Recruiting: So far ranked last in ACC | Page 8 | Syracusefan.com

Recruiting: So far ranked last in ACC

While I agree with 99% of your post, if I remember correctly, Boeheim had to be dragged kicking and screaming from Manley. He thought the dome was too large and that we'd never fill it for basketball.

Given the success he had at Manley as a coach, it’s hard to blame him though. Am I correct that in four seasons as a coach, his team lost just one game at Manley Field House? I wouldn’t want to leave a place where my team was virtually unbeatable, either.

Well oiled? Explain yourself PV haha.
Glad I’m not the only one noticing frequent references to oils and lubrications. Not that there’s anything wrong with that.

Add to that crappy tailgating that often includes a bus ride to ghe actual game

The tailgating atmosphere near Adams and University across from Marshall Square Mall is fantastic. Easy in and easy out, and a manageable walk up to the Dome. I agree that going to Skytop is extremely annoying.

I think the tailgating at SU is perfectly fine. It's more of a patchwork of small lots instead of one giant parking lot. The advantage of that is that the stadium is located on campus which adds to the college football experience instead of in one big soulless parking lot like UConn.

The tailgating atmosphere near Adams and University across from Marshall Square Mall is fantastic. Easy in and easy out, and a manageable walk up to the Dome. I agree that going to Skytop is extremely annoying.

I think the tailgating at SU is perfectly fine. It's more of a patchwork of small lots instead of one giant parking lot. The advantage of that is that the stadium is located on campus which adds to the college football experience instead of in one big soulless parking lot like UConn.
The biggest mistake SU could have ever made was moving off campus. Thank God the Chancellor and BOT understood how important an advantage keeping the stadium on campus is. The Dome is one of the most recognizable venues in collegiate athletics. Building another "rent" down by one of the worst toxic waste sites in America would have been a gigantic mistake. Marshall street, The Quad, Student involvement Varsity, you name it all gone for what. A parking lot that makes it a little bit easier to tailgate in. It would have been a colossal mistake.

The biggest mistake SU could have ever made was moving off campus. Thank God the Chancellor and BOT understood how important an advantage keeping the stadium on campus is. The Dome is one of the most recognizable venues in collegiate athletics. Building another "rent" down by one of the worst toxic waste sites in America would have been a gigantic mistake. Marshall street, The Quad, Student involvement Varsity, you name it all gone for what. A parking lot that makes it a little bit easier to tailgate in. It would have been a colossal mistake.
And one of a kind. To my knowledge, no one else has an on-campus domed stadium at their disposal. So glad we finally have a HC that recognized the potential of this asset.
As fans, we sometimes take it for granted, but the “old grey lady” is totally awesome!

Amen.

So to summarize:

We all love Dino, we want Dino to be our coach for a long time, Dino is awesome, but we want him to have higher ranked recruiting classes because over the long term there is almost certainly a positive correlation between (a) recruiting class ranking and (b) sustained program strength, and to think otherwise is being delusional.

So to summarize:

We all love Dino, we want Dino to be our coach for a long time, Dino is awesome, but we want him to have higher ranked recruiting classes because over the long term there is almost certainly a positive correlation between (a) recruiting class ranking and (b) sustained program strength, and to think otherwise is being delusional.
this is where I am

I would add 1 thing... When Dino combines "higher ranked classes" with his already outstanding talent identification and development, we're going to be unstoppable. In the mean time, we will be very very competitive (8-10 wins)

Last edited:
this is where I am

I would add 1 thing... When Dino combines "higher ranked classes" with his already outstanding talent identification and development, we're are going to be unstoppable. In the mean time, we will be very very competitive (8-10 wins)
We have two teams that Dino has to out coach and out scheme year in year out to get to the playoffs. Clemson and FSU. Two teams and we are one ACC Championship game from the playoffs.

I’ve yet to hear a coherent argument as to why the Dome blows. The site lines are unreal. The atmosphere is close to ideal. The building is unique.

The complaints typically revolve around it occasionally being hot (try sitting through a game @A&M, LSU, etc.), bench seats (most big stadiums have at least some bench seats, and you can buy seat backs if you really care), narrow concourses (stupid reason), concessions (stupid reason & they aren’t worse than anywhere else), and pee troughs (look straight ahead, and you’ll be fine lol).

I also occasionally hear the the outside looks 80’s, which is honestly a couple of years away from being genuinely cool. But if that’s not you’re cup of tea, it’s yet another reason to be *in* the Dome.

Agreed. The Dome is not Michigan’s Big House, or Death Valley, or PSU’s stadium. It is exactly what it is, a smallish, confined stadium - with great sight lines, as you said - and a huge Home Field advantage when SU is good. It is part of SU’s personality. Intrinsic to our brand identity. And I’ll take the Dome all damn day long.

And minor PS, I have never been so hot at a game, as I was at a game one year at BC, or one at USF, with the direct sun roasting me.

Dino and crew are focused on speed, frame, intelligence, and Fit. As we continue to add years to his regime we continue to provide The Wolverine more time to work his magic.
Each year the underbelly gets closer to becoming a six pack.

I'm wondering if the misses this year are due to the success of negative recruiting by competing programs. I don't think kids are quite convinced that Babers is going to stick around. The irony is that the recruiting misses can become a self-fulfilling prophecy. If Babers doesn't think he can recruit at a high enough level here to win championships, he probably will leave.

I'm wondering if the misses this year are due to the success of negative recruiting by competing programs. I don't think kids are quite convinced that Babers is going to stick around. The irony is that the recruiting misses can become a self-fulfilling prophecy. If Babers doesn't think he can recruit at a high enough level here to win championships, he probably will leave.
Lets hope USC and UCLA do well

I am confused why there is any concern with recruiting. After what we do this year, recruiting will handle itself. We got what we need now and the future is very bright. Catch a tiger by the tale anyone? Get your SU gear now while it is cheap as the prices will go up when all the kids are wearing it next year.

You do know there are giant motorized vertical vent windows in the Dome right?

That can be opened to let air in or out...

The only air trapped is when they want it trapped to keep the roof up.
Did you ever own a multi-story home without air conditioning? You can open up all the windows you want, you're just circulating humid, stuffy air. It doesn't make a difference. I was referring to the fact that there is no air movement, per se, unless you are one of those STHs that sits at the very top of the dome where you can feel the vents.

A few thoughts aimed at everyone throwing shade on this class: 1) keep in mind that this is early in the cycle and the majority of the two and three star kids haven't received full evaluations (many of them haven't been evaluated at all). It's a long process that will carry into the early winter months. I'd pay more attention to the rankings after signing day, right now they are incomplete, the same as our class, so the rankings should be viewed with the caveat that they are also incomplete. Anything else is disingenuous if not malicious. 2) It's an open question whether rankings encompass the relative ability now, or the perceived potential of a given recruit. I would argue that the evaluators have no choice but to rank according to current skill and ability, since trying to project development is difficult at best and in truth is a fools errand. You never know how a kid is going to develop or how hard he is going to work, how much more he is going to grow or how close to his ceiling he is, etc. When ranking over 1000 prospects in a cycle, you really have no choice but to rank according to what you can see, and I think the rankings bear that out. The 5 stars are easy to identify as they are bigger, faster, and far more skilled than their peers. They are ready to contribute immediately at the P5 level. After that it gets murky, and as others have pointed out, the differences between similarly ranked recruits is barely perceptible, let alone significant. 3) This flies in the face of the recruiting strategy a program like Syracuse must employ. If you can't bring in recruits that are clearly ready to contribute you are forced to project development and ultimately gamble on those projections. It's another reason why you hear Dino constantly referring to depth. Half of the depth concern is practical in terms of having a competitive team on the field. The other half is in the context of development. The majority of recruits we land are not ready to contribute right away, they have to gain strength, learn and refine technique, and gain the football iq to function at a higher level of competition. That takes time and is ultimately a numbers game. Out of the 25 recruits brought in each year, if you develop 15 into competitive players over a 5 year career you are doing good. If that number can be closer to 20, you are really good. 4) Film doesn't lie. This staff has clearly identified traits that they believe translate to developmental success. To my eye they have gotten more and more selective with who they bring in, and it shows in the athletic and physical traits of the kids they have brought in each cycle. For instance, it is clear they covet speed/suddenness and length. They also recruit to very specific skill sets and are not afraid to throw numbers at a given skill set. More important than that though is they've shown the ability to actually develop players. The physical transformations alone are awe-inspiring to anyone who had been paying attention. It's a long process, but it will pay off... just give it time.

A few thoughts aimed at everyone throwing shade on this class: 1) keep in mind that this is early in the cycle and the majority of the two and three star kids haven't received full evaluations (many of them haven't been evaluated at all). It's a long process that will carry into the early winter months. I'd pay more attention to the rankings after signing day, right now they are incomplete, the same as our class, so the rankings should be viewed with the caveat that they are also incomplete. Anything else is disingenuous if not malicious. 2) It's an open question whether rankings encompass the relative ability now, or the perceived potential of a given recruit. I would argue that the evaluators have no choice but to rank according to current skill and ability, since trying to project development is difficult at best and in truth is a fools errand. You never know how a kid is going to develop or how hard he is going to work, how much more he is going to grow or how close to his ceiling he is, etc. When ranking over 1000 prospects in a cycle, you really have no choice but to rank according to what you can see, and I think the rankings bear that out. The 5 stars are easy to identify as they are bigger, faster, and far more skilled than their peers. They are ready to contribute immediately at the P5 level. After that it gets murky, and as others have pointed out, the differences between similarly ranked recruits is barely perceptible, let alone significant. 3) This flies in the face of the recruiting strategy a program like Syracuse must employ. If you can't bring in recruits that are clearly ready to contribute you are forced to project development and ultimately gamble on those projections. It's another reason why you hear Dino constantly referring to depth. Half of the depth concern is practical in terms of having a competitive team on the field. The other half is in the context of development. The majority of recruits we land are not ready to contribute right away, they have to gain strength, learn and refine technique, and gain the football iq to function at a higher level of competition. That takes time and is ultimately a numbers game. Out of the 25 recruits brought in each year, if you develop 15 into competitive players over a 5 year career you are doing good. If that number can be closer to 20, you are really good. 4) Film doesn't lie. This staff has clearly identified traits that they believe translate to developmental success. To my eye they have gotten more and more selective with who they bring in, and it shows in the athletic and physical traits of the kids they have brought in each cycle. For instance, it is clear they covet speed/suddenness and length. They also recruit to very specific skill sets and are not afraid to throw numbers at a given skill set. More important than that though is they've shown the ability to actually develop players. The physical transformations alone are awe-inspiring to anyone who had been paying attention. It's a long process, but it will pay off... just give it time.

SU played 5 freshmen who were major contributors last year (not including the long snapper). Even for a "developmental" program like SU's, we should expect several freshman every year who are contributors right off the bat.

SU played 5 freshmen who were major contributors last year (not including the long snapper). Even for a "developmental" program like SU's, we should expect several freshman every year who are contributors right off the bat.
I don’t remember any predictions for a significant contribution from Dre, Howard, Taj or the other Dre

I think that is part of the point Blizz is making which is we don’t know which guys are going to be contributors because the staff is making educated guesses about future production based on length, speed, and in person eval. This is what you have to do when you are recruiting largely outside the top 200-300 but if you evalute well and develop well you can put together a very competitive squad which eventually translates to higher win totals which in turn gives you a better shot at recruiting more out of the top 200-300

Did you ever own a multi-story home without air conditioning? You can open up all the windows you want, you're just circulating humid, stuffy air. It doesn't make a difference. I was referring to the fact that there is no air movement, per se, unless you are one of those STHs that sits at the very top of the dome where you can feel the vents.
I own a few multi story and 2 family homes...and that has nothing to do with the Dome. When was the last time you were in a multi story home that had pressurized air keeping the roof up.

Not sure you know this or not but it is kind of science, the Dome is pressurized to keep the roof up. Those vents are high up int he Dome and when they open them, the hot air rushes out allowing cool are in, kind of like when they open the doors when you exit the dome. This cools it down considerably. On hot days I am torn between my own comfort and the opposing players discomfort.

I normally opt for my own comfort and pray for the vents to be opened.

As time goes on, it should be more and more difficult for a frosh to displace an upperclassman. The argument cuts both ways. It can be viewed as the talent level of the incoming class being much better than the ones before them, it can also be looked at as a sign of poor existing depth. The success of last years freshmen definitely reflects well on the staff and should also give everyone who is pointing to the rankings right now a moment of pause.