Red MUST win a National Championship | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Red MUST win a National Championship

Love the spirit of OP.

But it's so insanely difficult to win 6 single elimination games in a row with a bunch of college kids even if you have the best team.
This sums it up perfectly. I'll never understand why so many otherwise intelligent people can't grasp this.

I think the goal should be to get to Final Fours. Think about it, only 10 schools can win a championship over a decade. I do think we need to temper initial expectations as Red is not an experienced head coach and he has to change to playing style of the team. Sure, the portal can help, but you really need to recruit and develop players.

That’s why I’m concerned that bell is returning. Did red promise him minutes along with Taylor and Cope? These guys need to be 6-7/8th men at best.
Bell needs to be like Naheim Aleyne for UConn, a sniper off the bench. Not a starter. At least next season. He has a lot of work to do on his game.

No excuse we need to be contenders year in and year out. What does that mean? To me it means being a top 25 team yearly. No excuses. If you do that you will always feel like “we got a chance”. I haven’t felt like we have had a true chance to compete for a natty in a decade.

We are better off chasing Duke or Carolina for titles. Uconn is pretty well set up to win another with this group even if they lose everyone projected to go in the 2nd round currently.

We're lucky Red doesn't have to cut his teeth in the NBE and gets a very down ACC to break into. I'm optimistic about JJ, Judah, and Jesse leading the way next year but lets be honest we are still a bubble team at best if Bell and Benny are our starting wings those guys wouldn't play a single minute of a tournament game if they were on Uconn.

None of us want Uconn to win but that doesn’t mean we should diminish what they’ve done or what they’re about to do. They peaked at the perfect time and are playing dominant basketball.
And they got lucky with their path.

I wish that were true but the expectations and standards have slipped for many Syracuse fans.
Well if thats not the standard our programs aligned with after a couple years of restructuring then we need to find an AD ready to make a splash in a national search.

No more Dino’s Coyle’s guy and he inherited the JB problem.

2023, 2024 and 2025 should show us ADJW’s worth.

What are the odds Hurley gets poached by say Kentucky in the next year or two?

We are better off chasing Duke or Carolina for titles. Uconn is pretty well set up to win another with this group even if they lose everyone projected to go in the 2nd round currently.

We're lucky Red doesn't have to cut his teeth in the NBE and gets a very down ACC to break into. I'm optimistic about JJ, Judah, and Jesse leading the way next year but lets be honest we are still a bubble team at best if Bell and Benny are our starting wings those guys wouldn't play a single minute of a tournament game if they were on Uconn.
Hawkins is definitely going 1st round

Hawkins is definitely going 1st round
Im praying they lose tomorrow but not rooting against any of their players draft stocks I'd hope this tournament run helps these guys get called earlier. They look the part to me Jackson and Sonogo too.

It truly disgusts me how the NBA currently has no use for dominant college players like Edey, Tcshimbwe, or Garza and makes those guys earn their way up through the G league and being undrafted. They typically make it anyway and outproduce half of the lottery.

Lol. Let’s sign Chance Westry though just because he was ranked higher than our guys in HS even though he had worse stats by farr than Taylor.

Little snippet - the turnover rate ( small sampling) is a concern. Jalen Carey vibes a bit...

I need more info, please. Are you like a Betty White 62 or an Artie Lange 62?
Right in the middle . I think I’m a little beat down and made a very negative comment which I usually try to avoid here ( God knows there are enough without me) Watching the football season run from magical to ho hum, Watching hoops tourneyless 2 years in a row. I think back to Ps departur . After the Mac/P period . now about 20 years and football is still not back. Even the spring fall back on Lax dominance is a million miles away. There is no way to predict accurately with the portal and NIL . So as I already stated , my post was a gut reaction.

Since the field expanded in 1985 which is going on 40 years now only 19 programs have won a national title and if you extend it back to 1970 only 22 programs have won a title. Despite what UConn has been able to do winning this thing is not even close to being easy

Should be any top 25 programs standard and its foolish to say otherwise.

Rings or get steppin

This.

The goal should be top 25 every year and single digit seed in the tournament, solid recruiting, and effective coaching ... that should be the expectation.

Do those things and the rest will come.

FF'S AND Natty's are as much draw/matchups and luck as the above... But if you are doing the above, you set yourself up for that run of luck and can seize opportunity when it happens.

UCONN has had more than their share of luck, but they have taken care of business and while I won't say Hurley is a "good" coach, he is an effective coach and gets his players to perform (as much as it pains me to say that.)

Last edited:
Right in the middle . I think I’m a little beat down and made a very negative comment which I usually try to avoid here ( God knows there are enough without me) Watching the football season run from magical to ho hum, Watching hoops tourneyless 2 years in a row. I think back to Ps departur . After the Mac/P period . now about 20 years and football is still not back. Even the spring fall back on Lax dominance is a million miles away. There is no way to predict accurately with the portal and NIL . So as I already stated , my post was a gut reaction.

You're a Bea Arthur 62.

This.

Top 25 every year with solid recruiting and effective coaching should be the mark.

Do that and the rest will come.

FF'S AND Natty's are as much draw/matchups and luck as the above... But if you are doing the above, you set yourself up for that run of luck and can seize opportunity when it happens.

UCONN has had more than their share of luck, but they have taken care of business and while I won't say Hurley is a "good" coach, he is an effective coach and gets his players to perform (as much as it pains me to say that.)

All you can do is play whos in front of you.

Good on UConn for capitalizing.

Also, f@&$ them.

I think a few things can be true.

UConn, as much as it makes my skin crawl, did not luck into anything. I hate UConn, I’ve hated UConn, I will always hate UConn. I hate Hurley. I still hate Voskuhl. El-Amin. You name it. But they did what was needed to fight and claw to stay relevant on the national scene and are likely about to get their fifth title.

We have not.

With them and now St Johns and GTown, Red and the staff need to be hitting the pavement 24/7.

Starling is a great start. If we get Jesse and Judah back. Awesome. In the mix for Westry/Hunter, fantastic.

We need to land a few more dudes. We need Red to be able to translate it into on court success.

If the off-season comes together, it would be amazing to make a splash in Maui and get back into the discussion about teams that matter.

All jokes aside, the complacency and low expectations this program seemingly settled into having the last few years seems to be gone. Recruiting the best (and not just the most convenient) players and actually winning some of those battles, ACC titles, and national titles absolutely need to be the goals once again.

If we get Dickinson and Judah and Jesse come back, that would be the most talent we’ve had since probably 2014, and we’d immediately be “back”.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom