LScott – 1/15 visit to Tulane, 1/22 visit to Harvard, 1/24 visit to Rutgirls

BHarper – Tulane

NBrouse – Villanova

CDeGeorge – UConn

WStubbs – Georgia State

BGinnetti –

SPalmer –

TRiggins –

Man that's disgusting to look at. Great job by this staff recognizing just how weak this class was. Just looking at that list most of those were early offers. Didn't understand accepting a lot of those commitments then, and don't even more now. Almost to a man, those are all guys that could have been put on the back burner while trying to get better talent interested.

Man that's disgusting to look at. Great job by this staff recognizing just how weak this class was. Just looking at that list most of those were early offers. Didn't understand accepting a lot of those commitments then, and don't even more now. Almost to a man, those are all guys that could have been put on the back burner while trying to get better talent interested.

Well...maybe they weren't able to get better talent interested. And that is even a bigger problem than taking flyers too early. 3 kids, maybe, end up at P5 schools out of that list.

And I have to admit, you challenged a lot of the guys on that list and took flack for it and you were right.

Well...maybe they weren't able to get better talent interested. And that is even a bigger problem than taking flyers too early. 3 kids, maybe, end up at P5 schools out of that list.

And I have to admit, you challenged a lot of the guys on that list and took flack for it and you were right.

I understand that they took kids that they felt that they could get, but they most likely realized these were going to be guys that weren't going to attract too much P5 attention. Why not stay in touch, and keep them as back up plans while you continue to search. If you get to late December and still have a small commit list, then you let them commit.

And yes I did catch a lot of grief for stating my opinion on a lot of those kids. Just like last year with a few of them we moved on from. I'm always going to support the program, I just don't understand why you have to blindly go head over heels with every move the coaches make. Part of the fun of being a fan is discussing moves like this. It just usually gets taken to another level with the "trust the staff guys".

I really think that list, combined with last year, has proven that Shafer's recruiting prowess was greatly exaggerated by a lot of people.

I understand that they took kids that they felt that they could get, but they most likely realized these were going to be guys that weren't going to attract too much P5 attention. Why not stay in touch, and keep them as back up plans while you continue to search. If you get to late December and still have a small commit list, then you let them commit.

And yes I did catch a lot of grief for stating my opinion on a lot of those kids. Just like last year with a few of them we moved on from. I'm always going to support the program, I just don't understand why you have to blindly go head over heels with every move the coaches make. Part of the fun of being a fan is discussing moves like this. It just usually gets taken to another level with the "trust the staff guys".

I really think that list, combined with last year, has proven that Shafer's recruiting prowess was greatly exaggerated by a lot of people.

It's going on now as well with Babers. Now granted, unlike Shafer, he has a track record to back it up. Still, some seem to view him as infallible. Babers was number one on my list for realistic hires. I look forward to an exciting offense and future bowl games. That being said, it's still a step up from the MAC to the ACC. I expect him to do well at Syracuse, but after the last decade and a half, I'm not going into any coaching change, or season for that matter blindly optimistic.

It's going on now as well with Babers. Now granted, unlike Shafer, he has a track record to back it up. Still, some seem to view him as infallible. Babers was number one on my list for realistic hires. I look forward to an exciting offense and future bowl games. That being said, it's still a step up from the MAC to the ACC. I expect him to do well at Syracuse, but after the last decade and a half, I'm not going into any coaching change, or season for that matter blindly optimistic.

Agree on all fronts.

Agree on all fronts.

What... y'all saying you are going into the season with your "eyes wide open". ;)

I give the benefit of the doubt until it's not warranted. With Babers, he's had success in his first two HC stints and he knows the players he needs for both his offense and defense to be successful. So that's why I am not challenging any of the personnel decisions he is making in regards to this current recruiting class because I believe what he is doing in retaining only the kids he feels make sense in regards to his systems is the right move. Plus I have no baseline for his staff recruiting at a P5 school so I look at the videos and see if I see what they're seeing. And I do for the most part so far.

Shafer had a really strong, on paper, 2014 class but I think people started to sour after the top 3 or 4 players in that class didn't qualify or ended up getting recruited over. His classes were strong in the middle but his reaches are starting to look like kids that don't belong anywhere near a P5 roster and the top end of his classes were either completely missing (2013) or were big disappointments (2014 - Edouard, KJ Williams, Long, Enoicy; 2015 - Blair) where the 4 star kids didn't amount to much. And the 2015 class, at least what he had in place prior to being removed, looks now like more reaches than anything else. So looking back on it now, yes, the criticism that started with his 2015 class and carried into the 2016 class now seems warranted.

What... y'all saying you are going into the season with your "eyes wide open". ;)

Mine couldn't be wider. I've been wanting a HC with Babers style for a while. Can't wait to see what unfolds.

I give the benefit of the doubt until it's not warranted. With Babers, he's had success in his first two HC stints and he knows the players he needs for both his offense and defense to be successful. So that's why I am not challenging any of the personnel decisions he is making in regards to this current recruiting class because I believe what he is doing in retaining only the kids he feels make sense in regards to his systems is the right move. Plus I have no baseline for his staff recruiting at a P5 school so I look at the videos and see if I see what they're seeing. And I do for the most part so far.

Shafer had a really strong, on paper, 2014 class but I think people started to sour after the top 3 or 4 players in that class didn't qualify or ended up getting recruited over. His classes were strong in the middle but his reaches are starting to look like kids that don't belong anywhere near a P5 roster and the top end of his classes were either completely missing (2013) or were big disappointments (2014 - Edouard, KJ Williams, Long, Enoicy; 2015 - Blair) where the 4 star kids didn't amount to much. And the 2015 class, at least what he had in place prior to being removed, looks now like more reaches than anything else. So looking back on it now, yes, the criticism that started with his 2015 class and carried into the 2016 class now seems warranted.

Agree. The middles were always solid, but the top guys for the most part didn't qualify, and the bottom were extreme reaches.

For 2015, You can't expect to get much from a coach with no extension. No coach is ever going to be able to effectively recruit unless they have at least 2 yrs left on contract. That's why we all laugh at Illinois for only giving Cubit 2 yrs. There is no way he will be able to effectively recruit players. That's why coaches are given extensions before they ever reach the end of their contracts. If anyone is to blame for deficiencies in the recruiting class this year, it is Coyle, or maybe Syverud. I understand why they did what they did, and even the timetable, but ultimately it cost us limitations on the classes upside.

anyone going to do a compare of where we were before the coaching change and where we are now? so many comings and goings its hard to keep track of if its trending up/down or just a lateral slide?

looking at where the decommits ended up it seems like upgrade is taking place. but as you say most of this will be 2-3 years down the road

He's killing it. McDonald who? Smh

It's just as impressive to me the Florida kids he had on the hook like Hamilton etc in such short time. Give Monroe a full year.
Agreed and the word is that he's pretty darn good DB coach also. McF***it not so much...plus he seemed to hone in on kids with academic issues.

I'm having a hard time tracking who on the staff should really get credit for the recent commits so if anyone sees anything off with the list let me know. I'm putting my best guess in there if I can't find confirmation somewhere.

Still need to add McKinley Williams, Rashad Smith and Devin Butler. Think I've got everyone else and moved Holloway down to the decommit pool.

anyone going to do a compare of where we were before the coaching change and where we are now? so many comings and goings its hard to keep track of if its trending up/down or just a lateral slide?

Based on the offers the new kids have already received, it seems pretty clear to me that we are upgrading talent over what Shafer had in this class. That's why I posted a couple weeks ago that "Dino's on Fire". Now that he got SEVEN commits from the weekend, and has another group coming in next week, I am feeling like we are solidifying the talent base.

Still need to add McKinley Williams, Rashad Smith and Devin Butler. Think I've got everyone else and moved Holloway down to the decommit pool.
Holloway is still listing himself on Twitter as a Syracuse commit, fwiw.

MBrinson – 1/15 visit to Georgia State, 1/22 visit to Indiana

DParker - 1/22 visit to Indiana

LScott – 1/15 visit to Tulane, 1/22 visit to Harvard, 1/24 visit to Rutgirls

BHarper – Tulane

NBrouse – Villanova flipped to UConn

CDeGeorge – UConn

WStubbs – Georgia State

BGinnetti –

SPalmer –

TRiggins – UMASS

And now Palmer to UMASS. So, either Shafer's 2016 class wasn't what we all thought it was cracked up to be or these kids are scrambling to find a place to land. I'm going to go with the former.

I thought UMASS was a good school academically. Am I wrong?

I thought UMASS was a good school academically. Am I wrong?

UMass is not UMass/Amherst. You're probably thinking of Amherst as having an excellent academic reputation. UMass not so much.

UMass is not UMass/Amherst. You're probably thinking of Amherst as having an excellent academic reputation. UMass not so much.

UMass football is at Amherst - they play their home games at Gillette though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom