s hard to not have concrete), but it’s not like the school doesn’t cover it up with a ribbon screen, and orange coverings (unless you mean the ground itself - then the same could be said for every stadium that I’ve ever been in at any level).

Next, most concessions come from centralized vendors. Syracuse doesn’t make the chips and “cheese.” It’s the same junk that every other stadium gets. In fact ~90% of the menus at ~90% of the stadiums are the same. It’s usually sourced from Sysco. The difference is that most stadiums also add a touch of local flare. That’s really what you’re comparing when you evaluate stadium food, and that difference is trivial at best.

The same is true for the seats. Granted, we don’t have any bucket sears, sure. But that problem is mitigated by the fact that you can purchase seats with backs and cushioned bottoms if you really care, and it’s not like bench seating is rare in college stadiums, even amongst the big guys. We’re at an extene for how much of it we have, but we’re not outside the norm for having it.

Lastly, as for the hallways, I have no idea what your problem is. Yeah, it’s crowded. Hold hands and walk. I don’t know what to tell you other than that system has worked at Syracuse for 40 years.

The things that are different at the Dome vs other stadiums are:
A) there are no bad seats in the house. Sit in cheap seats at Beaver Stadium, and tell me how much of the game you can see. And it’s not like at Wriggly or Fenway, where you can buy a ticket, only to discover that you literally can’t see 40% of the field because of a beam that’s 1-2 feet in front of you.
B) it never rains. Sit through the misery of being poured on for 3 hours if you don’t appreciate being dry.
C) contrary to some people’s belief on this site, the weather is extremely mild. Try sitting through a November game at Michigan, Michigan State, Notre Dame, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Penn State, BC, etc. or an early season game at noon in the south on a sunny, humid day, and then let me know what you think of the Dome if you don’t believe me.
D) the cover holds in noise, which makes it MUCH louder/more exciting than it should be.

I’d absolutely disagree about your assessment of the excitement level of the Dome. It can be magical when it’s packed and the crowd is into the game. Florida almost went an entire generation without leaving their home state for an OOC game after what we did to them in ‘92. The excitement level is elite, and we punch far above our weight. Our issue is that our fans are spoiled, not that the Dome is worse than other venues. It’s not.

***I’d agree about the tailgating scene, but that isn’t really a Dome issue. It doesn’t affect the Dome itself, and no amount of rebuilding/remodeling the Dome will help it.***

The dome may be a lot of things but generally exciting is not one of them. Big game, crowd fired up, orange playing well -- absolutely. Big back-and-forth hoops game with a big crowd -- absolutely. Generally though, I'd say it's nowhere near 'exciting.'

But listen, everyone likes what they like or what they don't. I do think, however, that if you took an objective pole of college football fans, Cuse would rank pretty low on overall game day experience. Maybe I'm wrong.

He is proof that mistakes are made, it that kids can continue to improve. For the whole system to be a farce, no 5 stars would be college all Americans, and only one stars would make the NFL
No one, certainly not me has ever said that the whole system is perfect.

One thing that I'm really liking with this class, is that we have been winning in our radius. 7-10 commits are all within a 6 hour driving distance. This is our territory, we are building a pipeline for present and future. In the past we had no choice but to mine places far away because we didn't have any respect in our radius, now we do, and I'm glad to see Dino and his team taking advantage of it.
I just want to best recruits possible, regardless of where they come from.

I guess it’s good that the people who are positioned to know us best have faith. Hopefully the rest of the country is lagging, but will eventually reach an equilibrium. But honestly, my concern is getting kids who can ball, regardless of whether they’re from NY, Florida, Japan, or somewhere in the middle.

The dome may be a lot of things but generally exciting is not one of them. Big game, crowd fired up, orange playing well -- absolutely. Big back-and-forth hoops game with a big crowd -- absolutely. Generally though, I'd say it's nowhere near 'exciting.'

But listen, everyone likes what they like or what they don't. I do think, however, that if you took an objective pole of college football fans, Cuse would rank pretty low on overall game day experience. Maybe I'm wrong.
NCAA ‘05 (or maybe ‘06) had us ranked in the top 25 in their stadium pulse feature (or whatever it was called that was their attempt to quantify crowd impact on games).

We’ve also pulled off some HUGE upsets in games that look like they were influenced by the crowd. Clemson and WVU spring to mind.

Playing in the Dome appears to have changed UF’s OOC scheduling policy, unless going from ‘92 to present without leaving Florida happened by chance.

Other than that, I’m not sure how you could get an objective measurement, but I’ve heard significant amounts of positive feedback from opposing fans who have faced full Domes (including opposing coaches). There was a NYT (I think) article, where Spurrier talked about playing in the Dome. He hated it because it was so hostile. Frank Beamer also had some interviews where he brought it up as being an especially tough place to play.

Keep in mind that schools like PSU graduate more students than we have enrolled every year. We will never have the MASSIVE crowds, parties, etc. that they do. But that’s not the Dome’s fault.

I don’t see how you can say that the Dome isn’t ‘exciting.’ I honestly think that you’re being negative for the sake of griping.

If a hot stadium is a bad viewing expeirence do not go to any stadium in the south. I fail to see how that is a reason why the dome isn’t that good
I understand that there’s a difference between inside hot and outside hot, but I’ve been to a game in Columbia, SC when it was 105. There were like 80k+ and hardly anybody complained about the heat. I don’t want to hear it from people in Syracuse.

Hell, the Clemson/Syracuse game last year was humid, around 90 and it was almost October.

I love hearing from players/coaches back in the day, with full crowds, describing the Dome as suffocating and claustrophobic. How is that not awesome given our style of play?

Last edited:
I’ve yet to hear a coherent argument as to why the Dome blows. The site lines are unreal. The atmosphere is close to ideal. The building is unique.

The complaints typically revolve around it occasionally being hot (try sitting through a game @A&M, LSU, etc.), bench seats (most big stadiums have at least some bench seats, and you can buy seat backs if you really care), narrow concourses (stupid reason), concessions (stupid reason & they aren’t worse than anywhere else), and pee troughs (look straight ahead, and you’ll be fine lol).

I also occasionally hear the the outside looks 80’s, which is honestly a couple of years away from being genuinely cool. But if that’s not you’re cup of tea, it’s yet another reason to be *in* the Dome.

I dont think that stuff is very important to recruits.

Our 50,000 capacity does look smaller than a similar outdoor stadium. Getting recruits in to experience a LOUD, full house will go a long way in showing them the real benefit of the dome.

Having been is a few other venues, my take is that the Dome is a clear advantage under HCDBs system. The Mac and PP's early years took advantage of the Dome, the other years opponents took advantage of the Dome's fast track. The Dome is a fast track and should always have a fast track offense.

NCAA ‘05 (or maybe ‘06) had us ranked in the top 25 in their stadium pulse feature (or whatever it was called that was their attempt to quantify crowd impact on games).

We’ve also pulled off some HUGE upsets in games that look like they were influenced by the crowd. Clemson and WVU spring to mind.

Playing in the Dome appears to have changed UF’s OOC scheduling policy, unless going from ‘92 to present without leaving Florida happened by chance.

Other than that, I’m not sure how you could get an objective measurement, but I’ve heard significant amounts of positive feedback from opposing fans who have faced full Domes (including opposing coaches). There was a NYT (I think) article, where Spurrier talked about playing in the Dome. He hated it because it was so hostile. Frank Beamer also had some interviews where he brought it up as being an especially tough place to play.

Keep in mind that schools like PSU graduate more students than we have enrolled every year. We will never have the MASSIVE crowds, parties, etc. that they do. But that’s not the Dome’s fault.

I don’t see how you can say that the Dome isn’t ‘exciting.’ I honestly think that you’re being negative for the sake of griping.
If I remember correctly NCAA 09 had the carrier dome as the first part of its intro for the game.

I mainly go to games in Oct/Nov so I agree - it’s a great place to watch a game.

I avoid those early season sauna games though. Those absolutely suck. I can’t deal with that stuffiness. Still on the fence for the Clemson game this year. Should be ok if it’s at night, I think?

It'll be nice and cool feeling by night, all that humidity just seems to disappear right out of the dome at night...

I forget what game it was during Marrone or Shafer, afternoon game and I almost took my shirt off. I believe it was the hottest or one of the hottest the dome has ever been. Hottest game I've been to and the game was a snoozer. Wife wouldn't let me leave early, think she might have been trying to kill me.

Given that, personal, I prefer that to baking in the sun and not being able to see anything in an outdoor stadium.

We are at our best on Saturday nights, when the crowd is well lubricated, and the opponent is massive.

Those crowds are what makes history..

I dont think that stuff is very important to recruits.

Our 50,000 capacity does look smaller than a similar outdoor stadium. Getting recruits in to experience a LOUD, full house will go a long way in showing them the real benefit of the dome.
I don’t think that the point is to impact recruits. The point is to impact opposing teams.

EDIT: But yes, I think letting a recruit experience a loud, full house will definitely be a plus.

I think dino likes the on field heat and humidity and is being smart to use it to our advantage. He knows with proper conditioning,he can outlast the other team. I’m happy to finally have a coach to use every angle of “gamesmanship” to win games

I think our own fans are sometimes our worst enemy when it comes to nitpicking.
Just a couple of years after it was built, I worked at the Dome hawking beer as an undergrad. No matter what section i was in, i could always pause and take in the game being played- the sightlines are amazing.
Programs would KILL to have a facility like this, & thank goodness we now have a HC who fully realizes what an asset it is.
The Dome literally built OBE basketball into a national phenomenon. My freshman year some students were biotching about moving games from Manley...why? Lack of foresight, vision, and appreciation for the assets we have as a program.
Dino gets it. JB has always gotten it. Let’s calm the F’ down, stop whining, and use this blessing that we have built. It’s not perfect, but it’s unique to this program.
Can’t wait for the makeover to come! Thank God, we have a Dome and you don’t! “Neener neener”!

Last edited:
What a business model; wish I was the one to think of it first. Leverage the work done by coaches and staff and pass it off as a scoop to 100Ks of people willing to shell out 20 bucks a month.

I don’t think that the point is to impact recruits. The point is to impact opposing teams.

EDIT: But yes, I think letting a recruit experience a loud, full house will definitely be a plus.
I hear you. I was more referencing the "recruiting higher ranked players" theme of the thread. We can both impact other teams, and recruits with the advantages that the dome provides. The volume, and the fans more on top of you is a distinct advantage.

Last edited:
I think our own fans are sometimes our worst enemy when it comes to nitpicking specific items.
Just a couple of years after it was built, I worked at the Dome hawking beer as an undergrad. No matter what section i was in, i could always pause and take in the game being played- the sightlines are amazing.
Programs would KILL to have a facility like this, & thank goodness we now have a HC who fully realizes what an asset it is.
The Dome literally built OBE basketball into a national phenomenon. My freshman year some students were biotching about moving games from Manley...why? Lack of foresight, vision, and appreciation for the assets we have as a program.
Dino gets it. JB has always gotten it. Let’s calm the F’ down, stop whining, and use this blessing that we have built. It’s not perfect, but it’s unique to this program.
Can’t wait for the makeover to come! Thank God, we have a Dome and you don’t! “Neener neener”!
While I agree with 99% of your post, if I remember correctly, Boeheim had to be dragged kicking and screaming from Manley. He thought the dome was too large and that we'd never fill it for basketball.

While I agree with 99% of your post, if I remember correctly, Boeheim had to be dragged kicking and screaming from Manley. He thought the dome was too large and that we'd never fill it for basketball.
Good point, and honestly i don’t remember if he was onboard from the start, or a skeptic. Listen, I was one of those complaining students, writing letters & petitions to the DO to keep the games at Manley. At that time it was one of, if not the most intimidating home courts in the country- hence the 50+ game-winning streak broken by GTown which launched the best rivalry in the BE.
In any case, I like many others was proven wrong. The Dome is an asset like no other. It literally made Syracuse University what it is today. And make no mistake, Dino will maximize its advantages better than anyone else out there.

if its a hot day in Sept it will be a hot night in the Dome once a big crowd gets in there.
The person who says the heat and humidity suddenly goes away is misinformed. If anything it might be worse because the dome will have all day to soak and bake. That air, the humidity in particular, gets trapped.

The person who says the heat and humidity suddenly goes away is misinformed. If anything it might be worse because the dome will have all day to soak and bake. That air, the humidity in particular, gets trapped.
You do know there are giant motorized vertical vent windows in the Dome right?

That can be opened to let air in or out...

The only air trapped is when they want it trapped to keep the roof up.

We are at our best on Saturday nights, when the crowd is well lubricated, and the opponent is massive.

Those crowds are what makes history..
Hopefully that will be 14Sep19. I will be there and well oiled along with my entire family coming in from California and North Carolina. Go Orange!!!!!!!!