Red MUST win a National Championship | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Red MUST win a National Championship

What seeds has UConn played in the title game? Remarkable.
1999 and 2004 were legitimately great teams. 2011 was kind of similar to our 2013 team in that they started great, went on a huge slump in February but everything came together in March (they rode Kemba, we rode an impenetrable defense). 2014 was lucky. This year UConn got very fortunate with their draw, but I mean, this is a team that beat Alabama earlier in the year and is near the top of every advanced metric. They’re for real.

1999 and 2004 were legitimately great teams. 2011 was kind of similar to our 2013 team in that they started great, went on a huge slump in February but everything came together in March (they rode Kemba, we rode an impenetrable defense). 2014 was lucky. This year UConn got very fortunate with their draw, but I mean, this is a team that beat Alabama earlier in the year and is near the top of every advanced metric. They’re for real.
They are good and the path has been forgiving. Both true.

Let's face it, if Kansas goes 16 for 30 from the line, we don't win the natty we've got. They wetn 12 for 30. Get good every year and things are more likely to break your way. Go 19-14 every year for 9 years and they won't.

What if Heinrich doesn’t airball his first three and he gets a little more confidence?

What if Keith Bogans doesn’t hurt his ankle in 2003

What if Wayne Simien doesn’t get hurt

What if we got a two seed…but got shipped out to another region

Etc etc etc

Red absolutely must do whatever it takes to win a National Championship within the next 7 to 8 years (ideally sooner). Program nearly died under Boeheim over the past decade. The standard must be National Championships and do whatever it takes to get it done. Watching UConn about to luck into another title is absolutely unacceptable.

Syracuse has to have a gut check and make the decision on what standard they want. It’s titles or bust.
Ok

They are good and the path has been forgiving. Both true.

In the end, and the only thing that truly & ultimately matters, is that they're "striving for five" and we still are stuck on one. Both true.

What if Heinrich doesn’t airball his first three and he gets a little more confidence?

What if Keith Bogans doesn’t hurt his ankle in 2003

What if Wayne Simien doesn’t get hurt

What if we got a two seed…but got shipped out to another region

Etc etc etc
Team went through Oklahoma 1 seed. Then excellent Texas and Kansas teams . Talk about a deserved NC

Red absolutely must do whatever it takes to win a National Championship within the next 7 to 8 years (ideally sooner). Program nearly died under Boeheim over the past decade. The standard must be National Championships and do whatever it takes to get it done. Watching UConn about to luck into another title is absolutely unacceptable.

Syracuse has to have a gut check and make the decision on what standard they want. It’s titles or bust.
What does what UCONN is doing have to do with SU winning a championship? Let's give the guy a chance to put his stamp on the program. The schools we need to defeat are ACC schools. Let's get a bye in the the first two rounds of our conference tourney, get in the NCAA Tourney and see what our match ups are.

Team went through Oklahoma 1 seed. Then excellent Texas and Kansas teams . Talk about a deserved NC

Every team who wins “deserves it.” If UConn didn’t deserve it in 2014 who did? F@@$ all one-loss Florida had to do was beat a seven and eight seed in the Fonal Four.

Like I said before you can only play who’s in front of you.

And luck is a cruel mistress…

What does what UCONN is doing have to do with SU winning a championship? Let's give the guy a chance to put his stamp on the program. The schools we need to defeat are ACC schools. Let's get a bye in the the first two rounds of our conference tourney, get in the NCAA Tourney and see what our match ups are.

Simple... Recruiting.

They've gotten a number of the tier 1 recruits we wanted and couldn't land.

You have to get the talent to be consistently competitive and win big games.

I am 100% behind Red and hope he can turn that around and we start consistently getting the tier 1 talent to build teams that can compete for trophies.

We’ve lost key recruits to UConn over the past 4 years since Hurley took over, most notably Andre Jackson. Hurley was hired by UConn and recruited him hard, grabbing him from us (who were the favorite for a while). He stated one of the reasons he went to UConn was because Hurley as the head coach recruited him and it meant a lot to him. JB’s lack of recruiting effort over the past decade really made a difference and was the most significant factor leading to our decline.

Last edited:
We’ve lost key recruits to UConn over the past 4 years since Hurley took over, most notably Andre Jackson. Hurley was hired by UConn and recruited him hard, grabbing him from us (who were the favorite for a while). He stated one of the reasons he went to UConn was because Hurley as the head coach recruited him and it meant a lot to him. JB’s lack of recruiting effort over the past decade really made a difference and was the most significant factor leading to our decline.

Moving to the Big East may have also been a factor.

You are free to accept mediocrity.
Never said he would would accept mediocrity. Up to 2003 SU had been to 3 FF losing the first 2. All within JB's first 30 + years. To expect/demand a NC in 7 or 8 years is just silly. Expect making the tourny without being on the bubble, fine. Want a S16 or E8, ok. FF would be fantastic but hardly demandable .

How many recruits said they didn’t want to come to SU because they didn’t want to play in the ACC?

It definitely helped UConn to move back to the Big East as they were dying in the AAC, but I don’t think it’s been a contributing factor to SU’s decline.

Perhaps. But whatever the reasons they have outrecruited us and gotten better players.

Regardless of what you think of Hurley, he knows it and knows it’s huge part of their current success.

How many recruits said they didn’t want to come to SU because they didn’t want to play in the ACC?

It definitely helped UConn to move back to the Big East as they were dying in the AAC, but I don’t think it’s been a contributing factor to SU’s decline.

I just mean it may behave been what punched Andre Jackson over the edge to UConn. Nothing more or less.

I’m 62, but I don’t think I will see SU in another FF. Hope I’m wrong. UConn has the right formula, Top level talent peaking at the right time.
I definitely deserved being hit with a Red High Heel ! Surprised it took so long .

UConn and Nova can win 5 titles over a 12 year period but we won’t get to another final four in your lifetime? Man, Cuse fans have low standards. Boeheim really wrecked the program over the past decade.
Over the last 10 years we did got to two final fours. We had one losing season. The program wasn't ruined or wrecked. We aren't what we were, no question. Time for a change for sure. But a little perspective wouldn't hurt either.

Never said he would would accept mediocrity. Up to 2003 SU had been to 3 FF losing the first 2. All within JB's first 30 + years. To expect/demand a NC in 7 or 8 years is just silly. Expect making the tourny without being on the bubble, fine. Want a S16 or E8, ok. FF would be fantastic but hardly demandable .
Nova has two titles within the past 7 years

UConn is about to get their 3rd within 12 years.

Yet so many here are content with Sweet 16’s and an occasional FF. That standard is exactly what led to JB staying on for a good 5 to 7 years too long.

If Red is on year 7 or 8 and we’re still a perennial bubble team then he’s not the guy. This is Syracuse basketball. Our expectations should be to put a team on the court that has the potential to win a National Championship each year. Red has to get us back to that level. If he does that than I believe the end result will be a NC.

Over the last 10 years we did got to two final fours. We had one losing season. The program wasn't ruined or wrecked. We aren't what we were, no question. Time for a change for sure. But a little perspective wouldn't hurt either.
The 2013 was good, but I wouldn’t put it among the top SU teams of all time. Would have loved to win a title that year but they were overmatched vs Michigan and wouldn’t have beat a loaded Lville.

2016 was great to make a FF. That team clearly overachieved on a bit of a Cinderella run in March. They got run out of the building vs UNC. They were never a legit title contender.

I want Red to put legitimate title contenders on the floor each year. Top 10 teams loaded with talent. Let’s face it, we’re never going to luck into a title. We need to put a great team together to win a title.

My standard is to be curious, rather than nervous or depressed, on selection Sunday. After that,

The 2013 was good, but I wouldn’t put it among the top SU teams of all time. Would have loved to win a title that year but they were overmatched vs Michigan and wouldn’t have beat a loaded Lville.

2016 was great to make a FF. That team clearly overachieved on a bit of a Cinderella run in March. They got run out of the building vs UNC. They were never a legit title contender.

I want Red to put legitimate title contenders on the floor each year. Top 10 teams loaded with talent. Let’s face it, we’re never going to luck into a title. We need to put a great team together to win a title.
We won 30 games and lost on a questionable call against Michigan. We weren’t overmatched. That team had better metrics than our national title team. And ffs we beat Louisville in Louisville that season. You can be mad how things ended with JB, but the exaggerations don’t need to happen. Ridiculous. And I agree with most of your point, but this is why people push back at some anti JB sentiment.

We won 30 games and lost on a questionable call against Michigan. We weren’t overmatched. That team had better metrics than our national title team. And ffs we beat Louisville in Louisville that season. You can be mad how things ended with JB, but the exaggerations don’t need to happen. Ridiculous. And I agree with most of your point, but this is why people push back at some anti JB sentiment.

We beat them away, lost a close one at home and then god only knows what happened at MSG. I mean we wouldn’t be favored but it’s not impossible.

We'd averaged giving up 50 points per fame in getting to the 2013Ff, gave up 36 in the firs thalf vs. Michigan, put the clamps back on to give up 25 in the second half but the bad first half and some questionable calls at the end did us in. I agree that beating Louisville in the final would have been difficult but we did it in the regular season and blew a 16 point second half lead in the BET final.

Nova has two titles within the past 7 years

UConn is about to get their 3rd within 12 years.

Yet so many here are content with Sweet 16’s and an occasional FF. That standard is exactly what led to JB staying on for a good 5 to 7 years too long.

If Red is on year 7 or 8 and we’re still a perennial bubble team then he’s not the guy. This is Syracuse basketball. Our expectations should be to put a team on the court that has the potential to win a National Championship each year. Red has to get us back to that level. If he does that than I believe the end result will be a NC.

We were 100% not over matched against Mich. Anything but. Did you watch the game? Two suspect offensive foul calls went against us late in the game or we win that game. We lost by 5 pts? Plus, the Ville had just beat us in the Big East tournament and due in large part to Ware hurting us. He got hurt in the semi and wouldn't have been there.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom