Ref Reviews, challanges, Questions | Syracusefan.com

Ref Reviews, challanges, Questions

kcsu

Living Legend
What is the status of Reviews on questionable calls and how many challanges does a coach get each game?

Being at the game these calls really seemed off.

SU interception which was called out of bounds
Roughing the punter
The interception on Kyle
Targeting that was waived.

Were any of them reviewed and if not why? Also do coaches still get to challenge?

Targeting was reviewed. If that isn't targeting then take the rule out of the rulebook.

I believe they looked at the interception that wasn't.

The other two don't think so, TV barely gave a look at the Deuce pic.

Running into the punter, not roughing. And was legit. Punter sold it a bit with a world class flop but there was contact.
On the interception I originally thought DPI but on rewatch, while there was some contact by the DB going back to get the ball it was minimal and really did not affect the WR. It was not a poorly thrown ball at all and would have been a big gain if Hatcher (?) had the presence the DB did and made the back shoulder catch. He just didn’t seem to have awareness of where the ball was.

Running into the punter, not roughing. And was legit. Punter sold it a bit with a world class flop but there was contact.
On the interception I originally thought DPI but on rewatch, while there was some contact by the DB going back to get the ball it was minimal and really did not affect the WR. It was not a poorly thrown ball at all and would have been a big gain if Hatcher (?) had the presence the DB did and made the back shoulder catch. He just didn’t seem to have awareness of where the ball was.
my question live on the punter was he was doing the Aussie roll type punt and he only gets limited protection from that and he was on the edge of the pocket.

I had the same thoughts on the targeting call Bayside. If that is not called, then get rid of the rule in its entirety.

How can an officiating crew look at that play, with a defenseless player, and the Ohio player leading with the crown of his helmet making forcible contact with the head of the Syracuse player not get called targeting.

Either that, or not let this rule be enforced by the replay conference officials calling the game. Make it reviewed by an independent group whose only focus / job is enforcing targeting plays.

Contact from his own team. Also SU players were forced into the pile of people by Ohio players. That is a bad call by referees.

I had the same thoughts on the targeting call Bayside. If that is not called, then get rid of the rule in its entirety.

How can an officiating crew look at that play, with a defenseless player, and the Ohio player leading with the crown of his helmet making forcible contact with the head of the Syracuse player not get called targeting.

Either that, or not let this rule be enforced by the replay conference officials calling the game. Make it reviewed by an independent group whose only focus / job is enforcing targeting plays.
Not only was the targeting call missed by the crew, the "review" was a complete joke. Unfortunate that the "control room" down in petticoat junction is non-functional again this year. And no one mentioned the blatant holding of our DE on the long run by AT3. I sit on the visitor side (114) and everyone on that side of the building saw the hold ... everyone except the side judge who must have been scratching his crotch. Incompetent officiating is bad enough. But for the ACC to have the Musicians of Bremen running the control room is really pathetic - how many more years will it go on?

unnamed.jpg

Roughing/running into the kicker is not reviewable unless there's potential targeting involved, and then it's only the potential targeting that would be reviewed.

Deuce was out when he secured the ball from what it looked like on TV.

He never juggled it imo, but we never saw a slow frame by frame replay, so who knows. Was was worth a more scrutinized look.

the Simmons block below the waist call was another horrendous flag. The call exists to prevent defenders from diving at a blockers legs. Simmons was blocked to the ground and then the defender fell on him. On his back nonetheless. You can’t even say maybe on this one. Absurd call

(And Simmons was actually being held prior to the fall as you can see his jersey being pulled before they fall to the ground which is the reason he fell in the first place!)

Also, what about the fumble? Seems like that should've been an auto review? Only reason I can think of that it wasn't reviewed was maybe they somehow recovered it?

the Simmons block below the waist call was another horrendous flag. The call exists to prevent defenders from diving at a blockers legs. Simmons was blocked to the ground and then the defender fell on him. On his back nonetheless. You can’t even say maybe on this one. Absurd call

(And Simmons was actually being held prior to the fall as you can see his jersey being pulled before they fall to the ground which is the reason he fell in the first place!)
Ohio 57 was holding the whole time. Was never called, not once.

If a punter starts to run forward can't, he be tackled? The Aussie style needs to be discussed by the rules committee.

The drunk guy in front of me claimed a Syracuse player pushed into the guy that ended up targeting our guy.

Interesting the ACC condensed game skips so many plays when you try to review these things

Just watched the entire replay. Slow mowed the duce int, looked legit with just the toe down in bounds, and the heel was close but didn’t look to have hit ob. Regardless should have been reviewed it was that close.

Punter deserved an academy award. Barely touched and flopped. Bs call.

The amount of holding not called on Ou was criminal esp on their td’s.

Everything called in Barron was legit. Should be benched if there is anyone capable behind him. Inexcusable.

The ou fumble was no fumble. Knee down.

The chase Simmons “blocking below the waist” was the #1 worst call I’ve ever seen in my entire sporting life.

As described above, dude is trying to come off a block toward the play, larger taller OU OL pushes him down essentially pancaking him down on his stomach. Then the OL friggin trips over him after pushing our defender to the ground. Worst call I’ve ever seen. Blatant cheating.

Second worst call I’ve ever seen in my life was not calling the targeting. WTaF

The int from Kyle Was like his interception last year in the Michigan game that cost them the game. Was actually the receivers fault for not finishing the pattern in that game last year at Michigan.

This one was our receiver lazily not fighting aggressively enough to make a play on ball giving a gift interception. Hatcher also missed another gimme elsewhere and would not be surprised if his playing time starts to be ratcheted back.

This was essentially of of the Worst refereed games I’ve ever seen in my life, if not the worst, and there have been quite a few others. The fact we still schooled them despite, signals good things for us.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tucker

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom